Kino's Journey

Posted by boomstick

Wow, all I can say is this is one incredile ride, it's everything I've come to love about a series, it's thought-provoking, intellegent, immersive story with a hint of comedy here and there, I really enjoyed it enough to actual buy the light novel and all, very great anime, it's probably actually my favorite anime series and possibly my favorite series next to Dead Like Me.

Oh yea, for those who wondering what it's actually about, it's basically about a girl and her talking motorcade traveling from country to country learning as much as they can about each in three days, sounds simple, but trust me, once you get down to watching it it transforms into more.

Posted by Dexter

Sounds intriguing. I mean it when I say that I'll definitely get around to watching it, probably right after we finish with the second season of Kaleido Star. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get back to this thread.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Are there any other series that it's similar to?

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: Are there any other series that it's similar to?

I honestly can't think of any really, I think it's a very unique anime.

Posted by Dexter

We watched the first 2 volumes of Kino's Journey. Not as quick or attention grabbing as most anime series, but I was somehow expecting that. There doesn't seem to be an easily noticeable direction or development, either. They had an excellent episode with the back story on how Kino met Hermes, which was probably my favorite episode thus far, but it still doesn't seem like I could look forward to learning too much about Kino, but more of what she encounters. There are times when her situations or the characters she meets seem to reflect her life, but I can't tell if that is how it is or if I'm trying to connect it that way. I can't seem to find her motivations or something.

Still, it's refreshing to have such a anime after all the cutesy stuff I've been watching lately. This is much more mysterious, eerie, and seemingly multi-layered. The characters don't interest me too much so far, but there are other aspects I've been enjoying, such as how thought-provoking it is.

And it was strange how many of the voices I actually noticed. There were two voices I recognized from the Kaleido Star series (Hermes is totally Sora Naeghiro!).

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Dexter: We watched the first 2 volumes of Kino's Journey. Not as quick or attention grabbing as most anime series, but I was somehow expecting that. There doesn't seem to be an easily noticeable direction or development, either. They had an excellent episode with the back story on how Kino met Hermes, which was probably my favorite episode thus far, but it still doesn't seem like I could look forward to learning too much about Kino, but more of what she encounters. There are times when her situations or the characters she meets seem to reflect her life, but I can't tell if that is how it is or if I'm trying to connect it that way. I can't seem to find her motivations or something.

Yeah, it basically tries to focus a bit more on her encounters over character development, there's some moments when Kino gives her veiws on things which kinda shapes her character, but the point of the anime is more of her journeys then herself.

Quoting Dexter: Still, it's refreshing to have such a anime after all the cutesy stuff I've been watching lately. This is much more mysterious, eerie, and seemingly multi-layered. The characters don't interest me too much so far, but there are other aspects I've been enjoying, such as how thought-provoking it is.

Yeah, Kino and Hermes are gone from country to country so fast it's hard to get a hold on characters, maybe one of the few flaws I have with the anime.

Posted by Dexter

Finished Kino's Journey, entirely. It didn't grow on me as it went along like other animes, such as Fruits Basket or Kaleido Star, do. Still, the many different and fascinating cultures Kino encountered on her journey were fun to discover and often so mysterious. The very last one that got covered with lava would probably have to be my favorite. Drastic change in attitude and I still wondered whether or not they were truly nice or mean up until the very end. I'm not sure if a world as interesting as Kino's world would be fun/interesting or not. Probably not. Too dangerous.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Dexter: Finished Kino's Journey, entirely. It didn't grow on me as it went along like other animes, such as Fruits Basket or Kaleido Star, do. Still, the many different and fascinating cultures Kino encountered on her journey were fun to discover and often so mysterious. The very last one that got covered with lava would probably have to be my favorite. Drastic change in attitude and I still wondered whether or not they were truly nice or mean up until the very end. I'm not sure if a world as interesting as Kino's world would be fun/interesting or not. Probably not. Too dangerous.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Really, it didn't grow on you, well I was pretty ingulfed from episode one or two, yeah that episode at the end changed mood quickly, it's one of the few times that Kino shows any flushed out emotion.

The reason I really liked it so much I guess was the uniqueness and just I really enjoyed seeing Kino and Hermes go from place to place, each different in every a bad way or good way, it really drew me very fast.

Posted by Dexter

Well, I enjoyed each episode, but the characters and story didn't grow on me much. Basically, I cared for the final episode as much as I did the first. I learned a bit about Kino along the way, but I didn't seem to grow very attached. It was starting to look forward to some more back-story when they did little flashbacks of when she got the gun and all, but it didn't really fulfill what I was hoping for. I still enjoyed it, nevertheless. It was refreshing and interesting. I'd totally watch more suggestions from you without hesitation.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Dexter: Well, I enjoyed each episode, but the characters and story didn't grow on me much. Basically, I cared for the final episode as much as I did the first. I learned a bit about Kino along the way, but I didn't seem to grow very attached. It was starting to look forward to some more back-story when they did little flashbacks of when she got the gun and all, but it didn't really fulfill what I was hoping for. I still enjoyed it, nevertheless. It was refreshing and interesting. I'd totally watch more suggestions from you without hesitation.

Well, there is more coming to let you know, as well as there is a movie which explains more of her back story, it's not gotten here, yet, but you can find it on youtube in subbed form.

Posted by Dexter

No way. That's cool. I look forward to that. I was thinking that there might be more in the future. Is it like a second season? I wouldn't expect it in a movie form. Very curious about that.

And watching anime on Youtube doesn't do it for me. Everyone who lives here with me sits down and watches them too, so it's best to wait for it to get on DVD. Much easier to get into it that way. I'll research it and find out when it'll be out here.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Dexter: No way. That's cool. I look forward to that. I was thinking that there might be more in the future. Is it like a second season? I wouldn't expect it in a movie form. Very curious about that.

And watching anime on Youtube doesn't do it for me. Everyone who lives here with me sits down and watches them too, so it's best to wait for it to get on DVD. Much easier to get into it that way. I'll research it and find out when it'll be out here.

Yeah, an OAV which is suppose to be like a 2nd season, there's 8 books in the series so there's plenty of material for another 13 or some episode season.

As far as the movie release in America, I don't know, I'm keeping watch but I've not heard, it'll def. be added to my collection, I've already seen it on YouTube, but I prefered dubbed and on DVD, such as yourself

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Ahh, Kino's Journey. One of my favourites ever! Im still hunting down the box set, but man did I love that show! It really turned me on to non-main stream anime.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Tiptoegecko: Ahh, Kino's Journey. One of my favourites ever! Im still hunting down the box set, but man did I love that show! It really turned me on to non-main stream anime.

Hard time finding the boxset? I found my for $29.99 at a local shop, if all else fails try eBay

Posted by Average n00b

..Is this the same as a book Kino No Tabi? (Kino's journey) I recently picked up the book a while ago from my language arts teacher.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Average n00b: ..Is this the same as a book Kino No Tabi? (Kino's journey) I recently picked up the book a while ago from my language arts teacher.

Yes, the anime is based off the books, it's actually an ongoing series of light novels, nine of them are out in Japan with only two out here in America, I believe

Posted by Average n00b

Yeah, oh I didn't do the translation right it was Kino the traveler. Oh, I didn't know it had a series, I'll look up on it.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Average n00b: Yeah, oh I didn't do the translation right it was Kino the traveler. Oh, I didn't know it had a series, I'll look up on it.

Do it. Its amazing.

Posted by Dexter

I got the music soundtrack a few days ago. It has a lot of good music that I barely noticed while watching the anime. Must've not been distracting.

Posted by Dexter

"Repeating (from Pachelbel's Canon)" has become my favorite song from the soundtrack. Great lullaby. I don't recall where it was in the actual anime so I don't have that visual.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Dexter: "Repeating (from Pachelbel's Canon)" has become my favorite song from the soundtrack. Great lullaby. I don't recall where it was in the actual anime so I don't have that visual.

Wait, is that song the one Kino sings while in the field of red flowers?

Posted by Dexter

I don't think so. I'd think I would recognize it if it were. I'm not sure what song that is. I must not have it.