Reading about Germany.

Posted by Raptor

I was reading about Germany in an article of the Sunday edition of the local newspaper written by Mary McNamara, and a few things in particular caught my eye that convinced me even further that this country could be my paradise:

-The landscape is as green and pastoral as Ireland with, at least in the areas we visited, castles everywhere you look.
-Likewise, the landscape is dotted with vineyards, Roman ruins and medieval cities just like in Italy.
-The people, though not unfriendly, are reserved, which may seem at odds with their penchant for beer gardens and public nudity - it's legal here.
-The food is not for the faint of heart, relying on cured meats, cheeses, pork and a variety of tasty but heavy sauces.
-You may never again be able to settle for an American pretzel or even American bread.

From Koblenz we drove through the Moselle Valley to Trier. If we have one regret about our trip, it's that we didn't spend enough time in the Moselle Valley, which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Hills green with forests and steep vineyards cradle the twisting river. Castle ruins rise from the greenery like a Romanticist's dream as one charming town after another beckons with geranium-filled windows and shady cafes.

Many of them [German towns] have terrific public swimming pools. Although I hope my kids remember the various castles, parks, ruins, and trails we visited in Germany, I know they will remember the super-cool waterslide in Bruhl.

Heidelberg is, of course, wonderful and magical, with its lovely bridges, medieval streets and an old-world university feel. We took the funicular up to the Schloss, the Gothic-Renaissance fortress that looms over the red roofs in semi-ruined magnificence.

As beautiful as some of the scenery was that we had passed through, this pretty much defined "idyllic." Rolling green hills are populated by limpid-eyed cows whose bells seem to transport you to the winter-white Alps dazzling in the distance; spiky fir forests ring wide blue lakes; the spires of small-town churches rise into a cloud-fleeced blue sky. It was more like a painting than a place. So quiet. And such fresh air.

I may be gushing over Germany a lot in the future, long before I even get there.

Closer to home, feeling hot and bothered with the town congestion, and hot period, I decided to head up to the cool little town of Volcano today and walk around a little. It's a scenically pleasant and lovely little place to visit. I got [url=http://tranced.smugmug.com/gallery/2140414]some good pictures of the area[/url].

Posted by Stalolin

It sounds as though it'd be a splendid place to live. A bit more manmade than Hawaii with ruined castles and old world buildings. Doesn't sound like it'd be as mountainous as Hawaii, but it'd certainly have less tourist traps. That'd end up giving you a home away from most people (or at least I'd like to assume it would).

And as far as Volcano, I did travel round Crater Rim Drive in a tour bus, stopping at various locations. It's pretty interesting how nature has still grown through lava, like at the Thurston Lava Tube.

Posted by Raptor

I'm sure certain parts of Germany are just as mountainous, though Hawaii technically consists almost entirely of mountains.

I didn't even go into the actual park, since I didn't feel like blowing $10 on the entrance fee for a couple hour visit. But there is another road near the main entrance that meanders up the slopes of Mauna Loa, and it is quite a thrill to drive, both for the gorgeous scenery and the seemingly endless sharp hairpin turns.

Posted by mis0

I approve of Germany for slightly different reasons, namely the autobahn and the automotive culture they have. And I too may end up moving to Germany, to develop hydrogen-electric cars. I can already tell that I'd love Bavaria, except maybe the pollution. But the beautiful countryside, liberal culture, and proximity to other european paradises make it a great place to consider living.