Zelda: Intro and New Trailer

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Game intro:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y88M-AQztl0

PRESS A+B TO START!

And new trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqUqxVKd5q0

So, I'm guessing that guy in the cool mask is the new villain. Neat.

Posted by Bebop

Ninty said Gannondorf is in the game so I expect either thats ol Pigface under that mask or he'll be the bigger cheese.

Looks cool.

Posted by Speedfreak

Given that a game that looks this good without Wii breaking into a sweat, we can safely say that graphics aren't an issue anymore. Zelda easily looks better than most 360 games I've seen.

No it doesn't

Posted by Klarth

Ahhhh not going to watch the intro.

Trailer was pretty beastly though. Good to see Zelda again.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]No it doesn't

It does, purely on artistic grounds. Most 360 games look absolutely awful, despite pushing a crazy amount of polygons/mapping effects. For example, Zelda easily looks better than Perfect Dark Zero.

... OoT looks better than PDZ. PDZ looks like absolute ***. Come on.

However, I would never say TP looks better than Gears or GRAW. If only, from an artistic standpoint, TP really isn't all that great. The only thing different it has going for it is the Twilight world and maybe unique looking environments. And though the game truly does look great, seeing those sharp edges in the intro and flat, ugly ground... it's really not attractive (the water is beautiful though).

Now, if you said Wind Waker, that I could agree with. Or Okami for that matter. I'd say those both look better than any 360 game yet... artistically. But that's me.

Posted by Drewboy64

I only watched the trailer, gonna save the intro for the launch.

But man, I cannot wait to play this game.

Posted by Dexter

I'm no expert when it comes to graphics, but it looks on par with most of the games I've played for 360, such as Oblivion.

Looking fun. WOLFY!

Quoted post: I only watched the trailer, gonna save the intro for the launch.

The intro sucks. Don't worry.

Quoted post: I'm no expert when it comes to graphics, but it looks on par with most of the games I've played for 360, such as Oblivion.

Hardly :rolleyes:

Posted by Dexter

The intro was how I expected it to be. Nothing too fancy, but simple and like Ocarina.

Oblivion and Twilight Princess look the same graphically to me. I honestly can't see how Oblivion is superior. I'm sure it is, I just don't notice it. :(

Ocarina's intro was better, but yeah, they're pretty similar. The wolf howling at the wall of whatever was the only notable part.

Graphically, Oblivion is without a doubt better looking. But, maybe not artistically. Oblivion was fairly realistic looking, but TP has a different style all together, which, for what it is, I'd say is better overall. Still, if the intro is any indication, the overworld in Oblivion is noticeable better looking in nearly every way.

Posted by Dexter

Very true. The overworld was very bland and trite, especially compared to the world of Oblivion. I notice that now that you've brought it to my attention.

Posted by TendoAddict

Twilight is not on par with or Gears. Just watch the game play movies, theirs no contest. But its not like Gears is the Mona Lisa and Twilight is Money crap smeared on a canvas, they both look nice.

The point is that the wii can make a good looking game. How good the game itself will look was a concern and games like Mario galaxy and Twilight show that the Wii can make some eye candy.

Basically this generation it wont be the machine that is the major part that determines how good the game looks but how much time the developers put in. This is clear when you see ps3 games that look exactly like the 360 counterpart.

Any ways, Twilight look bad ***. Cant wait to play.

Posted by Colonel

The only thing that really bugged me about to trailer was the fact that when link turns into the wolf, it looking like it emerges from Link's torso. Other than that it looks amazing and I can't wait to play it. (17 Days remain)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire]... OoT looks better than PDZ. PDZ looks like absolute ***. Come on.

However, I would never say TP looks better than Gears or GRAW. If only, from an artistic standpoint, TP really isn't all that great. The only thing different it has going for it is the Twilight world and maybe unique looking environments. And though the game truly does look great, seeing those sharp edges in the intro and flat, ugly ground... it's really not attractive (the water is beautiful though).

Now, if you said Wind Waker, that I could agree with. Or Okami for that matter. I'd say those both look better than any 360 game yet... artistically. But that's me.

[quote]
most 360 games I've seen.

:)

Posted by Axis

I want to take a gun to my head and blow out my brains after reading that this game looks better than most 360 games. Or that Twilight Princess and Oblivion look just the same.

Zelda:
[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/743/743344/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20061101044811353.jpg[/IMG]
Oblivion:
[IMG]http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/698/698400/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20060324070905291.jpg[/IMG]

Oblivion looks way better.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh Jesus Christ, here we go.

Most 360 games I've seen. Most 360 games I've seen, whilst technically being nothing short of amazing, leave a lot to be desired in the art-direction department.

In much the same way that Doom 3 has much better polygon counts, lighting and mapping techniques than Metroid Prime, but Metroid easily takes the cake in character and environment design.

I think Gears of War looks as good as Zelda, because the art really doesn't appeal to me. The characters and enemies really looks quite ugly.

The best-looking 360 game so far, in my opinion, is Viva Pinata. That should really say a lot about my opinions on graphics.

Posted by Fate

I wish they did cel with adult Link. That would've kicked soooooooo much ***.

But really neat. I'm sure it's going to be great and all. It's going to look kind of bad without widescreen, though.
:(

Posted by s0ul

Well then it's probably a good thing that it supports widescreen.

wait, what the ****? is everyone with an HDTV a stuck up prick or something? It's seriously getting annoying. (not directed at Fate, really, more just the HD fuss in general)

Posted by Fate

It supports widescreen? Really? I guess it won't look so bad then. Neat!

Anyone else think it's kind of funny that you can look at a game and say "that looks like it belongs to Nintendo"?
:p

Posted by Bebop

What do you mean?

I wasnt actually sold on the idea of a Zelda as early as others here. I was just like "yeh sweet Zelda. Ill get that. I like Zelda". I was more excited about Elebits than TP. However that trailer has made me very excited. I dont know why. Maybe its the boating thing. I like boats.

Posted by Zeta

Wait, what's with the fairy? Is that the Wiimote cursor? I haven't been paying much attention to TP recently, so...

Posted by maian

Looks great. I wonder who the villain is? Quite a strange mask. :cookie:

And shi-, Zelda was in there.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting maian: Looks great. I wonder who the villain is? Quite a strange mask. :cookie:

It better be the Happy Mask Salesman. :mad:

Seriously, that would be awesome.

Posted by Iris

I have to second Klarth. It's nice to finally see Zelda in a trailer again, and out of the black gown too.

This is reason enough to buy the Wii at launch. The graphics are certainly good enough for me.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: Oh Jesus Christ, here we go.

Most 360 games I've seen. Most 360 games I've seen, whilst technically being nothing short of amazing, leave a lot to be desired in the art-direction department.

In much the same way that Doom 3 has much better polygon counts, lighting and mapping techniques than Metroid Prime, but Metroid easily takes the cake in character and environment design.

I think Gears of War looks as good as Zelda, because the art really doesn't appeal to me. The characters and enemies really looks quite ugly.

The best-looking 360 game so far, in my opinion, is Viva Pinata. That should really say a lot about my opinions on graphics.

Actually my post wasn't really directed towards you at all. I knew that you said from an artistic point of view, which in that case I fully agree. I would also agree that from the artistic view point that Metroid Prime is way better than Doom 3.

Posted by Speedfreak

I have an HDTV, and I'm really looking forward to seeing TP on it.

The GC version doesn't support widescreen, Fate's just one of the 4 people in the entire world that for some completely unknown reason refuses to play the game on Wii. Apparantly Shigeru Miyamoto can't be trusted to make a game control well, or something!

Posted by Zeta

I'm one of those 4, reason being I want one last Zelda romp with a classic controller. I will most likely get the Wii version, but only after I've finished the GCN one.

Posted by s0ul

yeah that guy just makes faggot **** stay away

edit: we have been infiltrated by ninjas

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: I have an HDTV, and I'm really looking forward to seeing TP on it.

The GC version doesn't support widescreen, Fate's just one of the 4 people in the entire world that for some completely unknown reason refuses to play the game on Wii. Apparantly Shigeru Miyamoto can't be trusted to make a game control well, or something!

Doesn't the Wii only do 480p?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Zeta: I'm one of those 4, reason being I want one last Zelda romp with a classic controller. I will most likely get the Wii version, but only after I've finished the GCN one.

....are you an idiot?

Quoted post: The best-looking 360 game so far, in my opinion, is Viva Pinata. That should really say a lot about my opinions on graphics.

I'd agree with the TP looking better than most 360 games artistically if TP looked better artistically. Because, as I said, there's nothing really that artistic about it in my opinion. So I still disagree with you.

And Viva Pinata looks like ****. The art isn't even good looking.

Posted by Bebop

Yey Viva hasnt really won me over in terms of its art direction.

That said TP does look very good. It seems to me a much darker Zelda which is nice. more so than majoras Mask.

Yeah, it indeed does look really great. I'm still willing to say that looks like some of the best water I've seen in any game. But that's not surprising. Pretty much ever Zelda game looked beautiful for it's time. It really shows what the GC was capable of, much like RE4 did.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Axis: Doesn't the Wii only do 480p?

iirc the Wii demo areas at E3 were hooked up to HDTVs via the component leads, and they looked pretty **** fine. I'm honestly not bothered by it not supporting 720 or 1080. At all.

Nor am I... what with not having a TV that can even support anything higher.

Anywho, short montage:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7274

Includes a couple new enemies, fighting bokolin, buying stuff, talking to people, receiving a weird chicken thing, and walking into a western movie.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Axis]Doesn't the Wii only do 480p?

It does EDTV, which is basically a little over the 480p Gamecube did. Gamecube did widescreen with 640x480 with stretched pixels. Wii doesn't stretch them, it uses true widescreen resolution: 854x480.

Basically the different in resolution between Wii and 360 is the different between 845x480 and 1280x720. It's not the "3 times better" that the HD hype would have us believe. Wii is quite literally between SD and HD. If you played Gamecube on an SDTV and are going to play Wii on an HDTV (like me) then you'll notice an improvement.

Posted by maian

Heh, I just watched both of them. This time with sound!

All I can say is that the intro music is beautiful. It really put down a Zelda, uh, tone. I look forward to exploring Hyrule and enjoying its music. :)

Posted by Klarth

Helpful diagram:

Obviously not the actual resolutions; it's to scale.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Bebop: ....are you an idiot?

Isn't it obvious?

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: I have an HDTV, and I'm really looking forward to seeing TP on it.

Um, I don't know where the hell you got the idea that I'm not excited for Zelda, let alone the new system it comes on. I'm getting the Wii version, which supports widescreen. Too bad that HD still isn't in the mix but that's okay because I'm still getting it. You keep assuming things and you look like a jackhole.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Zeta: I'm one of those 4, reason being I want one last Zelda romp with a classic controller. I will most likely get the Wii version, but only after I've finished the GCN one.

[Quote=Matt at IGN]Two Systems - One Game
Twilight Princess may have started as a GameCube title, but it finished a Wii one. There remains this faction of gamers that refuses to accept the possibility. You know who you are. You continue to argue that because the controls were originally designed for the GameCube pad there is no hope for the Wii build. You say that your arms will get tired using the Wii remote. You speak of mirrored worlds and right-handed Link. And you know what? It's all crap. If you buy Twilight Princess for GameCube and not Wii, you are a fool. And I state that without meaning to suggest that the GCN iteration is flawed - it isn't. It's an amazing swan song for Nintendo's older system. But neither is it as good as the Wii incarnation. In fact, were it up to me and not Nintendo (and in my dreams, it is), I'd have scrapped the GCN build altogether, forcing everyone to exclusively buy the Wii version. Honestly, Nintendo gave you five good years with GameCube; it doesn't owe you a ****ed thing.

Think about it. :)

Posted by Dexter

I like it. I was thinking earlier why they didn't just rid of the Game Cube version. I would think they'd want their players to play the best of the versions for the best experience. I wouldn't be nearly as excited about Zelda without the addition of the nifty Wiimote. I don't think I'd be able to play through both versions either. There are far too many gams out there, and there's barely time already to go through them all. Also, buying a 50 dollar game twice seems silly.

Quoted post: I like it. I was thinking earlier why they didn't just rid of the Game Cube version.

Because I want to play the GC version :(

Posted by Ant

Foolishness Vampiro! Foolishness.

Posted by Bebop

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/feature/handson-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-212137.php

Very good article about playing Zelda on the Wii.

Posted by Fate

* Though containing identical content, the GameCube version of the game is actually a mirrored version of the Wii, minus 16:9 support. This means right turns are left turns on the GameCube. -GameSpot

I did not know this.

Posted by Bebop

Huh thats odd. But why?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]Um, I don't know where the hell you got the idea that I'm not excited for Zelda, let alone the new system it comes on. I'm getting the Wii version, which supports widescreen. Too bad that HD still isn't in the mix but that's okay because I'm still getting it. You keep assuming things and you look like a jackhole.[/COLOR]

I actually thought you were making a point of the GC version lacking widescreen, but acting like it's the only option. I apologise, I geniunely thought you were one of those few people here.

The Wii version is mirrored because Link is right-handed in it. It's easier to do than changing every single character model and animation, basically.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Bebop]Huh thats odd. But why?So Zelda puretards can play ZOOOMJ LEFT HANDED LINK.

Quoted post: Huh thats odd. But why?

I guess it's weird to swing a sword with your left hand when you're right-handed. I think that was the reason anyways. The GC version was the original version, so everything is flipped in the Wii version. Even if they make it sound the other way around...

Posted by NeXidala

Wow I loved both videos.
I don't know what all you're standards are for game graphics etc. but I have to say I purely loved it. The intro music was beautiful and it really helped set the tone for me in a positive way. The trailer was magnificent and I have to say that the two scenes where it shows the town and Link in a boat had to be my favorite. Seeing as I pretty much grew up in Zelda, I'm pretty much dazed. I can't wait until I get my hands on a copy. IMO!

Press A+B to Start!

Posted by Zeta

Huh, didn't know about the mirroring and stuff. I'm a leftie. Wii version would feel awkward to me. :(

Posted by NeXidala

Even though it seems a bit silly to some people, I'll be playing through the Gamecube version of TP first, then playing the Wii version. It seems as if I can dwell more in the plot by playing Gamecube first, then getting a more 'hands-on' feeling by playing Wii second.

Quoted post: I don't know what all you're standards are for game graphics etc. but I have to say I purely loved it.

No one's saying the graphics are bad, in fact I think everyone agrees they're fantastic. They just aren't up to the level of some other next-gen titles. Specifically one that's using the Unreal 3 engine for the first time...

Oh, and there's some interesting scenes and tidbits talked about in the most recent 1up Show (1up.com) for anyone who cares.

Posted by maian

I'm sure most of you have read this by now, but for those who haven't, and who are lacking faith, it's certainly worth a read.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/744/744044p1.html

I have no doubt this will outdo OOT. It's completely beautiful, they say the gameplay is flawless, and 10 hours won't even get you to the third dungeon. I could beat WW in 10 hours. I'm really excited that getting two thirds through, knowing exactly where to go, skipping all sidequests and cutscenes nearly triples WW's length. This really reinforces my excitement for TP. Can't wait.

Japanese playtests clocked in at 70 hours, while OoT clocked in at about 35. Also, the scene we saw where Link fights the guy on horseback is roughly the size of OoT's Hyrule Field, and that's only a small section of TP's Hyrule Field. That doesn't include everything out of the field too.

Just a few fun facts. Good stuff.

Posted by Axis

Well, when I sell my PS3 off eBay, I'm going to go pick up a Wii and this game.

Posted by sniper

Zomg additional downloadable levels, major fukken win. Take THAT, fags who want the GCN version.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Axis]Well, when I sell my PS3 off eBay, I'm going to go pick up a Wii and this game.

...that's it!? Sir, you could buy every launch game plus a small house to play them in after selling a launch PS3 on ebay.

Posted by Axis

I have other priorities to spend my money on than every Wii launch title. I may however, get around to Red Steel and Super Monkey Ball.

Posted by Dexter

I'm still debating on Monkey Ball. I love the old ones. I have a feeling that they give me all the Monkey Balls I need.

Posted by Slade

/is late to the thread

Sweet Jesus that trailer was cool. I can't wait to get to the water part, or to roam the towns, or to... ah everything is going to be so fun.

That intro sucked pretty bad, though. There was about a five minute space between when I watched the intro and the trailer, and during that time I wasn't hyped up about the game at all. But I guess the intro of a game doesn't need to hype you up at all because you already bought it.

Posted by Ant

I thought it was very elegant. it's the type of game that doesn't need or should even have a glitzy intro.

Posted by Dexter

I like the calm opening myself. I think I already mentioned how it is similar Ocarina and I never complained about that opening. It is supposed to be a bit mystical, not turbulant or exciting.

See, OoT had a ****ing awesome intro. Maybe because it was more epic. And besides the last bit, I just wasn't impressed with TP's. It was like OoT, but on a lesser scale.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: See, OoT had a ****ing awesome intro. Maybe because it was more epic. And besides the last bit, I just wasn't impressed with TP's. It was like OoT, but on a lesser scale.

I would have to agree with you, the TP one is not as special as the OoT one. Im not sure why it felt more epic, but it just did. Could be that it felt more epic because you understand the journey after the you beat it or some thing.

But meh, it wont matter much anywyas, 99.9% of the time we just click as soon as it says start. So no real harm to Ninty.

Quoted post: Could be that it felt more epic because you understand the journey after the you beat it or some thing.

Nope. I remember playing the game for the first time and watching the whole intro and thinking "wow." It was literally more epic, in length and in scope. You saw pretty much every location and it went on for quite awhile. TP does not do any of that,

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I can't wait for the new Zelda! I'm getting a job just so I can buy a Wii before Christmas.

Posted by Bebop

Im very excited about the downloadable content announced for the Wii version. It will make the game last even longer.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7458

cutscene. Possible spoilers.

Posted by Ant

Zelda has a pretty hot bod.

Posted by Big Boss

The toughest reviewers do it once again. GameSpot gives it an 8.8.

[quote]"Wii-specific elements feel tacked on"

No surprise there. Nintendo used its most popular, cherished franchise, specifically its most anticipated entry in the history of the series, and used it by bringing it to a system for the main purpose of making the Wii more attractive at launch ("I told you so" doesn't seem so satisfying here). Oh, well, it's still a smart business move from Nintendo, because that's what they're about. It’s just like any other company.

I bet some people are happy that they chose to wait for the GCN version. At any rate, as long as the originally GCN-intended core game remained untouched as a result of a business-intended port, I'll be happy.

Posted by Ant

Haha, how come he's the only one to complain about it? Perhaps he was too stupid to know how to use it correctly?

Quoted post: I bet some people are happy that they chose to wait for the GCN version.

I know I am.

Posted by Ant

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/AntmanMadness/FinalDay.jpg[/IMG]

Well, for people buying the Wii version anyways :-D