Conscription

Posted by higbvuyb

So, what is your view on conscription and compulsory military service?

I'll post mine after people have replied.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I dont think it should be mandatory, but I think if you really loved your country you'd try to serve it in some way (though it doesnt have to be military).

Posted by Arwon

If it wasn't mandatory, then it wouldn't be conscription now would it?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Curse your insidious logic.

Posted by mis0

Mandatory service shouldn't be necessary if the war is one worth fighting.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'm for it. If your country needs you to fight a war--one that needs to be fought--then it should be your duty to protect it.

Posted by Raptor

I don't believe war is the answer, and I would never participate in one for any reason, so nay to conscription.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Lord of Spam]I dont think it should be mandatory, but I think if you really loved your country you'd try to serve it in some way (though it doesnt have to be military).
What if I don't love my country, just marginally prefer it over everywhere else?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Raptor: I don't believe war is the answer, and I would never participate in one for any reason, so nay to conscription.

this coming from the person who whacks off to nature. Guess what? things kill other things, and not just for food. Its natural; we're just better at it.

Get bent and stop being a hypocrite.

Wolves are vegetarians, *******. They don't kill stuff.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I'm for it. If your country needs you to fight a war--one that needs to be fought--then it should be your duty to protect it.

But if you're government is at war then surely is needs to be fought? Problem with that is that is relying on the government to decide what war is worth fighting. As far as history goes not everyone agrees with the wars their government fights.

Not everyone will agree, that's obvious. Those people will just have to suck it up or hop the boarder. But I have a feeling, if a draft is ever in place, it will actually be for a valid reason. Not something like Iraq or what have you.

Posted by Bebop

I'm not so sure. If countrys were prepared to go to Iraq under the threat of weapons of mass destruction then I'm sure that qualifies as a valid reason, what with it putting the world at risk, in the eyes of the governments. Problem is we wouldnt really know unless it actually happens. But I will say if I were president and thought going to Iraq was an issue of world safety and consriction was in place I personally would use it.

Posted by Arwon

Conscription belongs to the age of total societal mobilisation for wars, an era which due to the change nature of war has long since passed.

Posted by CynicalBastard

I've always considered conscription to be a violation of my rights. I'm pretty sure the government telling me I have to risk my life for my country would be a slight infringement on my right to life.

In addition, military personel who are fighting against their will are usually less efficient than those who fight willingly. I realize that every soldier is going to try to survive in battle, but some people are more adept at waging war than others, and all I'm saying is that those people are going to be more effective soldiers in general.

Add that to Bebop's point about the government possibly abusing the definition of what a "necessary" war is, and you've pretty much got my argument.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Lord of Spam: this coming from the person who whacks off to nature. Guess what? things kill other things, and not just for food. Its natural; we're just better at it.

Get bent and stop being a hypocrite.

Considering all their arrogance, humans should be above torturing, and killing for purposes other than fulfilling their basic needs. But of course, they're not. They have tools and a conscience, but they're still savage beasts underneath it all.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Then why the hell bother with all thsiu DUR IMMA WOLF faggotry.

Humans are animals. Bs about "embracing animal essences" or whatever is just retarded and redundant. Humans ARE animals.

though for the record, I;d say that the people that think humans arent animals need to watch more nature documentaries, then observe groups of humans interacting. There have been numerous times when I'd looked at groups and noticed behavior that I recognized from animals.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Lord of Spam: Then why the hell bother with all thsiu DUR IMMA WOLF faggotry.

See my website.

[quote]Humans are animals. Bs about "embracing animal essences" or whatever is just retarded and redundant. Humans ARE animals.

though for the record, I;d say that the people that think humans arent animals need to watch more nature documentaries, then observe groups of humans interacting. There have been numerous times when I'd looked at groups and noticed behavior that I recognized from animals.

Yeah, basically what I just said. But being better and more proficient at mass murder, torture, and inflicting terrible pain on others isn't necessarily a good thing. I would rather phrase it as, "not taking part in or condoning many of the things I hate most about humanity."

Posted by sniper

Only if the power to force military action isn't held by a single person, or small group of people, and could be kept by a group kept clear of partisan faggotry, it could be a good thing.

Posted by Sean Fury

Mandatory military service is a travesty. I would never go off and fight in a) something I think is stupid or b) to "defend" my country. Let's get one thing straight, when an army from another country marches into the USA and starts picking people off, THAN I'll be up in arms like anyone else, and sure I'll join the military if my actual life is in immediate, if not, soon-to-be danger. But if mandatory military service involves being sent to some foreign country to deal with bull**** that we shouldn't be dealing with in the first place (I'm not just talking about Iraq, I'm talking about all the wars in the past that have not involved or needed our involvement. Sure, we helped in WWII, but even if I was there, I wouldn't of given a ****). For every person not willing to join the army, there's probably four others who would jump at the chance to blow someone's head off for "the sake of the home country". Whatever. Not my problem, and even if it affected me in some aspect, I still wouldn't give a ****, because there's nothing on this Earth strong enough to get my lazy *** out of my house and listen to someone bark orders in my face everyday so I can be a good little soldier. End.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Sean Fury: because there's nothing on this Earth strong enough to get my lazy *** out of my house and listen to someone bark orders in my face everyday so I can be a good little soldier. End.

emo

Posted by higbvuyb

With the wolf thing: Wolves cannot be compared to humans in terms of 'killing' because humans are far more 'intelligent' (apparently), yet they are too stupid to control their animalistic instincts, etc. Very few first world humans don't need to kill/fight each other to survive, living in a civilised society, etc with laws, protection.
Wolves, however, live in the wild. In the wild, they could get killed. They often need to fight to survive, or eat. There's nothing wrong with hunting either, because they don't hunt other wolves - they hunt only for food. (unlike humans, who hunt for fun half the time)

Look at a wolf society, and then look at a human society, with all the retardation going around. People are supposed to be 'intelligent', yet they don't do much better than wolves.

Anyway, conscription is a foolish idea.
Most conscript armies are very low-grade - they often don't have very much training (especially when conscription starts during the war), people are often not psychologically suited to war, morale is usally low for involuntary armies, everything.
It also violates basic rights of a human.
It is also a form of age discrimination: older people often vote for conscription, safe in their knowledge that they will never have to go to war.

A referendum for conscription should be limited to the people who actually are eligible to be conscripted, and if it is voted for, the people who voted for it should always be conscripted first.

Also, though violence may be able to solve any situation, it cannot solve a situation well. In a level-of-benefit and a moral sense.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=higbvuyb]With the wolf thing: Wolves cannot be compared to humans in terms of 'killing' because humans are far more 'intelligent' (apparently), yet they are too stupid to control their animalistic instincts, etc. Very few first world humans don't need to kill/fight each other to survive, living in a civilised society, etc with laws, protection.
Wolves, however, live in the wild. In the wild, they could get killed. They often need to fight to survive, or eat. There's nothing wrong with hunting either, because they don't hunt other wolves - they hunt only for food. (unlike humans, who hunt for fun half the time)

Look at a wolf society, and then look at a human society, with all the retardation going around. People are supposed to be 'intelligent', yet they don't do much better than wolves.
When you compare species you have to compare them as an entire species. It's bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it to compare one wolf (pretty much identical to every other wolf) to one psychopathic human (not the norm) and reason that wolves are superior because they don't kill, maim or rape (you ever heard of a wolf dating?). The vast majority of humans have most of their instincts under control, certainly the ones that would cause a lot of damage.

When you consider humans total accomplishments we kick the crap out of every mammal on the planet. We've adapted to every single environment imaginable on this Earth, we've become the dominant species despite our dull senses, weak physical form, and lack of any special talents other then the ability to collect data.

What I don't get is why Raptor doesn't become a monk or something. They do nothing but good, go completely out of their way to avoid harming another living creature and strive to gain complete understanding of their body and mind through meditation and martial arts. Certainly a superior being compared to a primitive creature like a wolf.

EDIT: No, no. I'm quote sure psychopath does have a meaning.

[B]psy

Posted by Raptor

Primitive is good.

Posted by Lord of Spam

then so are the urges and behavior that goes with it, at which point your WAH HOOMANS R MEEN stuff is worthless.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Speedfreak: When you compare species you have to compare them as an entire species. It's bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it to compare one wolf (pretty much identical to every other wolf) to one psychopathic human (not the norm) and reason that wolves are superior because they don't kill, maim or rape (you ever heard of a wolf dating?). The vast majority of humans have most of their instincts under control, certainly the ones that would cause a lot of damage.
I never said wolves are better than humans. I just said that considering how much mroe intelligent we are than wolves, we can't say 'HEY THEY HUNT TO KILL THEY'RE EVIL LOL'. ALso, cosidering the intelligence gap, it's surprising how stupid people can get.

Quoted post: When you consider humans total accomplishments we kick the crap out of every mammal on the planet. We've adapted to every single environment imaginable on this Earth, we've become the dominant species despite our dull senses, weak physical form, and lack of any special talents other then the ability to collect data.

In human society, there are always peopel at teh forefromnt of accomplishment and contribution to the human race, however, most people are simply dead weight - sucking all they can from the rest, while making a minimum contribution.

[quote]
What I don't get is why Raptor doesn't become a monk or something. They do nothing but good, go completely out of their way to avoid harming another living creature and strive to gain complete understanding of their body and mind through meditation and martial arts. Certainly a superior being compared to a primitive creature like a wolf.

Primitive is not 'good', primitive is just an excuse to do things that are 'wrong' because you're too stupid and primitive to understand what you've done. It's okay for a wolf to kill another wolf, because they don't really have an ethical sense, just a few instincts. However, people who have no severe mental retardation and kill otehr peopel are worse than teh wolf.

Now, back on topic.

Way to **** this **** up with retarded topics about wolves typing on computers, you *******s.

Posted by nich

Conscription is not necessary thanks to a great advancement in military technology and the way wars are fought now.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Sean Fury: Mandatory military service is a travesty. I would never go off and fight in a) something I think is stupid or b) to "defend" my country. Let's get one thing straight, when an army from another country marches into the USA and starts picking people off, THAN I'll be up in arms like anyone else, and sure I'll join the military if my actual life is in immediate, if not, soon-to-be danger. But if mandatory military service involves being sent to some foreign country to deal with bull**** that we shouldn't be dealing with in the first place (I'm not just talking about Iraq, I'm talking about all the wars in the past that have not involved or needed our involvement. Sure, we helped in WWII, but even if I was there, I wouldn't of given a ****). For every person not willing to join the army, there's probably four others who would jump at the chance to blow someone's head off for "the sake of the home country". Whatever. Not my problem, and even if it affected me in some aspect, I still wouldn't give a ****, because there's nothing on this Earth strong enough to get my lazy *** out of my house and listen to someone bark orders in my face everyday so I can be a good little soldier. End.

Jesus, I love how you like to sound tough and badass, but you get blowjobs from 13 year olds and watch anime.

Conscription? Against it, totally, unless er get to the point where we are using mobile suits then i'd be like "hell yea :cool: "

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I honestly don't think it helps that much. If we're short on troops, forcing people to join when they don't want isn't the answer. You may have more men out there, but it doesn't mean much if they're just trying to avoid combat and not get killed until their term is up.

If you're in the military, you should want to be there. At times, we are low on troops, and I think we should offer incentives for enlisting.

The military isn't the only thing in short supply. A few years back in the public school district here in town, the board announced that they were understaffed a great deal for teachers. They offered great incentives for certified substitutes to teach a whole year. They also made it possible to issue single-year contracts to student-teachers. That whole year was filled with many teachers who would only be there for that year, but it was necessary based on the growing student body and the needs of the school.

Imagine if they had forced unfit people into such an important position as being a teacher.

Now imagine if they force someone into such an important position as entering an enemy country's borders.

You may feel that teaching a class is a lot different than fighting a war, but consider if the guys who found Saddam Hussein in a hole had been forcibly enlisted. I'd freak out if I ran into that guy. Even though he seemed defenseless at the time, who knows if maybe there were a whole bunch of Saddam's men waiting around someone like those guys to show up, so they could kill them and move Saddam to a different place.

A decision on the battlefield usually effects whether you personally live or die. But sometimes, a soldier is faced with a choice that can turn the battle around, either way. Having undedicated soldiers out there seems like it would only hurt our cause.

Apart from Iraq, we've had much worse enemies, even at times when the "Draft" was in place. A great deal of conscripted American soldiers died in Vietnam and Korea. Maybe because they weren't soldiers. Maybe because they were teachers, doctors, or any other profession besides soldier, and as such, they made lousy soldiers and ended up dying or failing at their goal.

It seems to me that a person who can make a career out of being in the military is a defined person. Even those who have a successful 3 or 4 year term, even those people possess a unique quality that makes them able to do well. Much like playing music, cooking meals, building houses, playing sports... Not everyone is cut out to be in the military. I know they have requirements for physical health to ensure that you don't go in there and die during basic, but even if you meet the physical requirements, you may be mentally unsuited for combat, or operations relating to it.

I've worried about the Draft coming back around, and my number getting pulled. I've been thinking I may join the military, but if I do, it's going to be when I want to. And it's going to be the branch I want to join (The Air Force).

Posted by Arwon

Funny thing is how well it seems to work in a bunch of European countries like Finland and Germany.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Because those countries have a different mindset, on the whole.

First of all, in a country like Israel, if you're a male and you're not retarded or handicapped, you know you're gonna serve. That's just how Israel is. So everyone grows up knowing that it is coming, eventually, and when it does, they've been aware of it their whole life.

In a country like America, military service has been on a voluntary basis, for the overwhelming majority of our history. It's become part of what supposedly dinstinguishes us from other countries.

To change that will result in an American population feeling like they've been stripped of a right held by Americans since the beginning of the USA. And while they may comply and show up at whatever Army base at Oh-eight hundred hours, they will be doing it half-heartedly, resenting the very institution for which they now work, resulting in a Military made of many soldiers who only showed up to avoid jailtime.

Posted by Arwon

Don't you guys still have to actually register for the draft, though? Shouldn't that be hinting to people that maybe, just maybe, they'll be called up?

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

It worked for America in the mid-1900s. If it happens again, something tells me that 90 percent of the tough-talkers will simply submit and fight, instead of the rebellion they oh-so-love to talk about.

Me? I think I'd fight. Honestly, I'm up for almost anything that will give me a story to tell my grandkids, good or bad.

Posted by Arwon

How would you feel about being conscripted into post-nuclear clean-up duty instead, since that's about as likely as a big enough conventional war to necessitate conscription. Of course that wouldn't be so much a draft as a press-ganging...

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

two points

1. Wolves are pussies.

2. Conscription will work and always has. It's not like it hasn't survived the test of time or anything.

Posted by specopssv44

**** conscription. Being A Marine is an honor, and a responsibiliy. I dont want anyone who doesnt want to live up to the standards set by the Marine Corps being forced into it. Also, I have to deal with enough borderline retarded people at work as is, and they WANT to be here.
Do you know how much new guys get ****ed with? Its done for a reason, but still, if we had new guys showing up that didnt wanna be here and had ****ty attitudes it would make everyones life more difficult cause wed have to break them.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting specopssv44: **** conscription. Being A Marine is an honor, and a responsibiliy.

So is not being a Marine!

Posted by Sable Wind

[quote=Poco]Jesus, I love how you like to sound tough and badass, but you get blowjobs from 13 year olds and watch anime.

lol i remember this one time it was like a day before his 17th birthday and he said he watched the ring movie online so he had me call him and he started crying saying he didn't wanna die

he's a puss

Quoted post:
and a responsibiliy

lol responsibiliy

But honestly, I don't like war. I don't think anybody does. However, in today's society, we will never be able to change how things must function. War is a necessity. Just as some animals will defend their territory, or fight to claim more, war is our rather large-scale way of doing the same. At least, that's how I view it.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting specopssv44: **** conscription. Being A Marine is an honor, and a responsibiliy. I dont want anyone who doesnt want to live up to the standards set by the Marine Corps being forced into it. Also, I have to deal with enough borderline retarded people at work as is, and they WANT to be here.
It's not like any conscripts would actually be put into the marines. Unelss they're people who just need a tiny bit more motivation to join the military.

[quote]Do you know how much new guys get ****ed with?

No, how?

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: 2. Conscription will work and always has. It's not like it hasn't survived the test of time or anything.

What, by 'Conscription has survived the test of time' you mean 'Every single conscript army throughout history has been **** and far inferior to a professional army soldier for soldier'?

[Quote=Sable Wind]War is a necessity.
No, it's not. If people behaved rationally and unselfishly, there would be no need for war. For example, if George Bush / Saddam had stopped acting like retards, then we wouldn't have had a war in the first place.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'd do it, but I'd make a **** poor soldier. THATS why conscription isnt the best alternative.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: It's not like any conscripts would actually be put into the marines. Unelss they're people who just need a tiny bit more motivation to join the military.

*** I hope not. Traditionally the Marine Corps has done everything in its power not to take conscripts of any sort. Although many Americans enlisted in the Marine Corps during WWII and Vietnam once they recieved draft notices for the Army, so thats ok I guess.

Quoted post: No, how?

Its horrible. You get put on every ****ty working detail they can think of. You get treated like **** by all the senior Marines until you prove to them that your not completly retarded and capable of squaring yourself away and not getting in trouble. When you first come to the fleet you get picked on for every ****ing little thing possible. You do a crappy job shaving, well guess what, now you get to shave with a rusty razor that someone found under their sink, no water and no shaving cream, in front of the whole platoon. Your room is ****ed up after field day, then you scrub your floor with a CLP brush all weekend, and when thats done you get to do everyone elses. You do something really stupid, then you get taken for a "run", and after you run 6 miles out into the middle of nowhere, they decide to make you build a castle, out of rocks in the bottom of a dry riverbed, then after you pile up about a million rocks someone will undobtley say "good job, now bring it back to the barracks", and so you run back and forth doing stupid **** like that until someone puts an end to it. Its hard to explain, I guess its just one of those things you have to experience.

Quoted post: lol responsibiliy

Yeah you know what that is right? Taking care of yourself and the people your in charge of. Knowing how to do your job, knowing how to lead etc etc... Maybe one day youll move out of your parents house and understand.

Quoted post: So is not being a Marine!

Raptor, I could easily do whatever it is you are required to do on a daily basis at school, or out in the park stalking small animals, or playing with stuffed animals or whatever weird **** that you occupy yourself with. You, on the other hand, I seriously doubt would be able to survive a day in my shoes... I dont blame you, I blame your gene pool.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting higbvuyb:

What, by 'Conscription has survived the test of time' you mean 'Every single conscript army throughout history has been **** and far inferior to a professional army soldier for soldier'?

you do realize that there has yet to be a major war where there WAS a professional army, right? Every major war in history has been made up of draftees. Use your ****ing head, I mean, what the hell? Do you honestly not know this or do I need to break it down for you?

Posted by Raptor

Quoting specopssv44:
You, on the other hand, I seriously doubt would be able to survive a day in my shoes...

They smell that bad, huh?

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting Lord of Spam: I'd do it, but I'd make a **** poor soldier. THATS why conscription isnt the best alternative.

You might THINK so... but what people think they would do and what people actually do will change a lot in times of crisis like that.

Posted by Sable Wind

[quote=specopssv44]
Yeah you know what that is right? Taking care of yourself and the people your in charge of. Knowing how to do your job, knowing how to lead etc etc... Maybe one day youll move out of your parents house and understand.

**** man, calm down. Wasn't knocking on you or anything, I was just picking out a typo that sounded funny to me. I actually support the troops--my boyfriend was going to join, unfortunately, he's nearly blind (at least legally blind in his left eye) so they wouldn't allow him.

Geez. <3

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: They smell that bad, huh?

Actually, yes, they do smell fairly bad. Ive walked more miles in any one pair of boots that I own, ( Which is 3), than you have ever walked in your miserable life.

Quoted post: **** man, calm down. Wasn't knocking on you or anything, I was just picking out a typo that sounded funny to me. I actually support the troops--my boyfriend was going to join, unfortunately, he's nearly blind (at least legally blind in his left eye) so they wouldn't allow him.

Geez. <3

Oh ****, my bad, apologies... sucks about your BF, but everything happens for a reason.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: you do realize that there has yet to be a major war where there WAS a professional army, right? Every major war in history has been made up of draftees. Use your ****ing head, I mean, what the hell? Do you honestly not know this or do I need to break it down for you?

That still doesn't address anything I said.

Anyway, large wars like WWI and WWII aren't likely to happen any time soon.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

your point was: What, by 'Conscription has survived the test of time' you mean 'Every single conscript army throughout history has been **** and far inferior to a professional army soldier for soldier'?

I'm pointing out to you that there has never been a major war where there was two, let alone ONE (hah, redundant) "professional" army, so your point is moot. It's like saying "every cyborg ninja hamster sent to a third world country has cured aids, so why don't we just send cyborg ninja hamsters to the Congo????" It's not exactly the whole truth, good sir.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: pointing out to you that there has never been a major war where there was two, let alone ONE (hah, redundant) "professional" army, so your point is moot. It's like saying "every cyborg ninja hamster sent to a third world country has cured aids, so why don't we just send cyborg ninja hamsters to the Congo????" It's not exactly the whole truth, good sir.

Your "lol wtf it dosnt count if its not a major war" argument is fundamentally flawed.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

WHY THE **** DO YOU NOT ELABORATE. I hate people who make statements and expect us to swallow them. We're not your boyfriend, (lolgayjoke)

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: WHY THE **** DO YOU NOT ELABORATE. I hate people who make statements and expect us to swallow them. We're not your boyfriend, (lolgayjoke)

I don't need to elaborate on 'JUST BECAUSE 62 MILLION PEOPLE DIDN'T DIE IN A WAR DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T COUNT', because it's kind of obvious what it means.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

fine. Name some "wars" in which both sides were professional armies. I'm tired of this.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: fine. Name some "wars" in which both sides were professional armies. I'm tired of this.

Again, both sides don't have to be professional armies. Especially since we're not comaring them between each other. That's about as stupid as 'Name a type of meat, it can't be from an animal' or something.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

you can't make a claim that conscription hasn't stood the test of time and then fail to make an example to back up your argument. In large wars in which conscription is necessary, it works. Yet you cannot give examples to prove contrary. Quit making demands of me and fucking put something on the ***damn table, dip****.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: you can't make a claim that conscription hasn't stood the test of time and then fail to make an example to back up your argument. In large wars in which conscription is necessary, it works. Yet you cannot give examples to prove contrary. Quit making demands of me and fucking put something on the ***damn table, dip****.

I didn't say that conscription didn't work. I said that conscripts were inferior to professional soldiers, i.e. conscription doesn't work as well.

Arguing against the wrong thing never won you an argument.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

ah, I see. I misread the first post apparently. But to call an army "****" just because it's conscripted is a bit overdoing it, imo

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: ah, I see. I misread the first post apparently. But to call an army "****" just because it's conscripted is a bit overdoing it, imo

Yeah, probably. But when weren't debates on the internet prone to exaggeration?

Sure, a professional army is better in relatively small wars, but when it comes to a big war, for example, World War II, you just don't have enough people, and maintaining a giant professional army would cost too much and be hard to recruit. However, these days, a war of that scale is highly unlikely.