Speaking in Games

Posted by Bebop

Apparntly this is Zeld'a biggest flaw. I think it's one of Zelda's good points. I've heard more bad voice acting than good voice acting. Even game with good voice acting, like Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear, have alot of iffy lines. The only games Ive experienced to have perfect voice acting is Conkers Bad Fur Day. But it gets away with it because its not serious. Just remembering Tidus's voice, Daxters 'wit' and Dante's accent is enough to make anyone want to cut off their ears.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yesterday I heard a suggestion for voice acting in Zelda that I thought was a pretty damn good one. What if everyone spoke, but in Hylian? In a similar way to how Krystal spoke in Starfox Adventures, I think it'd work really well for Zelda.

But yeah, for the most part I despise voice acting because it's usually really quite bad. There's only a handful of games I own with decent voice acting, it's a really dangerous feature to put into a game because more often than not it ruins it.

Posted by Bebop

Even Krystal sucked balls. She would sprew whatever language she uses than randomly execture English words with a strong Accent.

"Don esta huih aagds llrhna GENERAL SCALES! Telaks sayimn top tiis gja STARFOX fja tio!".

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bebop]Even Krystal sucked balls. She would sprew whatever language she uses than randomly execture English words with a strong Accent.

"Don esta huih aagds llrhna GENERAL SCALES! Telaks sayimn top tiis gja STARFOX fja tio!".

That wouldn't be a problem with Zelda, none of the names of the characters are made from English words.

Posted by Sean Fury

Does this new voice acting include Link speaking? And if it does, does he still make his "HYAH!" and miscellaeneous sounds when attacking, rolling, etc?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It bothers me in just about every game... unless it's made by, or on a Nintendo console. That's usually the only time I'll excuse the lack of voice overs. Not sure why that is.

Especially Zelda.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Sean Fury]Does this new voice acting include Link speaking? And if it does, does he still make his "HYAH!" and miscellaeneous sounds when attacking, rolling, etc?
Nope, nothing vocal aside from yells. And whatever the hell Midna says.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Stalolin: And whatever the hell Midna says.

HEY HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN!!!

Posted by Zeta

Video games need more bad voice acting. I can never get enough "What am I fighting for" or "Die monster, you don't belong in this world."

Text is one thing. It's completely different to hear it spoken.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Speedfreak: Yesterday I heard a suggestion for voice acting in Zelda that I thought was a pretty damn good one. What if everyone spoke, but in Hylian?

The Panzer Dragoon series does this. Totally fake language. Kind of sounds like a cross between German and Japanese. I don't think it really made the series any cooler than it would have been with straight text, though. There were a few words that just sounded cool in their context, I'll admit, like Azel's "Ni-rai" when her dragon launched its Oh-Jebus-Don't-Be-Flying-In-Front-Of-This-Attack. Overall, I much prefer all text/speech just the way they are in Zelda.

Posted by Burrito

Voice acting with quality similar to the Metal Gear Solid series or Resident Evil 4 would have been really nice. I mean Nintendo has the budget to get good voice actors, don't they? The game looks really cinematic, so the lack of voice acting is a bit strange.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Bebop: Apparntly this is Zeld'a biggest flaw.

nah, the lack of voices in Zelda games is appropriate. It doesn't matter how good the voices are, Zelda is better without.

Voices in games don't usually bother me. It usually adds more to the characters and gives the games more energy. Even if I read faster than they talk, I usually listen to them all the way through their speeches.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Better to have a great game with no voices than a great concept ruined by poor voice acting.

And if ones problem is infact that one finds reading to be too difficult, time consuming or annoying, I suggest two things to those people: Elementary School Education and a big fat reality check.

Posted by Dexter

I used to read so poorly back with the NES Metal Gear, I always had my older sister come read the material to me.

Posted by Burrito

LOL NES Metal Gear. It must have been even harder to readwith poorly translated lines like "I feel asleep".

Posted by Dexter

I wish I was learned enough to appreciate such greatness. :(

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Metal Gear on the NES is evil... the dogs scare me.

Posted by Slade

I always loved the noises people made while you were talking to them. They provided just the right amount of direction for your imagination to make up the rest.

And not only can the voice acting be bad in a game, but the quality of the voices can be bad. La Pucelle Tactics is like that. Some of those voices are just grating. Metal Gear Solid has some of the best voice acting in my opinion.

You know what voices were cool? The ones in Chibi-Robo.

Posted by Dexter

stfu. nothing beats star fox 64. nothing!

That game used actual voices overs. Chibi-Robo was just gibberish. And it was awesome.

Posted by Dexter

then star fox for super nintendo wins. best gibberish ever.

**** you. I bet you never even played Chibi-Robo.

Posted by Dexter

I have, but not much. I need to buy that game, badly.

Animal Crossing had some fun gibberish, too.

im just more of a furry than a roby.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Dexter: stfu. nothing beats star fox 64. nothing!

Oh hell thats the truth. Even if its a bit cheesey its allowed!

"Uncle Anndrrooooosss!"

Posted by Ant

Animal Crossings was pretty cool. But I'm really liking Midna's weird voice and giggle...it's adorable.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Dexter]stfu. nothing beats star fox 64. nothing!
I dunno, Blast Corps comes pretty close. "I swap your ham".

I find that, unless the game is trying to look like a movie anyway, voice acting is normally jarring takes you out of the game. I always prefer text in RPGs, especially if your character doesn't talk. I'm playing Fire Emblem on GC right now and I much prefer the voices each character has in my mind than the ones actually on screen; far too many game characters have American accents considering their time period and location. But for games like FPSs and stuff like God of War voice acting works better

Posted by Unite

Most game cube games have little to none voice acting in them.

Well most of games i have played recently have fairly good voice acting.

FF12(ps2)
Tales of abyss(ps2)
Gears of war(Xbox360)
fear(xbox360)
bully(ps2)
Metal Gear solid 3: snake eater(ps2)

still waiting for my copy of zelda before i judge it.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Unite: Tales of abyss(ps2)

I couldn't imagine this game without the voices. It gives the characters so much more personality and since there is so much dialogue in the game, the voices help carry you through it and make it seem more vital. Even during battle, I love how they talk. Anise gets me laughing with some of the things she says during battles and I don't know what I'd do without Tear's euphonious, soul-soothing singing.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Having a silent protagonist can add a lot of depth to a game. Would Shadow of the Colossus been better if the dude hadn't been really pensive throughout, only calling to his horse, and instead shouted 'take THAT!' every time he stabbed a monster in the head? On the flipside, how much better would Superman Returns be if you didn't have to hear Brandon Routh's voice come out of the speakers every six seconds?

As to the Zelda characters speaking in Hylian - no. If it's anything like what that giant fish spoke in Wind Waker, fuck. That. Shit.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Unite]Most game cube games have little to none voice acting in them.

Well most of games i have played recently have fairly good voice acting.

FF12(ps2)
Tales of abyss(ps2)
Gears of war(Xbox360)
fear(xbox360)
bully(ps2)
Metal Gear solid 3: snake eater(ps2)

still waiting for my copy of zelda before i judge it.
Most of my Gamecube games have voice acting you total dumba[COLOR=lightgreen]s[/COLOR]s. Even Mario has it for fuck's sake.

To be fair, I can't think of anything outside cutscenes.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Speedfreak: Most of my Gamecube games have voice acting you total dumba[COLOR=lightgreen]s[/COLOR]s. Even Mario has it for fuck's sake.

thats why i said a little

Except that if that's what you meant, it's not even in the right place in the sentence. Stop trying to cover your *** half-heartedly and accept your misgivings. Also try and get intelligence.

Voice acting without cut-scenes is only just now arriving, and given that Zelda is a GameCube port it's unreasonable to expect it.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Wings: Except that if that's what you meant, it's not even in the right place in the sentence. Stop trying to cover your *** half-heartedly and accept your misgivings. Also try and get intelligence.

Voice acting without cut-scenes is only just now arriving, and given that Zelda is a GameCube port it's unreasonable to expect it.

Actually I was talking about the amount of voice acting in the games when I mentioned it. I just worded wrongly so it came out like it did. You and speed always getting ****ed off over every little negative comment lol. I like to apologize about the comment in other post about your wealth. Fresh start?

Communicating badly and then acting indignant when someone calls you out on it is not clever. I hope you've learned something here today.

Also, what? Wealth?

Hahahahahaha, you're rich! How's it feel to be rich, you stupid rich baby? Aw, what's the matter, have to spend a lot of money because your pockets are overflowing? Cry more, richy.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Wings: Communicating badly and then acting indignant when someone calls you out on it is not clever. I hope you've learned something here today.

Also, what? Wealth?

hmm nvm

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Hahahahahaha, you're rich! How's it feel to be rich, you stupid rich baby? Aw, what's the matter, have to spend a lot of money because your pockets are overflowing? Cry more, richy.

hmm assuming your directing that at me, I'm not rich. cry over what?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Unite]thats why i said a little

Okay then, in that case most games period don't have MGS levels of voice acting.

Idiot.

Quoted post: hmm assuming your directing that at me, I'm not rich. cry over what?

Yeah, it was directed at you. Hence the lack of quotes or anything addressing you. Luckily it came right after your post so as to clear up any confusing.