Raising Minimum Wages is stupid

Posted by Random

Woohoo for the minimum waged people.. Now people like me who make more than minimum wage won't have as much value to my dollar. Not only that but prices will go up everywhere.. This lowers the value of the dollar and doesn't do jack **** for people like myself. You raise minimum wage only to shortly have prices rise to. So whats the point in raising minimum wage? Theres no real good point. My Pay won't go up because of it and yet i'll have to fight with higher costs..

Thank jesus for raising the minimum wage (Sarcasim)..

Stupid mofo politicians..

Posted by Pit

You're complaining because we're getting more money?

Posted by Random

Quoting Pit: You're complaining because we're getting more money?

I guess apparently you don't get it.. YES you get more money BUT... PRICES ON WHAT YOU BUY WILL GO UP. Thusly cancelling it out. The American dollar will have less value and those of us who make more than Minimum Wage get F***ed over because our wages won't go up but prices will..

Do you comprehend?

Posted by Pit

I understood. I don't see the sense in your argument.

Had minimum wage was to stay the same, prices would go up and we'd be getting paid the same wages, meaning it'd be harder for us to acquire whatever items.

However, as prices are going up, we're getting and increase on minimum wage that way we make more money so we end up breaking even, like you said.

So what the **** is your argument!?

Posted by Random

Quoting Pit: I understood. I don't see the sense in your argument.

Had minimum wage was to stay the same, prices would go up and we'd be getting paid the same wages, meaning it'd be harder for us to acquire whatever items.

However, as prices are going up, we're getting and increase on minimum wage that way we make more money so we end up breaking even, like you said.

So what the **** is your argument!?

Yes prices are going up but with companies having to pay their workers "More" money, that'll increase prices "MORE."

Therefore people like me who make more than minimum wage won't earn extra money due to this bump in minimum wage and prices will increase..

My complain is A) Our dollar will be worth less and B) IT WONT HELP ANY.. infact if anything it'll screw your middle class over..

Posted by Fei-on Castor

The current minimum wage is not liveable. You can't get by on it. People who are forced to live on it also get foodstamps and state funded health care. That costs us money too.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Fei-on Castor]The current minimum wage is not liveable. You can't get by on it. People who are forced to live on it also get foodstamps and state funded health care. That costs us money too.

That's true, but what he's saying is that the new minimum wage is also going to become not liveable due to price increases.

therefore, i believe random should stop whining and learn to manage money

Posted by Random

Quoting Stalolin: That's true, but what he's saying is that the new minimum wage is also going to become not liveable due to price increases.

therefore, i believe random should stop whining and learn to manage money

I have a right to whine.. Everyone who makes more than Minimum wage has a right.. We're the ones getting screwed over it.. The people making minimum wage won't make a gain by any means but they won't take a loss like us..

Why shouldn't I complain? Whoever passed this bill is a moron and deserves to be put in a torture chamber..

Its tough enough the way it is in life but to have to have my money worth less will make it tougher. I have a **** good reason to be ****ed..

Posted by Arwon

You're wrong, Random. You would've been partially right in 1975, but the nearly automatic link between rising wages and inflation has been effectively broken by 30 years of economic reforms. Rising wages are not the cause of inflation, the impact will be negligible.

The effect of lower-end labour costs on inflation is minimal these days. Demand-pull (people want to buy lots of things, unemployment is low, prices go up) is the primary cause of inflation in the modern developed world, not cost-push (costs of production go up through higher wages or oil prices or whatever, prices get raised to compensate).

Average real wages in the USA have scarcely risen since the 1970s, to claim that a small and overdue rise in the minimum wages is going to be a cause of crippling inflation is perverse business-lobby propaganda. The primary culprit is continued high consumption, ie, demand.

Posted by mis0

14 MILLION people are in POVERTY or are HOMELESS because minimum wage laws don't provide a liveable wage. Not working full time, not even working overtime. "Waa prices on things will increase". No, they won't. You know why? TAX INCENTIVES will go away to punish companies who gouge.

Random, get a fukken clue before you post stupid **** on this forum. You have a right to complain, sure, but when you're being a moron, you can just shove it.

If you're what being conservative is about (ie: fukking over 14 million people) well you sure have a lot to be proud of!

Posted by Random

Wow ok Arwon a few months after Minimum Wages go up and prices do too then we'll probably discuss this again. Corporate companies retarded. They're not going to dish out more money and yet not raise their prices. They wouldn't dare lose a nice sized profit. Businesses exist to make money. They don't intend on handing over money without raising some prices.

Trust me on this.. I mean I could be wrong and companies could go and lose millions over it.. What do I know? I don't seem to have any common sense what so ever rofl...

Oh wait I still don't see why "I" and other Middle Class people who make more than minimum wage shouldn't be ****ed. I mean hell.. The value of the dollar is now less.. So my paychecks are really worth less.. Splendid!

Miso.. Yeah I understand its hard for people to live on minimum wage. Don't get me wrong.. Thats why you find a better job.. I mean why not? Sure it sucks but raising the minimum wage will raise prices.. Not everything will rise right away but it'll come and then they'll raise minimum wage again someday only to prove that it didn't work before.

I've gone through some hard financial times trust me, but I find ways to live. If it meant getting another job working 13 hours a day 7 days a week or if it meant doing simple errands to make extra cash on the side it was done. People can survive on minimum wage or at least adapt how to. I don't see why we have to destroy our economy for something that won't make a significant difference if any difference in the long run.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Random:
Miso.. Yeah I understand its hard for people to live on minimum wage. Don't get me wrong.. Thats why you find a better job.. I mean why not? Sure it sucks but raising the minimum wage will raise prices.. Not everything will rise right away but it'll come and then they'll raise minimum wage again someday only to prove that it didn't work before.

I've gone through some hard financial times trust me, but I find ways to live. If it meant getting another job working 13 hours a day 7 days a week or if it meant doing simple errands to make extra cash on the side it was done. People can survive on minimum wage or at least adapt how to. I don't see why we have to destroy our economy for something that won't make a significant difference if any difference in the long run.

Are you stupid? I just told you! Working 40+ hours a week for $5.15/hr DOESN'T WORK. Think about it - an apartment costs $500-600/mo in many urbanish areas where most people in poverty live, then they have to buy food, clothes, maybe pay bus fare, not to mention having any sort of health-care (it ALL comes out of pocket) or a phone/car/etc.

These people aren't lazy. They live in bad places with bad education opportunities which thusly set them up to live in the same bad area working a bad job because that's the only type of job availible and they don't have the skills to get a better job anyway.

Remember, the Algiers story (pull yourself up by your bootstraps) is about a 5th generation Harvard graduate. Most of the 14 million people in poverty don't have bootstraps.

If you still don't get it, you need to take an introductory economics class, and then a sociology class. Believe me, it is simply barely possible to get by on $5.15/hr. And 14 million of this counties 300 million living BELOW the poverty line, not to mention those at or slightly above it, are not a bunch of flukes or failures. Roughly 10% of our nations citizens are being shortchanged by the government with their miserable standards so companies can make billions upon billions and increase the disparity between the rich and poor even more.

If you're stupid enough to get angry about taking some money from the filthy rich and putting it in the hands of the poor so they can have FOOD and SHELTER, then you are sub-human. The dollar is weak for many reasons; minimum wage increases are not amoung them.

Posted by Random

Quoting Misoxeny: Are you stupid? I just told you! Working 40+ hours a week for $5.15/hr DOESN'T WORK. Think about it - an apartment costs $500-600/mo in many urbanish areas where most people in poverty live, then they have to buy food, clothes, maybe pay bus fare, not to mention having any sort of health-care (it ALL comes out of pocket) or a phone/car/etc.

These people aren't lazy. They live in bad places with bad education opportunities which thusly set them up to live in the same bad area working a bad job because that's the only type of job availible and they don't have the skills to get a better job anyway.

Remember, the Algiers story (pull yourself up by your bootstraps) is about a 5th generation Harvard graduate. Most of the 14 million people in poverty don't have bootstraps.

If you still don't get it, you need to take an introductory economics class, and then a sociology class. Believe me, it is simply barely possible to get by on $5.15/hr. And 14 million of this counties 300 million living BELOW the poverty line, not to mention those at or slightly above it, are not a bunch of flukes or failures. Roughly 10% of our nations citizens are being shortchanged by the government with their miserable standards so companies can make billions upon billions and increase the disparity between the rich and poor even more.

If you're stupid enough to get angry about taking some money from the filthy rich and putting it in the hands of the poor so they can have FOOD and SHELTER, then you are sub-human. The dollar is weak for many reasons; minimum wage increases are not amoung them.

No I don't think you get it. You Raise Minimum wage, prices go up. Food, Medicine, Heating, Electric etc. Thusly our little minimum wage effects prices going up. $5.15 sure as hell probably sucks but uping it will only transfer prices to go up would it not?

It seriously doesn't make sense to raise it..

Don't get me wrong. I semi feel bad for those who are poorly educated.
But the Gov't takes care of them. Theres all kinds of gov't programs. I know people who work for minimum wage and they get by. They get food stamps and what not.

You don't need to kill our economy and make our dollar worth less. All it'll do is add Middle Class workers such as myself to the poor list because the dollar will be worth less. So instead of having a bunch of struggling un educated people, you'll simply have well educated people struggling as well.

Whats this "They don't have better skills to get another job" crap? Ohhh poor Johnny, he was poorly uneducated so he isn't able to move boxes in a storage facility making $7.00 an hour vs $5.15...

There are a lot of jobs out there.. People can adapt. I don't want to hear that "People are poorly uneducated crap." Thats their fault if they didn't finish high school and its the states fault if the High School didn't teach him jack ****.

Sorry i'm just a wee bit agrivated. I don't see why I have to struggle now with this b.s. when it shouldn't even affect me. Just look at the bigger picture. I don't think you quite see where i'm coming from yet. Maybe a few months after everything happens you'll realize.

Let me ask you this Miso.. Do you work? If so where and how much do you get paid? I'll make it a little easier for you.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I liked the part where Random completely ignored Arwon's posts with speculation and "trust me"s and then that was it. I make more than minimum wage, but I don't get some jealous stick up my *** when joe schmoe at mcdonald's can afford to put more than 5 dollars' worth of gas in his hoopdee. It's cool. After law school I'll look at random down the barrel of my nose and hope he gets impovershed into a crack house or something. Because then I'll be better than him, and can call anything that benefits him stupid. That'll be neat.

Posted by Arwon

Oh for f*cks sake Random, learn some basic economics or shut the hell up. Firstly, prices rise anyway. America's annual inflation rate is something like 3 or 4 percent. EVERY YEAR PRICES GO UP. THAT'S INFLATION.

Hey, guess what? Australia has REGULAR MINIMUM WAGE INCREASES every other year or so. Business lobbies scream about it and the f*ckwits in governments talk doom. We have a much higher minimum wage than America. And our economy is stronger than yours in many ways. We have a lower unemployment rate, much less of a "working poor" and things are going alright. A rising minimum wage does not destroy an economy. Now, if it was hiked to like 40 dollars then that would do damage, but incrimental increases roughly in line with basic cost of living and inflationary expectations are not a bad thing.

Will an incrimental minimum wage rise push prices up excessively? No. I'm not in the US so I haven't seen, but I'm assuming "WAGE RISES WILL RAISE PRICES" has been a Fox News/Republican Party/talkback radio talking point recently. It's good politics, because if you appeal to the traditional middle class fear of the poor like that you can get them to forget about page boys and wartime incompetence and corruption scandals and stuff.

At any rate, the idea being presented is attributing way too much influence to wages and totally misunderstanding how markets work. Firstly, wages aren't the only cost. Follow this carefully: WAGE COSTS ARE JUST ONE COST AMONG MANY. For example, oil costs are rising far far faster (as are liability insurance costs), they are a far bigger influence over prices than the cost of minimum wage employees. Wages have gone up a few percent in a decade. How much have oil (and thus transportation and manufacturing expenses) costs risen in this time? Which is the bigger pressure on companies?

Secondly, you're acting like "companies" are one big conspiratorial group plotting to screw you over. What're you, a f*cking communist? I love this, I'm lecturing the "conservative" about how markets work and why companies don't set out to be evil.

One word: competition.

Companies act as individual entities. Not as a single group BEING EVIL AND OMG SCREWING YOU OVER. When company A raise their prices, they become less competitive. If company B decides not to raise their prices, they become more competitive versus company A. Companies balance the need to cover costs against the need to be competitive. In an environment where there's OMG LOTS OF COMPANIES they can't all decide to raise their prices simulteneously because markets don't work like that (and there's laws against collusion like that), those that do raise them excessively will get out-competed by those who don't.

Only in an environment where all wages and prices are set by a single central body will a rise in wages be automatically transmitted into equivalent inflation. This is kind of what happened in the 70s when more centrally determined prices and incomes created the wage-price spiral that occurred.

Some companies will have slightly increased production costs as a result of having to lift their human resources budget by a few percent. Some will choose to defray those costs with price rises, others won't bother. Some are for the wage increase, because employees who can afford to feed, house and clothe themselves are healthier and work harder and thus more productive (and if this company knows their competitors all have to raise prices too, it means they can get this increase without losing relative competitiveness).

These incremental price rises won't wipe out the gains by the bottom end of the labour pool. They won't "ruin the economy" or any of the other baseless dramatics you've been screaming about. Price rises might eat a small percentage of the gains (inflation eats a few percent of the value of a dollar each year anyway), but they won't wipe the gains at the bottom out. That's delusional propaganda by a business-dominated poor-hating Republican party.

As for the whining about gains at the bottom end making your pay worth less relative to them, that's just tough sh*t. You're not worried about your dollar being worth less, you're worried about the poor you consider yourself so superior to being raised closer to your level. Every post you make drips with contempt for those at the bottom and maybe a touch of the classic "middle class" fear of the poor. That's what galls you. So tough sh*t.

If you don't like your working conditions, get a new job, or go join or form a union and lobby for your own bloody price rise. Grow a spine. Go be a self-helping individualist capitalist free market loving conservative, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and stop blaming the government for your problems. *** I hate the whinging middle class false sense of entitlement. Suck it up. You sure love telling the poor to cop it on the chin, so stop being a hypocrite.

Posted by mis0

I'm going to let you know right now you've made me angry, Random. Why? Because you're being blantantly stupid, almost vulgarly so. Now, I will do a bit-by-bit (shit-by-shit?) analysis of why you're wrong.

Quoting Random: No I don't think you get it.
WRONG. I do get it, and I have the educational backround to suggest that I do. You don't.

[quote]You Raise Minimum wage, prices go up. Food, Medicine, Heating, Electric etc. Thusly our little minimum wage effects prices going up. $5.15 sure as hell probably sucks but uping it will only transfer prices to go up would it not?
WRONG. NO, no they don't. Prices are influenced by a myriad of factors, and the wage paid factor is just one, and not really a major one anyway.

[quote]It seriously doesn't make sense to raise it..
WRONG. Unless you hate the poor or are retarded, you'd realize that there are only benefits to be reaped across the board. A lower class that can support itself to a greater degree means a more functional one, but besides that, it's basically an issue of "do we, the richest nation, want 30 million (10%) of our population in poverty?" No, and if you do, I wish poverty upon you.

[quote]Don't get me wrong. I semi feel bad for those who are poorly educated.
But the Gov't takes care of them. Theres all kinds of gov't programs. I know people who work for minimum wage and they get by. They get food stamps and what not.
WRONG. The government does not take care of our poorest citizens. You can only get foodstamps if you have a permanent address, and for the 14 million living below the poverty line, they may not have a place to live every month. It isn't a problem of hundreds, or thousands not recieving assistance. It's MILLIONS. The same can be said for any social programme. Furthermore, these people can't even help themselves because one government mandate that could really help them, the minimum wage law, is set so low that it's disgraceful. YOU try living on $5.15 and hour without any help from mom & dad, without any existing savings, without any assitance from friends, and no compassion from the public. Tell me if it's posssible. It's not, and 14 million people find themselves struggling in this ****hole EVERY DAY.

[quote]You don't need to kill our economy and make our dollar worth less.
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. IT DOES'NT YOU IGNORAMOUS.

[quote]All it'll do is add Middle Class workers such as myself to the poor list because the dollar will be worth less. So instead of having a bunch of struggling un educated people, you'll simply have well educated people struggling as well.
Not only is this statement essentially WRONG from an economic standpoint, it shows your true, poor-hating colors!

[quote]Whats this "They don't have better skills to get another job" crap? Ohhh poor Johnny, he was poorly uneducated so he isn't able to move boxes in a storage facility making $7.00 an hour vs $5.15...
You're WRONG. The areas with such a poor-breeding dynamic don't have enough of these jobs for the people who don't have an education because you just assumed that the "gov't would take care of them." DON'T YOU GRASP THAT THEY'RE NOT SMALL INDIVIDUAL ISSUES, BUT RATHER A CYCLE OF DETRIMENTAL DYNAMICS? No, you don't. You just hate those who have little or nothing because you percieve yourself as better than them.

[quote]There are a lot of jobs out there..
WRONG.

[quote]People can adapt.
Adapt to what? A society that specifically makes it nearly impossible for them to get by? Not being able to afford ANY medical care? Not being able to afford a place to LIVE? Not having transportation to the few places they could WORK? Having nearly NO OPPORTUNITY for their children to have a BETTER EDUCATION or FUTURE? To living on THE STREETS? To living on a mere few CENTS A DAY?

Could you adapt to that? No. It's WRONG and it DOESN'T WORK.

Statistics do not lie, and 14 MILLION PEOPLE IN LIVING IN POVERTY ISN'T A RESULT OF ANYTHING THAT COULD BE CALLED "THEIR FAULT".

[quote]I don't want to hear that "People are poorly uneducated crap."
Because it's TRUE? Because you don't want to be WRONG? What the Hell is wrong with you? FACTS ARE FACTS.

[quote]Thats their fault if they didn't finish high school and its the states fault if the High School didn't teach him jack ****.
It's primarily the governments fault, PERIOD.

[quote]Sorry
As you should be.

[quote]i'm just a wee bit agrivated. I don't see why I have to struggle now with this b.s. when it shouldn't even affect me. Just look at the bigger picture. I don't think you quite see where i'm coming from yet. Maybe a few months after everything happens you'll realize.
yeah, when some positive change happens, I'll realise I was fighting for the right thing. I know I'm right because I have a good education to deduct this stuff from. Stop listening to Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. They don't have any idea of how economics, and certainly not social systems, work in the least. GO TO SCHOOL/COLLEGE, feell bad about being wrong, move on.

[quote]Let me ask you this Miso.. Do you work? If so where and how much do you get paid? I'll make it a little easier for you.

i don't see how this is relavant in the least, but I work in an office doing clerical stuff primarily, and I make roughly $8bux/hr before taxes. It's barely enough to pay the bills as a commuting student.

Posted by Bebop

Seems unfair to keep minimum wage static if prices go up. Thats just the final insult of someone getting minimum wage anyway.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I make $6.50 an hour PLUS commision, and still i have to live at home. If I wanted a place of my own, I'd have to get at least one more full time job.

The current wage is unliveable.

Posted by Iris

Michigan's minimum wage just went up recently. Our prices are yet to be affected. A minimum wage increase isn't going to do anything other than cause some possible lay-offs, not mass inflation for all companies paying minimum wage to its workers.

Stop making threads in here, Random.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I make thirty bucks an hour and still hesitant to get my own place, simply because the cost of living is insane in the parts I want to live. I can't imagine what it's like for someone trying to live on seven dollars an hour.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Misoxeny]WRONG. Unless you hate the poor or are retarded, you'd realize that there are only benefits to be reaped across the board. A lower class that can support itself to a greater degree means a more functional one, but besides that, it's basically an issue of "do we, the richest nation, want 30 million (10%) of our population in poverty?" No, and if you do, I wish poverty upon you.

Newsflash! We are no longer the richest nation!!! The United States used to be the worlds largest creditor. Now, we are the world's largetst debtor! This nation is sinking so far into debt, that we don't even know how to get out. And, honestly, I don't think we ever will. Sure, you see people driving around in their new Mustangs or Hummers. And their house may be valued at $400,000. And they may have a nice plasma tv too. This is the biggest common missconception that the US is rich. Well, we aren't! We don't own those things. We buy them on credit!. We sill owe money for those things, and until they are paid off, we don't own them! Almost nobody in this country can even call themselves a home owner. The bank owns the house and we are virtually slaves to them untill we pay them off. The overall value of the dollar is falling, and has been for many years. So many different countries rely and depend on the USD (U.S. dollar) holding its value. Many things, including gold, silver, and oil, are measured in $US. How much longer will this be so? Not much, is my best guess.

Inflation is caused by so many things. Sure, the increase in the minimum wage doesn't help. But, that's not the main cause of it. The main cause was abandoning gold and silver as a standard which backs our currency! Without that, all the Fed has to do is print more money. Once they do that, the value of the 'almighty' dollar drops. The only way to crush inflation is to raise interest rates. And doing that right now would send us into something that would make the Great Depression look like a walk in the park. The only thing the US can do is inflate until the dollar is worthless. And, Hell, they don't even have to print it. They can create it electronically with a few simple key strokes! Does anyone here know what the M3 is?

Quoted post: The most common measures are named M0 (narrowest), M1, M2, and M3. In the United States they are defined by the Federal Reserve as follows:

M0: The total of all physical currency, plus accounts at the central bank which can be exchanged for physical currency.
M1: M0 + the amount in demand accounts ("checking" or "current" accounts).
M2: M1 + most savings accounts, money market accounts, and certificate of deposit accounts (CDs) of under $100,000.
M3: M2 + all other CDs, deposits of eurodollars and repurchase agreements.
As of March 23, 2006, information regarding M3 will no longer be published by the Federal Reserve. The other three money supply measures will continue to be provided in detail. On March 7th, 2006, Congressman Ron Paul introduced H.R. 4892 in an effort to reverse this change.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_supply#United_States"]Source.[/URL]

So, basically, the Fed (FYI, the Fed is a separate entity from the US Government. Think "privatly owned business") knows we're screwed and they can't do a **** thing about it. All they can do is try to hide the fact. The topic of this thread, whether realized by everyone else or not, branches out way farther than the simple topic of minimum wage. I could easily type out a ten page report for you guys on the subject of inflation. But, I doubt many of you will even read through it all or appreciate the time and effort I put into it. Therefor, I will merely provide a few good links with some great reading material on the subject. If you want to read through them, great! If not, please don't bring uneducated arguments (opinions based on nothing!) to the table, as you are all idiots for doing so.

But, before I provide the links, I will say this: Heh....have fun reading this one kids![/URL]

[URL="http://minneapolisfed.org/research/data/us/calc/"]Just for fun, an inflation calculator! :D [/URL]

[URL="http://www.bls.gov/bls/inflation.htm"]U.S. Department of Labor[/URL]

[URL="http://www.silverstockreport.com/"]This is a good link that deals a little with inflation and how to hedge yourself against it. Good stuff.[/URL]

Edit for reply to this complete ignorant (notice I said ignorant, not stupid) post.

Quoting Iris: Michigan's minimum wage just went up recently. Our prices are yet to be affected.

Protip: It's a delayed effect.

[QUOTE=Iris]A minimum wage increase isn't going to do anything other than cause some possible lay-offs, not mass inflation for all companies paying minimum wage to its workers.

OK, so say it doesn't cause inflation, and just lay-offs. How does that help the poverty level of our country? And don't forget about the all popular outsourcing!

Posted by Arwon

Boner, when every country in the world experiences inflation it's far less of a big deal because relative values are still approximately the same. Inflation is not, in itself, a bad thing because money has no inherent value, but only relative value.

[quote]The overall value of the dollar is falling, and has been for many years. So many different countries rely and depend on the USD (U.S. dollar) holding its value. Many things, including gold, silver, and oil, are measured in $US. How much longer will this be so? Not much, is my best guess.

Actually, it's a common misconception that a strong currency is good and a weak currency is bad. It's more complex than that. When a currency is too strong, your exports are less competitive. Your trade deficit rises. This is the reason countries like China keep their currencies low instead of floating them--better for exports. The "strong US dollar" policy was unsustainable in many ways, and what exactly is wrong with a system where the currency floats freely on international exchange markets?

Also:

[quote]Raising the minimum wage helps nothing! It creates a mere illusion that thinks will be better for those that see the increase. Higher wages lead to higher exspenses for a company, which leads to them having to charge a higher price for goods and services to maintain a profit. This will either end up in higher costs for the consumer (remember, minimum wage earning people are consumers too!) or OMG STEALING OUR JOBS

Does nobody read my posts? Didn't I just point out that Australia has minimum wage rises without increased inflation levels? Didn't I just point out why this idea is flawed because of markets of competing companies, and the impact of other costs of production and stuff? Sure, you're going to have a fraction of the gains wiped out by inflation, but the erosion of wage value happens anyway and even with an inflation rate of 10% (a ludicrously high estimate) 90% of the gains from a wage increase still remain.

In economies that have natural inflation, ie, ALL OF THEM, regular incrimental minimum age increases are a must. What alternative, exactly, are you kooks proposing? Let the wages erode into oblivion?

And oh ***, not the "furriners are stealing our jobs" thing again. COMPARATIVE ADVANTAGE you selfish prats. Go do the things you can afford to do. And while you're at it, drop those bloody farm subsidies so you stop screwing up the third world.

Posted by Bebop

I couldnt take Arwon's post seriously because of the first word. HA HA!

Posted by Arwon

Hah.

Posted by Boner

Here's a good link for you, Arwon. And, yes, inflation is bad. It is very bad and highly dishonest. And almost everyones' brain is programed to think it's "ok". I know of no currency in the history of man that was not backed by gold and/or silver that have survied, nor the economies that used them. Keep in mind that the world currencies used today are still fairly young by comparison. These is still plenty of time for them to disolve.

[URL="http://www.gata.org/node/4466"]http://www.gata.org/node/4466[/URL]

Oh, and...

[URL="http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1162170540.php"]The US Constitution and honest money.[/URL]

Edit: Oh, and one more thing! I know of no savings account, beit CDs, bonds, or otherwise, that keeps up with the rate of inflation. Hence, the value of our money, even when earning interest, is going down hill.

Posted by CynicalBastard

Since it seems like the common trends are "Hate random for spouting ignorance" and "Get angry because Random hates the poor," I'll add a few cents (maybe less, with taxes taken out) from the point of view of those crazy "legalize the sidewalk" (this still strikes me as funny, partly because its true) libertarians (read: I'm not saying I completely agree with them).

From the beginning, we have been looking at this from the point of view of "the many," so to speak. That is to say, the impoverished who need more money to make ends meet. But when I was reading each parties' platform (as I always do before arguing any issue) the Libertarians brought up an interesting point that I hadn't even bothered to think about. That is: what about the people who run the businesses whom the minimum wage is imposed upon? According to them, (The libertarians) the minimum wage is an unfair infringement of the business' right to operate as they see fit, and that the free market would regulate what fair wages are. Now, to some of you, this may just show that libertarians know nothing about economics, but before you jump to such conclusions, consider that they have a point. Now if you're somebody who believes in doing the most good for the most number of people, feel free to disagree, but I believe (and I think this is one of Random's points) that everyone should be taken into account when considering people in general. The point that I thought the libertarians had, was that the people who run the businesses are people too, and they have to be considered when passing a law. Is it too much to ask that a company pay a decent wage that can be adjusted to help people make a decent living? Perhaps only in principle, but I do also agree that there would be at least one company out there who would pay decently if the government took its hands off. It comes back to what Arwon said: Competition. As long as one company in the area pays decently, all the other companies will have to raise their wages to a decent amount to compete with the others. Ideally, this would occur until it reached a point that the businesses could no longer afford to pay their workers any higher, and people would make more money for their jobs. Of course, I'm not sure if this would happen, seeing as the free market has never been given a chance to operate on its own, without government interference, but what the hell, I'm not even saying I completely agree with the libertarians on this one.

If you are a utilitarian or socialist of any sort, and didn't find any water in the previous arguments, another point I stumbled across while looking up the topic quite a while ago, was the idea that increases in minimum wage could reduce overall employment. I can't explain it as well as this site: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mert2049/politics/blair-minimumwage.shtml so I won't attempt to.

Alright, time to be made a fool of by Arwon's evil, evil logic.

*Braces self*

Posted by Boner

Quoting CynicalBastard:

*Braces self*

It doesn't sting as much as you think. I hardly felt his last post.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting CynicalBastard: Since it seems like the common trends are "Hate random for spouting ignorance" and "Get angry because Random hates the poor," I'll add a few cents (maybe less, with taxes taken out) from the point of view of those crazy "legalize the sidewalk" (this still strikes me as funny, partly because its true) libertarians (read: I'm not saying I completely agree with them).

From the beginning, we have been looking at this from the point of view of "the many," so to speak. That is to say, the impoverished who need more money to make ends meet. But when I was reading each parties' platform (as I always do before arguing any issue) the Libertarians brought up an interesting point that I hadn't even bothered to think about. That is: what about the people who run the businesses whom the minimum wage is imposed upon? According to them, (The libertarians) the minimum wage is an unfair infringement of the business' right to operate as they see fit, and that the free market would regulate what fair wages are. Now, to some of you, this may just show that libertarians know nothing about economics, but before you jump to such conclusions, consider that they have a point. Now if you're somebody who believes in doing the most good for the most number of people, feel free to disagree, but I believe (and I think this is one of Random's points) that everyone should be taken into account when considering people in general. The point that I thought the libertarians had, was that the people who run the businesses are people too, and they have to be considered when passing a law. Is it too much to ask that a company pay a decent wage that can be adjusted to help people make a decent living? Perhaps only in principle, but I do also agree that there would be at least one company out there who would pay decently if the government took its hands off. It comes back to what Arwon said: Competition. As long as one company in the area pays decently, all the other companies will have to raise their wages to a decent amount to compete with the others. Ideally, this would occur until it reached a point that the businesses could no longer afford to pay their workers any higher, and people would make more money for their jobs. Of course, I'm not sure if this would happen, seeing as the free market has never been given a chance to operate on its own, without government interference, but what the hell, I'm not even saying I completely agree with the libertarians on this one.

If you are a utilitarian or socialist of any sort, and didn't find any water in the previous arguments, another point I stumbled across while looking up the topic quite a while ago, was the idea that increases in minimum wage could reduce overall employment. I can't explain it as well as this site: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mert2049/politics/blair-minimumwage.shtml so I won't attempt to.

*Braces self*

The fact that america workers had to fight, bleed, and die for some sort of fair wages at the turn of the last century disagrees with you. Given free reign, those with the means of production generally seek to make the most money for themselves.

Posted by CynicalBastard

**** you U.S. history; prove me wrong no more!

Posted by Arwon

Why is inflation inherently bad? What special value does money have that you can say "this banana is rightfully worth $1" ... the concept has no meaning because the value of that dollar only exists relative to real tangible things, things like rents, wages, the costs of other goods, and so forth. Money has no intrinsic value except as a medium of exchange... if both prices and income go up by a few percent, it basically evens out.

Oh ***, you're one of those gold standard kooks.

Le sigh.

Currencies backed by the gold standard collapsed in 1929. The post-war Bretton Woods System backed by the gold standard collapsed in 1971. The gold standard is certainly not foolproof.

An internnational Gold standards system such as Bretton Woods has been shown to be unstable, and if you're propising returning to the Gold Standard in one country, a fixed rate of exchange and fixed money supply, this creates massive problems. It means fiscal and monetary policy is really really inflexible--you certainly can't protect yourself from inflation and depression elsewhere in the world, and you can't increase money supply in times of downturn to stimulate economic growth. The tendency, then, is for downturns to be intensified.

Moreover, belief that the Gold Standard provides currency stability requires the belief that money supply is the only cause of inflation and thus to prevent inflation you only have to limit supply of money. Which isn't true. Or rather, its consequences in terms of massive recessions and austerity measures and so forth, aren't worth it.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that the US currency as basis for reserves and as an anchor currency is flawed, but returning to a system of fixed exchange rates decreed by governments and set in terms of gold is not a good idea. Countries retaining gold as a hard liquid asset--that seems like a good idea, but tying money supply to those assets? Nah.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting CynicalBastard: Since it seems like the common trends are "Hate random for spouting ignorance" and "Get angry because Random hates the poor," I'll add a few cents (maybe less, with taxes taken out) from the point of view of those crazy "legalize the sidewalk" (this still strikes me as funny, partly because its true) libertarians (read: I'm not saying I completely agree with them).

*Braces self*

Increases in minimum wage can theoretically reduce overall employment. The theory is sound, the graph is convincing, but the thing is, it never gets represented in terms of quantative data so it's hard to know where the tipping points are. We know that ramping the bottom wage up fourfold would drive people out of jobs, but incrimentally increasing it roughly in line with other costs? No evidence whatsoever that this has more than the slightest of effects. Experience in this country (which has a minimum wage twice as high as the US, which increases regularly, alongside an unemployment rate lower than America's) tells us that a few % increase isn't going to influence the number of people businesses employ. If you think about it, there are costs attached to hiring or laying off employees (in terms of lost productivity, costs of training, and such) which I suspect dwarf the costs of paying your bottom end employees a few percent more from year to year.

I've also seen the argument from small businesses that they like the centrally determined minimum wage/award wages because it means they don't have to negotiate wages with employees individually, which can be a stressful waste of time. Centralised wage determination means less work for them, less confrontation, and they don't have to worry about workers complaining about their eroding income, because they know it will go up anyway.

Likewise, at the big end, Walmart has occasionally been known to lobby for minimum wage increases. As I referred to earlier, they know if they pay a little more their employees will be happier and probably more productive, certainly less restive... but if they raise their pay unilaterally they lose their competitive edge. A minimum wage rise can circumvent this by forcing all their competitors to raise their low-end labour costs as well.

---

Now as to the libertarian rights issue. You're right, minimum wage laws are an imposition on businessmen running their businesses how they see fit. The thing is, they're basically justified in terms of protecting people and providing practical benefits. Same with Operational Health and Safety Laws, anti-discrimination laws, misleading advertising laws, product labelling laws, and any number of other things which constrain people. The libertarian rights perspective is valuable to keep in mind, it certainly is useful in arguing against many excesses of government... but it's not the only perspective and here, it's less valuable than in other issues.

The main problem with the idea of the free market determining fair wages is that historically, this has been tried and it's led to Dickensian conditions of exploitation at the bottom end. The theoretical concept of a market determining fair wage outcomes requires an equal negotiation between parties, and this assumed condition does not happen in the real world. The concept of companies competing with other companies in terms of production expenses (as I referred to in the earlier post) is very different than the concept of companies competing to attract people from a market of workers looking for the best conditions. The first exists, demonstrably. The second is much tricker. The differentials in power and information access and choice, between low-skill workers, and bosses, are quite large. Bosses are, essentially, in an advantageous position and can get away with paying workers less than what they'd pay under equal negotiations. This is especially the case in non-union environments and in environments involving, say, inexperienced young people, migrants, and so forth.

Now, that's not to say that we need centralised wage determination at ALL levels of employment. That's been tried and it was dumb. That's where we let the market do its thing. But at the bottom end, the practical aim of making sure everyone gets a dignified level of pay outweighs the imposition on businesses. Frankly, if a business can't afford to pay its workers enough so that they can eat, find shelter, and so forth, they probably don't deserve to be in business.

---

I should point out, finally, that I don't think politicians should be setting the minimum wage like happens in the US. It gets too political and easy to misread intentions and stuff. A far better system is establishing a fully independent body to determine the minimum wage, based on submissions from labour and business organisations and a set of criteria such as inflation expectations and cost of living.

Posted by CynicalBastard

I agree with you up until:

Quoting Arwon: Now as to the libertarian rights issue. You're right, minimum wage laws are an imposition on businessmen running their businesses how they see fit. The thing is, they're basically justified in terms of protecting people and providing practical benefits.

Giving people more money is only protecting them in the same way that giving them government-built (read: tax payer built) homes is protecting them. Should the government build homes for people too? Where does it stop?

Other than that, you convinced me.

Posted by Arwon

Well, sort of. We actually do have some public housing here. It's crappy and the neighbourhoods are mostly a bit scary, but we do have it.

Broadly though I'd argue that when you're talking about government interventionism you have to take each situation for what it is, do a cost-benefit analysis (that's why I disagree with libertarianism as an ideological ends in itself but I find the perspective quite valuable and useful as a means). Weigh up the level of imposition, the amount of coersion and limits to freedom required, the practical benefits, the side-effects and consequences. One difference between those two examples is you're involving tax-payers in the case of the latter. Whereas the point of the minimum wage basically involves protecting people with little negotiating power from exploitation, not just "giving them money". I mean, they still have to find and hold a job, don't they?

Posted by Boner

Quoted post: Why is inflation inherently bad?

Hello! Because that makes the value of the paper money worth less! What is the point of having a savings account, CD, or savings bond when it can't keep up with inflation? Why am I forced to repeat myself?

Quoted post: Money has no intrinsic value except as a medium of exchange... if both prices and income go up by a few percent, it basically evens out.

Yeah, it's just too bad that so many other things factor into it than an increas of price and income. If those were the only things that affected inflation, then there would be no need to inflate, correct? Why can't both stay the same? Why inflate at all if those are the only factors? Why? I'll tell you why. The US for year has been borrowing, and is continuing to borrow from other countries. Why are we doing that? Simple. One good reason for it is war. War is expensive. It costs a ton of money. And our current "War on Terror" is no different. How do we pay back our debt? By printing more money, that's how. But, printing enough to "pay our debt" in full would completely collapse it's purchasing power. Other countries are already starting to lose interest in the USD. Oh, and let's not forget about our 'baby boomers' who will be retiring in the next few years and demanding their medical benefits and social security checks. Guess we'll have to print some more money up for them too, causing inflation which will lower their standards of living. Another thing that causes inflation to run rampant is credit, or the creation thereof. The general public is borrowing money to buy beyond their needs. They even refinance their homes to get equity lines of crdit, virtually using their homes as a piggy bank. In order for banks to lend out all this money, it has to be created. This is why raising interest rates helps to lower inflation. It discourages people from needlessly borrowing more, and helps the banks to recover some of that excess cash they created. You can't possibly disagree with that. It's just simple facts. Oh, how I wish it were as simple as income vs. cost. You are blind if you cannot see that this is not the case.

Quoted post: Oh ***, you're one of those gold standard kooks.

I'm not saying we should go back to it. Hell, it's far too late for that now. But you can bet your @ss that i'm investing a little in gold and silver as a hedge against inflation. And FYI, our gold standard didn't collapse. It was abandoned.

Quoted post: Countries retaining gold as a hard liquid asset--that seems like a good idea, but tying money supply to those assets? Nah.

You know why they retain gold? Because it's real money. Unlike the world's fiat paper currencies, it cannot be reproduced. It is what it is. An honest weight and measure. As the value of paper currency drops, it goes up (in terms of dollars). And central banks will periodically dump some on the market to make their paper look stronger.

Quoted post: In economies that have natural inflation, ie, ALL OF THEM, regular incrimental minimum age increases are a must. What alternative, exactly, are you kooks proposing? Let the wages erode into oblivion?

Kook? Me? You're the one calling inflation "natural". 2+2=4 is natural. The Sun rising in the East and setting in the West is natural. Anything that occurs by nature without our doing is natural. There is nothing natural about inflation! Inflation is created essetially by one sole thing....THE PRINTING OF MORE MONEY! How in the hell is that natural?!? It's not! Sure, I can agree that minimum wage raises are a must. But, in the long term, it doesn't do anyone any favors. And I think that if there was an alternative to save us from this sinking economy, someone surely would have thought it up by now.

Quoted post: Didn't I just point out that Australia has minimum wage rises without increased inflation levels?

Kudos to you. You live in a country that isn't up to its @ss in debt like the US. Consider yourself lucky.

Posted by Arwon

Are you talking about national public debt, or private debt? Because you seem to be talking, rather interchangably, about both the federal debt and about household credit debt. I'm not gonna argue the federal debt isn't an issue, because it is, but it's not insurmountable. Countries such as Japan are in far more debt. Australia used to be in a great deal of public debt, a decade or two of budget surplusses has pushed it down. With any luck, a less feckless congress will begin to reduce the US debt as it did under Clinton.

As for household debt, again, that's an issue, but it's not going to destroy the economy. We've got the same problem here, the Australian household is a net borrower, because interest rates have been too low for too long. It'll probably bite a LOT of people in the arse when interest rates get too high for them, but then, that's just what happens.

In either case, inflation occurs even in economies without significant public or private debt levels. Funny that.

"Inflation is created essetially by one sole thing....THE PRINTING OF MORE MONEY!"

No, it's not. You posted a link to the wikipedia article about inflation, try reading it. Money supply is not, in the end, the sole cause of inflation. Inflation is the percentage increase in the cost of things versus a standard baseline year, and in the end, that is not affected only by the money supply. Why do you think the main measure of inflation is the Consumer Price Index? Why do you think people worry so much that rising oil prices will push inflation up? That's an increased cost, that gets transmitted, in part, all over the economy. Hell, if printing more money was the main cause of inflation in 2006 America, why do people think increasing the minimum wage and thus pushing production costs up, will push prices up? Minimum wage has nothing to do with money supply, after all.

Again, if inflation is so awful, why is it that all the world's major economies including the US at 2.7% (and China at 1.5%) have inflation rates between about 1% and 4% CPI change per year? Why does virtually every government and central bank shoot for a target of between 2 and 3% inflation? Could it be because that's about what seems to be healthy?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Boner: I'm not saying we should go back to it. Hell, it's far too late for that now. But you can bet your @ss that i'm investing a little in gold and silver as a hedge against inflation.

I'm investing some Richard Petty Commemorative Plates. I bought two sets because I want to hang one on the wall, and the other will be for Friday Night Keg 'n' Burgers.

I figure these babies won't be going down in value, especially once that old horse kicks the bucket.

My neighbor got Jeff Gordon. Doesn't he know that Jeff Gordon is to Nascar what Wayne Brady is to black people?

In all seriousness, though, the idea of money is simply that; an idea. It's not real or solid in anyway. It's not even consistant, when you look at exchange rates. We are putting so many dollars out there that having them is starting to not mean anything. I support the idea of fair wages for workers, but I think that Wal*Mart will still turn a decent profit paying their employees an extra $1.50/hr, even without raising their prices.

You guys ever notice that nothing at Wal*Mart is ever just a regular price? Every tag on the shelf says "Was: $11.99 Now: $8.34". They always lower it to some random price some place between wholesale and average retail markup.

Perhaps if employers would demonstrate integrity and fair labor practices, it wouldn't be necessary for the federal government to step in and tell them a minimum amount they could pay their employees.

But obviously, any business exists to make money, and you can do a lot of that if you don't pay well. I just think that ethics fits into the scheme, somewhere.

At the grocery store where I work, I make $11.15.hr as a Deli Clerk. I asked a Deli Clerk at a local Super Wal*Mart how much she made, and she said had just gotten a raise to $7.38/hr, after working there for about 18 months. It's weird because with this minimum wage increase, it makes it seem like she didn't even take that big of a step up because they're only increasing the bottom folks.

I see what Random was talking about, but retailers are going to raise prices. I used to run a Burger King here. Our average labor cost, including managers, was $5.51/hr. We had to recalculate the the average labor every month, and when it increased to $5.63, the owner actually raised prices on several of the more popular menu items, by only 40 cents or so, but he did.

Labor is expensive, and when you tell an employer that the 15 year old high school student who takes your order at Burger King is now making as much as the Manager who worked there for several years, you have problems. (And yes, I was the night manager, and I made $6.75/hr. Fast food is so great.)

For most businesses, I'd guess that Labor is the most costly expense. Depending on what business you're running, you have all kinds of overhead. If you don't believe me, just watch a commercial for American Express's Open Card. But typically, paying your people is where you lose money. That, and internal theft (in Burger King's situation)

Even if a company can still turn a substantial profit while at the same time paying their employees a fair wage and keeping their prices, they probably won't, and they'll use the minimum wage hike as an excuse.

Posted by KoH

****... all this logical and passionate debate going around and I've only found out about it now. This makes for good reading material, chums. Keep it up!

Posted by Bebop

Do what Aioros does. Steal money. Then you dont need to worry!

Posted by Random

Yay a Democrat agree's with me. The Middle Class is going to get screwed over this!

The Lower and Upper class will stay the same and the middle class will become the new lower class.

Basically prices will go up (Because business's like earning money) when they have to pay their workers more. So with that other things such as gas and other utilities will also rise. While Minimum wage goes up, the people making more than minimum wage who work for business's will get screwed because their company won't pay them more because they're still above minimum wage and they won't have to worry about it.

THUS SHOWING THERE ARE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE STILL ALIVE..

THIS WONT HELP.. ITLL HURT THE MIDDLE CLASS, HURT THE ECONOMY, AND MAKE LESS BANG FOR OUR BUCK..

kk done

Posted by Arwon

So go get a better job.

Posted by Random

Quoting Arwon: So go get a better job.

Why should I? its a nice job? I don't see why I along with other Middle Class people have to go get screwed.. Why don't people who make minimum wages go get a better job huh? Maybe they should go educate their poorly educated minds.. Maybe the gov't should worry more about education in the first place. Raising minimum wage won't help us. It'll end up hurting us in the end. So whats the point? its stupid..

And if nobody see's this then your obviously a bunch of morons.

Posted by mis0

Like I said, um, TAKE AN ECONOMICS CLASS, then come back here and see if you can argue your stupid banter.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I like how even thought its been shown that raising wages=/= raising prices, he still keeps yelling it like its true.

TRUELY YOU ARE A MASTER DEBATER, SIR.

Posted by CynicalBastard

Random, read Arwon's previous posts on this matter, I believe he addressed the raising minimum wage = raising prices thing.

My only point at this time is that even if we raise the minimum wage, it's still not a livable income, and if we raised it to a point where it is a livable income, companies would either have to fire employees/reduce hours or fold. Businesses (or at least the one's I know of) usually pay their workers based on a percentage of the profit they make. If the wages of workers suddenly went way up, and the profit stayed relatively the same, companies would probably reduce the hours that certain workers work at the very least, to stay competitive.

Basically, it boils down to this (in my mind): If companies suddenly have to pay their workers a LOT more, they will probably start firing employees or reducing the hours that employees work, thus not decreasing poverty (this would probably actually increase the number of people who are jobless, or at the very least, not increase the amount of money made by minimum wage workers). If, however, it is a small increase, the minimum wage is still unlivable, and thus nothing significant has really been accomplished.

*Cue Arwon to come and make a fool of me*

Posted by Random

Quoting Misoxeny: Like I said, um, TAKE AN ECONOMICS CLASS, then come back here and see if you can argue your stupid banter.

ARE YOU RETARDED? IF A COMPANY HAS TO PAY OUT MORE THEYLL RAISE PRICES. SIMPLE AS THAT. PEOPLE WHO MAKE MORE THAN MINIMUM WAGE WONT HAVE THEIR PAY RAISED and THEYLL HAVE LESS BANG FOR THEIR BUCK. EVEN IF THEIR PAY RAISES, PRICES STILL RAISE. SO WHAT HAVE WE? LESS VALUE FOR OUR DOLLAR. JESUS ****ING CHRIST ARE YOU ALL THIS RETARDED? THE ONLY ONE I TIP MY HAT OFF TO IS OPETH (BONER).

Posted by Lord of Spam

ARE YOU RETARDED? IT HAS ALREADY BEEN PROVEN, WITH REAL WORLD DATA, THAT YOU ARE WRONG. THE ENTIRE NATION OF AUSTRALIA HAS YEARLY WAGE HIKES, AND YET THEIR INFLATION IS NOT ANYTHING LIKE THE RAMPANT NIGHTMARE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO TRY TO TAKE THE POSITION THAT ALL AUSTRALIAN COMPANIES ARE NONPROFIT, YOU NEED TO SHUT YOUR ******* MOUTH AND GET A NEW ARGUMENT, YOU STUPID ****ING SACK OF ****. JESUS ****ING CHRIST, ARE YOU SERIOUSLY THAT ******* DENSE?

Posted by mis0

@ Random: Not only are you the "retard", but you're obnoxious too. You're uneducated in a complex subject and you think that wages paid is the primary factor in determining what things cost. And you hate the poor, which is a pretty weak basis for an argument.

So, uh, go fuck yourself. You lost this argument pages ago. Stop trying, idiot.

edit: ninjitsu in here.

Posted by Random

ok.. sure you win.. Companies will lose millions over this and they'll be fine with that. mmmhmmm ok good job guys..

i'm not saying its impossible but highly unlikely. Unless the government pays companies the difference in profit.. Oh wait.. as a nation we're already in debt..

HOW IN THE HELL ARE COMPANIES GOING TO FIX THEIR LOST PROFIT? EXPLAIN SOMEONE?? HOW WOULD PRICES NOT GO UP? YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THE RICH WILL LOSE MONEY OVER THIS? I DOUBT THATLL SLIDE REAL WELL..

Prices will go up. Idc what you say. It won't be right away, but it'll take a little bit of time to change once companies realize their not making the profit that they once did. Thusly the middle class will be screwed.. So explain how the companies won't raise prices mk?

Posted by Random

http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2006/06/the_minimum_wag_1.html

http://www.examiner.com/a-376994~Max_Borders__Five_reasons_not_to_raise_the_minimum_wage.html

Yay read the second one.. I lol'd coz its true... Especially pointing out kids who are going to college. I'm around that age range and we make stupid mistakes because we simply dont' know any better. We're not yet wise enough to realize whats right and whats wrong. That'll hurt many in the long run.

Posted by CynicalBastard

Quoting Random: ok.. sure you win.. Companies will lose millions over this and they'll be fine with that. mmmhmmm ok good job guys..

i'm not saying its impossible but highly unlikely. Unless the government pays companies the difference in profit.. Oh wait.. as a nation we're already in debt..

HOW IN THE HELL ARE COMPANIES GOING TO FIX THEIR LOST PROFIT? EXPLAIN SOMEONE?? HOW WOULD PRICES NOT GO UP? YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THE RICH WILL LOSE MONEY OVER THIS? I DOUBT THATLL SLIDE REAL WELL..

Prices will go up. Idc what you say. It won't be right away, but it'll take a little bit of time to change once companies realize their not making the profit that they once did. Thusly the middle class will be screwed.. So explain how the companies won't raise prices mk?

Companies won't lose their profit, you're correct. But the effect will not be raises in prices (although that happens on a small scale). I was listening to talk radio (I don't often have the stomach for this, but all the same), and caller after caller who owned small businesses were saying that if the minimum wage is increased, they will have to fire employees/reduce the hours employees work. These were mainly small business owners, true, but according to them, they would go out of existence if they didn't cut back on employees (assuming minimum wage is increased). This would be the result of a major increase in minimum wage as far as I see it. So in a way, you're correct Random; companies will compensate for lost profit. But your opponents are also correct that it will not (usually) result in a price raise.

Posted by Random

http://www.examiner.com/a-376994~Max_Borders__Five_reasons_not_to_raise_the_minimum_wage.html

um yeah.. Small business's will fail.. Like my uncles.. Its a small business and it'll flop. He's afraid of that and i'm sure it'll hapen. Its a sad truth. Hes owned it for so long. Its truley sad to see his company go downward because of this bull****.

Large companies can raise prices to offset this but still doesn't help the Middle Class man who makes more than minimum wage. Why would companies pay them more if they don't have to? They simply won't. Thus they will be harmed by the raise. So wouldn't the middle class go downward and perhaps fall into the lower class? So basically we will have more poor people than before. Thusly we fixed nothing and only hurt the economy. Oh and like i've been complaining I'LL HAVE LESS VALUE OUT OF MY DOLLAR AND ITLL BE HARDER FOR "ME" TO GET BY. I have a right to be ****ed.. If you don't care then **** you..

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Random: DUH I HATE THE POOR WOE IS ME

Dude, prices go up anyway. They HAVE BEEN going up. They WILL CONTINUE to go up. That's inflation. Inflation is low right now in America, less than 2% per year. All they're doing is matching minimum wages, the minimum safety net for workers to enable them to get by, which haven't risen in several years, to the increased cost of living.

NOT ALL PRICES WILL GO UP because PRICES ARE NOT TIED SOLELY TO MINIMUM WAGE LABOUR COSTS. Among those that are directly tied to minimum wage labour, COMPETITION AMONG COMPETING COMPANIES TO BE COMPETITIVE limits how much they can raise prices. The slow 2-3% a year rise in prices will continue pretty much as it has done. Your hysterical sense of doom is absurd.

As for higher wage levels... your claim that wages above minimum wage don't rise is also dumb. Wage rises at the bottom have been lagging behind higher level wages for ages. Higher level, more skilled employees' wages rise more easily because companies still need to attract and retain these employees... if they don't, they lose the best workers to other companies. HIGHER WAGES DO RISE, again because of competition between companies.

You are labouring under several crippling misconceptions:

A) all companies act in unison to raise their prices and therefore aren't still competiting to be productive and competitive
B) inflation doesn't happen anyway and is only caused by wages
C) all prices in the economy are tied to minimum wage costs
D) incrimental rises in production costs (labour costs) cause catastrophic inflation
E) economies are a zero-sum game where gains for others happen only at your expense

For these reasons, you are wrong in your doom-mongering, and repeating yourself doesn't make you any more right. We get the idea you're putting forth, but we're illustrating why it's so misguided.

[quote]Why would companies pay them more if they don't have to? They simply won't.

***, you're like the worst conservative ever. Get a different job, it's a free market and a free country... who's forcing you to stay working where you are? Or you could join a union, learn to negotiate your conditions, organise, fight back, claim your rights! Stop being a victim, fight the power, the workers united will never be divided!

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Random: Why should I? its a nice job? I don't see why I along with other Middle Class people have to go get screwed.. Why don't people who make minimum wages go get a better job huh? Maybe they should go educate their poorly educated minds..

I just want to say one thing about this.. You do realize that if everybody did this, and there were no more people to fulfill these "menial" jobs that society would completely stop functioning, right? Look down on these people all you want, but it won't change the fact that we need people to do these jobs for our society to function, and without them, we're screwed.

*walks into completely desolate grocery store*

"Uh, hello?! Anyone here? I'd like to buy some food to feed my family!"

*ghostly figure appears*

"Oh, I'm sorry. All the employees here quit to re-educate themselves and become lawyers."

"Wow, that's rough. Guess I'll try the store down the street."

*walks into empty store down the street*

"Hello?!? Did everyone quit this place too??"

"..Yes. They all decided that these jobs are unnecessary, and went off to med school instead. Why not pick up some McDonalds for your family?"

*walks into desolate McDonalds........*

Just stop and think for awhile about all the other "menial" jobs that we'd be screwed if there were nobody to do them. We need these people, bottom line. And they should at least be able to make enough to support themselves. Telling them they should all just "get better jobs" is unrealistic and kinda dumb.

Posted by Random

What about the high school kids? Theres a grocery store down the road from me that is 90% high school kids and 10% high school drop outs that deserve to be there because they gone and F***ed up.

Kids 16-18 years old can easily fill that. Thats why you see so many young workers at McDonalds. The kids that don't have to rely on money because daddy and mommy still pay for them. A lot of minimum waged workers are the kids and its fine to keep it that way. Like I said they've got mommy and daddy.

And Arwon.. Why should I get a better job? Why don't these Minimum Waged people get better jobs if its a free market eh?

Why would anyone work "MINIMUM"?? Thats so downgrading. You should always set a higher standard for yourself.

Its disguisting that we'll have a lot Middle Class workers who'll be screwed over this so people think they're making more when in all reality after a few months of paying them more, prices will rise faster offsetting what was even DONE!

Hmmm so how much more is the Euro worth nowadays? I might just move away because our Economy is going to ****.

Oh one last thing. Don't give me that bull**** that they can't find "BETTER JOBS" because there are a ton of jobs out there. Bush has the best Jobless rate of any president EVER! So I don't want to hear any B.S.

Oh and besides computers and robots are starting to take over simple jobs like McDonalds and your local grocery stores so whats it matter?

Oh and one last rant.. I know I keep going.. If companies have to pay "us" more, they'll just keep sending their jobs over sea's where they can pay some Mexican, or Indian, or hell even a Bengladeshian to do our work.

So I say suck it, and suck it hard..

Posted by Lord of Spam

"And Arwon.. Why should I get a better job? Why don't these Minimum Waged people get better jobs if its a free market eh? "

Yo do realize that what you are saying is essentially, "No, im not being a big baby, YOURE being a big baby. Go cry baby!" and then, when someone tells you to stop being a big baby, you cry. ****ing moron, if its so easy for them to get a better job, why the hell dont YOU get a better job? See the double standard there? If the middle class is getting screwed over so much then suck it up and work to become upper class. Stop being such a hypocritical pussy and just shut the hell up. You have no valid argument, and even the resident conservative here (bj, for the record) thinks you're such a ******* moron that he would rather have a racist moron back than deal with you.

jesus ****ing christ, trying to get loigic into your head is like trying to talk to bebop.

Posted by Random

Quoting Lord of Spam: "And Arwon.. Why should I get a better job? Why don't these Minimum Waged people get better jobs if its a free market eh? "

Yo do realize that what you are saying is essentially, "No, im not being a big baby, YOURE being a big baby. Go cry baby!" and then, when someone tells you to stop being a big baby, you cry. ****ing moron, if its so easy for them to get a better job, why the hell dont YOU get a better job? See the double standard there? If the middle class is getting screwed over so much then suck it up and work to become upper class. Stop being such a hypocritical pussy and just shut the hell up. You have no valid argument, and even the resident conservative here (bj, for the record) thinks you're such a ******* moron that he would rather have a racist moron back than deal with you.

jesus ****ing christ, trying to get loigic into your head is like trying to talk to bebop.

I'm staying with my company because as of 2007 i've been offered a managerial position so i'm going to make more money. I'm whining and complaining because "I" will have less value for my dollar. I can ****ing complain all I want and I have every right to. Theres no reason why "I" and other people like "me" need to get screwed over.

The Minimum Wage system can consist of High School Students, and drop outs that deserve to make minimum wage. Everybody else can set a higher standard for themselves and can easily get a better job. I've worked my way up and they can too.

You guys still haven't answered what will happen to the small business's. They're going to be crushed.. Many people will lose their jobs over it. It's really risky. I'm not saying raising minimum wage will totally bomb, i'm sure there'll be some success to it but there'll be failure to follow it. So why even raise it? Prices are going up yes, but they'll continue to the point where raising the minimum wage won't have any affect.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Random: I'm staying with my company because as of 2007 i've been offered a managerial position so i'm going to make more money. I'm whining and complaining because "I" will have less value for my dollar. I can ****ing complain all I want and I have every right to. Theres no reason why "I" and other people like "me" need to get screwed over.

You are entitled by the first ammendment to talk about it all you want, just as I am entitled to state my opinion that you are a ******* moron who needs to shut their ****ing mouth unless they learn to think beforehand. Also, do you really not see the hypocrasy in saying "i shouldnt get screwed over, screw over someone else." Also, raising minimum wage isnt the primary cause of inflation. So either you raise it and cause a minimal effect, or you dont raise it, and inflation occurs anyway, at which point the people forced to eek by on it are then ****ed harder than you could ever imagine. You are a moron.

[quote=Raterd-O-Matic]The Minimum Wage system can consist of High School Students, and drop outs that deserve to make minimum wage. Everybody else can set a higher standard for themselves and can easily get a better job. I've worked my way up and they can too.

Once again, if they can work harder, why cant you? You dont want to get ****ed over by being in the middle class? Fine, get educated and become upper class. Its not TOO hard, hell, I'm a ****ing pot smoker who bombed out of my first year of college for a number of reasons, and you know what? I'm still well on my way to becoming a lawyer. Suck it up and get a higher paying job. After all, if yiou can say it to them, someone can say it to you. Stop breathing.

[quote=The Official Stance of the Republican Party]You guys still haven't answered what will happen to the small business's. They're going to be crushed.. Many people will lose their jobs over it. It's really risky. I'm not saying raising minimum wage will totally bomb, i'm sure there'll be some success to it but there'll be failure to follow it. So why even raise it? Prices are going up yes, but they'll continue to the point where raising the minimum wage won't have any affect.

I'm willing to venture that the amount of businesses that will have to actually hsut down is being vastly overblown. If you want to come up with some hard numbers, then fine, you can argue that, but since its been shown that what you are saying doesnt happen in other areas of the world, I'm going to go ahead and call you a ****wit imbecile who couldn find his own *** with both hands and a map. Get off my internet and get hit by a car.

Posted by Lord of Spam

oh *******it, **** you. you made me break a post down. thats the first sign that this thread is over. you've been proven wrong, case closed,, please, dear *** someone shoot me. i just cant stand to let someone stand around and be so stupid, but trying to educate this faggot is really starting to **** me off.

Posted by Speedfreak

Guys, it took me days to outline the fact that Xbox was a commercial and financial failure and selling a couple million more units than Gamecube doesn't count as kicking it's ass when it loses 4 billion dollars. If he couldn't understand something as terrifyingly simple as that then there's no way in hell he's gonna get this.

Posted by Random

Quoting Lord of Spam: oh *******it, **** you. you made me break a post down. thats the first sign that this thread is over. you've been proven wrong, case closed,, please, dear *** someone shoot me. i just cant stand to let someone stand around and be so stupid, but trying to educate this faggot is really starting to **** me off.

Nothings proven..

The company in which I work at just raised its prices and i've takin note that both Kmart and Wal mart has raised their prices on certain items. When I asked the manager at Wal Mart which I know, he said its because of the rise in minimum wage.

Where I work, we had to raise Camera Lithium Batteries by $2 a pack amongst other things on the rise.

Hmmm wait wait wait..

WHAT ABOUT THE SENIORS ON FIXED INCOME??

OH WAI~ THEY DONT GET ANY MORE MONEY BUT THE PRICES RISE..

OH SNAP!!

Proven wrong I doubt.. Theres nothing proving me wrong.. You guys are running around your statements.

My uncle has a small business with a few workers in which he'll have to give a pay raise once it goes up. Instead hes thinking of closing shop and trying to work for another company. Its ashame 4 people will lose their job over this.

So Spammy.. Go **** yourself because theres enough evidence that raising minimum wage will hurt. Besides why don't the minimum waged people go get a second job? I've done it.. And don't give me that (They're single moms) Bull**** because they can find ways around it. Theres enough government financial and aid programs out there.

The fact of the matter is that the Middle Class will be harmed because they won't get pay raised. My cousin and his wife work for the same company and they make more than what minimum wage is. The company does not plan on raising their pay making my cousin and his wifes pay less value. With the rise in prices they'll have to try to find other jobs in other area's kill this specific area.

Thus the middle class gets hurt by it...

My uncle would have to dish out more money to his employee's in which he can't really afford to. Thusly hes going to close his business. Other small business's will follow and close up leaving the large empires (Wal Mart+Target+Sears/Kmart) standing still semi strong.

Then you've got seniors.. Take my grandmother for example. Shes put on a fixed income where shes not going to make more money. But oh WAI~ prices are already going up for it. So what has she? Shes got less value on her dollar and she doesn't make a lot of income. She already has a job AND SHES 70 YRS OLD. She won't be getting a pay raise at her job. She just intends on working more. A 70 YR OLD LADY WORKING MORE... WTF..

OH YAY Thanks Minimum wage increased..

ok ok.. So wait you've got the lower class which gets a raise. But with rise in prices and services it'll pretty much cancel out the pay increase. Meanwhile you have the upper class jacking up the prices and losing competitors. They're the real winners.

Winner=Upper Class
2nd Place=Lower Class (With no increase or decrease)
Loser=Middle Class who has less value not to mention small business's failing.

I think i've proven my point. In any way it'll hurt our economy far worse than it already is.

So guys.. please think before you speak. You have to think of every aspect. The poor are poor for a reason. If they want to stop being poor, they have to strive in life to become something.

Posted by Speedfreak

My warning seems to have worked!

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Random: When I asked the manager at Wal Mart which I know, he said its because of the rise in minimum wage.

He must have gotten his economics degree at the same place as you!

Posted by Lord of Spam

I like how he thinks that a few anecdotes cancels out the existance of the entire nation of australia. Sorry, Arwon, but since random knows some people who agree with him, your entire nation not only is wrong, but apparently doesnt work the way you think it does!

its cute, really.

Posted by mis0

Somehow, I don't think that Wal*Mart can support itself without paying it's employees dirt wages. I mean, they only makes millions of dollars in net profit daily, and billions annually. And the poor, poor Walton family, attempting to survive on just $20billion dollars each. How do they do it?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Even if I were to buy everything I wanted I dont think I'd top like 50 mill.

BOOHOO ONLY 20BILLION

Posted by Arwon

Random is the worst capitalist ever.

Posted by Random

WOW YOU GUYS STILL RUN AROUND WHAT I SAID..

NOT ONE OF YOU ANSWERED ANY OF THE QUESTIONS..

GOOD JOB..

OHH WOW IT WORKED IN AUSTRAILIA..

Oh i'm sorry Spam, this isn't austrailia. The economy is completely different. They don't have as many companies or even anything that matches ours. So saying "IT WORKED IN AUSTRAILIA, ITLL WORK HERE" is like saying a guy from Russia has just as big of a Penis as someone in Italy because they have the same mom. Ain't gonna happen.

So til you guys show evidence of it actually working, I technically win because I show more harm than you guys can show help.

Ninja'd~!

Wheres the debate at? C'mon guys.. You guys have slacked. You silly liberals are all trying to rally together and call me an idiot but you can't seem to answer questions. Its rather funny.. You remind me of your democratic politicians who raise our taxes and do jack **** for us =)

Posted by Arwon

I did say some prices would rise, this is what happens when costs of production increase. But I also said A) Prices rise anyway, this is natural inflation, B) Price rises wouldn't wipe out the gains for minimum age earners made with a rise in minimum wages, C) Incrimental rises in minimum wage don't have a very large impact, D) Not all prices would rise everywhere in the economy as a result of minimum wage rises (how does minimum wage affect petroleum prices, for example?), E) The impacts on overall inflation levels (and thus, the value of a dollar) would be fairly minimal, and F) Higher wages will also continue to rise gradually as they always have done.

You haven't offered anything to contradict any of this, just a lot of socialist ranting about evil companies and the enriching of the elites.

As for people on fixed incomes.. well yes, that sucks. Welfare payments like pensions, unemployment benefits and so forth should be indexed to the CPI so when costs rise, their payments rise too.

Also, you know nothing about Australia, much less Australia's economy, so shut the f*ck up on that front. Our economies are broadly comparable in structure, and we tend to follow the same trends in things like inflation and interest rates. And beyond that, we're not comparing every facet of the two economies, simply the relationship between minimum wage levels and inflation.

Finally, can you just clarify that you do, in fact, understand the concept of inflation and CPI and how when you talk about price rises, that's what you're actually talking about?

Posted by Random

Oohhh Feisty are we??

So you admit fixed incomes will be hurt? Point goes to me for that...

Well i'm sorry, comparing Austrailia's economy is nothing like comparing ours. That'd be like comparing apples and oranges. There are some similarities but also some differences.

Prices are inflating. More than just a couple bucks here and there. For instance, i've been eyeing up a camcorder at wal mart that just went up $50 a few days ago. Tis a shame..

This isn't about my friends agreeing with me on what'll happen.

My uncles small business will go under because of it. Thus is a problem. Other business's will follow and crash and burn hurting the small companies/business's agreed?

More jobs will soon go over sea's. Why pay Joe 7.25 an hour when you can pay Jafar 2 bucks an hour in Bengladesh?? The company can live with paying $5.15 an hour to Joe Shmoe but not 7.25... Agreed? Or else that'd be stupid that the business would just take a slash in profit.

Its a problem when my grandmother who's 70 has to work because she has a fixed income and prices will raise..

I really don't care if you guys think prices won't go up much because they are. They've started going up and they'll keep going up.

To counter it, companies will simply spend less making their products or jack their prices. Either way we lose. Maybe McDonalds can shrink the size in their burgers for the 5th time in the last 10 years.

Still no one answers my questions on the middle class..

I'm disappointed you guys aren't keeping up with me ^_^

Posted by Arwon

Inflation in America is about 2.7% CPI increase. That's completely average among the 30 or so OECD countries (ie, the rich countries). America is nothing special in this regard.

You say that "They've started going up and they'll keep going up" but this is, well, dumb. PRICES HAVE BEEN GOING UP BASICALLY FOREVER. As I said, inflation is generally about 2 or 3% annually. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Consumer_Price_Index_US_1913-2004.png]HERE IS A GRAPH[/url]. The blue line is "prices" and the red line is "how much they increase from year to year". See the steadily but gradually rising blue line showing a gradual price increase since the early 80s? See the red line hovering fairly steadily? Tell me, based on that, what has changed to alter this so dramatically?

You're right that inflation levels are probably going to increase, but this is basically because oil prices have been rising and they're an incredibly big influence over prices because oil prices are involved in so much of the economy. Not only transport, but everything that gets transported, as well as things like manufacturing of plastics, fertilisers, chemicals, and so forth. If you're looking for the big inflation threat, stop looking at workers being given a raise to help them live in at least a somewhat dignified manner, and start looking at things like petroleum prices. They're the things having a global impact. Tell me, if price rises in America were only caused by local issues like the minimum wage laws... why would it be that all rich countries are worrying about increasing inflation right now?

You're also bringing in totally different issues in a general sort of uneducated "man the economy is going to hell" style doom-mongering. The nativist outrage at outsourcing of various types of jobs goes far beyond the minimum wage issue. If you wanna compete with Bangladesh in the areas where they have comparative advantage (cheap manufacturing, I guess), you're going to have to ditch a whole lot more than just minimum wage laws.

Likewise, the growing gap between rich and poor (what you so quaintly call "harm to the middle class") is an issue far far greater than simply minimum wage laws and blaming them for this 30 year international trend is obscene. To argue against that is, to some extent, to argue against the very concept of an unfettered market economy. If you wanna do that, be my guest, but I think you might have to turn in your Conservative badge at the next meeting.

Posted by Iris

[quote]Well i'm sorry, comparing Austrailia's economy is nothing like comparing ours. That'd be like comparing apples and oranges. There are some similarities but also some differences.
Did you not read his post? Even if there's plenty of differences, minimum wage and price fluctuation isn't one of them. The differences aren't going to compromise the similarities between price and minimum wage.
[quote]Prices are inflating. More than just a couple bucks here and there. For instance, i've been eyeing up a camcorder at wal mart that just went up $50 a few days ago. Tis a shame..
There's very little inflation here in Michigan. Does that make me right by just saying that? No. Just giving an example of a price change isn't going to mean anything unless you can prove the cause.
[quote]My uncles small business will go under because of it. Thus is a problem. Other business's will follow and crash and burn hurting the small companies/business's agreed?
Your uncle sucks if he can't run a business well enough to pay off employees and gain reasonable profit. Ever hear of Social Darwinism? The economy's not going to crash because your uncle can't manage a business to deal with these situations.
[quote]More jobs will soon go over sea's. Why pay Joe 7.25 an hour when you can pay Jafar 2 bucks an hour in Bengladesh?? The company can live with paying $5.15 an hour to Joe Shmoe but not 7.25... Agreed? Or else that'd be stupid that the business would just take a slash in profit.
Most small companies don't do business outside of the country. You're being too broad. The effects aren't as wide-spread as you're trying to say.
[quote]To counter it, companies will simply spend less making their products or jack their prices. Either way we lose. Maybe McDonalds can shrink the size in their burgers for the 5th time in the last 10 years.
Ah, it's the apocalypse! A $.75 raise in minimum wage is going to cause all businesses to raise the price of their products $5 and severely reduce the quality! You don't realize how dumb you sound.
[quote]I'm disappointed you guys aren't keeping up with me ^_^
I'm dissapointed in Jesse for not allowing us to put blog mods on ignore.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Random: WOW YOU GUYS STILL RUN AROUND WHAT I SAID..

GOOD JOB..

You're hardly in a position to talk. You plainly haven't read anything in this thread nor have you made any attempt to comprehend the subject matter. I've given you my response and answers to your questions many times already, and once in
SUPER SIZE
with the hopes that maybe you'd get it then. You just didn't like the answers. So I'll say it again: take a basic economics class. Then blush, realise that you're an idiot, and stop wasting the time of others in the future.

edit: You do realize my Wal*Mart quip up there was a response, right? Somehow, I don't think a company like Wal*Mart, which you champion as an example, would be hurt by a minimum wage increase if they reduced their bottom line from essentially raping the third world and the nation for cash into at least attempting to pay a living wage. Not something you'd care about or understand, though.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Random: WOW YOU GUYS STILL RUN AROUND WHAT I SAID..

GOOD JOB..

OHH WOW IT WORKED IN AUSTRAILIA..

Oh i'm sorry Spam, this isn't austrailia. The economy is completely different. They don't have as many companies or even anything that matches ours. So saying "IT WORKED IN AUSTRAILIA, ITLL WORK HERE" is like saying a guy from Russia has just as big of a Penis as someone in Italy because they have the same mom. Ain't gonna happen.

Once again, are you really saying that an australian company doesnt want to make as much money as possible? Capitalsim workds the same anywhere you go, *******. Also, assuming the two men recieved the genes responsible for their genital size from their mom, they WOULD have comprably sizedpackages, you dolt.

So now we know that random knows nothing about economics AND genetics. w00t.

[quote]So til you guys show evidence of it actually working, I technically win because I show more harm than you guys can show help.

Arwon posted graphs, plus theres, you know, teh entire nation of austtalian, and I'd bet that most european nations have higer minimum wages as well.

[quote]Wheres the debate at? C'mon guys.. You guys have slacked. You silly liberals are all trying to rally together and call me an idiot but you can't seem to answer questions. Its rather funny.. You remind me of your democratic politicians who raise our taxes and do jack **** for us =)

And you are reminding me of a great deal of neoconservative politicians. You know, the ones that rant about **** without ever knowing anything about it, and constantly contradict themselves, and then when they are proven wrong, just yell their initial premise louder and louder as if volume was equatable to truth. Then, when reasonable people get tired of their childishness and walk away declare themselves the winner since theres nobody retarded enough left to argue with them.

If ever there was a mouth meant to suck ym balls, sir, it is yours. I'm planning on taking a trip to the new york area some time next summer; on the way I shall make a detour so that you may do exactly that. I suggest you begin to practice post haste.

Posted by Random

Quoting Misoxeny: You're hardly in a position to talk. You plainly haven't read anything in this thread nor have you made any attempt to comprehend the subject matter. I've given you my response and answers to your questions many times already, and once in
SUPER SIZE
with the hopes that maybe you'd get it then. You just didn't like the answers. So I'll say it again: take a basic economics class. Then blush, realise that you're an idiot, and stop wasting the time of others in the future.

edit: You do realize my Wal*Mart quip up there was a response, right? Somehow, I don't think a company like Wal*Mart, which you champion as an example, would be hurt by a minimum wage increase if they reduced their bottom line from essentially raping the third world and the nation for cash into at least attempting to pay a living wage. Not something you'd care about or understand, though.

Its not Wal Mart thats hurt by the increase. Its the consumer (me) who was going to buy that Camera for $249.99 and now its $299.99. Wal Mart simply won't be hurt by it because consumers will still buy, but the consumer will have to pay more for it.

I also would like to note it funny that the Local Kmart has also prepared for this. They hired numerous new workers but cut back everyones hours (including people who have been there for years). This way when the increase happens, they can work the workers who've been there longer less, meanwhile sucking up all the new part timers time in which they'll get paid less.

Thusly they now work less cancelling out a pay raise. Lori one of the front desk workers and I spoke and she is going from her average 38 hours (Because shes not full time) and making now 7.00 (which will rise) but now her schedule has her pointed at a mere 22 hours a week. Not to mention they now have about 4 or 5 more front desk workers.

Lori will more than likely have to find another job to support herself and her kids.

Stop trying to be cool and liberal and see the logic. Money doesn't grow on trees, if businesses pay more money per employee, they have to hire less employees, which means they don't make as much money, which means they can afford less employees, or hire more employees but significantly lower their hours.

Or they increase prices. Which makes the increase in salary worthless, as prices rose to compensate, and only people on min. wage got the raise, so people on fixed incomes are screwed now. See my logic yet?

The Majority of the Minimum Waged workers are high school students anyways who can depend on Mom and Dad.

Minimum Wage will:

1) Causes a rapid short term firing of low wage employees.
2) Prevents employees from giving better wages to long term employees.
3) Causing a price hike in products which causes low income employees to spend more money on the things that they need. Thus negating any benifits of higher wages.
4) If you were unfortunate enough to be making slightly above minimum wage, your higher income has just been negated.

*sigh*

http://www.kidsnewsroom.org/newsissues/092906/index.asp?page=Politics

I feel i'm getting no where with you morons..

And yet i'll be one of these people harmed by it. My uncle who has a small business will either go under or have to up the prices and work his workers less or fire them.

My Grandmother who earns a fixed income won't have an increase to battle the rise in prices.

Myself who makes more than the minimum wage increase won't benefit because I myself won't be getting a raise.

Three simple factors in why we shouldn't raise it. I'll get less value for my dollar and I may have to find a second job or try to find a better job in an area that has little jobs to offer.

Like stated before, the majority of Minimum Waged workers are high school kids or people who can depend on others. Its unfair to pay more to these high school kids who have mom and dad to support them, meanwhile small business's and middle class people take the bullet.

Oh Iris I wasn't pointing out small business's going over sea's silly. I was pointing out larger business's taking their factories over sea's because they won't have to fight the raise in paying their employees wages. Now they can go pay Pedro a buck and a quarter to do Johns job.

When someone can finally perhaps point out anything that will cancel out these "FACTS" then maybe i'll shut up.

But you give the run around and Mention Austrailia every other sentence. Or you even admit that i'm right by saying "OH yeah it'll suck for the people making fixed income" but then stop it there and pretend I never said it.

Oh hey Iris.. You think my uncles sucks huh.. Well maybe you should stop licking someones taint and stfu.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If you having to get a second job is such a bad thing, then what of the people who are stuck on minimum wage for whatever reason? why should THEY have to get second jobs etc? If its unfair for someone to force you to work harder, its unfair to force them to work harder. How can you not see the hypocrisy in that? Are you really that blind or are you just doing the neocon "ignore anyone who ****s my arguemnt to hell" thing again? I noticed you also chose to gloss over me pointing that out previously, so I'm just going to assume thats what it is.

Since you're not paying attention anyway, I might as well talk about whatever the hell I want. I choose dirtbikes. Dirtbikes are really freaking fun. I love riding around in big open cowfields, doing jumps and whatnot, and sliding around turns whiling leaning in. And now, I type out an insult as the last sentence since most people only read hte fierst and last bits anyway.

You're a retarded neoncon *******, complete with the contradicotry viewpoints and immature arguent methods. I hate the fact that you are what has come to represent the conservative party of this nation, and am sicked when you liken yourselfs to past republicans (some of whom were actually pretty badass). I am consoled only by the fact that you are too petty and retarded to ever be able to affect and great change, an wish you a slow and uneventful death of mediocrity and isolation.

Posted by mis0

@ Random:
NO, NO, and NO!
I'm not sure why the concept is so lost on you, but prices are not going to increase anywhere near that dramatically because of a minimum wage increase, you ****tard. Why? I'll explain:

COMPAINIES MAKE MILLIONS/BILLIONS IN PROFIT ANNUALLY. And because idiot consumers like you won't be willing to pay a few more cents on the dollar to support a minimum wage increase, these companies will cut the loss by reducing their bottom line - or, in otherwords, their huge profits will be taking the hit more likely than prices increasing several percent like your doomsday theory would have us all believe.

For example, take China for example. They barely even pay their labourers, and they live in mediocre conditions. South Korea, on the other hand, has a highly skilled labour force which happens to be unionized and very well paid. Yet, if you were to buy a car from either of the two countries (currently Chinese cars are not avaible in the US, but they are in Mexico), for a similarly equipped model, a Chery (Chinese manufacturer) car tends to cost about as much as a Daewoo or Hyundai (both South Korean). It's not just what they pay labourers that determines cost, it's a myriad (a lot) of different factors. And you'd have to be pretty stupid to think you're going to see $50 price hikes due to minimum wage increases, especially since most stuff you buy is made in China anyway.

Posted by Arwon

I like how Random's just totally ignored most of what I've said about the actual history and current situation of inflation, the impact of petroleum prices on prices, and the fact that inflation wasn't just invented this year with minimum wage increases.

That link you showed, Random, it's not talking about the minimum wage by itself, it's talking about the folly of automatically indexed wage rises, which I'll happily agree with because they've historically been a very bad idea.

Now you're bringing in rostering disputes? Jesus. $50 camera increases, manufacturing outsourcing, the fact that your job sucks... what won't you blame on minimum wage at this point? It sounds like you have far deeper issues with the capitalist system... you should stop blaming it all on this one law.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

i agree with random, because if ur making minimum wage and are complaining about it, get a better job. if u can't get one, go to a community college, work hard, live in ur car or a box for a while if u have to, and nail a higher paying job. it just will affect all of the people that are working hard and the worth of everyones dollar will go down, even the money of the people with minimum wage. it might be so bad that they r actually making the same worth of money even after the amount is increased.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Lord of Spam]So now we know that random knows nothing about economics AND genetics. w00t.
Clearly it's the result of being inbred.

I'm just going to stop talking to this stupid boy. He can call it defeat if he wants, but I'm pretty sure everyone's given up on the possibility of him absorbing any sort of logic and rational thought through his thick skull.

If you all want to continue going in circles, you may, but clearly learning through repitition isn't something Random is capable of, so it's pointless.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Anti-Muffla]i agree with random, because if ur making minimum wage and are complaining about it, get a better job. if u can't get one, go to a community college, work hard, live in ur car or a box for a while if u have to, and nail a higher paying job. it just will affect all of the people that are working hard and the worth of everyones dollar will go down, even the money of the people with minimum wage. it might be so bad that they r actually making the same worth of money even after the amount is increased.

The idea is no one should ever have to go through that in the great country known as the USA, you total, total imbecile.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Hey guys, Skitzo here, just to tell you that I'm working a minimum wage job in California ($6.75 an hour, 20 hours a week) and am able to get by with what I need: rent, food, and utilities. This minimum wage hike coming up in January (to $7.50 an hour) will be mostly irrelevant for me, because my rent is being hiked up along with it. That extra dollar I make an hour will be negated by all but $30 a month from rent and utilities hikes.
---
What I mean to say is that, much like the use of Enzyte and other natural "male enhancement" pills, individual results may vary. Although my life working at minimum wage works out alright, it may not work for others. Also, this raise in minimum wage may help some people, and others it may not. Look at your bar graphs, your political debates, your half-flaccid penis all you want, but none of them tell you what's going on better than living in it.

Random, your dollar will not be worth less. You, as with most of the so-called "middle-class" (which, by the way, is a self-delusion: there's no such thing as a middle-class in America, anymore), will be mostly unaffected. The inflation that could possibly come with this minimum wage hike will be negligible, at best. Your argument has been debunked, man, and that's all there is to it.

Posted by Arwon

I should point out, if we're telling personal details here, that I'm actually working below our equivalent of minimum wage ('award' conditions) at the moment, because I get paid under the table and its better for me than taking a job the tax office knows about (if I had to report this income I'd lose part of Youth Allowance, the student welfare payment, at the rate of 50 cents on the dollar).

If I didn't have my Youth Allowance payment (and it's a b!tch to qualify for) and a small bit of help from my parents that lets me buy food other than instant noodles and frozen vegetables, there's no way I could afford to A) live in Sydney or B) study at university.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

yo Misoxeny,
Just because i'm helping Random, doesnt mean I think he's right, I just think he needs some help because you all are ganging up on him. You dont have to believe in the devil to play devil's advocate. Please don't take that word for word, and give me more bad rep. then I need.

Posted by Random

lol don't let the Transexual (Miso) get to you. He-she is just a fagggg..

Its funny.. I didn't realize VGC was full of Communist Rat Mothers..

Raising minimum wage will raise prices while you'll have the middle class making less value.

Geez I wish there was a way I could make a bar graph.

Ok i'll try to work with the best that I have.

Pretend "A" stands for the lower class in which they make, and pretend "B" is what the middle class makes. Pretend the dotted line at the left is where it starts and the line on the far right is where it ends.

(Before the Rise)
Here we have the lower class. Seems small right?
A) --------|

Here we have the Middle Class
B) --------------|

Kay now theres 8 little dashes for the lower class and 14 for the middle class.

Now you raise the pay in the lower class but KEEP IN MIND PRICES HAVE RISEN and the middle class has no or an insiginicant amount increased in pay.

A) ----------| Kay now theres 10

BUT!

The Middle Class
B) ------------| now has 12

Seems like a victory for the poor right? Well a loss for the middle class..

Whats really going on is one side is going to decrease while the other increases til equal pay is amongst both. A communist value none the less.. Equal pay.. hmmmm Geez..

Oh just so you know guys, i'm not too big on Communist theories. Not to mention it didn't really work for the Soviets.

ok folks lets do some reading shall we!!

http://www.econlib.org/LIBRARY/Enc/Reaganomics.html

Reagan was the mofo man! He was a true conquerer of the Economy.

Posted by Philsdad

Fun Fact: In a lot of states, you can make more by going on welfare, than by having a full time minimum wage job. If I were in that predictament, and people like Random were trying to prevent me from being able to have a decent livable wage, I think I'd just want to say screw it and go on welfare instead. Then, those same people could call me lazy and a burden on society! But I'd just say "well you know what? I would have been happy to go out and work hard instead, but you don't want me to even be able to make a living wage, so this is how it's gonna be. **** You, and enjoy having my welfare taken out of your taxes!"

Posted by Random

Quoting Misoxeny: @ Random:
NO, NO, and NO!
I'm not sure why the concept is so lost on you, but prices are not going to increase anywhere near that dramatically because of a minimum wage increase, you ****tard. Why? I'll explain:

COMPAINIES MAKE MILLIONS/BILLIONS IN PROFIT ANNUALLY. And because idiot consumers like you won't be willing to pay a few more cents on the dollar to support a minimum wage increase, these companies will cut the loss by reducing their bottom line - or, in otherwords, their huge profits will be taking the hit more likely than prices increasing several percent like your doomsday theory would have us all believe.

For example, take China for example. They barely even pay their labourers, and they live in mediocre conditions. South Korea, on the other hand, has a highly skilled labour force which happens to be unionized and very well paid. Yet, if you were to buy a car from either of the two countries (currently Chinese cars are not avaible in the US, but they are in Mexico), for a similarly equipped model, a Chery (Chinese manufacturer) car tends to cost about as much as a Daewoo or Hyundai (both South Korean). It's not just what they pay labourers that determines cost, it's a myriad (a lot) of different factors. And you'd have to be pretty stupid to think you're going to see $50 price hikes due to minimum wage increases, especially since most stuff you buy is made in China anyway.

Kay I may double or even triple post but I don't give a hell..

Companies do make millions and billions Miso! Your absolutely right. I applaud you for being right. We're not talking about a few cent raise. We're talking about 2 dollars an hour per employee. Now companies aren't going to take a huge profit loss such as this. You think of it as small and insignificant but its actually rather large.

Take Wal Mart for example. They pay their employee's $6.00. They have 60 Employee's at 1 Wal Mart store that make less than Minimum Wage. We're talking $1.25 Per Wal Mart Employee per hour! Now we're going to say each Employee works 5 hours a day. 60x5=300 mkay? Take 300x1.25= $375 a day in loss. Seems like nothing right? Well then say theres 500 Stores in that state alone. That becomes $187,500 dollars for one measily state IN ONE DAY. And thats if your lucky. Theres way more than 500 Wal Mart stores and far more than 60 employee's in this state/store location.

Do you understand where i'm coming from? Well if you don't then perhaps you should go shoot yourself.

Your talking MILLIONS of dollars in loss unless they raise prices. Only makes sense. And i'm sorry but Big Corporations such as Wal Mart aren't going to just take a hit because they can. They're simply going to raise their prices to keep making more money and opening up more stores. Its just what they will do. You can argue that they won't but your a friggen retarded transexual anyways.

kk now for another post

Posted by Random

Quoting Lord of Spam: If you having to get a second job is such a bad thing, then what of the people who are stuck on minimum wage for whatever reason? why should THEY have to get second jobs etc? If its unfair for someone to force you to work harder, its unfair to force them to work harder. How can you not see the hypocrisy in that? Are you really that blind or are you just doing the neocon "ignore anyone who ****s my arguemnt to hell" thing again? I noticed you also chose to gloss over me pointing that out previously, so I'm just going to assume thats what it is.

Since you're not paying attention anyway, I might as well talk about whatever the hell I want. I choose dirtbikes. Dirtbikes are really freaking fun. I love riding around in big open cowfields, doing jumps and whatnot, and sliding around turns whiling leaning in. And now, I type out an insult as the last sentence since most people only read hte fierst and last bits anyway.

You're a retarded neoncon *******, complete with the contradicotry viewpoints and immature arguent methods. I hate the fact that you are what has come to represent the conservative party of this nation, and am sicked when you liken yourselfs to past republicans (some of whom were actually pretty badass). I am consoled only by the fact that you are too petty and retarded to ever be able to affect and great change, an wish you a slow and uneventful death of mediocrity and isolation.

COMMUNIST!

Why should I get a second job? I bust my *** off to keep the job I have thats nice paying. Why does my dollar in value have to go down? People working minimum jobs that don't have a second job is their fault. They could have a second job easy. I used to have 2 minimum waged jobs. I did it for months on end working 13 hours a day. And you know what? I lived with a good bit of money left over.

Besides Spammy, if i'm making more than minimum wage and i'd need a second job to support myself THEN SO WOULD THE MINIMUM WAGED WORKERS YOU IDIOT. DO YOU REALIZE HOW BAD YOU CONTRADICTED YOURSELF??

You guys are making this way too easy.

While we're on the insults, I can't help but notice you have Mount Rushmore on your forehead.

Kay going for 3

Posted by Random

Quoting Arwon: I like how Random's just totally ignored most of what I've said about the actual history and current situation of inflation, the impact of petroleum prices on prices, and the fact that inflation wasn't just invented this year with minimum wage increases.

That link you showed, Random, it's not talking about the minimum wage by itself, it's talking about the folly of automatically indexed wage rises, which I'll happily agree with because they've historically been a very bad idea.

Now you're bringing in rostering disputes? Jesus. $50 camera increases, manufacturing outsourcing, the fact that your job sucks... what won't you blame on minimum wage at this point? It sounds like you have far deeper issues with the capitalist system... you should stop blaming it all on this one law.

I like how you guys ignore my posts. I point out more harm than you can good. You show history of a nation that doesn't have near the economy ours does. Its hard to show history from another country to work on ours. It just is because its not the same.

The rise in minimum wages in the past in the US came with consequences. Loss in business's etc etc. Thus history proves it harmful. The only way we keep growing is with things like tax breaks. Also read Reaganomics for more information on how he managed to save this.

Raising minimum wage in the past hasnt helped but hurt. The Gov't just found ways to offset the ways. History has proven it. yada yada ya everytime you post i'll tell you its already proven by history.

Capitalist system? The way its going it'll soon be a communist system. We're on the verge of the middle class and lower class having the same pay. Pffft...

kk next i'm on a roll i'm not stopping now!

Posted by Random

Quoting Iris: Clearly it's the result of being inbred.

I'm just going to stop talking to this stupid boy. He can call it defeat if he wants, but I'm pretty sure everyone's given up on the possibility of him absorbing any sort of logic and rational thought through his thick skull.

If you all want to continue going in circles, you may, but clearly learning through repitition isn't something Random is capable of, so it's pointless.

You might want to get yourself checked for Shut the F*** up.

Logic? Read my last few posts. Read my other posts. I prove more harm to it. I even show more FACTS and you guys gallop around your Communistic traits.

Going in circles? I've even added more. You guys stopped adding more long ago. I've been proving a lot more..

Posted by Random

Quoting Anti-Muffla: i agree with random, because if ur making minimum wage and are complaining about it, get a better job. if u can't get one, go to a community college, work hard, live in ur car or a box for a while if u have to, and nail a higher paying job. it just will affect all of the people that are working hard and the worth of everyones dollar will go down, even the money of the people with minimum wage. it might be so bad that they r actually making the same worth of money even after the amount is increased.

YES THANK YOU! IF YOU DONT LIKE YOUR ****TY JOB THEN LEAVE IT!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. SOMEONE WITH SENSE!!

OK now that i've posted 4 maybe 5 posts in a row I feel the need to stop and let you guys talk in circles for a while in how it worked in butt **** austrailia. Also you'll be chit chatting about the Communistic values and those sorts of things and call me an idiot when you can't even stop my offensive debating. You guys still haven't answered my questions in previous posts and its getting really old. The 5 maybe 6 of you should probably stop trying to be cool liberal commi's and just do some actual reading. When you guys fully answer my questions and what not and make logical sense and not just determine that it worked in some country that doesn't have an economy such as ours then perhaps i'll agree with you..

But til then I just so pwned you fags.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Random: I like how you guys ignore my posts. I point out more harm than you can good. You show history of a nation that doesn't have near the economy ours does. Its hard to show history from another country to work on ours. It just is because its not the same.

The rise in minimum wages in the past in the US came with consequences. Loss in business's etc etc. Thus history proves it harmful. The only way we keep growing is with things like tax breaks. Also read Reaganomics for more information on how he managed to save this.

Raising minimum wage in the past hasnt helped but hurt. The Gov't just found ways to offset the ways. History has proven it. yada yada ya everytime you post i'll tell you its already proven by history.

Capitalist system? The way its going it'll soon be a communist system. We're on the verge of the middle class and lower class having the same pay. Pffft...

kk next i'm on a roll i'm not stopping now!

Dude, that graph was your country. I'm talking about the inflation history of your country. Blue line slowly rising, red line hovering around 1-4% Pay attention, for f*cks sake. Wanna try again?

Posted by mis0

Quoting Random: Kay I may double or even triple post but I don't give a hell..

Companies do make millions and billions Miso! Your absolutely right. I applaud you for being right. We're not talking about a few cent raise. We're talking about 2 dollars an hour per employee. Now companies aren't going to take a huge profit loss such as this. You think of it as small and insignificant but its actually rather large.

Take Wal Mart for example. They pay their employee's $6.00. They have 60 Employee's at 1 Wal Mart store that make less than Minimum Wage. We're talking $1.25 Per Wal Mart Employee per hour! Now we're going to say each Employee works 5 hours a day. 60x5=300 mkay? Take 300x1.25= $375 a day in loss. Seems like nothing right? Well then say theres 500 Stores in that state alone. That becomes $187,500 dollars for one measily state IN ONE DAY. And thats if your lucky. Theres way more than 500 Wal Mart stores and far more than 60 employee's in this state/store location.

Do you understand where i'm coming from? Well if you don't then perhaps you should go shoot yourself.

Your talking MILLIONS of dollars in loss unless they raise prices. Only makes sense. And i'm sorry but Big Corporations such as Wal Mart aren't going to just take a hit because they can. They're simply going to raise their prices to keep making more money and opening up more stores. Its just what they will do. You can argue that they won't but your a friggen retarded transexual anyways.

kk now for another post

Yeah, now you've done the math. And sadly, you're right: Corporations won't take the hit, and it's really nothing more than greed. Wal*Mart, my example, literally makes millions of dollars in profit daily, and so we're talking thousands of dollars in profit PER MINUTE. If you think it is so terribly wrong to pay people fair wages, you know, SO THEY CAN LIVE, especially when it wouldn't take more than, like you said, maybe $400 per store a day, then you can get the **** off the Internet and go scream this through a megaphone at the people who struggle with these meager wages every day. I'd be surprised if you didn't get stabbed in the face.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Random]
Logic? Read my last few posts. Read my other posts. I prove more harm to it. I even show more FACTS and you guys gallop around your Communistic traits.

Going in circles? I've even added more. You guys stopped adding more long ago. I've been proving a lot more..
Christ, shut up. You aren't proving anything. You've just repeated "but my uncle" and made up your own statistics. What do you do when you see actual evidence? You ignore it, like you have through this whole thread. Insulting people and ignoring logic and proof isn't going to make you right and apparently that's all you can do.

Posted by KoH

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba499/

If you guys wanted proof, why don't you look it up to make sure that your own arguments aren't bull****?

Posted by Arwon

Sorry, but one study rattling off the textbook arguments against minimum wage laws doesn't prove a thing, as there is absolutely no consensus among economists about the effects of minimum wage laws. If I had the time and inclination I could find you ten economics papers arguing these things you've just linked to, and then ten economics papers arguing the exact opposite.

For example, for, every study claiming that minimum wage causes unemployment there are others saying there is little to no correlative relationship, let alone a causitive one.

I do think though, letting politicians and citizen referendums decide the minimum wage level is the worst possible way of doing it. It'd be far smarter to have an independent body set up to set the level based on submissions from labour groups, governments and business groups.

Posted by KoH

That graph was shown on the right hand side of the web page.

Posted by Boner

Wow, this thread is still going?!? Actually, I'm kind of glad to see that. In my earlier posts in this thread, I hit on the topic of inflation, only to be ridiculed by uneducated people. I think my favorite argument that I read was how creating more money isn't the main cause of inflation. My second favorite was when someone mentioned that inflation isn't bad. Well, I found a great video clip that I'd like to link here. It's about 40 minutes long. It really is quite informative. But, if you aren't going to sit through the whole thing, you may as well not even bother.

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-466210540567002553&q=money%2C+banking%2Cand+the+federal+reserve"]Money, banking, and the Federal Reserve.[/URL][/SIZE]

Posted by Random

Heh.. I doubt they'll be posting again.

Owned shall I say?

Posted by Arwon

So which is it, Boner? You can't have it both ways. In the contemporary First World, is rising prices thanks to increasing demand and costs of production (oil, wages, insurance premiums, whatever) the main cause of inflation or is it printing more money leading to currency devaluation? If it's the latter, why is there inflation in virtually all countries even beyond the reach of the insidious Federal Reserve? Do they all pursue the same policies? Wouldn't it make more sense that given the international impact of inflation, to say that the culprit must be internationally based (or at least independent of any specific national policy or economic characteristic) as well? If it isn't rising demand that's a significant factor in inflation, why is inflation generally higher during periods of high growth?

Second, if low-level inflation (refer back to my graph of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Consumer_Price_Index_US_1913-2004.png]US CPI changes[/url], particularly post-1980) is so horrendous why is it that virtually every advanced economy in the world shoots for (and mostly achieves) an inflation rate of between about 1% and 4% CPI increase a year rather than zero? Could it be, shock horror, that the price of zero-inflation or deflationary policies massively outweigh the benefits of "money not being worth less"?

Posted by Boner

Quoting Arwon: If it's the latter, why is there inflation in virtually all countries even beyond the reach of the insidious Federal Reserve?

Are you kidding me? Any currency that isn't backed by something is backed by nothing. Name one currency used in the world today that is backed by anything but an empty promise. An empty promise is as close to nothing as it gets.

Quoted post: Do they all pursue the same policies?

Pretty much. In the aspect of money, anyway. I mean, it's not like they have restrictions on how much fiat paper currency they can print up. A government that is run with a backed currency is a government with limited power. And we can clearly see that no government in the world today likes the idea of limited power over their people. That goes double for the US.

Quoted post: Second, if low-level inflation (refer back to my graph of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Consumer_Price_Index_US_1913-2004.png]US CPI changes[/url], particularly post-1980) is so horrendous why is it that virtually every advanced economy in the world shoots for (and mostly achieves) an inflation rate of between about 1% and 4% CPI increase a year rather than zero?

Because they know that zero inflation with an unbacked currency is unattainable. That being said, they attempt to keep it as low as possible. And, for reasons which should have been clearly presented in the video, financial institutions have the general population believing that "low inflation" is acceptable. Thus it is a "good" thing. Imagine being locked in a cell for most of your life. Let's say that each day, every 4 hours, a guard would walk into your cell and beat you with a whip until you passed out from the pain. It would suck, right? It would be absolutely horrible. Now, let's say that after a while, the guard started to beat you only once per day. Much better, right? Just because something is "better" than it could be does not mean it's "good". But, we are programed to think that way. So, we accept it. Much like you do.

Quoted post: Could it be, shock horror, that the price of zero-inflation or deflationary policies massively outweigh the benefits of "money not being worth less"?

You obviously don't know anyone that lives on a limited set income. Especially one whom lives within the US. If you did, you would not have made the above statement. My father used to be a union carpenter until his knees went bad. He has had 4 surgeries, one of which was a knee replacement. My father is a smart guy, but he is also restricted by a reading disability. It's so bad that I actually have to write his checks out for him. He only receives $1,000 per month from the union for his disability. That's it. That's all he has to live off of per month for the rest of his days. How is he supposed to live on that?! He has also been turned down twice for Social Security.

He had to refinance his house and have me take over half of the mortgage. If it weren't for my outstanding credit score, we would not have been able to do it. Our mortgage with escrow (property taxes) included came to $1,626/month....before they raised the peoperty taxes on us. Now our mortgage is up to about $1,900/month. After he pays his half, he still has to pay for half of the utilities, groceries, etc. He can't work, but he can still drive. So, of course, he has to pay for insurance and gas. Not to mention everything else that comes with having some sort of life. With all of that, he is easily spent well past his monthly income. My dad is quickly running out of any money he had saved up. And it's never going to get any easier on him, thanks to your "good" and "low" inflation that you keep praising. Honestly, I'd love to see you try and argue this crap to the people on [URL="http://goldismoney.info/forums/index.php"]this message board.[/URL] Perhaps you should go there and get some sense talked into you. Or, try to talk your sense into them [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/haha.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Random

Wow, Arwon give up. We've shown more bad than good and you keep ranting on and on. You can't even defend anything we've been saying. There's obviously two sides in which neither will give in.

Posted by Arwon

Actually no, Boner's largely arguing something different to what you're arguing, and you've pretty much given up doing anything except saying the same hysterical and things over and over again and using words like "pwned".

Posted by Random

Actually if you'd read all of my posts you'd see i've mentioned many different points on why its a stupid idea. Perhaps you should do some reading. Not to mention when any of us post an intelligent argument you tend to talk around it and say it wouldn't affect us.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Random: Actually if you'd read all of my posts you'd see i've mentioned many different points on why its a stupid idea. Perhaps you should do some reading. Not to mention when any of us post an intelligent argument you tend to talk around it and say it wouldn't affect us.

Way to be a hypocritical lout. You don't read anything anyone says to you, and you expect us to suddenly give a shit or something? That's just arrogant.

Posted by Random

Quoting Misoxeny: Way to be a hypocritical lout. You don't read anything anyone says to you, and you expect us to suddenly give a shit or something? That's just arrogant.

I've read yours or at least most. Unfortunately you have more to read than I and you fail to do so. Why should I read what little you have when you won't read what I have? I've read enough to know i've pointed out way more harm than you can good of it.

Already its screwing me over. My company has thousands of workers for it. Im due to move up in the company but alas I may not due to the fact that they'll have to fire some workers to offset the raise in minimum wage. So instead of moving up, i'll probably stay where i'm at and make less money for my dollar.

Heh.. if you want to help the poor, you might as well help me. I'm on my way to becoming poor with the motion of the raise already.

Tsk Tsk.. Grand.. We'll have even more poor people.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

The more people get paid, the more money they will spend.

Wal-Mart might have to pay 8 dollars an hour, but guess what it will lead to? That's right, people who make 1.25 more per hour than they used to, spending their extra cash at Wal-Mart. The average American is not very good at saving their money.

Overall, it really won't have a such a huge effect in the long run.

Posted by KoH

It's not really "extra cash" when businesses have to raise the price of products and services they sell in order to pay their employees.

Posted by Arwon

Yes, it largely maintains the status quo in terms of the real value of one's pay, and helps minimum wage earners to keep up with (or catch back up with, given how long it's been since it was raised) the real cost of living.

Which is the f*cking point we're making.

Posted by KoH

Yeah except for the fact that raises unemployment and encourages people not to receive a full education (high school and college).

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting KoH: It's not really "extra cash" when businesses have to raise the price of products and services they sell in order to pay their employees.

Minimum wages have been the same for the last 5 years or so here in California, though, and inflation has moved far faster than the minimum wage. If anything, the minimum wage is merely catching up - In the short term, some companies will lay off employees or raise prices, but in the medium term, they will sell more products total, and in the long term, the same scenario will happen again in the next 5-10 years.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Captain Cleanoff]Minimum wages have been the same for the last 5 years or so here in California, though, and inflation has moved far faster than the minimum wage. If anything, the minimum wage is merely catching up - In the short term, some companies will lay off employees or raise prices, but in the medium term, they will sell more products total, and in the long term, the same scenario will happen again in the next 5-10 years.

I... actually admit defeat in this matter. You win.

Posted by gandalf117

Quoting Random:
Already its screwing me over. My company has thousands of workers for it. Im due to move up in the company but alas I may not due to the fact that they'll have to fire some workers to offset the raise in minimum wage. So instead of moving up, i'll probably stay where i'm at and make less money for my dollar.

Heh.. if you want to help the poor, you might as well help me. I'm on my way to becoming poor with the motion of the raise already.

First of all you do not know what poor means! When the government raises the minimum wages it will be with a purpose that you can hardly comprehend. The picture of the US economy is so big that what you can do is just stare at a single pixel. I mean yes, the cost may raise but with how much? You might not even feel it. Do you think that companies can just raise cost as much as they want (because that's not how it is)? Also, not all costs will raise! Eventually people with higher minimal wages will spend their excess money and will contribute to the business overally. And if you are a good employee in a good company you shouldn't get fired you may even get a raise as a result all this. So why the negative view, STOP COMPLAINING?!?

Posted by Tyler Durden

It's a requirement by law, that an employer adjust your hourly pay, to increase based on the current minimum wage. You only have to request about "if" it will happen. To see people *****ing and arguing over the concept of recieving more income with their paycheck, it's ridiculous. So, jobs will downsize to make up for the lack in budget due to the wage increases. Companies have been doing this for ages, it's the way of the better business.

[quote=Random]Heh.. if you want to help the poor, you might as well help me. I'm on my way to becoming poor with the motion of the raise already.

Well, then we initiate a Soylent Green procedure.. Yes, some of you will have to eat the poor, to conserve the costs of producing other foods.