So...What's next-gen?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Anyone started saving clams for the next X-box or the Wii's successor? I remain hopeful that there will be no playstation 4 given sony's financial woes, so do you think someone new will attempt to fill the third slot in the console lineup, or will it be a glorious, epic Genesis vs. SNES-style fight? In any event, I'd say it's time to stop talking about ps3 and Wii on this board.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Stop talking? The systems just came out =/

Anywho, I couldn't even guess. That's upwards of six years away. I don't even have a Wii or PS3 yet.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Whats the bet that Sony's next-gen console will have a remote-like controller that senses the angle and speed of movement, is online 24/7, has web browser functionality, and allows you to make miniature avatars of yourself for use online & in games? ;)

...And it's called the PS4, and costs 50-75% more than the PS3? :p:

Quoted post: has web browser functionality, and allows you to make miniature avatars of yourself for use online & in games?

Has a fully-featured web browser already, and you can most likely snap a picture of yourself with the eyetoy and paste it onto your dude for online games and the like.

Posted by Bebop

Spoiler: Phantom

Posted by lameboyadvance

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Has a fully-featured web browser already, and you can most likely snap a picture of yourself with the eyetoy and paste it onto your dude for online games and the like.

Shows how much attention I've payed to any post-PSX console. ;)

lol, forgot about the Phantom...

*Predicts the resurrection of Sega after Sony screws itself into the grave* :p:

Posted by Speedfreak

To be honest, I think 360 and Wii could perfectly coexist. All that Microsoft really want out of this is to own the digital distrubition in the living room, that's why they only care about Sony. I don't think they'd really give a **** about Wii owning most of the market as long as they had a cool 50 million units or so and reigned supreme on HD gaming. I can definately see Nintendo and Microsoft being king of two very different castles, so to speak.

Sony are screwed though. I'm seriously doubting whether there wil be a PlayStation 4 in one sense or another. After 4 years of no profit Sony could well cut their losses, ie SCE, and move on. Or they could totally reform and lose the by-then trashed PlayStation brand and come out with something totally innovative, refreshing and without all that Sony bullshit that we know of now. I'm really hoping Sony pull a Nintendo.

Posted by muffla

i hope its somthing cool where you get wires and feel the game
like if you get shot you feel where you get shot

probly not realistic but still its a dream

Quoted post: i hope its somthing cool where you get wires and feel the game
like if you get shot you feel where you get shot

probly not realistic but still its a dream

Already been made.

Posted by Lord of Spam

perry bible fellowship already did it

Posted by Bebop

I would rep you for mentioning Perry Bible but that would be like giving a peadophile a pat on the back for doing the washing up.

Quoting Speedfreak: I'm really hoping Sony pull a Nintendo.

I'm still convinced that Nintendo was able to inspire that statement by actually having talent from the very beginning, whereas sony has never had any.

Posted by Shade

They obviously had enough to have the PS2 outsell the Gamecube.

Posted by Zeta

Nah, that was pretty much thanks to the third party companies, like Square-Enix. =/

Posted by Shade

True, true.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai]I'm still convinced that Nintendo was able to inspire that statement by actually having talent from the very beginning, whereas sony has never had any.

When you buy up pretty much every bloody development house in the UK, you have talent. Ill-gotten or not.

Posted by maian

I don't think Sony will die, but I can see Nintendo coming out on top after this generation. And, well, Microsoft, I just see them doing their own thing.

Quoting Speedfreak: When you buy up pretty much every bloody development house in the UK, you have talent. Ill-gotten or not.

Coincidentally, "UK" is the pronunciation of my reaction to just about every piece of software to come out of sony computer entertainment since Equinox.

Posted by G-Sides

i think that after the ps4 bombs, sony is going to go out like sega and make games for everyone else.

or they'll drop out and stick to headphones 8-)

Posted by Sean Fury

I can easily see Microsoft and Nintendo reaching the next-gen before Sony, and possibly even knocking Sony out of the console market completely, because of just how things look now...it ain't looking too good for them. I mean, Microsoft has the internet covered, Nintedo's got virtual gaming down, what's left for Sony? I mean, sure, they've got their little movie thingers, but that's what we use DVD players for.

Regardless, when Microsoft reaches the next-gen, I see them making a cool name, or going with something stupid like Xbox 720. Either way, I think that their next system will basically have online gaming down to a 'T', the games will be both beautiful, enthralling, and more expansive than Oblivion.

As for Nintendo, I can see them pushing the virtual gaming even farther, maybe going as far to use helmets like in the .hack// anime series (for the online game "The World" in the series). But even that seems kinda iffy to me, so perhaps Nintendo will just work out everything that needs to be fixed with the Wii and in their next-gen have an improved version of the Wii with better graphics, more interactivity with the Wiimote in games, etc. etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I can't see anymore consoles coming out for another 10 years. The current-gen (which is Wii, 360, PS3 now) I see having a long healthy life-span.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

I'm thinking there will be a PS4, but sony better kick it up a noch or it might be their last. Maybe it won't be called PS4 but have some weird name like the PS: Something weird. Then we would be safe to say no PS5.

The wiiII hopefully will have even more awesome graphics to go with the awesome controller.

The Xbox 3 will be something to look forward to, even if it is 4 - 6 years away.

PSP 2, i don't have a psp, but i will definitely get the psp 2 when it comes out. hopefully it will have a harddrive in it, or some internal flash memory thats like 10 - 30 GB. maybe blu-ray umd. the current screen size is awesome in my opinion. definitely needs two joystick things like the PS controller, would make shooters a lot more fun. maybe some DVR capabilities.

The Microsoft Portable will have games like Halo for on the go. will be very cool.

Nintendo new portable? what new innovative idea will they come up with for this one.

omg im so excited for even a glimpse of the next-gen. gotta wait a couple more years i guess.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Quoting Arms: i think that after the ps4 bombs, sony is going to go out like sega and make games for everyone else.

or they'll drop out and stick to headphones 8-)

But unlike SEGA, Sony has nothing to offer. They rely almost completely upon Third Party Development and their consoles are mostly frankenstiened variations of other peoples ideas.

Posted by GameMiestro

You can expect a couple of features to come out for next gen- instead of flimsy wireless controllers that can easily be confused by passerbys, controllers will be anchored to the home unit with an innovative "wired" controller of sorts. Controllers as well as system will become more boxy and simlified in order to lower costs and increase market availability. Instead of the CDs, next gen consoles will use a revolutionary new "cartridge" device- plastic squares that can be inserted into a slot on the consoles cover, thereby allowing you to view the cover of the game in your system even while it is running. Research has even begun on an incredible new saving system that lets you insert passcodes to load your game instead of relying on a memory card!

Posted by Zeta

[quote]Nintendo new portable? what new innovative idea will they come up with for this one.

Three screens. The Nintendo Hydra.

Posted by Shade

I don't care if it's innovative. Was the Gameboy Advance and innovative step up from the Color? No. It just had better graphics. They might just go with that.

And three screens would be really confusing. :confused:

Posted by Zeta

[quote]And three screens would be really confusing.

That's what everyone said about the DS's two screens. >_>

Posted by Shade

I didn't say that. But I'm saying it about three screens.

Therefore, I'm right.

Posted by maian

I see a PSP2 being a fail, if there ever is one. Nintendo did a good job owning with the DS, and that'll continue for several years until a new portable comes out. :)

Quoted post: I see a PSP2 being a fail, if there ever is one. Nintendo did a good job owning with the DS, and that'll continue for several years until a new portable comes out.

It only failed because Sony is retarded. If they get enough support in terms of games they'll be a success. People really wanted to love the PSP, so the fanbase is there. Just Sony wasn't.

Hmm. The Nintendo DDS. DoDecaScreen. Invite 5 friends over to help guide you through the intense action that takes place over 12 screens!

Posted by lameboyadvance

Nokia N-Gaged - People can never call you because you're too busy trying to play a game/switch game paks.

Atari X800 - Comes with copies of E.T.3.D. packed in, as well as sold separately. There are also multiple limited editions available, and perhaps a pile of value bundles. Better hurry! Stocks will not last.

:p:

Virtual Boy 2 - As soon as they can make it full colour 3D, and stop the eyebleeds/brain asplosions.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

seriously, I see next-gen as being a step further into the idea of an interconnected world and social gaming that we're just seeing begin to emerge now. Things like Miis being able to populate other systems, and 360's whole Dashboard function in that I can chat to people cross-game, compete with them at a glance and organise matches supremely easily.

It's something that Sony haven't quite latched onto and it's that more than anything else that spells failure for them for me right now (this also applies to Nintendo I guess, but at least they're trying). When I'm playing my 360 I like the competitive feel it gives me - I can see that my friend from work is blasting through Gears in co-op on Insane, and it makes me want to finish Hardcore even more so I can help him (and try and get those nerd points before him, of course). I can see that Cronoan's playing Halo 2 so I want to avoid her if I don't want to get beaten into the ground. I can whack that big button in the middle of the controller at any point and ask someone to play the game I'm playing right now. It's like having every one of your friends in your living room at the same time.

Posted by Drewboy64

In terms of handhelds, PSP2 might do good if they learn from their lessons. In otherwords, they need more good games.

Also, nintendo will release the PiiNES (nintendo entertainment system) with motion sensing phallic controllers.

Posted by clearlytheman

I am focusing on current Gen systems there is no real point focusing on Next gen for several years to come. I see Microsoft,Sony and Nintendo focusing on making better games not better systems.

I wasn't really asking people to focus on next gen. Just to kind of sweep the microscope over it a little, that's all.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=clearlytheman;578679]I am focusing on current Gen systems there is no real point focusing on Next gen for several years to come.

I swear to God, next person to say this gets banned. It's such a stupid, irrelevent, shortsighted comment to make and there's always SOMEONE that says it.

Maybe last year it would have made sense. Hell, I thought it - I only bought a 360 a year after launch. Next-gen truly comes into it own in a few months, once the PS3 is worth owning and the Wii comes out of this ridiculous doldrum.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade32;492079]I don't care if it's innovative. Was the Gameboy Advance and innovative step up from the Color? No. It just had better graphics. They might just go with that.

Single-cart linkup, rechargable battery, backlit screen, shoulder buttons and minor 3D capabilities were GBAs main advances over Game Boy Color. Fail for you.

The rechargeable battery and backlit screen weren't there until the SP, to be fair.

In before speedy and "BUT IT'S STILL A GBA, IDIOT"

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, but those were the main leaps GBA made compared to GB. Hell, GBC was essentially the same as a GB but with color. GB carts worked in GBCs and vice versa. More people owning SPs and Micros than the original, in my opinion, makes it the definitive GBA.