A profound idea.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I first came to VGC in October or November of 2003. I came here and posted solely on the RPG board for a long time, and then proceeded to branch out, mostly to the Wacko blog because you could get away with funny stuff there.

But I still spent most of my time in either the RPG forum, or the NES one.

Then I accidently clicked on the forum, "War Board". I engaged in heated debates with other memebers that had nothing to do with video games.

Yet this is "video game chat". And most of our focus is not on video games. We bicker and argue over non-video game stuff, 90% of the time. I think it's time we made a change.

The entire off-topic section, especially the war board and community board, is laden with bullsh** arguing and such. It's time that we just got rid of them. They have been nothing but arguing that will never be settled, and have no relation to video games. Let's get Video Game Chat back to Video Games.

Fei-on

Posted by sabre

I... don't think so. Forcing people away from the off topic boards won't make them talk about games, it'll just prevent them talking about off topic things. The board will get a lot more boring without them, and it's senseless. Especially when you take into account that, although many of the members may have started out as video game fanatics, they may have grown increasingly bored with video games or talking about them, and now just wish to hang out with the same community as they befriended over the years. Or what have you.

Really, it works out far better this way.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I first came to VGC in October or November of 2003.

Its written under your avatar.

I haven't notice that this forum had gotten off video games subjects... I think the forum is good like that and does not need any changes. Thats what I think...

Posted by Klarth

Um, if the off-topic boards go, I do too.

I think that the solution to your problem is pretty easy.

[IMG]http://img185.exs.cx/img185/6871/feiona4xy.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by William

Yeah, no offense Feion, but it'll get dull around here fast if those boards were removed.

Posted by Draxamus

The best way to support the video game forums is to post in them more yourself.

Posted by Dexter

This place would be terribly boring without those forums. I enjoy talking about video games, but I don't think that is the main reason I love this place. The people and off-topic subjects are intriguing, usually. Talking about music and films is interesting, too. If we didn't have those forums, we wouldn't have as many regular members. Think about who would actually be here if it was only for video game chatting.

Posted by Shade

Feion, if you don't want to see those boards anymore, that's what the little blue button is for. :)

Posted by Fate

Why would we get rid of the forums? I don't know about everyone else, but if the militant mods get in check and start deleting threads that stray, I'd find some way to fuse politics in game-speak with metaphors.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, getting rid of those boards is riduculous. It's not mandatory that you post in them, so, ignor them and continue posting only in the game boards. It's nice that a specific message board also has a variety of other topics to discuss; it brings the community closer (or, sometimes farther apart) but without them, no one would stay here for very long.

Posted by Proto Man

We actually had this discussion already a long time ago, and the oppions were the same back then as they are now. I am in favor of your proposal Fieon, but like last time, it seems that nobody else is.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Give it up. There not going. If there were no non-video game boards, then I would never be able to post and be a wacko on crack, and about half the members here would have nothing to post!!!! That's what keeps the oldies here that out grew video games!!!

Posted by Xenos

Yes, let's delete 7,000 posts! I mean, it's only going to damage a large precent of the activity!

A very profound idea!

Posted by mis0

Yeah, I'm with Majesty. I very seldom use VGC for anything Video Game related, considering I seldom play video games (liek zomg), and the ones I do play on occassion are nerdy geek games like Grand Turismo.

I mostly post for the heated debate, and because the only other forum I found with such a diverse and actually interesting member base was the one at FLAP, when I strived for Internet war. Irwin and Amanita were always funny. (go and moa not included)

Anyways, most strictly-focused boards are boring and the members are exceedingly stupid. That's probably the main reason I'm here, aside from the above.

Posted by Last Fog

[FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=SandyBrown]Wow, that's a horrible idea, Fei-on. If you don't like the off topic, just don't visit there. I don't see what good it would do getting rid of it. It would just result in a loss of some great members who come here to specifically post in off topic. Sure, the war board is full of arguing, but thats its purpose.

This forum is still centered on video games. There's a whole load of boards for each system, as well as genre, and when compared to the four sections under off topic, I don't see a problem.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Fei-on Castor

To those of you who obliterated my rep for this:

A simple "Bad idea, Fei-on" would've sufficed. This is the BHS/C forum, so people are going to make suggestions. There's no sense in de-repping someone for a reasonable suggestion.

Well, either way, I'll still post in them because it's hard not to. It just seems that those boards are where all this controversy is stemming from. I mean, we lost AA.

Remember the old VGC with HP/MP and all that stuff? Did you guys all dislike AA back then, when he was Metal Matsuri, Twin Turbo Terror, Metal Fortress and whatever else? Or is that you only dislike him now that you've all debated with him on the OT boards? Maybe you didn't mind him so much when you discussed video games with him, and now that you're discussing politics, suddenly he's a bad guy. He was an S-mod as long as I've been here, and only recently has his power abuse become a problem.

Bear in mind, I'm speaking from my point of view, which is quite possibly skewed. I mean, back in the old HP/MP days, I posted only in the RPG forum, so I really don't know what went on elsewhere, which is why I'm asking those of you who do know.

Fei-on

Posted by Xero

The off-topic boards are some of the most active on this forum. If they go away, many members might go too...thought...

Posted by Sable Wind

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I mean, we lost AA.

Remember the old VGC with HP/MP and all that stuff? Did you guys all dislike AA back then, when he was Metal Matsuri, Twin Turbo Terror, Metal Fortress and whatever else? Or is that you only dislike him now that you've all debated with him on the OT boards? Maybe you didn't mind him so much when you discussed video games with him, and now that you're discussing politics, suddenly he's a bad guy.

Remember when you wore diapers and cried for your mommy?

*sighs* I can't believe you actually this proposal was... was even plausible enough to post! Are you some kind of idiot?

Whoopee, we lost a member. People go and come. His "power abuse" was his decision, as was him leaving. It's not that big a deal.

I just thought this line was so funny...

"Let's get Video Game Chat back to Video Games."

So, so funny...

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Fei-on Castor: It's time that we just got rid of them.

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Well, either way, I'll still post in them because it's hard not to.

Make up ur mind kid!!! You can't even decide if you want them or not!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Sable Wind:

I just thought this line was so funny...

"Let's get Video Game Chat back to Video Games."

So, so funny...

I don't get it.

Posted by Last Fog

[FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=SandyBrown]I get it. She's being a b*tch. What's not to get?

No offense, Sable.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Fei-on Castor

If I avoid the OT boards, the problems will persist. People will still be at each other's throats all the time.

When we dont' post on the OT board, the stupid petty arguments stop.

Fei-on

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Fei-on Castor: When we dont' post on the OT board, the stupid petty arguments stop.
[FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=SandyBrown]But what about arguments like this?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/lastfog/oopsies.png[/IMG][/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Supermario

Video Game Chat should be more of a video game forum. There are too many off-topic boards and threads that make this forum really less of a video game forum. I also think the rules should be re-done. But I don't the the Administrator wants it to be a good video game forum.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Last Fog: [FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=SandyBrown]But what about arguments like this?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/lastfog/oopsies.png[/IMG][/COLOR][/FONT]

This argument would not exist if the OT board did not exist.

Fei-on

Posted by Fate

Quoting Fei-on Castor: When we dont' post on the OT board, the stupid petty arguments stop.

Ha, how long have you been here? Everything that goes on too long in the video game forums turns into a petty argument. One second someone is talking about SquareEnix, the next someone is flaming another for being an idiot because his mother works for the father of the brother of the uncle that knew some guy who worked for SE.

Posted by Dark

I agree with what Sabre said. I came here in the beginning for video games, but video game discussion wasn't what kept me here.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Fate: Ha, how long have you been here? .

Longer than you, but I guess that doesn't matter because I haven't whored myself out for popularity.

I know what you mean, though. There are some pretty harsh arguments in the VG forums, but they rarely result in someone getting de-modded, or a person leaving the boards who has been posting here for almost 10 years. Plus, there's a clear division in the OT boards, mostly in the war and community boards. Off-Topic and Polls aren't really that bad. But the labels "liberal" and "conservative" seem to follow you even into the community board, where they really ought not to. When Sabredog deletes a post, he is attacked because the poster was a conservative, and Sabre is just being a meanie-head liberal, when really, he is just doing his job. The same happens everywhere else in the board. If the OT boards (specifically the war board and community) didn't exist, no one would fire these accusations around.

Fei-on

Posted by Dark

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Longer than you, but I guess that doesn't matter because I haven't whored myself out for popularity.

You do realize she's actually been here longer?

Posted by Proto Man

Fei-on's idea does make sense IMO. When I first came here, it wasn't for off topic boards, it was for videogames. Pushing that blue button doesn't solve the problem though. The OT board takes away from the actual VG board population. If the OT boards were to be deleted gone and it resulted in people leaving, then be it. Let them bicker somewhere else. A videogame only forum creates a freindlier enviroment. VGC was alot better back in the HP/MP days. It was funny to watch people ask what they were for. IMO it is a shame that the OT boards are what keep some people around this place.

Fei-on, though I do agree with you, I also know that you are fighting for a lost cause. Sorry man.... :(

[quote=Fate]Ha, how long have you been here? Everything that goes on too long in the video game forums turns into a petty argument. One second someone is talking about SquareEnix, the next someone is flaming another for being an idiot because his mother works for the father of the brother of the uncle that knew some guy who worked for SE.

That is what moderators are for. :)

Posted by Last Fog

[FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=SandyBrown]I still see this as a video game centered forum, no matter what you say. The off topic section, along with movies and music and what have you, is just like an added bonus. It leaves room for discussion when you're not in the mood to talk about video games.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Hyper

[quote]The OT board takes away from the actual VG board population.

Wrong.

Someone elaborate for me, I can't think straight right now. Just got back from a long road trip :(

Posted by Last Fog

[FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=SandyBrown]We already have, quite clearly.

Come to think of it, though, it seems the video game boards have been getting less and less traffic. Maybe you're on to something, Fei-on. Hmmm...[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Dark: You do realize she's actually been here longer?

My apologies, in that case. Sorry about the misunderstanding.