Blades In Public?

Posted by Sean Fury

My friend Rob who works at a local Wawa (for those who don't know, it's a convience store/gas station, best place ever) as a "Fuel Court Attendent"/Shift Manager and was chatting with one of the county officers while giving him gas (this officer happens to be my other friend Greger's cousin who will let you get out of tickets if you give him a can of tuna). So, they're talking and somehow get into a conversation about carrying bladed weapons, and I'm not sure how it would go in other states and countries, but apparantly in my county of New Jersey (Cape May) you're allowed to carry anything ranging from pocket knives to long swords to katanas to daggers as long as it's not concealed (and being in a sheath doesn't count as concealed). He said that the cops will most likely hassle you for having it, but they can't take it from you or arrest you, unless you're doing something stupid like chasing people around with it.

Anyone know anything about this?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Here you can't have anything over a certain length. Pocket knives are fine, but anything nearing a hunting knife will get you a fine. Concealed or not.

Posted by Speedfreak

In England carrying knives has been outlawed, basically because there's a ridiculous amount of stabbings going on. Most of the time for no reason whatsoever, such is life in some parts.

I have no idea whether you can get some form of liscense to carry one. I'd be bloody interested if there was, though.

Posted by Omni

I'm totally going to go out and get a sword now.

Posted by mis0

I'd be careful. Generally, I think the law in most places is no blades longer than 8 inches, and they have to be completely and totally visible.

Seriously, check your local regulations first.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, I know. I think I can get a blade that's 8 inches long here. **** Florida laws and regulations designed to keep me safe! Aarghhh...

Posted by WackoHater2

In my part of NJ (Atlantic and Cumberland county) you can have a pocket knife, but the blade can be no longer than the width of your hand.. BOL @ getting out of tickets by giving the cop tuna.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Panic: In my part of NJ (Atlantic and Cumberland county) you can have a pocket knife, but the blade can be no longer than the width of your hand.. BOL @ getting out of tickets by giving the cop tuna.

Yeah, that's how it is down here too.

I know I'm not going to go out with my sword and just run around with it, I mean, I'm not that stupid, but this was interesting and I thought I'd bring up and see if anyone knew anything. I'll try asking my friend's cousin when I get a chance.

Posted by ScudZteR

Anything with a spring is outlawed here as well as a certain length

Posted by Lord of Spam

Well, cops cant search you for no reason, so as long as its completely hidden you can carry whatever the hell you want (just dont get caught or give them probable cause). I carry a pocket knife with a 3inch blade that I use to open things and clean my nails every now and then (lol redneck). Ive never had a problem, though I did forget I had it once when picking someone up from the airport. Felt nervous the whole time.

Posted by Bebop

Knives are for pussies. Real man use bears.

Posted by Lord of Spam

when you find a pocket sized bear that will follow my every command, i'll use it [spoiler]on you[/spoiler]

Posted by Bebop

A pocket sized bear? You know if you're gay you can just come on out and say Spam. We can't possibly think any less of you.

Posted by Hammered On

I have no idea.. but I do know that my best friend and his brothers carry knives with them, and so did most of the radio club when I was in college.. so either it's okay or a lot of people are breaking the law..lol.

Posted by Bebop

Uh-oh its the Radio Club! Hide your lunch money!

Posted by Hammered On

lmfao..

Nobody from there bothered anyone that I am aware of.. although they would take random things into the club room (usually sticks) and sit there and cut and carve into them..

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Hammered On: I have no idea.. but I do know that my best friend and his brothers carry knives with them, and so did most of the radio club when I was in college.. so either it's okay or a lot of people are breaking the law..lol.

once again, cops cant search you unless you give them reason. you could have four or five ounces of coke on you, but if you act cool and dont give them a reason to search you, they cant do a ******* thing about it.

Posted by Bebop

I have a little leaflet in my wallet aboud my rights and entitlements if a police officer wants to search me. It's useful in case I get caught doing something illegal.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I carry around a penknife mainly because it's a handy bottle opener (I lost my opener ring and it severely annoyed me), but it also means that whenever I don't feel particularly safe or I'm in a bad neighbourhood or whatever I can flick out the saw attachment and keep it ready in my pocket.

Yeah, not the knife. I'm looking for lacerations here.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bebop: I have a little leaflet in my wallet aboud my rights and entitlements if a police officer wants to search me. It's useful in case I get caught doing something illegal.

I have a brain filled with knowledge of my rights and entitlements in case some police officer decides to try to harrass me while I'm NOT doing something illegal. I think my system works better.

Posted by Bebop

I disagree
Hand pocket sized leaflets > You