Slot Illumination

Posted by Dexter

So what's the deal with the gorgeous blue light? Is it not supposed to constantly stay on? Mine certainly doesn't and from what other people have told me theirs don't either. Mine barely stays on. Instead, it, like, blinks at me and that's all the love it gives. I heard that the light was at least supposed to stay on until you put a disk in there so you can see in the dark, but mine doesn't. I found the options for bright and dim and I don't notice the difference, but that might be because it doesn't stay on long enough for me to do so. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I thought it always stayed on, like the orange light of the GC or the green lights of both Xboxes. What a shame :(

Posted by Dexter

Shame indeed. I want my light. Is it possible for them to later add something you could download for constant lightage?

Posted by lameboyadvance

...You could always crack it open, locate the wires for the blue light and connect it somewhere else that supplies the same voltage, but continuously. ;)

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I actually thought of cracking it to do such a thing, but I'm not that brave.

I did find that it stayed lit up when I had mail from Dexter, though. I think it's just being used as a notification system right now.

Posted by Dexter

So Rachael and I are sitting there playing Call of Duty 3, right? All the sudden she starts freakin' out and she's like "the lights on, the lights on" and sure enough I look at the pretty blue Wii light is on, while the system is turned off! It must turn on to show that it's downloading new materials or something like that. That's kinda neat. We're just admiring the light while it last. I better grab Wolfy and take a picture before it's too late!

So yeah, the light must turn on when its downloading new material.

Like some mail, winkwink

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, probably anything like that. I was writing that as you posted yours.

Was I the first to mail you? Did you like my Mii? ^_^

Yeah, you were. I thought I had mail from myself, but the Mii looked slightly different, so I put on my glasses and got all excited

Posted by Dexter

haha. That's rad. I'll always remember that you were the first one I mailed. Good stuff.

Yeah, the light is still on. I'm wondering if I power on if that will interrupt whatever's downloading. I wouldn't think it would, but I'm not sure. I thought I'd wait until it turned off, but I'm wondering if it stays on until you turn it back on to show that you have something new. Maybe I have new mail and it'll stay on until I get back on? Is anyone else's light on right now?

It turns on when the system is off? ****ing gay.

Posted by Drewboy64

Maybe we could all send each other a "glow" message so that we can have the light stay on.

Posted by Dexter

It must be downloading. The light intensity keeps alternating, resembling a downloading process.

Posted by Ant

Ahhhhhhhhh, interesting. Well, I'll take your word for it for now. But I'd still like some official news from Nintendo. Be a good question for the IGN mailbag.

Posted by Dexter

I'd also like word on this.

It seemed to light up because I got mail. When I turned the system back on, I had three messages and I didn't see anything about updates. It might just be a means to alert you when you get messages. It's neat, but I'd still like there to be a way to keep the light on while the power is on. Maybe there's some information about it in the manual.

It's for mail. Send a message to yourself and never check it. Apparently, as long as you have unchecked mail the light won't turn off.

Posted by Bebop

Would forcing the light to be on constantly dangerous in any way? I just dont want my Wii to stop working because of it in any way.

Doubt it. What would happen if you went on vacation for a week and someone sent you a message? Pretty sure they thought of instances like that and made sure leaving a light on won't **** anything up.

Probably no different than leaving an alarm clock on.

Posted by Bebop

Yeh good point. Just worried is all. Wait, so the light would come on even if the console is off? Heh thats kind of cool. Provided it doesnt wake you up.

Yeah, it's connected 24/7 so it won't go off until you check the message. It will also come on at 4 in the morning if someone sends you a message then. The light is pretty bright too, so if you're like me who hates light when they're trying to sleep it would just be really ****ing annoying.

Posted by Bebop

Hopefully you shouldnt notice it when you sleep. Meh if it does you could just put a book or something in the front. I cant see this being a problem though.

It should just be one when the system is on and off when the system is off.

Posted by Speedfreak

I suppose if it was on all the time it wouldn't be able to be used with messages.

Posted by muffla

if the wii is conected 27/7 would anything bad happen if you lost power or acedently unpluged it? is there a way to download updates you missed? what about mail do you just lose it?

Posted by RandomizeR

Quoting muffla: if the wii is conected 27/7

HOW AM I MISSING THESE 3 EXTRA HOURS?!
I BET THEY'RE HIDING FROM ME >(

Quoted post: I suppose if it was on all the time it wouldn't be able to be used with messages.

Oh no, then I'd have to actually have to open up my dashboard and check myself. The 360 does it perfectly. There's no excuse for the light not staying on when the system is powered up. If they really wanted to do something fancy they could just have it slowly fading in and out while the console is powered on to indicate an update or message.

They should've at least given the option.

Quoted post: if the wii is conected 27/7 would anything bad happen if you lost power or acedently unpluged it? is there a way to download updates you missed? what about mail do you just lose it?

Nothing happens. That would just be ****ing moronic. Messages and the like are saved to the system, so they'd still be there as long as you didn't do anything retarded.

Posted by ccrocker58

Actually, all the info about the current use of the light is in the manual. If you take a look at the manual, it says that the light only comes on when the system is off and you recieve a message from someone on your address book, or if there is an update ready to be installed.

As for missed updates, they wouldn't give the option of having WiiConnect24 off if there wasn't a way to get the updates w/o it. If you go to the "Internet" section on the settings menu, you'll see the giant button that says "System Update". That does the same thing, only manually.

Has anyone else noticed the crappy pulsating of the light though? It's like the system has some sort of athritis or something...