Need Guitar Help!

Posted by Sean Fury

Hm...I'm trying to think of the easiest way to say what I need...I've been playing guitar for a year, maybe a year and a half now, and everything I've learned is thanks to my dad (and to a much lesser degree my guitar teacher during Senior year, because all we did was study chords really) and I've had to learn everything else on my own after this. I love playing my guitar and I believe I'm getting decently good, but I need to learn some more advanced techniques (finger placements, sweep picking, etc.) and I've got no one to tell me where to go from here and it's kinda bugging me so I turn to VGC for answers! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Too lazy to bother and I hate teaching guitar. But, Pit somewhat recently went through quite a bit of this and has become pretty **** good. I'm sure he'll be willing to help, assuming he sees this thread.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Too lazy to bother and I hate teaching guitar. But, Pit somewhat recently went through quite a bit of this and has become pretty **** good. I'm sure he'll be willing to help, assuming he sees this thread.

I wish I was good at detecting sarcasm, because I'm pretty sure Pit wouldn't even tell me what a guitar is.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Maybe, maybe not. Might be different since it's about a passion of his.

Posted by Hammered On

I know how to play guitar, like duh. If you're nice, maybe I'll teach you, even though you've done things to royally **** me off.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Hammered On: I know how to play guitar, like duh. If you're nice, maybe I'll teach you, even though you've done things to royally **** me off.

It's not that I need to learn how to play, I know how to play and I'm pretty good, but I want to get better, I want to be awesome, ya know? So I need to do anything I can to get better.

Posted by Hyper

It's called practice. :)

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Hyper: It's called practice. :)

I practice everyday for about two/three hours straight and than whenever I have free time I play.

Posted by Hyper

Then practice the stuff you want to learn and you'll learn it.

Posted by Omni

I think he just needs help to learn how to practice.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Google the techniques you want to learn, and do a Youtube search for videos of it being played. Study and practice until you have it right. Then find audio files of these being done (use Limewire or something), and play along.

Posted by Vasioth

Here, no offence, but if you practise for 2-3 hours a day, you should know this stuff. Ok, how to start...

First off all, what your trying to learn a technique, you need to see an example. Try a really Famous Guitarist like Steven Siro Vai (type his name in YouTube) and a lot of video's will pop-up and some will say certain techniques.

Now, Look up a guitar Music Website or Tab Descriptions to see some of the techniques your trying to learn. Get the basic Defination, then practise it.

And just lol, I played guitar for only 4 months and I basically know all those things and a lot more... that completely bites man...

Posted by Pit

Don't know how willing you are, but here dude.

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/chops.htm

First off, learn the arpeggios. It really, really does help, that's for one. Always use a metronome, especially for pick sweeps. That technique is on in which timing has to be perfect because the point is to go accross with of course, muting the strings as you go by, so you dont hear any notes ringing.

Of course, practicing your songs always help you along the way.

http://www.gprotab.net/

Vasioth, you may have only been playing for 4 months and you may know all these techniques, but from from my experience, its not good to hit those techniques so early in guitar development, because more than likely, you're doing it wrong.

Also, when practicing a sweep, play on a distorted channel.

Also, don't know how you practice, but you should always do warmups. Let it be scales, chord progression, etc. Help warm up your fingers, stretches, but to a metronome. It helps build a sense of timing, and you gradually speed yourself up, and it helps you play really precise.

That site has more than enough for you to progress fast.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Pit: Don't know how willing you are, but here dude.

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/chops.htm

First off, learn the arpeggios. It really, really does help, that's for one. Always use a metronome, especially for pick sweeps. That technique is on in which timing has to be perfect because the point is to go accross with of course, muting the strings as you go by, so you dont hear any notes ringing.

Of course, practicing your songs always help you along the way.

http://www.gprotab.net/

Vasioth, you may have only been playing for 4 months and you may know all these techniques, but from from my experience, its not good to hit those techniques so early in guitar development, because more than likely, you're doing it wrong.

Also, when practicing a sweep, play on a distorted channel.

Also, don't know how you practice, but you should always do warmups. Let it be scales, chord progression, etc. Help warm up your fingers, stretches, but to a metronome. It helps build a sense of timing, and you gradually speed yourself up, and it helps you play really precise.

That site has more than enough for you to progress fast.

I will definately practice all of that. Thanks a lot, Pit.

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting Pit: Vasioth, you may have only been playing for 4 months and you may know all these techniques, but from from my experience, its not good to hit those techniques so early in guitar development, because more than likely, you're doing it wrong.

Well yeah, it is expected to make mistakes from only playing for 4 months. But then, I've been pushed to the Limit by a really good guitarist for those last 4 months, so the mistakes I make are only minor now and again.

Oh, and awesome site's btw. I'll check them out aswell as Sean.

Posted by christinadeenadee

I don't know if you like bluegrass music, but it has a lot to do with picking and finger placement. This may help with your dexterity. You can get books that, instead of having music, have finger charts. They are a bit easier to read.

Posted by Pit

Yeah, bluegrass, chicken picking, buckethead does a lot of that, and check out govan geoffrey.

I know what you mean Vasioth. When I started playing, I think in my first two months, there were days in which i was locked in my room for over 24 hours of sleep, and very little food, just locked in my room playing guitar.

I don't have that time like I used to, since I went back to college and started work, but if you also target your practice sessions, you can get excellent sessions in just 2 hours, and probably improve a lot more than those people who would just randomly play the same improvs on the same scale pattern and not really improve.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Awww Kris...you're everything i'd hoped you turn out to be -sniffle-

Sup guitar thread?

edit:

As far as chops go, get a metronome. Those are irreplacable. Learn your major and minor keys, the modes and the notes for each, and practice each mode as per 3 notes per string as well as the "berklee" method. After that, practice interval jumping i.e.: 1st to 3rd, 2nd to 4th, 3rd to 5th, and so on.

As far as arpeggios, they're just triads. Learn your major and minor chords per key, and find the triads that they're bassed off of. 1st, 3rd, and 5th, and then invert.

Make sense?

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting MetalVox~55: Awww Kris...you're everything i'd hoped you turn out to be -sniffle-

Sup guitar thread?

edit:

As far as chops go, get a metronome. Those are irreplacable. Learn your major and minor keys, the modes and the notes for each, and practice each mode as per 3 notes per string as well as the "berklee" method. After that, practice interval jumping i.e.: 1st to 3rd, 2nd to 4th, 3rd to 5th, and so on.

As far as arpeggios, they're just triads. Learn your major and minor chords per key, and find the triads that they're bassed off of. 1st, 3rd, and 5th, and then invert.

Make sense?

I wish I understood what you just said. I get the major and minor keys, but the rest you just lost me. =/

Posted by rivercitytecmo

off-topic: it's nice to see i'm not the only one who dislikes sean.

Posted by Vasioth

Why post something that's going to cause havok when you know so yourself.

And rivercitytecmo, if that was aimed at me I have completely nothing against Sean at all. I just said I'm surprised he didn't know more =\ ...

Also, Sean, if you don't know what a Metronome is, this is [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronome ]It[/url].

If you were reffering to something else, please state :P and if you asked why I sent you a Wikipedia explination I didn't have time to type a whole explination up =\.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Vasioth: Why post something that's going to cause havok when you know so yourself.

And rivercitytecmo, if that was aimed at me I have completely nothing against Sean at all. I just said I'm surprised he didn't know more =\ ...

Also, Sean, if you don't know what a Metronome is, this is [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronome ]It[/url].

If you were reffering to something else, please state :P and if you asked why I sent you a Wikipedia explination I didn't have time to type a whole explination up =\.

I know what a metronome is, it's just that I'm not familiar with a lot of guitar terms. All I've done by myself and with my dad is learn various songs and power chords, and than I had a guitar class at school I took (just because it was guitar class) and it was primarily about chords. I'm not sure what to call them, but chords as in "C, A, D, E, G, etc." and near the end of the year we started learning bar chords. However, I was not interested in all with chords because I want to play lead, but it was good for raising my finger strength and getting in a lot of extra practice.

Posted by Vasioth

Ah, I know what you're getting at now.

Its kinda hard to explain. Ok, for starter's, arpeggios are excerises (excercises) for gaining strength in your fingers and speed. There fantastic to practise (practice) if you are on the way to become a lead guitarist.

But don't go straight onto solo's or anything like that. Learning your chords and your bar chords are just as important. Some Leads, lets take Steven Siro Vai for instance, also does some riffing which consist of just normal chords/power chords or bar chords.

A main term you need to get use to is Shredding though (For leads/soloists). I'm sorry if I'm being truly basic and its sorta degrading, but I guess you know these things.

Major and Minor keys are also a form of Diatonic scales. Basically, if you look up the scale, maybe on Google practically, you should get results on a site called "All-Guitar-Chords". This site also does scales and a result on that should re-direct you to it.

A Diatonic scale can go in patterns, take an example, on string 1: 1(D) 4(E) , ect. That wasn't an accurate example, but basically, on all the strings if some are marked D thats a pattern for D, ect.

I'm trying to explain it really fast, so everything I mentioned isn't 100% accurate. In the patterns, it also goes like Octaves. Octaves is the same thing, but in higher/lower fretts (Take Plug in Baby, you can play it in a way which sounds the same, but is more high pitched, ect).

If you still don't get some of the stuff, just list them out. If my explination was crap... then fair do's :P !

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Vasioth: And rivercitytecmo, if that was aimed at me I have completely nothing against Sean at all. I just said I'm surprised he didn't know more =\ ...

don't worry, it wasn't. i've never read one of your posts until right now.