The most depressing songs you have ever heard.

Posted by Kiyoshi

What are the most depressing songs you have heard? For me it's Wake Up by Coheed and Cambria.

Posted by Sean Fury

Depressing as in the lyrics are really sad or depressing as in this song makes you want to kill yourself?

Either way, "The Boys of Summer" done by pretty much anyone who has covered it.

Posted by Hyper

Pain of Salvation - Vocari Dei
Agalloch - A Desolation Song
Porcupine Tree - The Start of Something Beautiful

Posted by Shin-Ra

Agalloch - "A Desolation Song" and "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion"
Nevermore - "The Lotus Eaters"
Pantheist - "Don't Mourn"
Burzum - "Behold The Daughters Of The Firmament'"
Elysian Blaze - "Macabre Be Thy Blood"
Anathema - All of the Judgement album
Stabat Mater - "Above Him"
Antimatter - "Flowers" (acoustic version)
Evergrey - "Recreation Day"

You know what? Just about everything I listen to is pretty depressing stuff. Just take whatever ambient black metal, funeral doom, or whatever it is I listen to and just fill in the blanks. Anathema wins though.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Any of the Smashing pumpkins songs that arent quick and agressive. They remind me of badtimes in the past.

Which sucks, because i love them.:/

Posted by CynicalBastard

I agree with all of Shin-Ra's post (except the 1 band that I have never heard of) and would like to add Sadness and Hate by Wintersun.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Which band?

Quoting Lord of Spam: Any of the Smashing pumpkins songs that arent quick and agressive. They remind me of badtimes in the past.

Which sucks, because i love them.:/

I forgot about them. Yeah, for me it's pretty much the exact same thing. "Rhinoceros" is pretty effective changing my mood nowadays.

Posted by CynicalBastard

I had never heard of Stabat Mater. I'm relatively new to the metal scene having only really started caring about music a year ago, so this might be why.

Posted by Shin-Ra

It's cool, we all have to start somewhere. It's impressive that you've already found the artists I listed above in such a short time.

It's on the Crushing the Holy Trinity 3 cd, 6 way split with Deathspell Omega and other bands. Stabat Mater is Mikko's (of DsO, Clandestine Blaze, etc) funeral doom project. I'll post a link in the upload blog of a copy.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: You know what? Just about everything I listen to is pretty depressing stuff. Just take whatever ambient black metal, funeral doom, or whatever it is I listen to and just fill in the blanks.

What this man said, though I have more to add.

Quoted post: I had never heard of Stabat Mater. I'm relatively new to the metal scene having only really started caring about music a year ago, so this might be why.

fukken hit me up on MSN. Between Shin and myself, we can pretty much provide anything you'd ever want. But yeah, do it, nub. Always cool to see someone new get into black metal and the like.

Anywho:

"Viimeiseen - Through Bloom-Blades" by Tenhi tops my list.
Easily the most depressing song I've ever heard. Literally drips in sadness.

"For Wanda" by A Silver Mt. Zion
Not only is most of their music fairly sad as is, this is actually about one of the musician's pet who died. The whole album is dedicated to it. If you've followed Go[COLOR="White"]ds[/COLOR]peed I guess you'd get it more. Anywho, it's amplified in the last minute or so when you hear what would be heavenly music, and really the only happy moment on the entire album.

"The Sinking Belle (Blue Sheep)" by Sunn O))) and Boris
Don't ask me why, but I found this song actually fairly depressing, probably due to the unnerving sound, haunting female vocals and more so the absolute unexpectedness of the entire thing.

Posted by Fate

Lightning Crashes - LIVE
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
Last Kiss (Spanish) - Alci Acosta

"Lightning Crashes" is a song I'm pretty sure most of you have heard of. Someone dies and then someone lives because of it.

"Last Kiss" is a good one, too. The inspiration and making of the song came from a man in the 60s witnessing three teenage couples die in a car accident. The song doesn't talk about the three couples, but one couple where the woman dies. Pearl Jam did a cover. The Spanish version seemed so much more sad to me, so I like that one as well.

Quoted post: "Lightning Crashes" is a song I'm pretty sure most of you have heard of.

I haven't :(

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Rihanna~ Unfaithfull
Eminem~ Stan

Everytime.[/COLOR]

Posted by Arcadios

The Last Scene - It's bittersweet instrumental.
I've written 3 poems to it.

Posted by Phantasma2

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion - Agalloch
Regret - Malice Mizer
Everyone Leaves - Mortiis

Oh man, Viimeiseen - Through Bloom-Blades by Tenhi. Like Vampiro said.

Posted by Klarth

Katatonia - "In The White"
Cult of Luna - "Leave Me Here"
OSI - "Home Was Good"
Yasunori Mitsuda - "June Mermaid"

Posted by Omni

"Black" by Pearl Jam!

I love this song, but it's pretty sad.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Oh yeah! I forgot:

Hinder~ Lips of an Angel. [/COLOR]

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Anything by FallOut Boy... it's depressing that there can be so much suck in one band.

But really:
"A Different Kind of Pain" by Cold.
"Losing My Religion" by R.E.M./Graveworm (both versions)
"The Road to Devastation" by Kataklysm

There's other, better songs... but I can't remember them for some odd reason.

Posted by Boner

The cover of NIN "Hurt" by Jonny Cash. Hands down, most depressing song ever.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnPPQRvWosc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnPPQRvWosc[/URL]

Posted by Omni

Yeah, even the regular one was depressing, but that one is like...wow.

Nothing so far beats the Tenhi track I posted. But the Jonny Cash one comes fairly close.

Posted by mis0

The A Perfect Circle cover of "Imagine" is absolutely awful (and was my class song), and completely depressing. The original was perfectly fine.

A depressing song I like is "Ohne Dich" by Rammstein. It's sad, but sometimes I can identify.

Posted by Proto Man

A country song called "I'm Taken". I hate it with a passion.

Posted by WackoHater2

Tim McGraw - Don't Take the Girl
This song has made me cry every time I've heard it since the very first time I heard it in 1995. It's so sad. I love it though.

Posted by Kiyoshi

Lips of an Angel by Hinder. It's because it reminds me of what I don't have and desperatly wish I did.

Posted by G-Sides

fantomas - twin peaks: fire walk with me
m83 - safe
johnny cash - hurt [NIN cover]
jane's addiction - three days
lovage - anger management
mew - eight flew over one was destroyed
muse - sing for absolution
portugal. the man - aka m80 the wolf
tomahawk - captian midnight
fin

Posted by Dexter

I'd have to agree with Shin-Ra. Anathema is the most depressing band I know of. Beautiful, too. "One Last Goodbye" is such a great song.

I'll just name off as many as I can think of.

"Time to Break Up" by Blink-182.
"Daffodil Lament" by The Cranberries. It gets happy towards the end, but the start has a sad feeling to it.
"We Must Bury You" by Katatonia.
"Through Her Eyes" by Dream Theater.
"Timelessness" by Fear Factory.
"Cancer" by Filter. THE SAD TRUTH!
"Nausicaä · Requiem" by Joe Hisaishi. It just reminds me of the sadness of the film it was composed for (Valley of the Wind) and it has a very sad sound about it, too.
"Waste" by Staind.
"Cold Metal" by Ambeon.
"Realm of Darkness" by Darkwell.
"Exit New Year" by Julian Fane.
"Byttingen" by Lumsk. Probably my favorite Lumsk song.
"Car Chase Terror" by M83.
"Catherine Blake" and "My Wine in Silence" by My Dying Bride.
"Insignificant" by Nevermore.
"Kim" by Eminem.
"Heartattack In A Layby" and "Collapse The Light Into Earth" by Porcupine Tree.
"Untitled 1" and "Viðrar vel til loftárása" by Sigur Ros. The music videos really bring out the sadness.
"Don't Let Me Die Still Wondering" by Flogging Molly.
"Trauma" by Ayreon.
Theme from Armageddon. lol

Posted by WackoHater2

Rascal Flatts - What Hurts the Most
I think it's because I can associate this song with a book I recently read that made me shed a few tears.

Posted by Ch

Face of Melinda by Opeth
Shelf In The Room by Days of the New

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Stone Cold Crazy: "Black" by Pearl Jam!

I love this song, but it's pretty sad.

Same here.

And also,

Jackson Browne - "Song for Adam"

If you haven't heard this song, it's important that you check it out and listen to the whole thing in its entirity, at least once.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Sean Fury: Depressing as in the lyrics are really sad or depressing as in this song makes you want to kill yourself?

Either way, "The Boys of Summer" done by pretty much anyone who has covered it.

Don Henley. And I've never really found that song depressing.

And songs by Evergrey like "I'm Sorry" and "End Of Your Days" are kind of depressing. Actually, most of the Recreation Day album is.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Shade32: Don Henley. And I've never really found that song depressing.

The more currently well-known version is the one by the Ataris, which is a pretty faithful cover, except they changed one line

"I saw a dead-head sticker on a Cadillac" became:

"I saw a black flag sticker on a Cadillac"

Other than that, they remained true to the song.

Posted by Shade

Ataris = massive phail for that, seriously. It's one of my favorite songs. :(

Posted by WackoHater2

Christina Aguilera - Hurt
It doesn't really apply to me in a depressing way, but it makes my mom's friend Lisa sad, because it reminds her of her mother who recently passed away.

Posted by Omni

Is that a cover of the same Nine Inch Nails song? I don't know if it's not, because I don't listen to stuff like that.

Posted by WackoHater2

I dunno if it is or not. I don't know many Nine Inch Nails songs.

Posted by Omni

Never mind, I'll look it up. It's probably something else.

EDIT: Nope, not the same, but I wasn't really expecting her to do such a cool song, anyway.