Yoshi's Island DS

Posted by Proto Man

So tomorrow, the mysterious Yoshi's Island DS is comming out for the DS. This is supposed to be the direct sequal to Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and was originally named Yoshi's Island 2.

Here is the plot:

Quoting Nintendo.com: A mysterious floating island has suddenly appeared over peaceful Yoshi’s Island. Soon after its arrival, a gaggle of kids vanishes from the island school. Thankfully, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby Donkey Kong and Baby Wario manage to avoid being kidnapped. Now, Yoshi and the four young superstars must set out on a wild and colorful quest to rescue the kids and investigate the ominous island hovering overhead

So it looks like Baby Luigi is captured again, which stinks because I was hoping he would be playable. The whole story is very interesting indeed. I have my ideas on why Baby Peach, and Baby Wario are there, BUT BABY DONKEY KONG? Hopefully the game will give some explanation. Because until now, we were led to believe that DK and Mario first met in Brooklyn NY.

Anyhow I am glad the original artwork is still there, and hopefully some of the original music will be too! What I really think is neat is the use of both screens as one, as you can see below:

[IMG]http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/ds/yoshis_island_2/scr_011.jpg[/IMG]

Now while this IS being developed by Artoon, the head director is Nintendo's own Takashi Tezuka, who worked on the original Yoshi's Island.

Personally, I am excited! If I don't get FFIII first, I will definately be getting this game next.

Posted by Bebop

I'm really excited about it. I too wanted to play as Luigi. As far as the story goes it doesnt really matter. When has a Mario game ever really had a deep story?

Posted by Echo

Concerning Baby DK being there, I was always under the influence that Mario, Peach, and Wario were from the Mushroom Kingdom and didn't go to school on Yoshi Island, but they do in this game. I don't think that continuity is really too important in Mario games.

This game should be fun, but I'm gonna get FF3 tomorrow. I might eventually pick this up if I hear good things about it, because Yoshi's Island was one of my very favorite SNES games.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Echo: Concerning Baby DK being there, I was always under the influence that Mario, Peach, and Wario were from the Mushroom Kingdom and didn't go to school on Yoshi Island, but they do in this game.

I don't know... boarding school? lol

Quoted post: I don't think that continuity is really too important in Mario games.

Yeah I guess, but for myself, I like to get deep when it comes to this stuff. Plus I am writing a fanfic, so I have to keep on top of things.

Posted by maian

I was gonna buy thuis ASAP, but, well, EGM's review has left me questioning. Normally, I agree completely with their reviews, and they say it just doesn't live up to the original. Also, they say the whole dual screen thing is flawed. They say the gap in between the screens is "empty space", meaning, there's stuff there, you just can't see it. They say half the time, it gets frustrating, since some random hazard will kill you in between screens. I don't know, could be good. Could be bad. Either way, I'm extremely torn between buying this and FF3 now. =(

Posted by maian

...Did anyone buy this game? I got FFIII, and the decision between the two was painstaking. :(

Posted by Bebop

Ive orcered Yoshi on import. Along with Mario VS DK 2.

Posted by junior senior

sorry for the late bump, but this game is really good. I recommend it, it has some challenging levels, but it's fun. Definitely my favorite game right now. I just got it 3 days ago and I'm on world 4.

Posted by Proto Man

How is the gameplay, is it like the original?

Posted by junior senior

yeah, you can scroll up or down to see what's cut off

the only thing I didn't like was the default control settings, but you can change that.

Posted by maian

Oh, good. I'll buy it eventually then. I was waiting to see if someone would say something good about it. :(

On another note, does it use the shoulder buttons? >_>

Posted by Zeta

It probably does, since both the SNES and GBA versions of YI used R for egg-aiming.

Posted by maian

>_>

What's the deal with the controls? Can you edit them yourself, or are there custom control sets? I'll definitely buy if you can customiz.e. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I get a new DS or fix the buttons. >_>

Posted by junior senior

Nope.

Again, you have 4 different options for your controls. The one I use is the original, and you don't need them, plus, you have X and Y. :)

Posted by maian

oh, good.

definite buy, then. Any game I can enjoy a lot without lack of options from shoulder button damage is a good game. Yoshi's Island GBA is still pretty much the only GBA game I can play over and over. I long for more, and am excited that some of the levels actually are hard.

Posted by junior senior

eggs in the controls I have is L.

Get cooking mama! OH WAIT NO BECAUSE IT MADE A SCRATCH ON MY SCREEN :mad:

Posted by maian

Well, L is completely useless to me. :) R works half the time, but there's no chance with L.

Posted by junior senior

That's what I meant, I put L by accident because my L broke. There's still hope for your R button to come back to throw eggs! :)

Posted by muffla

i dno if i want to get this game or diddy kong racing

Posted by Proto Man

Get this game, it's actually something NEW, rather than a sub par re-hash. I say sub par because from what I have read, DK Racing has been re-worked and doesn't look as good as the original.

Posted by junior senior

This game sells for $35? Got it for $29.92 as my total at wal-mart. :cool:

Posted by Dexter

Just finished it. I liked the art style but I got fairly tired of the actual adventure halfway through. The difficulty increased at a good pace. I did enjoy it more than the New Super Mario Bros. Trying to see things that were in the middle of the two screens got annoying.