The Gears of War Reviews are in!

Posted by Axis

It is now November 7th and we can all get our hands on the game. I'm getting mine around 4 PM today. Anyways, reviews for the game are now up and here are the scores:

IGN:
Gamespot: 9.6 out of 10
TeamXbox: 9.6 out of 10
OXM: 10 out of 10
1UP: 10 out of 10

Looks like the game lived up to the hype. :D

EDIT: Dunno where the IGN review is, but I have to leave for school. So you guys will have to look for yourselves.

Posted by brownoystercult

omg

Posted by Bebop

Considering these sites gave Halo 2 similar scores Im going to have to play it for myself.

Posted by Klarth

Need... 360...

But I'd still have no time to play it, so :(

Posted by Bebop

Just checked out the Gamespot review and it does look alot of fun. Im not quite sure what to make of the health thing though.

If I pick up a 360 it wont be till I have enough funds. Some time after Xmas. Im too busy getting ready for Wii.

Posted by Fate

Ahhh, having money for all consoles and games is so much fun. I'll have to pick this up in my spare time. Too busy playing Splinter Cell and Final Fantasy. I may not even play Zelda until I'm finished. Gears of War and F.E.A.R. are on my list of games to get. No time! Overwhelmed! I love it!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Im not quite sure what to make of the health thing though.

Regenerating health? It's a pretty much a standard in all FPSs now it seems. It's even in CoD.

Anywho, IGN gave it a 9.4. I was quite surprised to see them score lower than GS, but either way, still ****ing amazing. I was a little unsure for about a month or so, specifically two weeks ago. But since then, I've been so hyped up for it and I'm really happy to see it's living up to it.

Unfortunately, I can't get it until Thursday. Same with CoD3. So I plan to take that day off and just overdose on Live.

Posted by Bebop

Im still not convinced by this regenerating health thing. I prefer it the old way. More skill.

Quoted post: Im still not convinced by this regenerating health thing. I prefer it the old way. More skill.

... No, not really. Skill comes in a completely different form than running around looking for health packs. Play Legendary in Halo/2 or Veteran in CoD2. You need skill and you need to be very good at both games to even bother attempting it. Apparently GoW follows with Insane difficulty where it's almost impossible without being absolutely perfect at the game.

Trust me, regenerating health is one of the best things to happen to the genre.

Posted by Bebop

I wouldnt say so. Killing someone, running off, and waiting for your health to come back is different to coming out of a battle with an opponent with your scars still there. Remember not every FPS has health packs.

I'm going to trade Kameo, and Oblivion in for Gears of War. I'll get it for like $10. I must.

Quoted post: I wouldnt say so. Killing someone, running off, and waiting for your health to come back is different to coming out of a battle with an opponent with your scars still there. Remember not every FPS has health packs.

Seeing as AI, levels, and controls are more complex than they were even close to a decade ago, it actually took less skill to play something like a DOOM than something like a Call of Duty. When you have enemies that will suppress you, throw a **** ton of grenades, then flank you, you would have a terrible time playing through most games. But, if you don't like that, that's what the higher difficulties are for. You'll still regenerate health, but, Veteran mode in CoD2 for example, you could only take a couple shots (literally) before going down.

It's becoming a standard for a reason.

Plus, GoW seems to need quite a bit of skill. Even with this health system. More so than any other game with a "normal" health system.

Posted by Bebop

Im talking about multiplayer, not in single player. Every player is basically going to wait for their health to come back.

Posted by Dexter

That feature bothers me most in Halo 2. It doesn't bother me at all in Call of Duty 2.

Quoted post: Im talking about multiplayer, not in single player. Every player is basically going to wait for their health to come back.

Stop playing Halo 2.

Posted by Bebop

You think people in Gears of War arent going to sit down and wait for their health to come back? Lol

Quoted post: You think people in Gears of War arent going to sit down and wait for their health to come back? Lol

Of course they will, but so what? More often then not you'll be able to kill them dead before they have a chance to get away. And if they do sit back, run and chainsaw them. Or, learn to shoot better.

See, the difference between Halo and a game like CoD2 for example is the fact that, yes your health regenerates, but in CoD you barely have any health. You can take maybe five torso shots before you die. The only time you can sit back and wait for your health to regenerate is if you're a lousy shot and hit someone in the leg or barely nicked them with a grenade. And even then you can barely move or see. In Halo however, you're basically a tank. Thus "stop playing Halo"

Posted by Axis

Ok I got the game around 3:30 this afternoon. Just now got off, which clocks me in a little over 4 hours or so. Game is freaking amazing, especially the multiplayer, which worried me the most. Out of the 10 maps that I played, I only disliked 1. So yeah, everyone get this game, NOW!

Posted by s0ul

[QUOTE=Vampiro V. Empire Play Legendary in Halo/2 or Veteran in CoD2. You need skill and you need to be very good at both games to even bother attempting it.

protip: people who beat halo on legendary are never actually good at Halo

Gamestop wouldn't sell it today, even if you had it preordered. I was pretty angry, seeing as it's 20 miles away. Gaaaaaay.

Posted by Axis

Really? I walked into my Gamestop, picked up, and have been happy ever since.

You didn't have it pre-ordered?

Posted by s0ul

No. I'm not really excited about the game, just trying to validate my ownership of a 360, hoping it will stop disappointing. Lost Planet on the other hand...

Posted by Random

Grrrr I need a 360 around Christmas so I can get this game and whack off while i'm playing it =D

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=s0ul]No. I'm not really excited about the game, just trying to validate my ownership of a 360, hoping it will stop disappointing. Lost Planet on the other hand...Dude, your 360 runs Halo, right? That counts for something!:D

If I get a 360, I plan on getting GoW with it, as long as the multiplayer is any good.

Posted by Bebop

There was nothing wrong with the old approach to health. Goldeneye did it will. With FPS that use regenerating now it boils down to who can pull the trigger first. On the other way players arent forced to re do that everytime.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Skitzo Control: Dude, your 360 runs Halo, right? That counts for something!:D

If I get a 360, I plan on getting GoW with it, as long as the multiplayer is any good.

I can assure you that the multiplayer is best on Xbox 360 right now.

Quoted post: protip: people who beat halo on legendary are never actually good at Halo

Because playing AI and playing humans is a completely different experience.

Quoted post: With FPS that use regenerating now it boils down to who can pull the trigger first.

... right? How is that bad? Isn't that kind of how real life goes. If your opponent shoots first, consider yourself dead. There's nothing "wrong" with the old approach, but there's more right with the new.

Wait, do you even play any online FPSs that use the overshield system? Like CoD2/3 for example? If not, stop talking.

Posted by Bebop

Ive played COD2 online and, as fun as it is, I still prefer the older health system. Theres more right with it.

Nah, not really. See, with CoD2, the regenerating health doesn't play a factor most of the time. You shoot somebody one or twice, they die. You suck at shooting someone, they live. Otherwise online all you're doing is blasting away constantly trying to tear down their amour just to kill them... until they get away and someone else steals your kill. Fun stuff right there. You were basically a tank in the old system. You didn't really have to worry about dying as much, unlike in CoD2/3 where, as I said, two well placed body shots and you're dead.

Anywho, not arguing this since it's apparently preference. Though I just can't understand how anyone could like a "normal" health system in multi.

Seriously, it's retarded running around trying to find health packs.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, just got it today, played alone for a bit then co-op for a bit. I'm surprised with how good it is but anyone who gave it a ten is still a *** **** retard.

Regardless, it's a must-buy if you own the console. Everyone should stop *****ing about the scores, play the *** **** game, have fun, etc.

Posted by KoH

This game is a *****.

I mean, maybe I just suck at it, but I'm playing it on (what I assume is 'Normal' mode) Insane mode and I'm getting my *** kicked. The game's awesome, probably the best the 360 has to offer, but ****it is it tough as ****.

wtf, what's your gamertag?

and insane mode is the hardest difficulty, you dolt.

haha, casual, hardcore, and then insane. shiiiiiit.

Quoted post: I mean, maybe I just suck at it, but I'm playing it on (what I assume is 'Normal' mode) Insane mode and I'm getting my *** kicked. The game's awesome, probably the best the 360 has to offer, but ****it is it tough as ****.

You do realise Insane mode is the hardest mode right? And it's designed so it's practically impossible to beat outside of co-op =/

Normal mode is stupid easy. Hardcore is just right.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, normal mode is pretty freaking easy. Anyways, I'm on Act 4 of 5 right now. Should probably be done, but I've been playing multplayer WAY too much. I would say that the best map in the game is either Canals or Clocktower.

Posted by KoH

Wait wait wait, my bad, guys. I meant to say "Hardcore." Yeah I tried hardcore seeing as how "casual" depicted the game as being far too easy. So I tried it after reading the subtext "you know how to pull off a headshot" and agreeing with the statement, only to have my *** handed to me multiple times.

Now I'm playing it on casual and, as should be expected, am kicking ***. Although I'm kind of disappointed at how easy Casual is. It's as if the AI was dramatically decreased from Hardcore as opposed to just lowered slightly.

Btw, my xbox live tag: The KoH

(Duh)

Yeah, you're exactly right. In Casual you can take and deal more damage while shooting up pathetically dumb AI. I believe the large jump between Casual and Hardcore was a knock against the game many reviewers used.

Posted by KoH

WOW.

So I spent an entire 8 hours playing Gears of War and I finally beat it. Jesus Christ that is one hell of a good game. So it's now 6 AM (I work at night so it's not like I don't have a life) and I tried the versus mode online and it's pretty swell. I'm too honestly tired to give it my "all" but from what I can tell it has great potential at becoming a kickass past time.

I am very interested, however, in trying the co-op with a buddy of mine. Btw, if there's any doubt in your mind whether or not to get this game if you have a 360 let me be the first to tell you that if you don't get this game you will regret it for life.

Awesome, I'll add you later tonight, when I get back from school, and other business.

Hopefully I'll be getting the game on Friday. Can't ****ing wait. And I think I'm going to tackle it on "Casual" first, so I can unlock the achievements.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting brownoystercult: Seriously, it's retarded running around trying to find health packs.

I would say as retarded as waiting in a corner for your health to come back. it would be basically the same. They would both involve leaving action so you can up your chances of survival.

Also not every FPS using one of these health styles will play like that. Goldeneye is an example of where Health is used well. Halo 2 is an example where regenerating helth is used poorly.

Quoted post: Hopefully I'll be getting the game on Friday. Can't ****ing wait. And I think I'm going to tackle it on "Casual" first, so I can unlock the achievements.

Achievements are stackable. Me and my buddy tried insane first and beat the first Act which gave us Achievements on both Casual and Hardcore too.

Quoted post: I would say as retarded as waiting in a corner for your health to come back. it would be basically the same. They would both involve leaving action so you can up your chances of survival.

Nah, you make it sound like a bad thing. When in fact it's not. You're the only person who seems to dislike it.

Posted by Bebop

Thats because it can be a bad thing? You're being retarded and assuming that no matter what regenerating health will always work better than the old style. I mention Halo 2 and Goldeneye. When done well I prefer the classic style. Get over it. For a guy who freaks when I question someones opinion on something you seem to ready to convert me. I'm done with this.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was disappointed in it or anything, it's a killer app fo sheezy. It's a **** good game, but perfect is definitely pushing it. Having a ****ing blast playing it on co-op, I actually have to talk to my team mate and plan flanks and **** to beat AI! It's a good feeling, and I really enjoy it.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: ... No, not really. Skill comes in a completely different form than running around looking for health packs. Play Legendary in Halo/2 or Veteran in CoD2. You need skill and you need to be very good at both games to even bother attempting it. Apparently GoW follows with Insane difficulty where it's almost impossible without being absolutely perfect at the game.

Trust me, regenerating health is one of the best things to happen to the genre.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Vampiro V. Empire again."

Quoted post: Thats because it can be a bad thing? You're being retarded and assuming that no matter what regenerating health will always work better than the old style. I mention Halo 2 and Goldeneye. When done well I prefer the classic style. Get over it. For a guy who freaks when I question someones opinion on something you seem to ready to convert me. I'm done with this.

I freaked on wah? No I didn't.

But k, if you want you want compare Halo 2 to Goldeneye, what about Call of Duty 2 with Metroid Hunters? Yeah. When done well the overshield system is far superior to anything else.

Posted by Bebop

Ive read up on a few more reviews on the game. I honestly think that most points were won over by the presentation. It does look very nice but frankly its not anything new in terms of gameplay. Apparntly the story isnt very well told and practically doesnt exist.

Yeah, there's practically no story. But when did that stop a game from getting perfect (ahem OoT?) But I can totally see why this game keeps getting nines. One of the best single-player experiences in any game. Not only that, you actually need to work with your group in MP, otherwise you'll get a grenade shoved in your mouth. There really is, absolutely, nothing wrong with the game.