Polarised reviews

Posted by Speedfreak

Red Steel has officially gotten the weirdest reviews ever. Some critics like NGamer and Famitsu are giving it scores in the 9s, most reviews seem to be in the 7s and 8s and some have given scores as low as 5 or 6. Such a wide variety of scores, a range of four full points, is extremely rare.

I rather hastily assumed that this was a mix of extreme bias against Wii mixed in with some critics being paid off or fearing fan backlash, revealing rife unprofessionalism. But as it turns out, Red Steel really is one of those games which you either love or hate, judging from comments from people that own the game and after taking another look at all the scores.

So I'm curious, are there any other games that have polarised critics to such an extent that you guys can tell me about? Maybe you could talk about some of the faults other people said were present that you didn't find quite so significant, or vice versa.

2 games that immediately come to my mind are Sonic Adventure 2 and Starfox Adventures. In my opinion both games are pretty awful, and I have plenty to stand on when talking about SA2, but it seems a lot of Dreamcast fans seem to love it. The combat in Starfox felt incredibly dull, to me, and the sheer amount of things the game required me to collect in the first hour put me off it entirely, but I regularly meet a lot of people that are adamant that the game is awesome.

Posted by Axis

FOR THE LOVE OF F[B][B]UCK[/B]ING G[B]OD[/B], QUIT BI[B]TCH[/B]ING ABOUT REVIEW SCORES.

Everytime I see one of these threads, I want to cry.[/B]

Posted by Unite

both these games/series were you either really liked it or really hated it.
Xenosaga series
Xenogears

As for redsteel it's basically being compared to all popluar fps here in na etc. In Japan fps aren't that popular , since computer over there are quite expensive to own. Japanese are more fans of gun games (time crisis etc). The wii remote makes seem more like a gun game compared to fps. Also check out the story on red steel

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Unite]both these games/series were you either really liked it or really hated it.
Xenosaga series
Xenogears

As for redsteel it's basically being compared to all popluar fps here in na etc. In Japan fps aren't that popular , since computer over are quite expensive to own. Japanese are more fans of gun games (time crisis etc). The wii remote makes seem more like a gun game compared to fps. Also check out the story on red steel

I don't really see why it's story would be a plus to Japanese gamers. It must appear to be rife with stereotypes and misconceptions to them. The most frequent comment I hear among people wh enjoy it is that it's the worst game ever until you get good at it. Considering that Ubisoft wanted to create a game that would get you good at the Wii controller, it actually seems to have done it's job. I think in maybe 2 years when people are actually used to the controller it won't get quite so much criticism. When mouselook started, no one was doing jumping spinning headshots right away.

1080 is another game that comes to mind. A lot of people accepted it for what it was, a snowboard racing simulator. Wheras others expected it to be as focused on tricks as other games like SSX were and judged it accordingly.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

All the weird reviews have pushed it to a rental rather than a purchase for me. In all likelihood I'll just ask for it for Christmas or something.

Posted by Last Fog

I never played it, but Killer 7 comes to mind. I can imagine it's a "love it or hate it" game.

[quote]1080 is another game that comes to mind. A lot of people accepted it for what it was, a snowboard racing simulator. Wheras others expected it to be as focused on tricks as other games like SSX were and judged it accordingly.1080 was great for what it was. I remember playing it non-stop. Then they made that sequal on gamecube where it tried to be all EXTREME! and totally ruined it.

Posted by Big Boss

Most reviews of Red Steel fall between 5 and 7 (67 average in GameRankings). Only 2 give it an 8 (1 is the great Nintendo Power). I don't see Red Steel as the game to have widely different reviews, just the general mediocre scores similar to licensed games. Enter the Matrix got more positive scores in the 8s and 9s (about 20), but it also got 3s and 4s, so to me that's an accurate example of "love it or hate it."

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Big Boss]

Yea, after seeing this thread I took a look at gamerankings and I gotta agree.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]I never played it, but Killer 7 comes to mind. I can imagine it's a "love it or hate it" game.

1080 was great for what it was. I remember playing it non-stop. Then they made that sequal on gamecube where it tried to be all EXTREME! and totally ruined it.
...snowboarding is an extreme sport. Aside from the music I didn't really see anything much different in the GC game. Well, other than the avalanches, which were fun as hell.

[quote=Big Boss][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]Most reviews of Red Steel fall between 5 and 7 (67 average in GameRankings). Only 2 give it an 8 (1 is the great Nintendo Power). I don't see Red Steel as the game to have widely different reviews, just the general mediocre scores similar to licensed games. Enter the Matrix got more positive scores in the 8s and 9s (about 20), but it also got 3s and 4s, so to me that's an accurate example of "love it or hate it."[/COLOR][/FONT]
Maybe if you're looking at gamerankings, they like to exclude certain sources there. NGamer and Famitsu mean a heck of a lot more than joystiq and 1up anyway. I was talking about reviews that count.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Famitsu :rolleyes:

Oh, and I like how you say "reviews that counts" like IGN, Gamespot, and 1up have absolutely no credibility in gaming press. Good lord. The game is average, get over it.

Posted by NeXidala

Looks like a very controversial game, then.
But, the only way to tell which scores are more accurate than others is to play the game. :D
Can't wait until I get my Wii.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: Maybe if you're looking at gamerankings, they like to exclude certain sources there. NGamer and Famitsu mean a heck of a lot more than joystiq and 1up anyway. I was talking about reviews that count.

They include NGamer, but it doesn't count towards the average. Must be some crappy mag...

And Famitsu gave FFXII a perfect 40 (A feat only 5 other games have gotten there). I guess you should check it out then. Better than Red Steel, that's for sure.

Posted by s0ul

Red Steel blows.

Just throwing that out there.

Quoted post: And Famitsu gave FFXII a perfect 40 (A feat only 5 other games have gotten there). I guess you should check it out then. Better than Red Steel, that's for sure.

Famitsu giving a Japanese game a perfect score? No way! Though, it IS a better game. There's no comparison to be made really. Soul pretty much summed it up perfectly.

Posted by Unite

hmm read one reader review on it

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/review/R107627.html

lol reader review... from ****ing GameFAQs? Hahahaha.

Posted by Bebop

In before Jak and Daxter.

Oh, and NGamer doesnt go towards the average score because it doesnt have enough reviews a month for it to qualify. Obviously its the quantity of reviews a source has before the quality when it comes to what Game Rankings considers 'valid'.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: lol reader review... from ****ing GameFAQs? Hahahaha.

hmm whatever you may think of the site if u read the review he talks about glitches in the game.

what site do you suggest for reader reviews?

Posted by muffla

67/100 was avraged outa 16 magazine/tv/web criditcs
6.5-10 for 26 user votes

i dont know about how you feel but for me this isnt going to change the fact that i will buy this game

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/redsteel

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]They include NGamer, but it doesn't count towards the average. Must be some crappy mag...

And Famitsu gave FFXII a perfect 40 (A feat only 5 other games have gotten there). I guess you should check it out then. Better than Red Steel, that's for sure.[/COLOR][/FONT]
They don't include magazines that don't do 15 or more reviews a month. This of course excludes the majority of Nintendo magazines, N64 and GC didn't get 15 games a month.

NGamer's been running for 15 years, they started off as the legendary Super Play. A ton of their reader suggestions made it into Perfect Dark, their artist works for Rare and they get a crazy amount of exclusives considering they're a Nintendo-only magazine in such a small territory. They deserve to be counted way more than some crappy internet blog.

IGN UK gave Red Steel 8. Opinions are definately split on this.

More people seem to be bashing it than praising it. It's just too launchy and poor example of what future FPS's will be like. There's really no point in even defending the game. You'll see the difference once Metroid comes out I'm sure.

Quoted post: what site do you suggest for reader reviews?

None. Reader reviews are usually complete garbage. If you want some kids review on a game, go rent it yourself.

Posted by TendoAddict

Honestly Polarized games are hard to come by, I dont even remember any. Probably because professionals stay nutral and most of the time dont stray from one way to another .

Best that comes to mind is Killer 7, which wasnt polarised persay but people felt inclined to give it better chances because the art was good. Despite the fact the game play is like burning dog doo on your door step.

Quoted post: IGN UK gave Red Steel 8

OH SHI! A 8?!?!?

Clearly Polarised to the max.

Posted by brownoystercult

THE GAME SUCKS. I'VE PLAYED IT AT A FRIENDS. IT'S NOT FUN. AT ALL.

TRY RAINBOW 6 VEGAS FOR THE 360, IF YOU WANT A GOOD FPS.

RED. STEEL. BLOWS.

Posted by Axis

My friend that had a Wii said the game was all right. Nothing special, only liked it because of the new controls.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]More people seem to be bashing it than praising it. It's just too launchy and poor example of what future FPS's will be like. There's really no point in even defending the game. You'll see the difference once Metroid comes out I'm sure.

None. Reader reviews are usually complete garbage. If you want some kids review on a game, go rent it yourself.
The Lowest score is 50%, the highest score is 90%. The average of all of them is 73%, almost exactly between those two scores.

[quote=brownoystercult]TRY RAINBOW 6 VEGAS FOR THE 360, IF YOU WANT A GOOD FPS.

You mean the game that got a 6 on IGN?

K.

Quoted post: The Lowest score is 50%, the highest score is 90%. The average of all of them is 73%, almost exactly between those two scores.

People, not necessarily reviewers. 50 is too low, but I'd say a solid 66% if I were to give my own review of it. It's a decent game that has a lot of faults.

Quoted post: You mean the game that got a 6 on IGN?

K.

You mean the game that got a 9.3 on IGN?

Yeah.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/745/745678p1.html

Posted by Pit

You want a good game guys?

Gears of Twilight Las Vegas

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting brownoystercult:
TRY RAINBOW 6 VEGAS FOR THE 360, IF YOU WANT A GOOD FPS.

Or Resistance: Fall of Man... I just played 8 hours of it today and still haven't beaten it. I don't remember the last time I had the patience to play a single-player FPS for so long... and I haven't even tried the big multiplayer mode yet.

Of course... that's for the rest of you when you get a PS3 in the year 2012.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Big Boss]

I would get it sooner, but I can't afford it yet, which is why I'm getting it in a few years. :)

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Wings: Is that because it has great longevity or because you suck at it? :)

I'll see if I can go into town tomorrow and have a demo of Resistance. There's a shop that has a PS3 on display. I'm not sure if they'll allow me to demo it, but the store has a policy of demoing anything where possible, so I don't know. We'll see.

It's a surprisingly long game. I heard it was longer than Gears of War, but that wasn't saying much since apparently GoW is really short. As for difficulty, it's challenging enough, but I've played harder FPSs. You can set the difficulty, though.

At any rate, the game gets better the more you play it. It begins much like your generic war FPS with aliens thrown in, but it gets quite fun as you play more.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

GoW seems about the right length for me right now. I completed the first act last night and was pleased with the length - from hearsay I was expecting it to be a lot shorter than it was.

That said, I can see myself beating it before the Wii launch in two weeks, and that works fine for me. :) Then I can work on eating my way through Zelda.

I'll post my opinions of R:FOM tomorrow most likely.

Quoted post: Or Resistance: Fall of Man... I just played 8 hours of it today and still haven't beaten it. I don't remember the last time I had the patience to play a single-player FPS for so long... and I haven't even tried the big multiplayer mode yet.

I was pretty disappointed by Resistance. It's actually a really good game, but didn't live up to my expectations. Though, multiplayer sucks. I mean, 40 people is just too much. That and the maps are just WAY too big. Like, the biggest I've ever played. But I gotta say, they have some really good game modes, some that are meant for eight on eight, which is perfect. But Rainbow 6: Vegas is better overall. Much better. Resistance is still worth every penny though, don't get me wrong.

Oh, and the single-player took me about twelve hours. Which is really quite the perfect length. Too bad the levels are so ****ed up.