Final Fantasy III

Posted by maian

Just got it, with gift cards, thankfully. ($40?)

Anyway, wow. I love it. I've never played any Final Fantasies past IV and VI, save for FFTA, and CC. And those don't really count. This one, it seems, truly captures the feel and look of the old school 2D ones that I love so much. I really felt like I was playing a new adventure, but it completely captured the essence of the SNES games. I'm thankful for that, because I loved those.

It's pretty fun, so far. I just got my 4th party member, and it's just starting. But it truly feels like I'm playing one of the old Final Fantasies, just in 3D. It's great.

Posted by HfsJunky

Wow, I'm glad your having fun with it. The people that work at the EBgames near me are idiots, they sold my preorder. I'm happy to hear its a good game.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Yeah, I picked it up. It's really good, but I do have some beef with it, as I always do when Square remakes a game.

In the original game, the four heroes all shared the same backstory, as orphans raised by the elder and all that. They all fell into the cave at the beginning together, and you'd never lose a party member. I noticed that the girl won't go into Kazus while it's cursed in the DS version. And that sucks because the Mithril Mine in Kazus is excellent for leveling up, and the girl has to miss out on the exp.

But my biggest beef so far is the "Freelancer" job class. In the original version, you started as an "Onion Kid". The difference between the two is that Freelancers can do way more. They can learn low-level magic like Cure and Fire. They can use special swords like the Wightslayer, previously available only to Red Mages. They can use big swords like the Longsword in the DS version. In the old one, they could only use Knife-type weapons.

Basically, in the original version, there was absolutely NO reason to keep an Onion Kid. As soon as you got the job classes, you changed everyone immediately because the Onion Kid was so awful. And you got the first set of jobs in the cave at the beginning, when you first see the crystal. I guess that since you're stuck with the Freelancer for a while, it's nice that they made it a little more useable than the Onion Kid. But I still feel like they changed a somewhat big piece of the job system when they made the default job class an okay one.

The reason the Onion Kid was so weak is because the four kids weren't warriors. They were terrible fighters until they found the crystal and gained the knowledge of the first set of jobs, at which point they became decent fighters. Prior to that, they were simply kids. Which makes more sense to me. I mean, as Freelancers, they're somehow able to use magic and fight with heavy weapons and wear heavy armor. For some reason, these four kids are all skilled fighters already, in the DS version. Except the one guy you get in Sasune castle. He was a fighter already. But the other three would probably not be too great in a sword fight. In the NES version, they become better fighters when the got the power from the crystal that enabled them to fight with greater proficiency, which seems to make more sense.

I'm only at the beginning so far. I'm about to go fight the Djinn in the cave north of Sasune, so I'm not very far at all. I hope there aren't too many other things added to the game to water it down.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]Basically, in the original version, there was absolutely NO reason to keep an Onion Kid

Onion Equipment, and insane stat growth at higher levels. >_>

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Zeta: Onion Equipment, and insane stat growth at higher levels. >_>

Well, I'm saying that when you get the first set of jobs, there's no reason to keep an Onion Kid. I know there's the Onion equipment, way later in the game. At that point, I've been known to bestow the title of "Onion" on my heroes again.

Posted by maian

lol I didn't play the original :cool:

Yeah, I'm where you are. About to fight the Djinn. He did beat me, after he killed the guy from Sasune, my strongest. I'll do fine this time, though. Also, looking at a map, I realized I missed half the cave and accidently went straight to the boss.

Posted by Apathetic

I saw the commercial for this, intrigued to purchase now.

Posted by Shade

I'm gonna pick this up after I beat FFIV. I don't want to put that off any longer, even though I really want this game. :(

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I didn't know FF 3 was on nintendo DS. That's awesome. I liked FF 1&2 Dawn of souls, so I'll probably get it soon. It's cool, because on my PS 1 mini, I asked if they had FF 3 (I wanted to buy this one before FF 4,5,6...etc) but they told me it only came in a Japanese version, so I skipped. Cool :D[/COLOR]

Posted by Shade

Final Fantasy II was ridiculous. The final boss went down with one Unltima attack.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I found the level system very badly done indeed, but meh...I still finished it.[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Shade32: Final Fantasy II was ridiculous. The final boss went down with one Unltima attack.

What the hell? Who has the patience to max out all their spells for an uber-Ultima? Try fighting the Emperor with no Blood Sword, Masamunes, or Ultima. ****ing hard. Even harder if your characters have really high HP.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Yay Zeta! It's true though, most people complain about games without realising they can do all sorts of stuff on their own to give it a new edge.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Zeta: What the hell? Who has the patience to max out all their spells for an uber-Ultima? Try fighting the Emperor with no Blood Sword, Masamunes, or Ultima. ****ing hard. Even harder if your characters have really high HP.

I didn't. It was at level 10 and did 9999 damage. He went down. That was the first hit on him, too.

Posted by Zeta

But he has like, 15,000 HP. =/

Posted by Shade

I know. I didn't get it either.

Posted by maian

I don't know if I'm too fond of the job system in FFIII. :( I got so used to the system in FFTA, that this one is kind of annoying me.

Like, I had this awesome black mage, then I changed him to a scholar. Suddenly, all of his MP is gone, and when I change him back, he has to grow it all back. Ugh. :(

I have three complaints about this game:

The unstable job system (I'm sure it'll be fine when I figure it out better)
No save points in dungeons (Not for saving, but for repleneshing)
The bloody mini dungeons.

Otherwise, I love it. :)

Posted by Echo

I just hit the 11 hour mark (spoiler:[spoiler]I'm currently in the first dungeon in the surface world, looking for the water crystal.[/spoiler])and I'm really enjoying it. I have the same issues with the job system as maian, but I can get over that. It's nice to play an older Final Fantasy game again, it's been a few years since I've played anything before FFX.

Just curious, what is everyone's team set up as? I have Luneth as a Geomancer, Arc as a White Mage, Refia as a Ranger, and Ingus as a Knight. I'm still kind of playing around with the jobs, but I like this setup. Both Arc and Ingus have Cure (and Arc has Cura), and Arc is wielding a Fire Staff and an Ice Staff. I'm limited with Black Magic to Fire and Blizzard using the staffs, but I can use different elemental arrows with Refia. And more than once has the Geomancer's Terrain option done some massive damage when I really need it.

Posted by maian

Yeah, the only issue I have with the jobs is that once you change, it takes eternity for your party to get nearly as strong as they were with their old jobs.

As for the party, this is what I have right now:

Luneth: Knight
Arc: Scholar
Refia: Thief
Ingus: Red Mage

Posted by Echo

Quoting maian: Yeah, the only issue I have with the jobs is that once you change, it takes eternity for your party to get nearly as strong as they were with their old jobs.

It's easier if you make sure to stagger job changes. I like to always have one person who is fairly strong and has a high job level in my party while I have one or two of my others change jobs. That way the one stronger character can help pick up the slack when the others are raising their job levels.

Posted by XxLionheartXx

hows the multiplayer?

Posted by Zeta

There's pretty much no multiplayer. All you can do is send mail to each other.

Posted by Shade

I think that's pretty cool, personally.

Posted by maian

I have yet to try it.

But, I just hit right about where Echo is. I don't think I'm at 11 hours though. I decided to only change Arc to a scholar, and to leave the rest of the party at their curent jobs, so I wouldn't have to stagger through Hein castle with new jobs for everyone. Now that I'm free to do anything, I'll probably level up a bit more and level the jobs before I move on through the main quest.

Old school Final Fantasies are harder without a ZSNES. :(

Has any one else had it happen that when you change jobs at the same time, all the chararacters level out, whilst unarmed, at the attack power of the first equiped character you changed?

I have a white Mage that deals the damage of double Mythral Sword with her bare hands.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting maian: I don't know if I'm too fond of the job system in FFIII. :( I got so used to the system in FFTA, that this one is kind of annoying me.

Like, I had this awesome black mage, then I changed him to a scholar. Suddenly, all of his MP is gone, and when I change him back, he has to grow it all back. Ugh. :(

That's because Scholar's don't have the high max MP that a BM has. Just go stay at an Inn or use a recovery water after you make him a BM again.
[quote]
I have three complaints about this game:

The unstable job system (I'm sure it'll be fine when I figure it out better)
It's not so much that it's unstable. But there are just too many useless jobs. Scholar is only good for Hein, Geomancer is not good, Bard is not good, and Black Mage is only good for Boss fights, but is useless the rest of the time.
[quote]
No save points in dungeons (Not for saving, but for repleneshing)
The bloody mini dungeons.
Agreed, on both points. Like when I went to get the horns of Ice back from the cave North of the Dwarf cave, I knew I'd be fighting a fire boss, so I had to save all of my Blizzard2s for him, which meant I couldn't use Thunder2, Fire2 or Blizzard2 the whole way through the dungeon because I knew there's no way to fill up MP, besides wasting an Elixir.
[quote]
Otherwise, I love it. :)

Again, agreed.

Posted by maian

I've finally got a good arrangement on my jobs. I finally got the water crystal jobs, which more than make up for the useless last dose of jobs.

Arc was changed from Scholar to Geomancer, and well, I love the Geomancer. He has good defense, and an unlimited amount of terrain attacks that are pretty much like strong spells, just without the MP limit.

Luneth was finally changed from Warrior to Dark Knight, and he does his job well. Excellent attack power, and the soul-whatever hardly takes damage, yet delivers a killing blow nearly every time.

And, Ingus was finally changed from a Red Mage to a Dragoon. I couldn't find anything good for him before, and his Red-Mage powerfullness was finally starting to wear off. He has excellent offense as a Dragoon, and fits in well with the party.

Refia has remained a thief the whole game. I was about to change her, but then I finally got her new weapons. (The weapons she's had the whole game were from the second town) She got new weapons and defense, and is now amazing. Every attack is a 20+ hitter, and she's always first.

I think the issue with the jobs for me is that the second dose of them just sucked, yet I still felt compelled to change them. :cookie:

Posted by Shade

You guys are making it really hard to not own this game. :(

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

I also picked this up recently. And as many have said before me, I love it!
[quote]No save points in dungeons (Not for saving, but for repleneshing)
Yea, the MP system hasn't been my favorite either.

As for jobs:
Luneth: Warrior (Jlvl.21)
Arc: Black Mage (Jlvl.20)
Refia: White Mage (Jlvl.20)
Ingus: Red Mage (Jlvl.19)

And Im only at the part when you get the horns of ice back, the only problem Im having getting past this part is, Arc keeps dying halfway through the dungeon and for some reason just as soon as I revive him, in the next battle he will die again. A lot of help that is going against that salamander.

Posted by maian

Try stocking up on potions and cure items. Use your spells very sparingly in dungeons.

And yeah, that's really the only complaint I have now about the game. The magic system sucks. It just sucks, there's not other way to put it. :cookie:

It is THE original magic system, all the way back from the original Final Fantasy on the NES. They didn't have the 999mp system until 4 came out, but as a lover of old games (including the original Final Fantasy) I'm use to the system in FF3 and it doesn't really bother me.

Look at it this way: At least unlike FF1, you can acctually make the money needed to keep your characters up to date!:D

Posted by Echo

Is anyone using shields? I usually just have my characters dual wielding instead of using a shield, since it seems that the extra 50 or so attack (at this point) are worth more than the extra few defense points.

Also, my class changes now have my team with:

Luneth: Dragoon
Arc: White Mage (has been all game)
Refia: Evoker (considering changing back to Ranger)
Ingus: Dark Knight

Posted by Shade

So wait, the magic system in this game is the same as in FF1? I'll be fine with that.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting Angerion the Brave: Yay Zeta! It's true though, most people complain about games without realising they can do all sorts of stuff on their own to give it a new edge.
Wrong. It's the company's job to make a good game that will challenge us enough to bore us. What am I supposed to do to make the stupidly-easy FFTA harder, break half the screen so I can't see what's going on?

Posted by Zeta

Use only one or two units per battle. :)

Laaame. How about a challenging game that won't irritate the hell out of me, instead?

*goes back to playing Fire Emblem*

Posted by Shade

Fire Emblem would be so much more fun without the whole, "they die, it's forever" crap. That just makes it irritating as hell.

Quoting Shade32: Fire Emblem would be so much more fun without the whole, "they die, it's forever" crap. That just makes it irritating as hell.

Not a chance. That, unlike the "laws" and "turn in this direction" crap that FFTA passes off, is a legit cause of added strategy. It takes the challenge factor completely into another direction, and causes you to get more attached to each characer.

Posted by Shade

I didn't mention anything about FFTA. I tried playing it once, but battle was too boring and the story took too long to progress.

Added challenge? Sure. But the challenge doesn't make it fun if the game irritates you so much, you chuck your GBA at the wall.

See, there's different dimensions to what is entertaining. Sure, it frustrates the hell out of me when I can't keep a character alive, and thus feel the need to go back and restart, but you know what? That's what keeps me coming back for more. Once you actually do accomplish the really tough goals, it feels that much more satisfying.

Posted by maian

Bah, I've died like five times in the Temple of Time now. It's odd, because I've been able to quickly and efficiently annihilate every enemy in all the dungeons before this. (Except for the freakin' mini dungeons where only magic is allowed) It'll just be from stupid things, like when I forget to heal up after a fight and a Chimera Mage takes out two team members with lightning. =/ It wouldn't be an issue, but I only have one Phoenix Down. That's the last complaint I have about this game. You can't buy Phoenix Downs. >_>

Posted by Zeta

For that first sentence I though you had gotten Twilight Princess. =/

If you need some Pheonix Downs, they can be stolen from Rust Birds, though I don't know where they are. :cookie:

Posted by maian

Rust birds wtf. :cookie:

Yeah, I got a laugh from the Temple of Time. Then I realized it wasn't like, cool or anything. I can easily kill 95% of the enemies down there, but one or two end up getting me for some reason. =/

Posted by Echo

Not being able to buy Pheonix Downs is why I've been adamant about having a White Mage the entire game, because I can now use Raise to revive my allies. Granted, it isn't too useful in the midst of battle because whoever I raise will probably be swiftly killed again, but if one or two of my party members die in a battle they'll be back for the next.

Posted by maian

Still haven't cleared light temple. >_> The only thing that's causing deaths are the freaking Chimera Mages. Although I can kill one in one hit, they always come in threes, and every run through the dungeon, I've been back attacked by them, and of course, they all cast lightning. And lightning, being an all party attacker, decimates me. :) It wouldn't be a problem if Luneth's defense didn't suck so much. He's a dark knight, but the last equipment I've been able to find that fits him was from the Dwarven caves.

Posted by Shade

Are black mages as useless as they are in the original FF?

Posted by Echo

Quoting maian: Still haven't cleared light temple. >_> The only thing that's causing deaths are the freaking Chimera Mages. Although I can kill one in one hit, they always come in threes, and every run through the dungeon, I've been back attacked by them, and of course, they all cast lightning. And lightning, being an all party attacker, decimates me. :) It wouldn't be a problem if Luneth's defense didn't suck so much. He's a dark knight, but the last equipment I've been able to find that fits him was from the Dwarven caves.

Yeah, I've got Ingus as a Dark Knight and haven't gotten any armor for him in a while. However, if you go to the cave underwater in the little triangle shaped island on the bottom right of the world map. There is an Ancient Sword there, which has 80 attack and inflicts paralysis. Inside the Temple of Time is the Defender, which has 95 attack and can cast protect. Dual wielding those, Ingus can use Souleater and nearly kill all three of the Chimera Mages. Any attack from anyone else should kill it, so if you have each of your other three characters attack a different one, they should all go down easily, hopefully before they all three cast Lightning. Although I just finished the Temple of Time and it was actually pretty uncommon for them to use Lightning, and not once did they all three do it together. Also, even though it won't help your Dark Knight, the Diamond equipment found in the Temple is resistant to lightning.

Shade: So far, I haven't used the Black Mage.

Posted by maian

Just cleared it. I never had any problem killing the Mages. It's just when they fscking back attacked, they all attacked first, and ALWAYS cast three lightnings.

Posted by Ichigo54

I love penises. They're delicious.

Posted by Apathetic

Anyone care to explain the mail system?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Ichigo54: Can ne1 tell me where to get ANY summons for my Evoker/ Summoner plz
((i created my own thread for it)

Well, I think they sell some spells in Doga's Village. You know where Doga's Manor is, right? Well, you know how you get into that chasm filled with monsters from the southwest of the continent? If you go to the southeast of that same continent, you'll notice a clearing in the mountains, and in that clearing you'll see a house and a small amount of water. If you go to the east of that clearing while flying the Nautilus, you can submerge the ship right there and you'll see a small tunnel. Go through the tunnel, come back above water at the end of the tunnel, and you're now able to land your ship and visit Doga's Village. You should have no trouble finding your spells there.

Posted by maian

You can find some there, but there was a village especially for summoners. It was either the small island near Saronia (But I believe that was Geomancers/Bards), or the city on the continent of Saronia. It's north of the giant castle city, by the woods. That's where you should find a bunch.

But, I may be wrong. I haven't even touched it at all once I acquired Twilight Princess.

Posted by Zeta

k, got it.

At Sealed Cave, all party members at Lv5. After playing the NES version, not having access to jobs at this point has me a little nervous.

Posted by maian

You'll be fine. The jobs come soon, and you'll get used to them. Friendly warning: the second dose of jobs suck.

Posted by Apathetic

How many dose's of jobs are there?

Posted by Zeta

Quoting maian: Friendly warning: the second dose of jobs suck.

Geomancer disagrees.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Apathetic: How many dose's of jobs are there?

Technically, there are four sets of jobs that you acquire, one for each crystal. But after getting the fourth set, you can get the mysterious "Onion Knight" job class which is somewhat of a secret, but is quite ***like when you get it.

Set 1 Wind Crystal -
Warrior
Monk
White Mage
Black Mage
Red Mage
Thief

Set 2 Fire Crystal -
Scholar (This guy can double the effect of items used in battle)
Ranger (Uses bows. That's it)
Geomancer (Uses Terrain based pseudomagic)
Knight (Souped up Warrior)

Set 3 Water Crystal -
Dragoon (Can Jump for a lot of damage)
Viking (High Defense and attack, low agility)
Dark Knight (Good against Splitter Monsters)
Evoker (Uses "Summon" magic)
Bard (Sings beneficials songs, casting Haste etc...)

Set 4 - Earth Crystal -
Black Belt (Souped up Monk)
Devout (Souped up White Mage)
Summoner (Souped up Evoker)
Magus (Souped up Black Mage)
Sage (Uses Black/White/Summon magic)
Ninja (w00t)

[quote=Maian]Friendly warning: the second dose of jobs suck.
The Scholar is VERY helpful when fighting Hein because he can change his weakness whenever he wants, and the Scholar can detect his weakness. Plus, the Scholar doubles items in battle, including spell items like Anarctic Wind. So if Hein is weak to Ice at the time, have a Scholar use an Anarctic Wind and he'll get hurt really badly.

The Knight is a definite upgrade for your Warrior. If you have a Warrior, change him into a Knight ASAP.

The Ranger is okay, I guess. He does decent damage and can stay in the back row, but still, it's not worth losing a different job class to make someone a ranger.

I know many would disagree, but I can't find the Geomancer to be useful. The Geomancer isn't awful, but I'd rather have that character as something else, like a Monk, a Thief, a White Mage or a Knight. There are no battles where having a Geomancer will really win it for you, so I didn't bother training one.

[quote=Zeta]After playing the NES version, not having access to jobs at this point has me a little nervous.
Yeah, I thought they made the Freelancer a bit too good. You don't even HAVE to change to a job when you get them because the Freelancer can do weak magic and can use almost any item at that point in the game. On the NES version, you couldn't get by if you left someone as an Onion Kid*. The Onion Kid was just too weak that as soon as you got jobs, you'd have to change immediately or you wouldn't last a minute.

But I guess they had to make the Freelancer a bit better for the sake of the story considering that you can't the jobs until you have all four characters, and you don't start with all four like you do on the NES.

Zeta, what do you think of the "Job Adjustment" as opposed to the Capacity System? I think the Job Adjustment adds more challenge because you can't just freely switch back and forth right before a boss or something.

Also, on the NES version, I have a character who has been a Monk up until I got the Karateka and then he was a Karateka for the rest of the game. And his HP was a testimony to that. He had WAYYY more HP than anyone else. But on the DS, I have a guy who has been a Monk the whole time (Arc), and he actually has the lowest HP of anyone.

Plus, the Thief wasn't available until the second set of jobs on the NES. And the Karateka (now called "Black Belt") was available with the third set. It bothers me that you have to wait until right before Eureka to get the Black Belt. And having the Thief so early on makes it easy to get into those locked doors that you'd have to get keys for in the NES version.

Posted by maian

Quoting Zeta: Geomancer disagrees.

That's one point where I agree. I used Geomancer for the majority of the game. He was very, very helpful, up until the fourth serving of jobs, where he started to become too weak.

As for the scholar, yes, he's useful for fighting Hein, but that's it. He only serves a good purpose if you use tons of items and are fighting enemies with weaknesses that you don't know of. Most random encounters are pretty easy, so the scholar is pretty much useless except for when fighting Hein, which the game blatantly tells you to do.

Ranger was okay, but wasn't enough for me. And for some reason, I liked my warrior a lot more. I can't really say why, but my warrior performed a lot better then when he was a knight.

Posted by Zeta

Knights are more of a defensive job, or so I've heard. I haven't changed my Warrior to one because Refia looks so cute in the Warrior outfit. =3

And yeah, I prefer Job Adjustment over Capacity System as well.

Posted by maian

Refia's hawt as a thief. :-*

well

not really, but, y'know. :(

Posted by jacksaddiction

****, I really shouldnt have read anything about this game >_<
But I just caaaaaant wait ¬_¬

Posted by Zeta

Is it just me, or are Thieves broken? I switched from Boomerang/Chakram to Air Knife/Behemoth Knife in the Temple of Time, and started doing a whopping 7000+ damage.

Posted by Shade

Holy **** really.

As soon as I get this game, everyone's getting the thief treatment.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Zeta: Is it just me, or are Thieves broken? I switched from Boomerang/Chakram to Air Knife/Behemoth Knife in the Temple of Time, and started doing a whopping 7000+ damage.

I did the same thing. Their reign of terror doesn't last long, though. You get better gear for better classes not too much later...

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Stinger: I did the same thing. Their reign of terror doesn't last long, though. You get better gear for better classes not too much later...

On the contrary, I'm on my way to Eureka and I'm still using the same Thief I set up when I first recieved the job. He's level 94 now. He can steal almost everytime, and he does WAYYYYYY more damage than my level 30 Dark Knight or my level 60 Monk. Plus, my Thief's agility is so high that he almost always acts first, which is handy to know when healing and stuff.

Unless something drastic happens, I'll be keeping my Thief all the way to the end.

One big difference is that the Thief is available in the first set of jobs now. On the Famicom, you didn't get Thief until the second set, along with Scholar and the rest. Another difference is that you don't get the Karateka until the fourth set now, which sucks.

Posted by maian

Yeah, I have like, a level 96 thief. What happens when a job is "mastered"?

She's definitely been fantastic. And yes, she's pretty much always first, with Arc close behind. It's so nice to know the order your characters will go in, because it's so much more beneficial for restoration.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting maian: Yeah, I have like, a level 96 thief. What happens when a job is "mastered"?

I believe you get some sort of ultimate weapon for the job and a job card from some Master Smith. Said Master Smith only appears if you've sent a certain number of letters to other people via Mog-Net and do some other things.

So yeah, we're gonna have to trade Friend Codes or something some day.

Posted by Shade

I want this game.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Feion: How did Eureka/CT work out?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Stinger: Feion: How did Eureka/CT work out?

Well, it's tough. You know how all the cool equip is guarded by sub-bosses? Yeah, after I get each piece, I have to leave the place and go to an Inn and then return to finish the venture. I wish they would've added save points and a tent system like the one in FF4.

My Thief is still Uberish. I've got a Black Belt now and a Devout instead of a White Mage, but they're both low level so it almost seems not worth the change. At first, my Devout had ridiculously low MP levels, and I wasn't pleased, but within just a few job levels, my Devout has surpassed my white mage's MP totals. It's weird that a level 15 Devout has more MP than a level 68 White Mage. And My Black Belt is rapidly catching up, too. I'm used to FF1 where you leave your Black Belt/Master barehanded. In FF1, the class "Master" (upgraded Black Belt) seems to do WAYYYY more damage with just his hands. But in this game, it's not quite like that. So when I got the Black Belt job class available, I had no claws for him. And if you only give him one claw, it actually lowers his attack power. Fortunately, I had put a good claw with the Fat Chocobo and I found another good claw in Eureka, so I was all set. I haven't picked up Excalibur and Ragnarok yet, but I'm getting there. Once I do, my Knight will be all kinds of awesome.

I'm keeping my Thief as a Thief because he does wild amounts of damage, and his agility is so high that he is practically guaranteed to go first each turn, which is helpful if you have to heal someone.

I know that my Knight will be even more buff than my Thief when he reaches level 99 in his job. But the problem is that my Thief just got to 99 in the Ancient's Maze, and I've had him as a Thief through the whole game. It took a while to gain those job levels.

I gotta ask, though. What makes you gain a job level? I know that exp is what determines a regular level, but is job level based on number of fights?

Anyway, my party of Knight, Black Belt, Thief and Devout is pretty awesome. Black Magic has totally gone obsolete, so I won't be making a Magus. I wanted to make a Summoner, but I couldn't think of which class I'd give up to make a Summoner, so I don't think I will this time. Maybe next play-thru.

Oh, what I wouldn't give for a shop that sells Phoenix Downs. When my Devout dies, I usually just use an Ottershroom and go to a revivification spring because I don't want to use my Phoenix Downs. Although I'm getting close to the end of the game, and I don't know what I'd be saving them for.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]I gotta ask, though. What makes you gain a job level? I know that exp is what determines a regular level, but is job level based on number of fights?

You gain job levels by taking actions in battles. If your job level is lower than 14, then you need to take 5 actions to level it up. Once you hit 14, the number of actions depends on the job.

I beat the game. Next playthrough I'm gonna try and fill out the Bestiary and get Onion Knights and stuff, but I needs wi-fi and FCs. ;_;

Posted by cool gamer dad

The last dungeon scared me to death.

Spoiler (I guess): [spoiler]I thought I was going to lose a lot of progress. :/[/spoiler]

Posted by Shade

Is there any way to revive a dead party member without using a pheonix down?

Posted by Zeta

Find a healing spring.

Posted by Shade

Like the one in that tutorial dungeon?

Posted by Zeta

Yes. There's usually one in a town. It gets its own house.

Posted by Shade

What the heck... when does my theif get awesome like you guys said. 'Cause I just got the Enterprise and he's doing like 10 damage. =\

Posted by Zeta

Like, Job Level 70+.

And knowing you, you probably stuck your Thief in the back row w/ short range weapons. ****ing dumbass.

Posted by Shade

Two Mithril knives. :(

Posted by Colonel

mmm FF3=Gooood

Posted by Proto Man

I finally got a second router set up just for my DS! So if anyone wants to message me, my friend code for this game is 515490563959.

Posted by Drewboy64

I like the game, but there's not enough interesting story. Not yet, at least.

Posted by cool gamer dad

It sucks all the way through.

Posted by Shade

So does your mom.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Red]Red agrees: never played, but your probably wrong, very wrong.
I'd be right, very right. The story is ****.

Posted by Shade

It's still fun.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yes it is.

Posted by DeathScape

I got it on December 25, 2006. I played it for about fifteen hours and then quit. It just seemed to get old rather quickly. It felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again. Also, most of the time, you don't need that much strategy to win any sort of battle. I actually really liked that video game, and it proved that not all RPGs need a good storyline to be superb, but I still probably won't play it for awhile. I might beat it. I don't know.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting DeathScape: I got it on December 25, 2006. I played it for about fifteen hours and then quit. It just seemed to get old rather quickly. It felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again.
I can see how you'd get that feeling. The most exciting thing for me was when I'd unlock a new set of jobs.

[quote]Also, most of the time, you don't need that much strategy to win any sort of battle.
I take it you didn't fight the guy in Saronia Castle, I think called Garuda. Or even Hein, for that matter.

[quote]I actually really liked that video game, and it proved that not all RPGs need a good storyline to be superb, but I still probably won't play it for awhile. I might beat it. I don't know.

Heh, you should play the original NES version. That one has prettymuch no storyline, but it's still super fun because of the way you interact.

I actually liked the NES version better, but that's typical of me.