Joke Joystiq Zelda article

Posted by Speedfreak

At least I assume it's a joke. It's a preview of Zelda on joystiq. The author basically says the game sucks because it's entirely brown (apparantly) and

[quote]In the latest Zelda, the game's designers have been forced to sabotage game play to atone for the console's graphical shortcomings. Example: roadside signs are illegible. In Zelda, merely reading signs becomes laborious and annoying. You must first walk up to the sign. You must then press the controller's "a" button. When you do this, the game zooms in on the sign (taking a moment to do this). The game then shows you the text of the sign. Finally, having read the sign, you must hit another button to zoom away from the sign and regain control of your character.

Nintendo is doomed etc.

[URL="http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/11/nintendos-new-zelda-falls-flat/"]http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/11/nintendos-new-zelda-falls-flat/[/URL]

Posted by Bebop

Wait, so gameplay is bad beacuse you have to press a button to read a sign? get out of here.

Besides I thought brown=good graphics. Worked for Gears and Call of Duty. Splinter Cell and Metal Gear too. Brown is the true next gen!

Posted by Speedfreak

They haven't said a damn thing about MGS4 or Resistance. Apparantly it's not a joke, though.

Posted by Drewboy64

I just read this at IGN. THis must be a joke, his complaining abotu the sign is rediculous!

"In the latest Zelda, the game's designers have been forced to sabotage game play to atone for the console's graphical shortcomings. Example: roadside signs are illegible. In Zelda, merely reading signs becomes laborious and annoying. You must first walk up to the sign. You must then press the controller's "a" button. When you do this, the game zooms in on the sign (taking a moment to do this). The game then shows you the text of the sign. Finally, having read the sign, you must hit another button to zoom away from the sign and regain control of your character. If your character were blind and had to read via Braille, then bumping into signs and fumbling a button would be appropriate. But such a kludgey mechanism merely rankles here, because most modern games have legible signposts. "
OH NOZ! TEH PRES A

"Thanks to the indistinct graphics, it's actually impossible to tell how much of your bobber is underwater, making it more difficult to know when to set the hook in order to reel in a fish. " I honestly don't know HOW that has anything to do wiht graphics, seeing as they graphics are amazing there, and they would't affect that ****.

Posted by Bebop

Oh yeh, Fall of Man. I remember a much older post on Joystiq about how brown was the new colour for video games. It was quite the chuckle.

Posted by nich

While I do agree that the graphics are a bit dissapointing (especially considering the recent news that MP3 is getting a complete makeover and will look MUCH better upon it's release) complaining about not being able to read the signs is retarded.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't see how MP3 getting better graphics is relevent. MP3 is a Wii game from the beginning, Zelda isn't. Zelda is essentially a Gamecube game with Wii controls (and a bit of Wii fillrate), and it's easily in the top 5 best looking GC games.

Posted by Axis

There's plenty of color in Call of Duty 3 and Gears. :/

Posted by nich

Quoting Speedfreak: I don't see how MP3 getting better graphics is relevent. MP3 is a Wii game from the beginning, Zelda isn't. Zelda is essentially a Gamecube game with Wii controls (and a bit of Wii fillrate), and it's easily in the top 5 best looking GC games.

My point was Wii is capable of much more and if Ninty hadn't just decided to slap on Wii controls, as if it were a last minute decision, it could have looked alot better. I know, the fact is that it's technically a Gamecube game and for a Gamecube game it looks pretty good.

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo spent at least 1/3 of Zelda's total development putting in Wii controls, they weren't just "slapped on".

The game couldn't have looked better because it was in development for Gamecube.
If they didn't make decision to put it on Wii too, the graphics wouldn't have been any better. There's no way they'd decide to do a Wii version and spend most of their extra time making the graphics better and ignore the Wii controller entirely.

People don't really consider what's possible and what isn't when they complain about not having everything.

Posted by TendoAddict

Obviously a retard or a failed joke. The main body was sign's and the color brown.

Even if you could read sign's from a-far it wouldnt matter. You know wny? Because they're not in english.

Posted by Fate

IN THIS DUDE'S OPINION, immersion in gameplay should be of utmost importance. He said that it felt outdated having to do that when in Oblivion you did not have to. He wasn't writing a review, just some of the things that didn't fly well for him during gameplay. If he likes immersion and wasn't immersed, I guess he felt like players like him should probably know about it.

Nobody should have to say that.

...Or this guy sucks at jokes.

Posted by nich

Quoting Speedfreak: Nintendo spent at least 1/3 of Zelda's total development putting in Wii controls, they weren't just "slapped on".

Sure seems like they were, since the controls aren't even very good from what I've read. For example, you must do a button combo. in order to perform a thrust when you could have simply thrusted the wiimote, you also cannot control the direction of the swing etc. I remember reading about software that was developed that made programming motions very easy.

Quoting Speedfreak: The game couldn't have looked better because it was in development for Gamecube.

Why not? I thought the Gamecube and Wii were quite similar to develope for.

Quoting Speedfreak: If they didn't make decision to put it on Wii too, the graphics wouldn't have been any better.

Obviously.

Quoting Speedfreak: There's no way they'd decide to do a Wii version and spend most of their extra time making the graphics better and ignore the Wii controller entirely.

It didn't have to be a Wii launch title, I would have waited.

Quoting Speedfreak: people don't really consider what's possible and what isn't when they complain about not having everything.

I'm not simply complaining about not having everything. I think it was a mistake to bring this game to the Wii, this soon atleast, and I am explaining why I think it was.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting nich: Sure seems like they were, since the controls aren't even very good from what I've read. For example, you must do a button combo. in order to perform a thrust when you could have simply thrusted the wiimote, you also cannot control the direction of the swing etc.

All sword motion is controlled by the Wii-mote.

Quoting nich:
Why not? I thought the Gamecube and Wii were quite similar to develope for.

From what I understand, this game is a port taylored for the Wii. In order to have better graphics, there would have to be a totally separate game development.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: There's plenty of color in Call of Duty 3 and Gears. :/

There's even a whole level baked in bright orange in Gears =/

Anywho, whether this is a joke or not, anyone who takes it seriously needs to sit back and laugh about it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=nich]Sure seems like they were, since the controls aren't even very good from what I've read.

Then stop reading 1up.

Quoted post: Why not? I thought the Gamecube and Wii were quite similar to develope for.

Yes, but Wii is more powerful. It takes double the amount of time to make 2 sets of models/textures or to program new effects.

Quoted post: It didn't have to be a Wii launch title, I would have waited.

Zelda DID have to be a launch title. Otherwise that'd be another huge delay after the year delay we've already had. If there was another delay then the Gamecube version would have to be scrapped, because no one would buy the GC version a year later. If there's no GC version then they'd have to bump up the graphics for Wii. It'd pretty much become Zelda Wii, which as we know is already in production.

Think about what you're saying. There's no other time Zelda could've come out, everything's best like this.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's true. Enough people were already ****ed off about it being delayed a year. Imagine what would happen if there was another delay? Nothing good could come out of that for Nintendo.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak:
Zelda DID have to be a launch title. Otherwise that'd be another huge delay after the year delay we've already had.

That, and Twilight Princess is pretty much Ninty's killer app for launch. Without it, no one would really want to buy Wii right away, and Nintendo would probably have to push the Wii launch back until they had a killer app. You think Nintendo can ride on Wii Sports, or Excite Truck (no pun intended)?

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Anywho, whether this is a joke or not, anyone who takes it seriously needs to sit back and laugh about it.

Exactly! Quoted for Truth!

Posted by MottaTheHutt

You think after so many years Nintendo could come up with an advanced, more sophisticated sign-reading system. Gosh, so unorignial. I no longer plan on getting Twilight Princess, or a Wii for that matter! >:(

Posted by s0ul

It's encouraging to know this is the only thing he could think to complain about.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Fate: He said that it felt outdated having to do that when in Oblivion you did not have to. He wasn't writing a review, just some of the things that didn't fly well for him during gameplay..

Screw that. Had you been able to just walk up to the sign and read it it would have been less immersive, because that would mean the signs are in English. Like TendoAddict pointed out, no one in Zelda actually uses English, they would use Hylian. I far prefer the sign being written like [URL="http://www.omniglot.com/writing/hylian.htm"]this[/URL] than being able to read the sign from far away.

Bsaically, that is one of the lamest things to complain about. Next this guy is going to say that Link wearing green is totally out-dated and un-original.:rolleyes:

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Echo: Bsaically, that is one of the lamest things to complain about. Next this guy is going to say that Link wearing green is totally out-dated and un-original.:rolleyes:

Or unfashionable right? Amirite or what ;-*