Scrubs

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I actually had never seen this show till it started airing on Comedy Central on weeknights. After seeing several episodes, I've figured out that this may be my favorite TV show.

It has a full set of characters, and every now and then they'll add another one. It reminds me of the Simpsons in that sense, you know, having a whole lot of recurring characters. And each character has their own little quirk that seems to be more and more pronounced as the series moves forward.

I don't know how faithfully it depicts being a resident doctor at a hospital, but it makes for great comedy.

A terrific and funny guy named Zach Braff plays Dr. John 'J.D.' Dorian, the main character on the show. Each episode centers around Dr. Dorian and he even internally narrates the show. The title of every episode begins with the word "My" (as in, "My Mentor", "My First Day", etc...) which sense because the show is really told from the point of view of Braff's character.

Sarah Chalke, who played "Becky" on Roseanne stars in the show as Dr. Elliot Reed. And she has totally grown up. She is really beautiful these days.

Other names on the show include Heather Graham, who is seen in several episodes portraying a psychologist who is really good at her job. John C. McGinely (one of the Bobs from "Officespace") appears in virtually every episode as Dr. Perry Cox, the saracstic and studied doctor who comes off as a jerk, but really is an okay guy.

Tara Reid has been in a handful of episodes, not as a doctor, but as Dr. Dorian's love interest for a little while. Even Rick Schroder of "Silver Spoons" fame has made several appearences on the show.

Probably the most shocking celebrity appearance was that of a character only brought in for two episodes, that I know of. Michael J. Fox plays a doctor who is good at taking care of his patients, but also suffers from acute OCD himself, and because of that, he is usually moving his hands or messing with something.

Drawing another parallel between "Scrubs" and "The Simpsons", I think that people usually know which non-main characters they like best. For the Simpsons, many would say Comic Book Guy, Flanders, Otto, Moe or another character as their personal favorite.

With Scrubs, my favorite is easily the Janitor. I don't believe he's ever actually given a name, but the character adds a whole new level to the show, even without having a name. He's very quick-witted and often wise.

So, if you haven't watched it yet, I recommend you tune in the next time you see it on and have nothing else to do for a while. It's a great show.

And if you have watched it, what do you think of it?

Posted by Kit

I only started watching it recently too. It was on Paramount, so I just watched it and it made me laugh, so I've been watching more when possible. I watched two episodes today, And enjoyed them. The random events* that happen, mixed with the good plot, and good characters made it appeal a lot to me.

*(Spoiler)Random as in: [spoiler]In today's episode, JD was thinking about relationships, and walking past things that happens as he tells it (Giving Birth, Living your lives together..) and he says "..then I started to think of the circus" as he walked past a clown juggling in a hospital bed. And he was talking to "Turk" and he says "Turk, start acting like a real husband and not as a...cowboy", Turk asks why Cowboy, and JD says "I dunno, it just came to me" As a cowboy walks past. It just made me laugh.[/spoiler]

I want to watch this a lot more than I currently do anyway. It's interesting and funny.

Posted by Crazy K

I started watching it when it first aired on NBC, but then I just fell out of it. I'm starting to watch the ones airing on Comedy Central, and I may try to watch the seasons I missed.

Posted by Arwon

This is one of those shows which, if you don't like it, it proves you have a bad sense of humour.

Posted by Bebop

I'm starting to get sick of the Seasme Street morals at the end of each episode.

Posted by Killer Jordo

I have all the seasons that are out on DVD and I watch them religiously. I love this show, it's hilarious, but still has some drama too make it not 'a stupid, do whatever it takes to get a giggle' type of show.

Posted by Arwon

It's a dramedy. They're the new 'in' thing. They lack laugh tracks, they have stories that continue from episode to episode.

Posted by Bebop

Dramedys are not new....

Posted by Fei-on Castor

They're not new, but their success is a recent thing. They've always been there, but never centerstage until recently.

It's weird because I haven't liked a network TV show in a long time. I've stopped watching network TV because it's almost all reality shows anymore. And the scripted shows that do air on Network TV are usually not any good. I'm shocked that Scrubs is anywhere near as good as it is. I've heard that "My Name is Earl" is really good, too, but I've never watched it. I love Jason Lee, so I'd probably like that show. I'll have to catch it sometime.

Honestly, Scrubs is the best show on TV, I think. I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but I am so glad I decided to watch this show. Every character is quite deep, having more to them than you'd guess by watching only one or two episodes. Like, I thought at first that Dr. Cox was a jerk, as I'm sure many others did. But he's actually a really good guy. He just's really practical and straightforward about everything.

Yeah, I love this show.

Posted by Sean Fury

I only recently started getting into Scrubs because one of my friends convinced me it was the greatest show on Earth and since she never stops talking about it, I just figured I'd watch it so I would know what/who the Hell she was talking about it.

It is pretty hilarious though.