Sony Fans Beatned, robbed, and Shot in line for PS3

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post:

1 Shot in Conn. Amid PlayStation Mayhem

By STEVE FEICA
The Associated Press
Friday, November 17, 2006; 3:53 PM

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Two armed thugs tried to rob a line of people waiting for the new PlayStation 3 game system to go on sale in Putnam early Friday and shot one man who refused to give up his money, authorities said.

About 30 miles away, another shopper was beaten and robbed of his new PlayStation 3 just minutes after he bought it at a store in Manchester, police said.

Nationwide, short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to long lines of buyers, some waiting for days outside stores. Once the doors opened Friday, they pushed and shoved their way to the shelves in several cities to get at the limited supply. Two people were arrested in Fresno, Calif., after a crowd trampled people in a parking lot.

The attacks and robberies in Connecticut appeared to be the most violent.

It was about 3 a.m. when the two gunmen in Putnam, a town of about 9,000 residents in northeast Connecticut, confronted 15 to 20 people standing outside a Wal-Mart store and demanded money, said State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance.

"One of the patrons resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

Vance said the two gunmen fled after shooting Michael Penkala, 21, of Webster, Mass., in the chest and shoulder. Penkala was in stable condition at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, Mass., with injuries not believed to be life threatening, Vance said.

Police were searching for the suspects, both believed to be in their teens, Vance said. He said one was wearing a ski mask and brandishing a handgun, and the other had what appeared to be a shotgun.

In the Manchester attack, the shopper told police five men surrounded and beat him as he left the Shoppes at Buckland Hills with the new PlayStation.

Police Sgt. Chris Davis said the alleged attackers pushed one of colleagues out of the car as they drove away. That man, a 17-year-old from Windsor, was charged with robbery, larceny, assault and breach of peace. His name was not released.

A Pennsylvania teenager was also robbed of his new PlayStation by a man who tapped on his car window with a handgun in Allentown, police said.

In Lexington, Ky., someone fired BB pellets from a passing vehicle at people waiting outside a Best Buy store, according to WKYT, whose own reporter said she was among four people grazed while she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart about the big sale _ its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home until the store opened.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/17/AR2006111700325.html

Its sad to see things like this, it makes gaming lose some of its innocents . I know riots and fights have happened before but for me it has crossed the line.

I have a feeling that the fact that one of these can get you a cool grand right now and probably even more when christmas comes is the reason.

(posted in general gaming cuz I guess the PS3 isnt a futur council.)

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, people can be insanely stupid. I'll wait in line for a Wii or whatever, but I won't fight for one or anything like that.

Posted by Bebop

Both sad and hilarious.

Posted by Zeta

Has Jack started ranting yet? This really seems like something he'd try to use to prove his point.

Posted by Echo

I read an article on Fark that said that at one place they only got 10 PS3s while there were 50 people in line, so the manager decided it was a good idea to just set down 10 chairs in one area and gather everyone else in another. Once he gave the signal, the 10 people to get a chair got a PS3. At least one guy ran into a pole and went to the hospital.

Posted by Moogs

Wow, and so many people were disappointed to get a 360, but no one went psycho b/c of it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE SONY? YOU KILLED A MAN. lol

I like how the difference between American and Canada is in America people get shot. In Canada, namely Toronto, we pay homeless people to stand in line for us.

Posted by Ant

;I can't say I'm surprised. The PS3 is bound to pull in a lot of people, and a lot of "casual" gamers too! ;)

Also, In Soviet Russia, PS3 waits in line for you!

Posted by Arczu

I think this is just insane. I mean, seriously, people are now trying to rob others of a new console.

I knew there were some crazy people out there, but this is just ridiculous.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm going to laugh my *** off when people realise how much better the Wii is.

Posted by Zeta

Microsofts decided to make a game based off of the PS3 launch.

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/7922/ps3launchonlyonxbox360ls1.jpg

Posted by Arcadios

My cuz got a PS3 from Target.
It's right on my bed but....nothing.

Posted by Zeta

Get it out of your room. Lord knows when it'll explode.

Posted by Arcadios

It's a 20GB.
It was the only one left, he says.

Posted by Crazy K

I been hearing about this on the news lately. The only notable thing that occured up here, was some douche bag who ran into a poll in the process of getting the PS3. I just can't wait to see the look on my friends face when Sony fails this time around.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Arcadios: It's a 20GB.
It was the only one left, he says.

The 20GB ones have a larger blast radius. Ken's train of thought was "If they don't by our more expensive model, then we might as well give them a smaller chance to survive."

Posted by Arcadios

It's outta the vicinity at the moment.
My cuz said he's just gonna sell it on eBay.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

That's nothin'. Apparently the night manager of the Wal-Mart in Kenosh, Wi. here decided it would be a fun game to set up 10 chairs for the 10 ps3s that his store received for sale, and then shout "The first 10 people to sit in these chairs get to purchase the ps3!" into a croud of over 100 people. Injuries. Injuries were sustained. Upon hearing this story, I laughed uproariously. It would have been a fun, happy time for all if everyone in that croud had been an innocent 6-year-old...but, no. There were people large and small who were stampled in the ensuing chaos.

Posted by Zeta

Should've used their heads and just did a ******* raffle.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yeah. That would have been smart, Zeta. That's why this guy wasn't the day manager, I'm thinking.

Posted by Linkman

[quote]It was about 3 a.m. when the two gunmen in Putnam, a town of about 9,000 residents in northeast Connecticut, confronted 15 to 20 people standing outside a Wal-Mart store and demanded money, said State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance.

I live in Connecticut, like 15 minutes from the town of Putnam. The local news yesterday morning was almost entirely devoted to this PS3 crap. It was just...sad. What makes it even sadder is the guy from Putnam, Connecticut didn't even want the damn thing. He wanted, like a great deal of others, to pawn it off on EBay.

I'm surprised there isn't something on the Best Buy in this state. They didn't allow lining up outside. In the morning, at 5 AM, when they opened, like 500 or so people swarmed the door, actually pinning and injuring a couple of people (not badly though).

I was actually listening to a radio program where they were asking people waiting in line at different stores why they were buying it. Around 80% said they didn't even want it, they were selling it on EBay for a profit.

Then hundreds in the state alone got returned because they didn't work, or overheated, or something. It was just one big pathetic mess. I lol'd

Way to go Sony.

Posted by mis0

This is just insane. I personally, would likely never wait in line, in the cold, for two or three days for a console (people were lining up on Wednesday here) and it's just nuts. I'd wait a few weeks and then get one. BUT, if for some reason I had to have one, I'd take a few buddies, and maybe firearm. I'm not dying over a Playstaion or Nintendo.

Posted by GameMiestro

Advantage to living in Maryland- nobody plays video games here. I could probably walk in a nearby EBGames right now and pick up a PS3 without having to even wait in line. Unfortunately, I don't have $600 to spend at the moment... :(

Posted by Unite

Wow i'm shocked by how some people respond here. Actually showing concern for ps3 buyers? I clicked on this thread expecting cheers and laughter.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Red Bluff wasn't bad at all. Nobody lined up anywhere. The local Wal-Mart had a dozen, they still had 3 left when I checked today. The GameStop got seven, and they sold out today. I don't understand why people line up for these things when they first come out, when they should know that the first three shipments are almost always extremely flawed.

Posted by Slade

Best Buy definitely had the right idea. Last night we came up with a couple alternate ways to make it more interesting. Too bad it's over already.

-Hide the PS3s all over in the store, then when the doors open say, "Well, they're in there somewhere."
-When the store opens say, "There are ten PS3s hidden in cars in this parking lot. Here's a crowbar."

Some of the other crazy ideas, like having people race across the parking lot, were actually used, so whatevs.

Posted by Linko_16

This is what Sony was after all along, I think. Overly high-tech capabilities + jacked up prices + artifical shortage + major hype = people killing each other to get one = "Golly gee, people sure are going crazy over that PEE ES THREE."

Posted by Angerion the Brave

You right on there Linko. Sony steals almost every idea that worked in the past for another company: Rumble Feature, the basis of their original controler, the Playstation itself (if you know PS's origins, than you know what mean) and now, they're stealing Microsofts Hard Drive concept and "lie through the teeth about your console" approach to making sales and doing it poorly at that

Quoting Zeta: Microsofts decided to make a game based off of the PS3 launch.

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/7922/ps3launchonlyonxbox360ls1.jpg

Oh my ***, that acctually made me laugh. Normally stuff like that doesn't, but this time it hit the spot.:-D

Quoted post: You right on there Linko. Sony steals almost every idea that worked in the past for another company: Rumble Feature, the basis of their original controler, the Playstation itself (if you know PS's origins, than you know what mean) and now, they're stealing Microsofts Hard Drive concept and "lie through the teeth about your console" approach to making sales and doing it poorly at that

Christ, shut up. Your fanboyism is just embarrassing to read.

If Sony acctually weren't doing it, than maybe I wouldn't gripe about them so much.

I'm just not very happy with Sony at the moment, and I'm definitely sticking to my PS2 until PS3 either becomes something special or goes under.

And how am I a fanboy? Where did I say: "OMG! Sony and Mikrosoft are teh devil! Nintendo is the only company that deserves to make games!". You obviously must have missed all the Nintendo bashing I did of the Wii when it was first announced.

I don't even know who you are. I just read two consecutive posts of yours and both were written matter-of-factly when stating pure opinions and easily summed up as: "LALALALALA Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo NOT LISTENING."

Then again I don't really care. Just pointing something out.

Good for you, *hands VVE a cookie and sends him on his way*

I think what we can definitely all agree on is that there are whole lot of people out there who are flippin crazy.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Angerion the Brave: You right on there Linko. Sony steals almost every idea that worked in the past for another company: Rumble Feature, the basis of their original controler, the Playstation itself (if you know PS's origins, than you know what mean) and now, they're stealing Microsofts Hard Drive concept and "lie through the teeth about your console" approach to making sales and doing it poorly at that

They didn't steal the playstation, idiot. They were to create a CD based add on console to the SNES, but due to the contract giving the majority control over things, the plan was cancelled.

And stealing a hard drive concept? yeah, because I forgot the 360 is the only machine today with a hard drive. No other things we use have hard drives. So sony is clearly stealing that solely from Microsoft in that sense.