Gauntlet

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I don't know if anybody remembers this game, but I had quite a lot of fun playing it.

The best is when you play in teams of 4. I usually take a mage. They aren't good in massive enemy attack, but their rock shower is pretty powerful. Their long range attack are useful when you play at more than 1 player, but then again...any type of fighter can throw at long range. -_-

I never made it through the game. Me and my friends got to the 3rd world, but that's about as far as we made it. We kept dying then. Maybe because we sucked lol.

My favorite boss was the first one, a dragon. It wasen't easy at first, but man! I love challenges.

We never discovered how to unlock new characters. It sucked, because we got quickly tired of the 4 types of characters we could use. We also tried to find all the stones for the middle room and we found them all for the 2 first worlds, but we couldn't find them in the 3rd. There were so many places to look up! Sometimes we'd find some (in the 1st or second world) by pure luck. We'd shoot anywhere are end up on a secret place :p:

Anyways it was fun. I didn't hear much of it from other gamers, but I enjoyed it. Not as much as zelda games or SSB, but it was fun. :)
[/COLOR]

Posted by Hyper

I preferred the PS1 Gauntlet, actually.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Lol. I never knew there was a gauntlet on the PS1...Seeing as I recently bough a PS1 mini, I'll see if I can find it in the old games section. Thanx.[/COLOR]

Posted by Hyper

It's actually a crappy game off of a PS1 disc with multiple games on it, I believe. I still loved it.

Posted by Arczu

Gauntlet? I keep thinking you guys are talking about Gauntlet Legends.

If the games are similar, I liked Legends a lot, and we even managed to get 4-player going on once, much fun.

Posted by NeXidala

It also seems to me like you are talking about Gauntlet Legends.

Posted by Hyper

The one I have wasn't 3D. It was full of really bright colors. I think it came on the same disc as Centipede, maybe.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Well I'm talking about the one for N64 in 3D.

You guys are right. It's Gauntlet legends. Sorry I forgot about that 2nd part of the title :)[/COLOR]

Posted by D.J Cat

I never did get to play this game but from what Ive seen in reviews and what not, it looked like a pretty fun game.
It would be great if you had 3 good friends who could co-operate and play skillfully.

Posted by Dexter

I have a pretty big history with the Gauntlet games. My sister and I spent days playing Gauntlet 2 for the NES. It was much better than the original. We can still play it today for hours. When Gauntlet Legends came out for the 64, we got it immediately. I think it was the only 64 game I got on opening day. That and maybe Perfect Dark. We got everything done in the game. Defeating it entirely, earning all the characters, etc. We played co-op with two of our friends and the four of us created something that we still talk about today. It's a shame that I don't have this game anymore. I think I let a friend borrow it right when I moved from Montana and I left it there with her. I should go on eBay and see if I can get myself another copy. It's been so long and I have three people living with me that I could co-op it with. That's a great idea.

There was another Gauntlet game that came out maybe a year ago for the regular Xbox that I got immediately, too. It was called Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. It was terrible. I don't suggest it. I was so excited for another Gauntlet game, but it was severely disappointing. But no matter how bad the game was, I still remember having a little fun with the friends I played it with. I wouldn't mind at all if they made another one. I wouldn't be surprised, either.

"Red Wizard needs food, badly"
"Blue Elf is about to die"
"ow"

EDIT: I think I might be thinking about Dark Legacy, not Seven Sorrows.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Nice chronicles Dexy. It is sad that you left this game behind. I discovered it by ranting it at a video store. Sad enough, I never bought it. Why? I'll probably never be able to answer that question really...but I do want to play this game again today.

I remember killing myself once on lvl 2 (must have been the first time I played) I destroyed a barrel and I took the food, but I died and I went "WTF???" and I started over, but this time it said "Poison food takes 50 HP".

Sometimes you're fighting and all the sudden, you hear "your archer is about to die" and then you run away, but there's no way at the moment to go back up and there are more monsters coming out of the doors. Hard times.[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

It was funny how they talked in Gauntlet 2 for the NES. If you ever get a chance to play it, you should. Actually, if you have an NES, I could send it to you for awhile so you can experience it and you can send it back when you're finished. The first Gauntlet game is difficult. I still haven't been able to beat it. Every time I play it it makes me want to play Gauntlet 2 instead.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I'm sure that sending thingy would be complicated. Although I'd like to try it :([/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

No, it would be no problem for me. I send things fairly often. It'll be fun! You can keep it until you beat it, which is after stage 100. After stage 100 it just loops itself over and over again and you don't want to fall into a never-ending adventure, although it might trick you into thinking you do. It's actually one of the few four-player NES games. Just PM me your address and I'll send it away. ^_^

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]that'd be great, yeah. It's weird. I haven't seen a SNES in ages. I thought it only had 2 spaces for controllers...I'll look forward to it. :)[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

Not a Super NES, it's the NES. It doesn't have four slots for controllers either, but you can buy an additional attachment that enables such a feature to be bestowed upon you and your friends. Very rare though.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Too rare. I can't go on Ebay and get them anyway. I'd stick with 2 players. [/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

It's probably better with two players. 4 players is fun, but that means less items for your guys and there's a greater chance of your team getting stuck in a level and it's difficult to get everyone to move in the right direction. Someone is going to be greedy and hold the screen back! It is difficult to make progress in this manner, but that also means good times. The game would usually end by me yelling at my sister anyway. ^_^

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Oh I remember those typed of conflicts. That was annoying. My brother would say "we haven't gone there yet" and I'd say "we did, try this way first", but he'd be stubborn like every 10 years old kid thinking he was right.[/COLOR]

Posted by Meftah

Rofl i loved that game played it when i was little i beat the game with 1 teamm8... my own mother rofl she was actually good i was shocked :O:O:O:O she got all her upgrades before me and she was the valkrie or however u spelled it.... me i was the yellow mage all the time unleashing that rock shower and that skull attack >:)

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, Xero, those are actually some of the strongest memories I have from playing the games. At the time it was pretty annoying, but now we look back and appreciate it. Strange how that is. It's even worse in the NES game because you can actually get your characters stuck in some of the levels!

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Don't forget to save ;) All good memories when I was going insane :p:[/COLOR]

Posted by Xero

I just downloaded the ROM of this game. I'll see if it's as good on PC. Doubt it, but it's worth a try.

Posted by NES MASTER

i got this game my friend billy beat it by himself and to unlock characters you have to collect 50 coins on the bonus level i have unlocked 2 of them on my memory pack

Posted by Dexter

Beat it by himself? Boring. This is a game made for multiplayer.

Posted by NES MASTER

i know , most n64 games were made for multiplayer , we are in the works of beating it again together and its way better

Posted by janewome

Gauntlet
Mar 23 2009, 1:10 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:11 AM EDT
Can people try out my level I just made, its basically a run the gauntlet type level using the paintinator! I wanted to make a deathmatch type of level for 2-4 players, in this level you can shoot things that will trigger traps to kill your opponent while you race to the end. Its only a test level so its real short with a few ideas jammed into it please try it out and comment thanks. Oh yea the level is named Gauntlet 1.0 and my PSN is Lordvegeta.