Best Drummer

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

i would have to say Tool's Danny Carey, for his shear insane talent.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I will be the first to say it, and I will have many agrees or disagrees behind me. But I speak truth that cannot be messed with:

Mike Portnoy is the best drummer on the face of the earth.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I think Lars Ulrich is pretty friggin good.

Fei-on

Posted by Richaod

Mike Portnoy is quite easily at the top.

I'd probably then say Travis Barker of blink-182, then Daniel Svensson of In Flames. I kind of like Silverchair's Ben Gillies, but his style is so infuriatingly consistent (the fourth-bar solos never stop) that I can't appreciate him too much. That and the fact that he played half a concert in his underwear. :(

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Richaod]That and the fact that he played half a concert in his underwear.
That reminds me too much of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Posted by Crazy Canuck

I'll have to say Travis Barker at #1, Jimmy Degrasso at #2, Carter Beauford at #3 and Joey Jordison at #4.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I think Lars Ulrich is pretty friggin good.

Fei-on

He has very quick feet, really. I've been playing drums for 11 months and it only took me a few days to work out Master of Puppets, as best as I could with only one bass drum. Look at the tabs for Fight Fire With Fire, there's tons of bass drum triplets in succesion.

But yeah, Mike Portnoy.

Posted by Altinure

I think Neal Perth (spelling?) is the best drummer ever. His ten minute long drum solos are so awesome.

Posted by Klarth

ed warby and mike portnoy are both pretty impressive.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

Mike Portnoy and Tommy Helgesson ("Snowy Shaw") are pretty **** good.

Posted by Ch

I think Mitch Mitchell is a great drummer. If you want, listen to his drumming in Crosstown Traffic by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Posted by TheSecondComing

...Mike Portnoy?

Keith Moon from the Who would be the drummer for me. Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins and Dave Grohl from Nirvana are both awesome heavy pounders. Steve Drozd (sp?) from the Flaming Lips is great as well.

The drummer playing for Santana at Woodstock was good as well, but I've only seen that one song so maybe he just fluked it.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Vinnie Colaita, Mike Portnoy and Neil Peart

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Mike Portnoy is the best drummer on the face of the earth.

Yup. And I also think Nicholas Barber is pretty **** good.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Altinure: I think Neal Perth (spelling?) is the best drummer ever. His ten minute long drum solos are so awesome.

I've heard his name mentioned a few times but I haven't had the opportunity to hear him yet.

My favorite drummers are:
Danny Carey (Tool) the stuff this guy accomplishes is amazing, Martin Lopez (Opeth, ex-Amon Amarth), the guy from Krisiun, Fenriz (Darkthrone) for his skill and input on the band and influence on the genre for that matter, Nick Barker (Old Man's Child, a bunch of others), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), and Vvornth (ex-Bathory). I also got Nokturnal Mortum's Goat Horns today and I'm enjoying their drumming work quite a bit.

Posted by Philsdad

Hellhammer from Mayhem, Arcturus, Kovenent, Winds (and every other Norwegian band)
Ed Warby from Ayreon
The dude from Krisiun
The guy from Marduk
Lee Smith from Estradasphere
Dave Murray of Deserts Of Traun

Posted by rivercitytecmo

it's joe daniels for me.

Posted by Gollum

First place goes to Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater.
A close second place goes to Gene Hoglan of Strapping Young Lad.