DVD Wii

Posted by Proto Man

Quoted post: NEW YORK, Nov 13 (Reuters) - Digital media software company Sonic Solutions (SNIC.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Monday that video game maker Nintendo (7974.T: Quote, Profile, Research) will use its CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator for DVD movie viewing in a future version of the Wii gaming console.

Nintendo plans to release this version of Wii in the latter half of 2007, Sonic said in a news release.

Also, according to another article I read (which I can't find at the moment) this won't be coming to the US. Panasonic Q anyone?

Why does Nintendo keep doing this? I don't get it. Is Japan that bent on having DVD capability? Plus, why don't they ever release these in the US?

Posted by Last Fog

Wii doesn't play DVDs?

Forget next-gen, Nintendo is having trouble catching up with last-gen.

Posted by Speedfreak

LOL CAN'T READ. It's a software attatchment.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Last Fog: Wii doesn't play DVDs?

Forget next-gen, Nintendo is having trouble catching up with last-gen.

No, they decided to not have it play DVD's. As far as the ability TO play DVD's, IMO that has no bearing on it being a next gen system or not.

Posted by Last Fog

LOL, I knew you were gonna derep me for that, I was just waiting for it. I didn't read the article and frankly dont give a ****. I just purposely said something arrogant.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I don't even know what a cineplayer is.

Posted by Bebop

Im not bothered about DVD player. it would be nice to use the Wiimote but seeing as I can pick up a Tesco Value DVD player for a cool 15 quid its easy for me either way.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

This is coming to the US at some point, apparently. And it's not software-based - at least, not updatable with it.

What boggles my mind is that they're trying to expand their audience, and that audience is much more likely to buy the console if it has added functionality. For us, sure, our PS2s, PCs, Xboxes, 360s and standalones all play DVDs. For the AARP members they've been advertising to? Maybe not.

Posted by Kit

I have 2 DVD Players, A computer that can play DVDs, a Laptop that can play DVDs, a PS2 and Xbox. I don't need any more DVD players.

Edit: So I don't care whether it has one or not.

Posted by segashadow128gcn

:mad:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/745/745515p1.html

that is just bull crap. they were so big on saying everyone already has a dvd player, and how this is a video game system and there is no reason for dvd playback. and now this, and if i get one sunday i will have to buy a brand new wii for the dvd playback in late 07. thats stupid. they dont need to do that. and they shouldent unless they can have it ready by this sunday, and they cant.

stupid

Posted by Bebop

Do you know whats really stupid?

Living in 2006 and not having a DVD player.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Wings: What boggles my mind is that they're trying to expand their audience, and that audience is much more likely to buy the console if it has added functionality. For us, sure, our PS2s, PCs, Xboxes, 360s and standalones all play DVDs. For the AARP members they've been advertising to? Maybe not.

I see what you're saying, I mean, it's weird that they decided to add weather, news, and photo functionality to the Wii, but no DVD player. I'm sure a DVD player would have been better at attracting non-gamers than sports and news.

Posted by Dexter

This doesn't anger me at all. I have a DVD player. Basically, everyone I know has a DVD player. Their not looking to buy a gaming system for another DVD player, their looking to buy a gamin system for games. The additional costs just wouldn't be worth it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Who the **** doesn't have a DVD player? Seriously, I have eight. ****ing eight DVD players. Four of those are from video game consoles, two are from computers, and two are actual DVD players.

Anyone who feels they need to wait for or rebuy the Wii because it'll be able to play DVDs in 2007 is a retard.

Posted by segashadow128gcn

it is stupid. i dont care about playing dvd's either i have a computer that can 2 dvd players that can a 360 that can and a ps2 that can, i just dont like the fact that there is going to be a wii released with it later.. so i wont have that wii will have the one without the dvd player. which i know really doesnt matter. it just bugs me, and i though nintendo was serious about sticking with the whole anti-dvd player attitude, and now this.. sad.

but i am sorry feel free to close this thread or deleate it i should have look for the other thread. my bad.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Wings: For us, sure, our PS2s, PCs, Xboxes, 360s and standalones all play DVDs. For the AARP members they've been advertising to? Maybe not.

This thread is the problem with gamers analysing the Wii. It's not only for us, any more - it's for everyone else.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Bebop: Do you know whats really stupid?

Living in 2006 and not having a DVD player.

This is true. What are they now, like 40 bucks? I want VHS compatibility.

Posted by Dexter

Cheaper than that. I got my sister a DVD player at Wal-Mart the other day for only 20 dollars.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting segashadow128gcn: it just bugs me, and i though nintendo was serious about sticking with the whole anti-dvd player attitude, and now this.. sad.

They we're never about NOT having things like DVD players. But they were FOR giving the games priority.

Posted by Moogs

Wow, this really isn't a big deal at all, everyone who is anyone has at least one DVD player in their house... I always use my 360 to play DVDs, so this doesnt bother me at all... Last Fag is just an idiot.

Posted by Proto Man

[URL="http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14430"]It's confirmed![/URL] The US is getting a DVD Wii by the latter end of next year. So those of you who are waiting to buy one, might want to wait a bit longer.

Posted by Last Fog

oh yes lets wait longer and pay more for a ****ty dvd player.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah really, who the **** that actually wants a Wii is going to wait a year to get one with a DVD player, Proto Man? Come on.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting s0ul: Yeah really, who the **** that actually wants a Wii is going to wait a year to get one with a DVD player, Proto Man? Come on.

No, but some people might already be waiting to get the Wii. So, if waiting a bit longer to get a DVD player might be a good deal.

Posted by s0ul

A year. For an add-on you already have.

Kinda doubt it.

Posted by Burrito

If you've already waited almost a year, there is no reason not to wait a bit longer. Some people would just like a DVD player in their room.

Posted by Dexter

20 dollars will take care of that problem. If someone wanted the Wii enough, they'd simply take that path.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Burrito: If you've already waited almost a year, there is no reason not to wait a bit longer. Some people would just like a DVD player in their room.

Yeah? Well, some people are cavemen.

Posted by Burrito

Oh, wait a second, you have to pay more for it? I take back what I said. It does sound pretty pointless.

Posted by Pit

DVD players shouldn't be that hard to implement after all these ****ing years. Should've been packaged with the system for 250$ to begin with

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting s0ul: Yeah really, who the **** that actually wants a Wii is going to wait a year to get one with a DVD player, Proto Man? Come on.

True, but then on the other side of the coin, some people might be waiting close to that long for better games to come out. I mean yeah, it IS kind of stupid to wait JUST for the DVD, but if your going to wait anyway, why not?

Also, I know I didn't get a GameCube until about a year after it came out (And I bet there were plenty other people too!). As for Wii, I may not wait that long, but I know I won't be getting one this year unless Father Christmas decides to smile upon me. I won't be getting one at least till Smash Brothers Brawl comes out.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Either way, I"m sure the US and you fancier people over the pond will get a DVD version if ever it is released. If it's software, all it's going to take is an update (hack) or firmware mod (hack).

Posted by Burrito

It seems to be more than just software with the addition to the price and everything.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Burrito: It seems to be more than just software with the addition to the price and everything.

It is more than just software, which is why current Wii's won't be able to be simply updated for this.

Posted by Last Fog

if the wii was ever gonna play DVDs it should do it right out of the box. No excuse.

Posted by protomanv4

I don't think there is any point of getting wii that is able to play dvds, i mean come on dvds cost less then wii so there is not much of a point of getting wii with a dvd player in it unless you are too dumb to get a dvd player.

Posted by Dexter

Even though I have multiple DVD players already, if there were an option between getting the regular Wii and the DVD Wii, I'd most likely go with the DVD Wii, as long as it wasn't ugly. I'm sure it'll look different. The Game Cube DVD looked different. It looked better than the regular Game Cube system. I'd still like one of them.