PS3, A descent deal?

Posted by Cloudstud

I know there are the people out there (most of the people here) that just love to bash and hate on sony because they are sony but this seems to make quite a bit of sense to me. Getting a $840 system for only $600 seems like a great deal! Im not a Sony fanboy I just look at things from a even playing field. How could you say that a PS3 is overpriced when it costs $840 to make?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746482p1.html

Posted by s0ul

Because $600 is a lot of money. You're pretty stupid.

I had an analogy thought out about a blowjob from a beautiful virgin girl and anal rape from a big burly man but I'm sure you can all piece it together. (spoiler: it's about prices)

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

If Sony released a version of the PS3 that was bare bones, and you had to buy the hard drive and Blu-Ray player separately, and in total, those component parts added up to $600, I would have no problem with it. But the fact that in order to enjoy the console I have to stump up at least $500 is a large stumbling block. Compare that to the 360, which has a removable and expandable hard drive, an option not to get one, and a hi-def disc player add-on, which still works out cheaper than the core PS3, and I think that pretty much sums up why people are angry.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yes. Definitely a descent. Say hi to Lucifer.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: How could you say that a PS3 is overpriced when it costs $840 to make?

You're so stupid. Every console is sold at a loss originally, that doesn't automatically make it a good deal. Lord.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Cloudstud: I know there are the people out there (most of the people here) that just love to bash and hate on sony because they are sony but this seems to make quite a bit of sense to me. Getting a $840 system for only $600 seems like a great deal! Im not a Sony fanboy I just look at things from a even playing field. How could you say that a PS3 is overpriced when it costs $840 to make?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746482p1.html

Just say, there are three toaster companies.

Company one makes a toaster with slightly lower toasting power, but awesome features. Their executives are also awesome, so they sell lots of these at a profit. This is Nintendo.

Company Two makes a toaster which toasts really quick, but costs bit more. However, it's worth the extra cost to many people, so quite a lot of people buy it too. Unfortunately, they take a small loss. This is Microsoft.

COmpany Three makes a toaster which they claim is better than Company Two's toaster, but they've been known for massive hype before. Their executives are pretty f***ing retarded, so their toaster ends up costing twice as much as Company Two's, while having only marginally more toasting power. Also, it requires proprietary bread, which costs far more in the long run. It costs a lot, so the company has to take a huge loss, while thecustomers also have to pay a huge amount. This is Sony.

Obviously, Company Three's product is the worst deal.

It doesn't matter how much it costs to make. It just matters how well it can do it's job.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Cloudstud]How could you say that a PS3 is overpriced when it costs $840 to make?

Because it is not worth $600 dollars.

Posted by Random

Yeah the only way i'll buy a PS3 is when its $150 in a Used Bin at my local EB or Gamestop.

Posted by Unite

I will be buying one and wii plan to get 1-3 games for both systems all this year ^^.

Posted by GameMiestro

It's a decent deal because the hardware on the PS3 is a heck of a lot better than the XBox 360 and the Wii, plus, the online on the PS3 is free. Buying a PS3 is like buyinng a 60 inch plasma TV- sure, you may not need it, but it's still pretty awesome to have.

If you're going to start complaining about the PS3 being a bad deal, you might as well complain about the Wii, too. The DS Lite costs $100 less than it and is superior to it in virtually every way. You can't say that about the XBox 360 or the PS3...

Posted by avalanch

If you throw in all the new technology in the playstation 3. The BluRay & Cell chips alone, it's a good deal. Bam, you got your bluray player and next gen system in one! The 60 gig harddrive, they should've made it swappable, but with or without the harddrive, it's still a good buy for games & media.

Yeah, it's excellent value. If you actually want or care about absolutely everything in the box. If not you're paying for something you don't need or want. With other consoles you can choose to add that and if you don't want it, you aren't forced to buy it.

Posted by Cloudstud

Yes and that is my point. Im not saying its right for sony to make you purchase all the extras, but when you get down to it your getting hardware for $600 that actually costs $840. How can you argue that? Whether you want the extras or not is not the point.... (at least not for this thread) The point is that getting $240 off the hardware is a good deal. Most of you completely missed the point of the thread.

But everyone here is so set on bashing Sony its almost impossible to open a thread about anything Sony without it being completely put down.

Cost to make= $840
Cost to you = $600

Total Savings = $240

That is the point nothing else.

Posted by Opeth (clone)

if u buy a ps3 for $600 then your carzy or u want it really bad but i migh bet one after they go down to about $250-$300

Posted by MottaTheHutt

You're going to buy a PS3 after the eighth generation systems come out?

Posted by higbvuyb

So, Cloudstud, if Sony made a line of PS3s that were repeatedly punched by George Bush, and George charged $20000 dollars for each punch so the PS3 ended up costing Sony $20840, but they only charged you $1000, are you saying that's an awesome deal because it only costs you a fraction of the cost to Sony? Hell no.

Quoted post: If you throw in all the new technology in the playstation 3. The BluRay & Cell chips alone, it's a good deal. Bam, you got your bluray player and next gen system in one! The 60 gig harddrive, they should've made it swappable, but with or without the harddrive, it's still a good buy for games & media.

If you want a Cell chip just for the sake of having a Cell chip, it's a good deal. If you want a system that has a good performance/cost ratio, it's not a good deal. The Cell chip costs too much for an insignificant performance increase over the Xbox 360.

And the Blu-ray player? I bet Minidisc players were a bargain when they came out. Guess what? They flopped, and nobody releases anything on MDs. Just like Betamax. I bet you could get a Betamax player for a good price when it came out. Did anyone use them? No. Did anyone make videos fro them? No.

Posted by Pit

Quoting higbvuyb: So, Cloudstud, if Sony made a line of PS3s that were repeatedly punched by George Bush, and George charged $20000 dollars for each punch so the PS3 ended up costing Sony $20840, but they only charged you $1000, are you saying that's an awesome deal because it only costs you a fraction of the cost to Sony? Hell no.

You know, if you're going to say something, make it be valid and make sense.

Your argument is something different entirely. He's saying it's a good deal due to the actual console cost being cheaper than the manufacturing cost, stuff that's embedded in the console whether you want it or not that actually not add on to the price.

How does George Bush punching your playstation add capabilities that are actually valid? :rolleyes:

Posted by Poco

Quoting GameMiestro: If you're going to start complaining about the PS3 being a bad deal, you might as well complain about the Wii, too. The DS Lite costs $100 less than it and is superior to it in virtually every way. You can't say that about the XBox 360 or the PS3...

stop posting faggot.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Pit: Your argument is something different entirely. He's saying it's a good deal due to the actual console cost being cheaper than the manufacturing cost, stuff that's embedded in the console whether you want it or not that actually not add on to the price.
Getting George Bush to punch your console adds to the manufacturing costs, and produces dents in it, which you'd have to have, whether you like it or not.

[quote]How does George Bush punching your playstation add capabilities that are actually valid? :rolleyes:

It doesn't, just like using a Cell processor instead of something that works just as well and costs less (HEY WHATS AN XBOX 360????) and is proven to work doesn't add any valid capabilities.

It doesn't matter what it costs Sony to make. If they choose the wrong components for the job, and aren't efficient, [IMG]http://www.adjab.com/images/2005/04/burgerking_150.jpg[/IMG] to them. It's their own fault.

The Xbox 360 has all of the useful features of the PS3, and it's got a better controller. Yet, it's cheaper. WHat's better vaule?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Pit]You know, if you're going to say something, make it be valid and make sense.

Your argument is something different entirely. He's saying it's a good deal due to the actual console cost being cheaper than the manufacturing cost, stuff that's embedded in the console whether you want it or not that actually not add on to the price.

How does George Bush punching your playstation add capabilities that are actually valid? :rolleyes:

The point he's making is that PS3 contains expensive stuff which nobody wants which brings up the manufacturing cost in the first place. He's just adding something else that's expensive and unwanted as an example.

Cost to make = $840
Cost to you if you buy it = $600
Cost if you don't = $0.00

Total Savings = infinite.

That's the point. I can't believe you're arguing that spending money on somethign you don't want actually saves you money.

Posted by Unite

hmm after GameMiestro comments other day i expected he would get response like this.

Cloudstud best thing you can do is not listen to these guys. These are same people who told me long ago that mario sunshine is the best game ever made. Buy the system because you want, don't let these guys change your choice on the matter.

Posted by levus

It's a big rip-off

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Unite]hmm after GameMiestro comments other day i expected he would get response like this.

Cloudstud best thing you can do is not listen to these guys. These are same people who told me long ago that mario sunshine is the best game ever made. Buy the system because you want, don't let these guys change your choice on the matter.

No one on this forum told you Mario Sunshine is the best game ever made, GTFO.

Posted by Cloudstud

Im not buying the PS3 right off the bat because its too expensive for me. Its too expensive for most people which wasnt the point I was making. I agree with everyone that theres a lot of stuff included that may not be necessary that runs the price up. I also wish they didnt do that. Im just saying that for all the hardware you get its a good deal. Regardless of how you look at it.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Cloudstud: Im just saying that for all the hardware you get its a good deal. Regardless of how you look at it.

Well if you don't use the extra features then its a bad deal. Thats what we've been saying. Instead of offering them via upgrade like the 360 they pile them on weather you like it or not.

Look, if your going to use enough of the extras then its a good deal sure. But for those who don't, well, not so much.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Speedfreak: No one on this forum told you Mario Sunshine is the best game ever made, GTFO.

this coming from the guy who thought i was ultra ultima? You were so sure about that too weren't u?

Say if I went out today and bought a HD-DVD player. I don't have any HD-DVDs, and I don't plan to in the future. Is that a good deal if I only paid $800 for it, even though it cost $1200 to make?

Even though I don't have any plans to own any discs or use the machine in the future, doesn't mean I'm going to. But when I do want to have the functionality that the machine provides, I can get one - it'll be cheaper then, and even more value for money.

In case you need it hammering home any more, I'm going to go back to the previous point - make the PS3 a base unit, and have the Blu-Ray, hard drive, WiFi, everything, as an optional add-on to drive the price of the main unit down. Even if that means that all of them bought separately totals $600, then it's still a better deal than shoving everything into one machine. Because that way, the users can choose their machine's functionality. More people will be enticed to get one, and while the average selling price of a PS3 bundle will go down, Sony's profits will go up, because more people will be buying the machine.

tl;dr? Think again, go back, and actually think about it. It's obvious you've skipped over my posts in the past.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Wings: Say if I went out today and bought a HD-DVD player. I don't have any HD-DVDs, and I don't plan to in the future. Is that a good deal if I only paid $800 for it, even though it cost $1200 to make?

would you rather have it cost 800 to make and pay 1200 for it?

Quoting Wings:
In case you need it hammering home any more, I'm going to go back to the previous point - make the PS3 a base unit, and have the Blu-Ray, hard drive, WiFi, everything, as an optional add-on to drive the price of the main unit down. Even if that means that all of them bought separately totals $600, then it's still a better deal than shoving everything into one machine. Because that way, the users can choose their machine's functionality. More people will be enticed to get one, and while the average selling price of a PS3 bundle will go down, Sony's profits will go up, because more people will be buying the machine.

So if you bought a basic unit what would you get with it? a system that can't play any games?

Posted by Cloudstud

Ok then im sorry what I should have said is that its a good deal for the hardware and that alone. Not a good deal for all the consumers or the people buying it. I thought I made that clear before but i guess not. I guess even when I agree with everyone here they still find a way to argue....

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Unite: would you rather have it cost 800 to make and pay 1200 for it?

So if you bought a basic unit what would you get with it? a system that can't play any games?

You are so stupid, it's unreal. Look at all the PS3's functionality. If you think all that is for just playing games, than Sony and your parents have failed.

[quote]Ok then im sorry what I should have said is that its a good deal for the hardware and that alone. Not a good deal for all the consumers or the people buying it. I thought I made that clear before but i guess not. I guess even when I agree with everyone here they still find a way to argue....

So you're just trying to tell us that Sony is selling PS3's at a loss. HI WELCOME TO 2001 LOL

The base unit would have a DVD drive, and the games would be on DVDs. As I've said before, there is no need for Blu-Ray discs for games.

Posted by Speedfreak

This is just like the conversations my dad has with his girlfriend.

"Shoes aren't never a bargain IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BLOODY WEAR THEM".

Posted by Anti-Muffla

You guys are dumb that i even have to sum this up for you. Stop trying to bull-sh!t ur way out of it. PS3 has better graphics than xbox 360. framerate might not be as good, but the graphics r better. the automatic harddrive is amazing, theres no way in hell i want one of those things just sitting arround beside my ps3, i want it inside it, its just smart. if u would want an external one just to brign down the money originally, ur dumb, no game saves. second of all, the blu-ray. The games run on this. ps3 based games WILL use this, like Resistance has. its high quality compared to the dvd-drive that the 360 has. lemme spell it out for u, 50 gb...or 8.5gb??? which ones better. hmmm. i dont kno. im speaking for everyone, why buy a hd dvd drive to plug in externally to the 360 if u cant even play games with it, when u can have a bluray built in that accually plays games and plays the blu-ray movies. Im probably not gunna buy a blu-ray movie ever, but it is still amazin for the game. the xbox will have trouble if it wants to try to make games for the hd-dvd players that u can buy externally. ps3 is high quality. yea u might have to pay a little more money, but if u cant handle it get a 360. but u'll be missing out on the blu-ray and six-axis. might not matter to u, but to some people it does. lastly, whoever sed "every console loses money at the beginning" obviously hasnt done their research. 360 gained money from their first 360 sold. dont bash ps3 when the 360 fans r the ones getting ripped off.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Anti-Muffla]You guys are dumb that i even have to sum this up for you. Stop trying to bull-sh!t ur way out of it. PS3 has better graphics than xbox 360. framerate might not be as good, but the graphics r better. the automatic harddrive is amazing, theres no way in hell i want one of those things just sitting arround beside my ps3, i want it inside it, its just smart. if u would want an external one just to brign down the money originally, ur dumb, no game saves. second of all, the blu-ray. The games run on this. ps3 based games WILL use this, like Resistance has. its high quality compared to the dvd-drive that the 360 has. lemme spell it out for u, 50 gb...or 8.5gb??? which ones better. hmmm. i dont kno. im speaking for everyone, why buy a hd dvd drive to plug in externally to the 360 if u cant even play games with it, when u can have a bluray built in that accually plays games and plays the blu-ray movies. Im probably not gunna buy a blu-ray movie ever, but it is still amazin for the game. the xbox will have trouble if it wants to try to make games for the hd-dvd players that u can buy externally. ps3 is high quality. yea u might have to pay a little more money, but if u cant handle it get a 360. but u'll be missing out on the blu-ray and six-axis. might not matter to u, but to some people it does. lastly, whoever sed "every console loses money at the beginning" obviously hasnt done their research. 360 gained money from their first 360 sold. dont bash ps3 when the 360 fans r the ones getting ripped off.

There isn't a single PS3 game that looks better than 360 games like Gears of War. Not one. In fact, games that have come out on both consoles not only look better on 360, but also run better and play better too.

PS3s GPU is nowhere near as good as 360s and it doesn't have as much RAM, it's physically impossible to have better graphics.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Anti-Muffla: things just sitting arround beside my ps3, i want it inside it, its just smart.

'Cause where the hard drive is really matters.

Quoting Anti-Muffla: if u would want an external one just to brign down the money originally, ur dumb, no game saves.

Yeah, good thing they make these nifty little devices called memory cards.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

u just wait, ps3 just launched. the games will get better. Mercanaries 2. MGS 4. they'll get better. But Gears of War is one of the games that r so good u can't really say anything beats it, its a great game, but ps3 will have some great ones also. good point with the RAM though, that is a downfall :-/. Also, the day of the memory card is done. they r so useless now when the game saves r going to be like hundreds of MB each.

And as the PS3 gets better, so will the 360.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I don't know, I mean the HD-DVD player is *gasp* external.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

yup so if the x box 360 gets better and the ps3, then we all win. wat r we argueing about. xbox will be a year ahead and ps3 will have some great games that use the blu-ray. we all win. awesome. the xbox 360 fans are happy and the ps3 fans r happy. both systems r worth the money. there u go.

Ugh.

Blu-Ray discs do not make the game better. Compression technology is evolving at pretty much the same rate that graphical techniques are - anything for the current length of games right now can fit on a standard dual-layer DVD just as well as on a BRD. The only company I can see using that much space is Squeenix, and then only for uncompressed FMV. There is no noticable advantage to having the drives in these machines.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Anti-Muffla]they r so useless now when the game saves r going to be like hundreds of MB each.

They aren't, they're not much bigger than game saves of last gen. The memory card is 16 times bigger, though.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by Unite

Quoting s0ul: You are so stupid, it's unreal. Look at all the PS3's functionality. If you think all that is for just playing games, than Sony and your parents have failed.

I know you don't need all that for gaming but you do need drive to read the disc. I didn't no what wing idea was, for basic ps3 unit.

Quoting wings:
The base unit would have a DVD drive, and the games would be on DVDs. As I've said before, there is no need for Blu-Ray discs for games.

hmm games would have to be compressed quite abit. Eternal darkness an example where signs of compression are quite visible.

Firstly, dubya tee eff. You need a Blu-ray drive to read a BDR, but you only need a DVD drive to read a DVD. Say you had a PS3 and all it had was an ethernet port and a removable dvd drive, with slots for adding a hard drive and a wireless card. You could buy the extras and it wouldn't necessarily cost any more than the whole system, but it'd be much better for the consumer. This is about the third time I've said this, ffs.

As to your second 'point', the data would be compressed quite a bit, but for the most part it's either lossless compression or such a minor loss that it's not noticeable. Also, Eternal Darkness is a bad choice of example - even if it was compressed to hell and back, which I doubt it was, it still could have fitted on the GCN's mini-DVD without having to do that.

And we haven't even touched on the advent of procedurally-generated content yet.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Wings: Firstly, dubya tee eff. You need a Blu-ray drive to read a BDR, but you only need a DVD drive to read a DVD.

I know that , when i made comment the first time i didn't realize you were suggesting that the games should be still on dvd.

Quoted post:
As to your second 'point', the data would be compressed quite a bit, but for the most part it's either lossless compression or such a minor loss that it's not noticeable. Also, Eternal Darkness is a bad choice of example - even if it was compressed to hell and back, which I doubt it was, it still could have fitted on the GCN's mini-DVD without having to do that.

What would you consider a good example of good compression if there is even one?

Oh I don't know. How about every game ever made.

Gears of War, idk

Posted by Unite

Quoting Wings: Oh I don't know. How about every game ever made.

I'm talking about a game in eternal darkness sistuation. If i recall correctly the game was 9 gigs and was compressed down to 3. Even compressing has it limits.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting GameMiestro: Buying a PS3 is like buyinng a 60 inch plasma TV- sure, you may not need it, but it's still pretty awesome to have.

This is what the problem is. By making it so @#$-@#$%ing expensive and creating an artificial shortage, it's getting to be like the same sort of thing as having a fancy car: yeah, you get it to use as a car, but now it's a sign of your status as paying a lot of money for something not everybody can get ahold of. Pretty smart move on Sony's part, since it makes the console more desirable, but it's bad news for us who just want to play some ***-@#$%ed games.

Posted by Ant

Is that your FINAL answer?

Posted by higbvuyb

Compression, eh?

This is a game: http://212.202.219.162/kkrieger
[IMG]http://kk.kema.at/files/gfx/full2.jpg[/IMG]
Guess how big the game is? Yep. 96 KILOBYTES.

And with the PS3: The cost/preformance ratio is much worse than teh XBox 360. Microsoft used recent, but cheap and proven technology in their console. WHich means they get PS3 - level power at a far cheaper price.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Quoting Speedfreak: They aren't, they're not much bigger than game saves of last gen. The memory card is 16 times bigger, though.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

from wat ive heard, the game save for Resistance is 300 MB... compared to about 1 from the last gen.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Quoting Wings: Ugh.

Blu-Ray discs do not make the game better. Compression technology is evolving at pretty much the same rate that graphical techniques are - anything for the current length of games right now can fit on a standard dual-layer DVD just as well as on a BRD. The only company I can see using that much space is Squeenix, and then only for uncompressed FMV. There is no noticable advantage to having the drives in these machines.

sure no argueing about compression technology becoming better, but more space means more multiplayer maps, which means for me, longer multiplayer playing time. it wont get as old as fast. it might not seem great to u, but for people like me it does. even if the compression gets better, having more space will allow for more.

Having more space will allow for more, but there is no way we need that much more and everything will fit on a DVD anyway.

higbvuyb - good try, but that's not compression, that's procedural generation at work.

Posted by Speedfreak

Take my word for it, man. You don't need 25GB to store games. Next-gen PC games are coming on DVDs, and they use even more space than PS3 games ever will.

Hig raises an interesting point, by the way. Game data can be slashed to fit on a DVD. Not with compression, but with procedural game assets with no loss of fidelity. Loading times still exist, of course. But instead of loading reams of data into RAM, you're bringing across a little code and creating it there. Xbox 360 also has a gigantic advantage here.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Wings: Having more space will allow for more, but there is no way we need that much more and everything will fit on a DVD anyway.

higbvuyb - good try, but that's not compression, that's procedural generation at work.

It's compression, if you bend the definition a little bit. Well, a lot.

Posted by sabre2922

for the technology included with the PS3 it is a slight bargain but for the average gamer it is definitely NOT.

Posted by Speedfreak

Just so everyone knows, expensive technology does not equal advanced technology. The Gamecube was cheaper to produce than PS2 was, not only at when they were both out but also comparing their respective launches and was about 3 times more powerful. Not only that, it also sucks less power than the slim PS2. Only an idiot would say PS2 is better value because it's more expensive to make.

Just because it costs Sony more money it doesn't mean you're getting a better deal. It's like saying expensive apples grown on a beach are better value than slightly cheaper apples grown in an orchard, just because the first stupid b[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]stard doesn't know a thing about growing fruit.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

...apples can't grow on a beach...

anyway, you are forgetting what this arguement is about. It's not whether the PS3 is a better deal than XBOX 360, because XBOX 360 wins that one. It's whether its a good deal in general. It's a good deal in general if you like the Blu-Ray being internal and if you plan on buying the games that are coming out for the PS3. If you don't like the games that are only for PS3, then don't buy it, unless you really like that Blu-Ray Player.

Posted by muffla

stupid just because i generally dont like you

anyways even if you are gonna buy it and not play games on it its a good deal bluray palyers are around 1000 bucks now

Quoted post: It's not whether the PS3 is a better deal than XBOX 360, because XBOX 360 wins that one.

No, see, they coincide. If the 360 is basically the same package and capable of many of the same things, yet, a better value, then wouldn't that make the PS3 a not so "descent" deal? Bringing the 360 into this is valid.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Anti-Muffla]...apples can't grow on a beach...

And Sony don't make decent hardware. Jesus, way to pick up on the analogy, retard.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting muffla: anyways even if u are gonna by it and not play games on it its a gud deal bluray palyers are aroud 1000 buck now

Well, you'd have to be pretty retarded to get a Blu-ray player or a PS3 now to play Blu-ray discs, because ignoring inefficient manufacturing processes, they're worth about $50 to $200, given that they would cost much more than DVD player to make, eventually.

It's not worth buying any new technology at all until a few years after. Especially Blu-ray players, just like it wasn't worth buying that Betamax player (Except to sell to fanboys on eBay) or that MiniDisc player.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

see you can't win with these guys muffla. u can't defend the ps3 for an instant without gettin a negative response out of someone.

Vampiro you must read on. It depends on what you are looking for that makes it a good deal or not. The Blu-Ray is useless if you dont want it, in the long run its the games that come out for the system itself that make it all worth it in the end.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Quoting muffla: stupid just because i generally dont like you

anyways even if you are gonna buy it and not play games on it its a good deal bluray palyers are around 1000 bucks now

I kind of made that point A LONGGGG time ago, but they seem to think its still a bad deal. probably because individually they dont care about blu-ray, but they arent thinking about poor old Cloudstud or the individual that is going to buy the ps3, what they want. If you want a blu-ray player, ps3 is a great deal. If you want the Wi-Fi internet. Its a good deal. If you want the games coming out only for ps3, then its a good deal. Otherwise if you dont want any of that stuff, then it might be a bad deal for you because you can just buy the 360. Thats if you are comparing it to the 360 to see whether it is a good deal or not.

Overall, not looking at the 360. Just looking at technology today, like blu-ray players, hard drives, wifi. The ps3 is an awesome deal. You get it for less than a blu-ray player alone. And Sony is losing money off each console.

Its a good deal for the product, whether or not you want to buy it for the still high price, is up to you. Not Speedfreak, not me, not Vampiro, not Muffla, nor any member of VG chat. just because we might want to buy or might not want to buy it, doesnt change the fact that it's still a good deal for what you get.

Quoted post: Vampiro you must read on. It depends on what you are looking for that makes it a good deal or not. The Blu-Ray is useless if you dont want it, in the long run its the games that come out for the system itself that make it all worth it in the end.

And the games are going to be near identical. Total exclusives are a thing of the past, so you can't even say "oh, well, it's going to have better games eventually" because chances are the two systems will be selling largely the same library. Give or take one or two titles. That, and the fact that multi-platform games are actually running a hell of a lot better on the 360 (what's up, CoD3?) pretty much makes the "what console has the better games" thing moot.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Anti-Muffla]see you can't win with these guys muffla. u can't defend the ps3 for an instant without gettin a negative response out of someone.

No, you can't defend PS3 without coming out with total crap. Any idiot that's been playing games for more than 5 years can see that PS3 isn't up to scratch. This isn't the same Sony that made PS1, it's not even the same Sony that made PS2. This console is a total cock-up by their standards.

Yeah, pretty much. Take a look around the rest of the internet or even the world outside of the internet. Pretty much everyone, even big press like the Times and New York Times are saying that it's not worth the cash. It's definitely not just the few people of VGC.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Yup u guys are right, yes the ps3 might be a load of crap, maybe sony made some mistakes when putting their hardware into the ps3, it would just make the ps3 a bad gaming system, but thats only a third, or half of what the ps3 is really about. It can play blu-ray movies, which is all one must buy it for to save 400 bucks. Also, games coming out ONLY for the ps3 in the next like 8 months. MGS 4, Devil May Cry 4, Warhawk, Resistance, Mercenaries 2, and Getaway 3 (im pretty sure this one isnt for the 360.) If you want these games, then you should consider ps3. The Wifi internet comes in handy for me because right now i have to run the cord all the way downstairs and through the kitchen to get to the router. Yea, this is the most expensive console ever, but ps3 is still worth it for the blu-ray and those awesome games coming out.

Call of Duty 3, come on, a launch game, one of the first titles ever made for the system. Of course its not going to be as good as the 360's. No one can use a cross console game to say a system is bad, until about 6 months from now. If they are still noticeably worst than the 360's, then i'll take your side on that.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's not helping when the majority of their buyers were skypers and techies using it as a cheap entry to blu-ray HD. I'd get the 360 and buy the add-on for an extra 100 bucks.

Quoted post: Yup u guys are right, yes the ps3 might be a load of crap, maybe sony made some mistakes when putting their hardware into the ps3, it would just make the ps3 a bad gaming system, but thats only a third, or half of what the ps3 is really about. It can play blu-ray movies, which is all one must buy it for to save 400 bucks. Also, games coming out ONLY for the ps3 in the next like 8 months. MGS 4, Devil May Cry 4, Warhawk, Resistance, Mercenaries 2, and Getaway 3 (im pretty sure this one isnt for the 360.) If you want these games, then you should consider ps3. The Wifi internet comes in handy for me because right now i have to run the cord all the way downstairs and through the kitchen to get to the router. Yea, this is the most expensive console ever, but ps3 is still worth it for the blu-ray and those awesome games coming out.

"Yeah, the console is garbage... but MAN THERE'S SO MUCH MORE TO IT... it's just a piece of ****." Wow, you're an idiot.

Anywho, Blu-Ray is far from proven. Chances are it's going to fail. So that's not really a huge factor. Those games you listed, including MGS4, have a fairly large chance of being timed exclusives. DMC4 especially, considering it's Capcom. Same with Mercenaries. I have a tough time believing that of all games will be a real exclusive. As for Resistance, well I think we all found out it wasn't the killer app we were promised. Getway lol. Ditto for Warhawk.

Oh, and you can get a wifi adapter for your 360. Not built in, but hey, it's not that expensive and solves that problem fairly well.

Also, just a fun fact, I plan on buying a PS3 within the next six months. No matter how many times I might bad-mouth it. :cookie:

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]Also, just a fun fact, I plan on buying a PS3 within the next six months. No matter how many times I might bad-mouth it. :cookie:

Ditto.. Even if the commercials make about as much sense as some of Stanley Kubrick's films. And it looks like the ugliest car-amp I've ever seen..

That's precisely the thing that annoys me most about the PS3. I know that whether it's in six months or a year after, I'll eventually end up owning one of the **** things.

Yeah, it makes me hate it more. Thus want it more...

Actually, if MGS4 is announced for the 360 I probably won't buy it. I'll just wait for my friend of sister to buy it then just use that.

Posted by Unite

You guys have strange way of doing things bad mouthing constantly a product you plan to buy. Seems ****ed up to me

I'm sure that by the time I do buy it there will be reason for me to like the system. It will have games that interest me, the promise of more in the future, it will be widely available, the online will work properly and any dodgy first-revision hardware problems will have been sorted out. It'll also be a lot cheaper preowned. It's just that right now I'm repulsed by the thought of laying down that amount of cash for that little substance.

Posted by Fate

I'm still confused as to why people have to hate the system just because they don't care for it.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Wings: I'm sure that by the time I do buy it there will be reason for me to like the system. It will have games that interest me, the promise of more in the future, it will be widely available, the online will work properly and any dodgy first-revision hardware problems will have been sorted out. It'll also be a lot cheaper preowned. It's just that right now I'm repulsed by the thought of laying down that amount of cash for that little substance.

I rather not see you own one, in my eyes you no longer have the right to own one.

Everything that's ever spilled out of your fingers onto the keyboard has been utter dross, Unite. Stop it.

And I don't hate the system. I'm appalled at Sony's gall in selling a piece of electronics equipment, half of which is hardly necessary, to people, when the games are sparse and the movies are overpriced. What's worth playing right now for PS3? Resistance and Motorstorm? For around the price of a decent second-hand '91 Civic.

I'm just not going to give them my money that easily. If Sony want me to pay for their system, it needs to become a system worth paying the money for. That's all I ask.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Wings: Everything that's ever spilled out of your fingers onto the keyboard has been utter dross, Unite. Stop it.

And I don't hate the system. I'm appalled at Sony's gall in selling a piece of electronics equipment, half of which is hardly necessary, to people, when the games are sparse and the movies are overpriced. What's worth playing right now for PS3? Resistance and Motorstorm? For around the price of a decent second-hand '91 Civic.

I'm just not going to give them my money that easily. If Sony want me to pay for their system, it needs to become a system worth paying the money for. That's all I ask.

I have never bought a product from a company i hate , just dosen't make sense. Blue ray movies sell at same price as dvd movies here in Canada about 20 Canadian here. Same with ps3 games they sell at same price as wii games. Xbox all 360 games also sell at the same price, a few sell at 40. So i have no idea of what you talking about over priced movies , really you should move to north america.

Did you have the same feeling towards nintendo when there opening lauch the for gc in Japan with 1 game?

Quoted post: dvd movies here in Canada about 20 Canadian here.

Where the hell do you buy your movies? DVDs still cost upwards of 28 dollars.

Quoted post:
Did you have the same feeling towards nintendo when there opening lauch the for gc in Japan with 1 game?

Wait, why exactly would he care about Japan? Plus, it's a lot easier to spend money on a console that you know will have games that you want and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the PS3's $700 (if you live in Canada.)

Anywho, games are games. I may not like what Sony is doing, and certainly I'm not the only one, but the price will eventually drop and it'll have games worth playing in the future. So whatever. Hopefully by then the product doesn't suck.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Where the hell do you buy your movies? DVDs still cost upwards of 28 dollars.

Wait, why exactly would he care about Japan? Plus, it's a lot easier to spend money on a console that you know will have games that you want and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the PS3's $700 (if you live in Canada.)

Anywho, games are games. I may not like what Sony is doing, and certainly I'm not the only one, but the price will eventually drop and it'll have games worth playing in the future. So whatever. Hopefully by then the product doesn't suck.

usually anime or foregien(sp) and rare dvd cost about 28

I guess he dosen't have to care about Japan , ok why should i give 2 ****s about europe then?

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Unite:

I guess he dosen't have to care about Japan , ok why should i give 2 ****s about europe then?

Jesus Christ, you're dumb. If the PS3 launches in Canada with Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, and a new Jak game, then yes, that's a legitimate question. Why would you care if Europe launches with only Crash Team Racing 2: Return of the Crash Team Racing?

Quoted post: usually anime or foregien(sp) and rare dvd cost about 28

Every new release costs around $25.

Quoted post:

You shouldn't. Why would you?

Posted by Larry The Great

That is a bargon, even it full price PS3 is worth every penny.

Posted by Pit

Bargon. Yes, yes. It is a bargon.

Posted by Kit

Quoting Larry The Great: That is a bargon, even it full price PS3 is worth every penny.

Care to elaborate?
Have you played one yet?

Spoilers: The PS3 is pretty much broken in it's current state. What a few months and the maybe I'll agree.

Posted by Fate

The only problem we had with our PS3 was the third electric prong on the plug. I guess once it was moved out of the way it became problem-free goodness. So, yeah, not broken. :)