Need Some Help Finding Music

Posted by Sean Fury

I'm looking for some new music to listen to, because I've been going through various phases of genres. Recently I was listening to a lot of Pop/Punk stuff (Fall Out Boy, New Found Glory, etc.) and than I switched back to Post-Hardcore (My Chemical Romance, Atreyu, Alexisonfire, etc.) back to Metal (Children of Bodom, Finntroll, Opeth, etc.) and now I need help finding what to listen to next.

Right now I'm listening to Powerman 5000 and I'm liking what I'm hearing (I liked Powerman 5000 before, but now I have all their albums). So, I /r/ moar bands like Powerman 5000, or at least of similar sound.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Ditch off Powerman 5000 and listen to Toto. Their best songs are "Africa", "Rosanna" and "Hold the Line". If not Toto, then Journey. Their best songs:

Don't Stop Believing
Seperate Ways
Loving, Touchin, Squeezin
Wheel in the Sky
Faithfully
Open Arms
Ask the Lonely
I'll be alright without you

Posted by G-Sides

i'm just going to throw some **** that's good generally out there and semi-fits your genres, so

listen to:
protest the hero (recc. "blindfolds aside," "she who mars the skin of the gods")

tomahawk (recc. "laredo," "flashback," "when the stars begin to fall")

the vandals (recc. "eurobarge," "don't stop me now," "illa zilla ladykilla")

buckethead (recc. "botnus," "descent of the damned," "the cobra's head")

butthole surfers (recc. "pepper," "who was in my room last night," basically everything off of Electric Larryland)

at the drive in (recc. "arc arsenal," "rolodex propaganda")

bad acid trip (recc. "cigarette pack, furious fists of jackie chan")

kenjoy

Posted by Shin-Ra

I don't know exactly what it is you find interesting about Powerman 5000. I haven't listened to them in aaaaaages, so I'm still kind of foggy on what all their music sounds like. But if memory serves me correctly, it's a more industrial influence, if it is listen to a lot of Ministry, Godflesh, Pain, Samael (later), KMFDM, Fear Factory, Revolting Cocks, Killing Joke, White Zombie, Mortiis (later), Android Lust, Ram-Zet, Red Harvest, Static X (early), Nine Inch Nails, etc. If you're more into the nu-metal side of Powerman 5000, listen to all the obvious crap.

Posted by Arwon

[url]www.pandora.com[/url]

That is all.

Posted by Omni

Okay, here's some bands I think you should listen to:

Soundgarden
Nine Inch Nails
Rob Zombie
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Alice In Chains
Mother Love Bone
GWAR
Pink Floyd
Queen
Stone Temple Pilots

That's enough for now.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Stop listening to ****ty music everyone forgot about ten years ago.

Posted by Omni

I don't know if you're talking to me, but a lot of my music was forgotten about long before that, or never remembered at all.

Him

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Ditch off Powerman 5000 and listen to Toto. Their best songs are "Africa", "Rosanna" and "Hold the Line". If not Toto, then Journey. Their best songs:

Don't Stop Believing
Seperate Ways
Loving, Touchin, Squeezin
Wheel in the Sky
Faithfully
Open Arms
Ask the Lonely
I'll be alright without you

I've listened to Toto and Journey before, and while I can say some of their stuff isn't bad, that's completely in the opposite direction Fei-on. =O

Quoting Arms: i'm just going to throw some **** that's good generally out there and semi-fits your genres, so

listen to:
protest the hero (recc. "blindfolds aside," "she who mars the skin of the gods")

tomahawk (recc. "laredo," "flashback," "when the stars begin to fall")

the vandals (recc. "eurobarge," "don't stop me now," "illa zilla ladykilla")

buckethead (recc. "botnus," "descent of the damned," "the cobra's head")

butthole surfers (recc. "pepper," "who was in my room last night," basically everything off of Electric Larryland)

at the drive in (recc. "arc arsenal," "rolodex propaganda")

bad acid trip (recc. "cigarette pack, furious fists of jackie chan")

kenjoy

Protest the Hero, Butthole Surfers, and At the Drive-In are all good, so I'll assume the rest is good as well.

Quoting Shin-Ra: I don't know exactly what it is you find interesting about Powerman 5000. I haven't listened to them in aaaaaages, so I'm still kind of foggy on what all their music sounds like. But if memory serves me correctly, it's a more industrial influence, if it is listen to a lot of Ministry, Godflesh, Pain, Samael (later), KMFDM, Fear Factory, Revolting Cocks, Killing Joke, White Zombie, Mortiis (later), Android Lust, Ram-Zet, Red Harvest, Static X (early), Nine Inch Nails, etc. If you're more into the nu-metal side of Powerman 5000, listen to all the obvious crap.

I already listen to most of those bands, save for a few I've never heard of, so I'll try them out if I can find any torrents/downloads.

Quoting Arwon: [url]www.pandora.com[/url]

That is all.

That is pretty cool.

Quoting Stone Cold Crazy: Okay, here's some bands I think you should listen to:

Soundgarden
Nine Inch Nails
Rob Zombie
Alice In Chains
Mother Love Bone
GWAR
Pink Floyd
Queen
Stone Temple Pilots

That's enough for now.

I like and/or have listened to most of them already. The ones I haven't I'll give a try.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Stop listening to ****ty music everyone forgot about ten years ago.

Note that I'm not asking/talking about Powerman 5000 but trying to find bands that sound similar. There's a difference.

There's not much similar without stretching the definition of similar that doesn't suck.

Posted by Omni

I said Rob Zombie because he's Spider One's brother. I've never really listened to Powerman 5000, but I hear mixed reviews. Since they're apparently a nu-metal influenced band, or something like that, I'm probably not going to rush to get any of their music. It's just not my kind of music. I do like some bands from the genre, but oh, well...

Posted by Raptor

What does /r/ mean? At least drop the douche code speak for this board, you nerd.

What Shin-Ra said mainly, especially Ministry and KMFDM. Give Laibach and Project Pitchfork a trial too.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

I'll list some artists that I think you might like along with my current favourite track by them (I recommend paying more attention to the artists than my favourite song though):

OK Go - C-C-C Cinnamon Lips
Le Tigre - Slide Show at Free University
The Church - Benieth the Milky Way Tonight
Garbage - I'm Only Happy When it Rains
An Endless Sporadic - Sun of Pearl
Dust for Life - Step Into the Light
Gun - Word Up
Bodyrockers - Round and Round
Ministry - Stigmata
Shocore - Bone Cracker
Big Country - Big Country
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me
Van Halen - Higher
Scorpions - The Zoo
Whitesnake - Here I Go again
Supertramp - Goodbye Stanger
The Bravery - Unconditional
Secondhand Serenade - Stay Close, Don't Go
Rufio - Out of Control
The Sugarcult - Hate Everything Beautiful Day
Billy Idol - White Wedding
Honeymoon Suite - What Does it Take
AC/DC - It's a Long Way to the Top
Faster Pussycat - Poison Ivy
Huey Lewis and the News - Power of Love
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I Hate Myself for Loving You
Loverboy - Hot Girls in Love
Nazareth - Now You're Messing With a Son of a *****
Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats - Rock This Town
The Aquabats - Pool Party
Lucky Boys Confusion - Dump Pop Song (I'm Gonna Steal Your Girlfriend)
Ordinary Boys - Little *****
Shadowy Men on a Shaodwy Planet - Zombie Compremise
The Meteors - If You Don't Want to **** Me Baby, **** Off
Smash Mouth - Walkin on the Sun
Whitetown - I Coul Never Be Your Woman
The Verve - Lucky Man
Ah Ha - The Living Daylights
The Cars - My Best Friends Girl
Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours
(OMD) Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Touch You Twice
Polymarchs - Laser Lights

That should do for now, there's so many good artists out there and music taste is always changing. I'm in a more Retro 80's phase right now, but just last week I was listening to stuff like JS Bach's Tocatta & Fugue all the time.

Posted by G-Sides

cinnamon lips is a ****ing gay song. i like ok go's old album but come on now. :(
also, that nazareth song is called "hair of the dog," not what you said.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting Stone Cold Crazy: Okay, here's some bands I think you should listen to:

Soundgarden
Nine Inch Nails
Rob Zombie
Alice In Chains
Mother Love Bone
GWAR
Pink Floyd
Queen
Stone Temple Pilots

That's enough for now.

I'm going to barf if I hear any of those one more time, except for Gwar and Queen.

Anyways, since everyone's recommending industrial, I won't let the thread go by without mentioning Lords of Acid, whom Ian/Corrupt recently got me into. Recommended tracks: "Pop Goes The Weasel" (or "Out Comes The Evil", not sure which is the real title) and "I Must Increase My Bust".

Posted by Hyper

Check out Gojira. I downloaded their stuff last night and liked it. Their newest album, "From Mars to Sirius (I think)," is all I heard though.

Posted by Raptor

Also, look for some Icon of Coil. Check out the album Machines Are Us. Quality EBM.

Check out Flashbulb, since Ian just got me hooked.

Posted by Sean Fury

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys, mostly everything (that I haven't already heard of and dis/liked) is being torrented as we speak. Wheeee.

Needs more black metal.

Emperor and Dimmu Borgir :-*

Posted by Shade

I just listened to a bit of Dimmu Borgir for the first time. Pretty good stuff. One question, does the guy EVER go into singing, or is it all straight-up growls?

No singing on their part.

And don't be gay and derep me for being the only person with the balls to be HONEST about Floyd. They're so overplayed around here, that if I listen to them one more time, I'm going to throw my radio at the wall. At this point, after hearing most of their catalog over 10,000 times, I'd only not want to change the station if I was stoned.

Posted by G-Sides

Hey wait, Borgir does have a guy who sings. Sings like a mo****in' angel. :| I hear him in Sympozium and Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, and there's probably others.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Shade32: I just listened to a bit of Dimmu Borgir for the first time. Pretty good stuff. One question, does the guy EVER go into singing, or is it all straight-up growls?

You started listening to a band who claims to be black metal and expected clean, flowery singing intended for immediate gratification and what is essentially a predictable formula of pop music - although it's supposed to "rebel" against it? Fuck, if it wasn't Dimmu Borgir I'd totally make fun of you right now, but fortunately they're everything I just described. And yeah, G-Sides is right. Vortex is the bassist/clean vocalist. I personally think it's ridiculous and complete crap, but when I was getting into the stuff it was pretty cool (especially if you like vocally dramatic bands like Nevermore). Be warned though, he totally sucks live.

He was only good in Borknagar. And that's not saying much. Though what album did you listen to anyways?

Quoted post: And don't be gay and derep me for being the only person with the balls to be HONEST about Floyd. They're so overplayed around here, that if I listen to them one more time, I'm going to throw my radio at the wall. At this point, after hearing most of their catalog over 10,000 times, I'd only not want to change the station if I was stoned.

Agreed. Floyd just gets on my nerves these days. NEEDS MOAR URIAH HEEP!