The Gap

Posted by Bebop

The gap between the screens is used very differently in many games. In Yoshis Island the gap acts a part of the game you cant see, which alot of critics disliked. In other games the gap doesnt exists and actions appearing at the top of the bottom screen instantly appear on the bottom of the top, as if that tiny distance has no affect.

Which do you prefer? Games to 'use' this gap or to ignore it? I prefer the first. I found the latter very distorting when introduced to it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

If you use the gap, use it right. Don't put enemies or coins or collectibles in gap. That's just ****ing retarded. What's up, Yoshi's Island? Really, only Sonic has done it right. But still, I prefer they don't use the gap.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

It depends. In games like Wario Ware where things are travelling from one screen to another, it makes a lot of sense to use the gap and not have the item jump from one to another - it helps time things like firing an arrow into a target, for example. I really liked how this worked. It jarred me, though, when in (I think) the First Hunt video, the video used both screens but didn't take the gap into account.

Is the gap the same between the screens on the Phat and the Lite, though?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, thankfully.

Posted by nich

Wait, they hid items between the screens in Yoshi's Island? That's ****ing stupid.

Posted by ExoXile

Depends on the game, I still prefer it not using the gap tho.

Posted by GameMiestro

I prefer it with the gap if it's a still screen, I prefer it without if the background will actually change.

Posted by Ant

Without. It's like putting a bar in the middle of your TV screen basically if they use it :/ I prefer it the most when the top screen and/or bottom screen is something completely different then what's on the other. Like your actions on one and a map on another.

Posted by Slade

I agree with Ant on this one. I suppose if the action has to move from one screen to the other and physics are in play(such as shooting something vertically), then it's easier if the gap is taken into effect. But I imagine either way, if the same action is occuring on both screens, players could get used to it.

Posted by ccrocker58

I gotta say that I do actually like the usage of the gap when it's done correctly.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I dislike the gap in most games aside from Sonic.