Wii Issues

Posted by Hyper

[quote=Andrew]Yes, there are tons of problems with the Nintendo Wiis, ranging from disc reading errors, start up disk problems and power issues.. I'm unfortunately one of them.

Zelda and Wii Sports only plays once out of 5 times. Everything is loaded properly, the discs are in mint condition and I've read the manual quite a few times to make sure the discs were in properly (I mean, they load once in 5 tries, so they are properly inserted). Even with the console horizontally and vertically, no change in performance or reliabilty. There's a loud noise in the console, and the disc is no longer read.

I guess I should've waited a few weeks or after christmas for a Wii. There are some "mandatory" updates to be made as well... lucky me, I don't have a high speed internet connection (not available in my area). I really have no one to bring it to either.

So, I guess I'll have to endure phoning and re-phoning Nintendo's hotline to get my system replaced/repaired. The manual says to not return the console to the store due to game data and personal stuff.

Oh well, anyone else with similar problems willing to share some sympathy?

http://www.vgamin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38695

Posted by Dexter

Everything's been working incredibly smoothly for me. Some people were having problems with their PS3s, too, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it, either.

Posted by Big Boss

Ha! I was just going to make a thread like this.

I tried to "link" my Nintendo username to the Wii, and it got stuck on the "My Nintendo Membership Link - Connecting. Please wait..." page. Nintendo didn't think of putting a Cancel option on the menu, so while you can still point with the remote, you can't do anything!

So, I figured I should press the Reset button on the console. Didn't work. If you want to talk about the king of freezes, it's one where no matter if you press the Reset and/or Power buttons or unplug the console, the frozen screen will remain there once you plug it back in! So, as I was half-laughing at my $249.99 piece of crap, I just held the Power button for 5 seconds until the console was finally turned off. Once on, it would start as normal.

I'm trying to link my username again, and it seems to have the same problem. Yay! I'll see if others will eventually share my problem.

Posted by Dexter

It linked me flawlessly.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Dexter: It linked me flawlessly.

Good for you. That's the kind of answer I give PS3 owners that are pi[color=yellowgreen]ssed off their systems don't work while mine is perfectly fine.

But that's the risk we take when we buy launch systems. Any launch system.[/color]

Posted by protomanv4

these are the issues. I'm now sort of glad that im waiting to get wii for christmas.

Posted by muffla

never buy a system at launch period

Posted by RandomizeR

i hope mine is okay

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting muffla: never buy a system at launch period

Unless you're prepared to deal with the consequences, which I am despite my increasing anger. My launch 360 died just a month ago, like most others, because the first batch didn't handle the use of multiple cores efficiently that are required for newer games coming out, so when Mel popped in Double Agent, it killed it. Microsoft got a lot more defective systems than they anticipated, to the point where they stopped sending free repair boxes that were originally meant for all launch-console owners with system issues. At least I only had to pay for shipping.

Woo! I got the circle with the moving ball! I didn't before! That's an improvement... I think.

Posted by nich

I've got a quick question for you gents, does the blue light on your Wii stay on all the time? I heard one guy say that it flashes when he turned it on but he wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting nich: I've got a quick question for you gents, does the blue light on your Wii stay on all the time? I heard one guy say that it flashes when he turned it on but he wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not.

It doesn't stay on. The same guy who I quoted to make this thread was curious about that as well.

Posted by nich

Well, that's a bit dissapointing.

Posted by Dexter

That's what mine does and that's what I think it is supposed to do. I haven't heard of it staying on constantly.

It's a pretty light, too. I wouldn't mind if it stayed on.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Big Boss]ck ring?

Posted by Drewboy64

No problems for me! I have been sending people messages and penis-related pictures via WiFi! Zelda runs smoothely all the time, and my *** is the Wii amazing!!!!

Posted by Dexter

No one's sent me a message yet. Send me one, Drewboy64. Send a goofy image, as long as it isn't penis-related! :mad:

Posted by Drewboy64

what is your friend code?

Wii: 6105-0991-2746-7588 Mii Name: Drewboy

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Send him boobies.

Posted by Drewboy64

Boobies with sparkling nipples!

Posted by Big Boss

LOLMAO! You're sending wees to your Wiis! LOLOL!O!L!!

*Ahem*

The issue I had was probably Nintendo's servers going insane, although it doesn't save them from the engineering flaw of locking the system when it's trying to connect while leaving the user helpless and unable to do anything about it but "hard boot" the system. It could easily be fixed with an update though, in case it happens again when the next batch of systems come out.

Posted by Speedfreak

This happens with any peice of electronics with updatable firmware, I'm afraid. That's what's causing all the errors. We all know Nintendo tends to have the most reliable hardware by far, but not even they can escape faults that plague certain kinds of products like dead pixels or dodgy firmware.

Pretty much every single successful network service crashes on the first day, there's very little anyone can do about it.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Dexter: That's what mine does and that's what I think it is supposed to do. I haven't heard of it staying on constantly.

It's a pretty light, too. I wouldn't mind if it stayed on.

Sigh, that's my only problem right now - my light has never come on. For some reason, I don't think that it was ever either soldered or plugged in correctly. Maybe I haven't done something right, but it doesn't matter if I have a disc in the drive or not - WiiConnect24 is enabled but it doesnt do anything either.

Posted by Ant

Yeah, that first update took about an hour for me :/ I wasn't sure if it was my internet connection or the servers. But after that when I tired to connect to the Wii24hour thing it wouldn't let me because due to some error.

I wish I knew the size of the update - I actually had two to do for one reason or another. The News and Forecast channels are still offline, right?

Posted by Ant

Yeaaaaaaaah. You probably had to do two because you may have gotten a model that was made earlier in the production, without the newest firmware.

Posted by Dexter

Every update I did so far was done in under 10 minutes. What update took so long for everyone?

They haven't been named, but it's just been the "core firmware updates" I believe. They did take a while to do, but it wasn't long enough for me to complain. I download at about 300kbps, so I assume it was fairly large

The Wii online seems to be really slow. Perhaps that's why the online service ahs been delayed.

Posted by Riku

does anyone have any idea when service for online will be up, for example when forecast channel and new channel will be up? also does anyone know when the web browser is supposed to come out?

Posted by Cloudstud

Quoting Dexter: Everything's been working incredibly smoothly for me. Some people were having problems with their PS3s, too, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it, either.

This is why I cant stand this site somtimes... I love coming here and discussing every system and every game but all the Nintendo Fan Boys bashing sony just gets old. This thread was an attempt to discuss problems that people have been having with the Wii. The PS3 really shouldnt even be discussed here.... What is the point of saying well my wii works fine buy boy that ps3 has been having problems..... Its very frustrating somtimes......

Posted by Dexter

Learn to read, fool. I wasn't bashing Sony at all. If anything, I was sticking up for them by saying I didn't notice any problems with the PS3. Both systems, as far as I can tell, have been working very well. It was relevant to our discussion and I thought my observation was worth mentioning here. Again, learn to read! :mad:

The web broswer, news and weather are all slated to be launched next month (presumably to coincide with the Japanese, European and Australian launches), but they could miss that date.

Posted by Big Boss

Some people have had to return their systems because Nintendo accidentally packaged demo versions of the Wii instead of retail versions, as has happened with several consumers that got the system from GameStop. Also, if you get one of two specific error codes, Nintendo just tells you to ship the system back for a new one as there's no fix for it.

The error codes are like 11something. If you get 53whatever, then it should just be the Nintendo network service crapping out, so just try again later.

Posted by Ant

No fix huh? Well...that's kinda depressing. You can save game files onto SD cards right? Because I really don't want to buy one and find out I can't save my Zelda progress on there. And all my little Mii's. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

edit: lol after looking in the manual; yes, it does save game files.

Posted by protomanv4

Quoting Wings: The web broswer, news and weather are all slated to be launched next month (presumably to coincide with the Japanese, European and Australian launches), but they could miss that date.

Yay now i'm happy that im getting Wii next month. I hope I don't get any problems. Wish me luck.

Posted by Cloudstud

Quoting Dexter: Learn to read, fool. I wasn't bashing Sony at all. If anything, I was sticking up for them by saying I didn't notice any problems with the PS3. Both systems, as far as I can tell, have been working very well. It was relevant to our discussion and I thought my observation was worth mentioning here. Again, learn to read! :mad:

I appologize Dexter when you said it was working well I thought you were referring to the Wii. My appoligies for misunderstanding what you were trying to say.

Posted by Dexter

I'm also sorry for replying so roughly. You didn't deserve that and what I did was uncalled for. I wasn't actually mad or anything at all but I see that it sounds that way. I usually don't do such things in such a harsh manner when I knew it was a simple mistake. I didn't compost myself very well.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

holy crap you guys actually BOUGHT ps3s.

Posted by Bebop

BJ the last time you commented on a video game thread was the last time i was sober.

OH SHI--

Posted by ScudZteR

I'm going to be responsible buy the Wii when all my necessities are taken care of such as
-Car
-Glasses
-Cell Phone Bill
-School Bank

so what I'm trying to say is I'm broke and can't afford it.

Screw it, I can stand not driving/talking/seeing for a little while

Posted by Killer Jordo

Good thing I'm waitinga month and a half.

Posted by RandomizeR

Quoting Dexter: I'm also sorry for replying so roughly. You didn't deserve that and what I did was uncalled for. I wasn't actually mad or anything at all but I see that it sounds that way. I usually don't do such things in such a harsh manner when I knew it was a simple mistake. I didn't compost myself very well.

Why you're so nice ;)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dexter again.

Quoting Dexter: I didn't compost myself very well.

:D

Posted by ccrocker58

The only time I had any problems with my Wii was during the first 2 days of it being out. During that period my connection was either not there, or if it was connected, it was at unholy slow speeds. I'm guessing that was just becuase of Nintendo underexpecting response to people using the network and not alotting proper bandwidth.

After that though, I've been sending messages and trading Miis all over the place, I downloaded a couple of VC games, only took 5 minutes to dl Bonks Adventure and just a bit longer for SM64.

Oh, and the disc light, it doesn't come on unless you have the system off, and you recieve a message from a friend on your address book, or Nintendo has an update ready to be installed. Also, the default setting for the disc light is "Off" I believe. You can change that in the Wii Settings menu under "WiiConnect24". I too wish there was a way to leave that light on all the time though...it's purdy...

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Wings: :D

You do know I did that one on purpose, right? ;)

No you didn't, ******.

Posted by Dexter

I would think you of all people would get it!

Posted by Bebop

I have a Wii issue. Putting on Wii Golf really doesnt seem to detect at all. I must be doing it wrong. Even though every other club detects fine.

Posted by Dexter

I don't know what would be the result of that problem. If the rest of the clubs work, you couldn't be doing anythin' wrong because it's basically the same methods used for all clubs.

Yeah, the problem is, annoyingly, that you're trying to use it as a putter. If you swing it like you would a regular club (like, bringing it up in an arcing swing), it'll register.

Wii Golf sucks. That's the issue.

Posted by Drewboy64

You have to get used to golf's controls. When you're driving, bring it back and follow through. Make sure your follow through isn't too fast and is controlled, so your shot won't go crazy.

As for putting, just put like you would normally and do one smooth movement.

I didn't like golf at all at first, but it's good once you get a hang of it.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Wings: Yeah, the problem is, annoyingly, that you're trying to use it as a putter. If you swing it like you would a regular club (like, bringing it up in an arcing swing), it'll register.

Gah! What the hell? The biggest problem Ive had with the Wii so far.

I've just found that if you use a standard putting stance (as in, move your soulders with your body, not just your arms), and follow through, it works surprisingly well.

Still sucks tho.

srsly, standing for games? **** that.

Looks like the Wii is not the video game console for you!

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Still sucks tho.

srsly, standing for games? **** that.

Are you being serious? You dont like the idea of standing to play golf? Is this a joke?

Posted by Bebop

In bowling my balls always go to the left. My friends have this problem too. We've tried tilting to wiimote in all directions but the only things that solves this is alot of power.

Posted by Ant

I always have my ball curve to the right :) On purpose though. GO ME.

Quoted post: Is this a joke?

Yes.

Quoting Bebop: In bowling my balls always go to the left. My friends have this problem too. We've tried tilting to wiimote in all directions but the only things that solves this is alot of power.

This is natural for right-handers. The solution for me (in real bowling, not just Wii Sports) was not to whang the ball so hard down the aisle - take your time and deliver a forceful, but deliberate and controlled, bowl as opposed to the hardest throw possible.

Posted by Bebop

Now I can sleep well.

MONSTERS.

There, that should fix that.

NAKED BLACK PEOPLE

Posted by s0ul

I think that's what Wings just said, dude. Read the thread.

Posted by protomanv4

When i played bolling at my local mall i did just fine. I usually hit 1 or more pins. try using the d-pad for moving yourself.

Quoting protomanv4: 1 or more pins.

This is not 'fine'.