Looking to buy a new video card

Posted by Spire

I am looking to buy a new video card and I was wondering if any of you could offer me some advice =]. I currently have a 256mb Radeon x600 Hypermemory, 1GB RAM, and a 3 ghz dual core processor. I run newer games on minimum to low settings, and games like Oblivion on very low settings with still below average framerates. Any suggestion on which card to get and where?

Posted by higbvuyb

Depends on how much money you have.
Nvidia cards:
On a tiny, tiny budget: Nvidia 6200/7300 Turbocache
Bigger budget - Nvidia 6600, 7600
Big budget - Nvidia 7900
Huge budget - Nvidia 7950 GX2
Budget larger than the US defence force - Nvidia 8800 GTX

Posted by Trigger

I'd recommend the nVidia GeForce 7900 GT myself, though the nVidia 6600 is pretty good for its money also. I was impressed by it.

Posted by KoH

I have the 7900 GT Sig Series. It's faster than yours. :)

I actually don't recommend buying a video card just yet. Wait till post-Vista release before you do anything. Otherwise you'll end up with a card that isn't Vista compatible and you won't be able to see the pretty visual effects!

Posted by Trigger

Unless you purchase hardware that specifically bears the symbol "Windows Vista Compatible."

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting KoH: I have the 7900 GT Sig Series. It's faster than yours. :)

I actually don't recommend buying a video card just yet. Wait till post-Vista release before you do anything. Otherwise you'll end up with a card that isn't Vista compatible and you won't be able to see the pretty visual effects!

I think you mean DirectX 10 Compliant, which isn't that important - most 'DirectX 10' games, if nto all, will run on older cards. A compatible card is already out, the NVidia 8800 GTS/GTX.

I personally have a 6200 TC, and recommend that you DO NOT get this card, or the 7300 TC.