Gears of War

Posted by Bebop

Whats the big deal?

Posted by Fate

It looks good, maybe?

Posted by Axis

And the fact that IGN/TeamXbox say that it's one of the best shooters they've played in a long time?

Posted by Bebop

Wow, now it sounds EXACTLY the same as every other sci fi shooter polluting the Xbox. What makes this generic FPS hardcore FPS different from the millions of other generic hardcore FPS games? Seriously. What makes it stand out from the crowd? Thrill me.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The fact that it's not an FPS at all, idk? Also the fact that it's not run-and-gun like every FPS out there, idk? It looks good, it looks fun, and that's all anyone really cares about. Plus, online is supposed to be fantastic.

Posted by Bebop

How is it not a run and gun or an FPS at all? Everything ive seen involves running into combat and shooting everything. OH SHI-

Then I have no idea what you're watching... because the whole point of the game is to get behind cover and NOT run straight into the enemies. Hence "stop-and-pop."

... and you do know FPS means "First Person Shooter," right? GoW being a third-person shooter. So I'd say that kinda separates it from every other FPS, being that it's not a FPS at all. OH SHI

Posted by Bebop

Even with the stratedgy elements I really dont see why people are crapping their pants over it. I think its fair to say people are won over by the graphics more than the gameplay. Which is something I dont beleive in. I'd like to try it but its not the big deal everyone is making it out to be.

It's over-hyped, that's why people are "crapping their pants" over it. Like I said, it looks really good and seems to play really well, and that has been spread to just about every gaming news outlet on the net and people are feeding off it. It's most likely not going to live up to the hype completely, but everything has been point to "This will be a truly great game" so of course people get excited.

Obviously, if this sort of stuff isn't your cup of tea, then there's no point in even discussing it.

Plus, being developed by Epic doesn't hinder anything.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I'm posting in the least recently updated thread just to be a fag.

It does not live up to the hype, but it defintiely exceeded my expectations - so much so that I am now buying it as opposed to steering clear. It's a genuinely fun experience, and multiplayer much more so than Halo - although that may be due to the fact that I was playing with people around the same skill level as me, and not being forced into a match with ubershooters.

Quoted post: It does not live up to the hype,

It lives up to the hype. Definitely.

Don't be ridiculous. It's short and the multiplayer is broken.

Multiplayer works fine for me =/

Oh, and co-op is the best thing I've ever played in a game. So idk.

Co-op I'll give you. Versus play I've heard more arguments against than for, but of course I'll wait until I try it out myself.

Against? I haven't heard any complaints at all. I'm very pleased with Versus.

Actually, Ranked seems broken, I can't get into any matches, which there's barely any of. But, I was only doing that for achievements anyways, and player matches still work fine.

Yeah, there you go.

Posted by s0ul

I figured the huge amounts of hype and perfect scores would've entailed some sort of working Live feature. I guess I'm just picky.

Wait, so what exactly is wrong with it?

Posted by s0ul

[quote=s0ul]I meant Gears online, not Live in general. It takes like 6 years to find a list of rooms then you lose your connection to the host before you join it anyway. I have not gotten into a single game yet.

VRZ says it's already fixed, but he could be trying to trick me.

oh, I've ran into that once or twice in player match. Constantly in ranked though. So I don't even bother with ranked.

Though it usually takes me only ten seconds or less to generate a list of rooms *shrugs*

Posted by Moogs

Ahh, I got it today and it is AWESOME!!!! I've played through some of Act 1 on Hardcore and multiplayer... eh, I don't like how the health system works but the game is great nonetheless.

Health system is fine if you work in pairs or as a group. Plus, the multiple ways to one-shot-kill someone makes up for it.

Posted by Moogs

Well let me rephrase that, I hate how the logo shows up in the middle of the screen... but still I love this game.

Posted by brownoystercult

The logo is actually very helpful when you're playing the game. Especially since its a duck/cover game, when you cover you can wait till the logo goes away. That's a stupid thing to hate, really.

It's also ten times better than a health bar, or a number representing your health.

I love the logo indicator =/

Posted by Axis

Epic knows about the problem and are currently working on it. A patch should be coming in the next few days.

They'll also supply new maps and game-modes by the end of the year.

FREE?!

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Axis: Epic knows about the problem and are currently working on it. A patch should be coming in the next few days.

What problem?

Getting into matches. A lot of people are having "disconnected from host" or something like that whenever they try to join a match. I've really only run into it with ranked.

Posted by Axis

Gametypes will definitely be free. Dunno about the Maps, I heard that they would be free though.

Epic have a long history of providing free content for their games and have said constantly that they'll continue this with Gears.

If there was any time to break that tradition, it would be now on the 360. Hopefully not though. I have yet to buy anything on Live, and I'm not starting now.

And have said constantly that they'll continue this with Gears.

Posted by ZenN11

I gotta question about online.....sometimes I can't hear my team mates talk but I can hear the other team talking b4 the round starts and while Im dead? NE one else gets this problem and how do u fix it?

Voice chat has apparently dropped out for more than a couple people, including myself (once.) The only solution that I know of, other than waiting for it to come back on is just unplug your mic. If that doesn't work, which it did for me, you might have to exit the game or shut off your console.

Posted by XxLionheartXx

first of all Gears of War is one of the best games out right now! And the multiplayer is great but it just holds 8 people and the single player is just plain awesome!!!

Quoted post: And the multiplayer is great but it just holds 8 people

It would be annoying as hell with more. Even with 12 or 16 it would be impossible to coordinate any kind of decent attack.

Posted by Moogs

Ah, With 6 on 6 it could be possible, but overall 4 on 4 is the perfect number for Gears.

Yeah, it's about the right number. With something like Resistance I don't even know how it would work. Can you imagine trying to co-ordinate a team of 20 people with no assigned leader?

Posted by Moogs

Ha ha, not to mention people would be arguing over who should be leader.

Quoted post: Ah, With 6 on 6 it could be possible, but overall 8 on 8 is the perfect number for Gears.

Five on five is the max in my mind. Four on four being perfect. I love small games with comfortable maps. Which is why I adored CoD2. See, with Resistance, it's overkill. Read whatever review it was. The online is good, but there's way too many players which means the maps are so gigantic that it's almost not even any fun.

I don't even like 24 players, so I can't image forty. Good lord.

But that's the Power of the Cell Broadband Engine TM!

Posted by Moogs

Oh excuse me 4 on 4 is perfect, that's what I meant, ha. I must have been thinking 4 on 4 and 8 overall at the same time while typing, my apologizes for that

Posted by Dexter

Fun game. Got it the other day at the PS3 launch. Nearly finished it on co-op last night. We'll probably finish it tomorrow or something. Very gritty, masculine game. That Berserker was so much fun and it was actually pretty scary until we got used to it. And that cave was gorgeous, with the yellow lava or whatever. We were moving through the game so slowly, admiring the scenery and all.

Rented it yesterday and so far played through maybe half of the first mission. I'm enjoying it but seeing as I'm with four friends we're focusing more on multiplayer - which only has 2-player split screen (that decision blows by the way, what the hell? No excuse for not including 4-player local), so we've been on Fight Night and Halo more.

Posted by Dexter

Beat it earlier today. Now that that's over with I'll check out the online play. I was watching the girls play it online and it looked decent, but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as I do Call of Duty 3, although survival modes are my favorites. I would've liked it if Call of Duty 3 had some sort of survival mode.

I'm off of CoD3's online. I've discovered that I don't like it that much.

Posted by Dexter

Really...why? Too many players online at a time? Levels too large?

Those and the gun themselves. I don't like them; they don't compare to CoD2's. And though the classes are nice, I don't like how it's always Americans against Germans, rather than Germans against whoever the level belongs to. The variety of guns is also fairly lame in my opinion. I just prefer the feel of the last game.

Posted by Moogs

Quoting Wings: which only has 2-player split screen (that decision blows by the way, what the hell?

Yeah, that decision is stupid... overall though Gears online is awesome.

Well at least there will be a Gears trilogy so they can fix it. That decision blows also, though. I'd rather have a standalone game that was twice as long than three games the length of the game we have now.

Twice the length is too long. I'd rather have a trilogy, because you know every game will get better. Most likely. Plus, if it's just one it wouldn't feel complete. There's still things they can improve upon.

Posted by Moogs

Yeah, with Gears 2 the graphics will be improved and any flaw in this one will be improved.

Posted by Dexter

Maybe. Often some flaws are removed, along with other aspects that were better left untouched.

LIKE CALL OF DUTY 3!

Posted by Dexter

Well Halo 2 is probably a better example because it's overall a better game, it just did away with a few things that would've been better kept.

Nah, CoD3 is a perfect example. They added a ton of cool stuff, but took out or changed a lot of other stuff that would have made it better.

Posted by muffla

i like the beautiful blood that comes when you mix an aliens head and gun with a freakin chain saw :)

ctrl+alt+del has a good comic out with the chainsaw but their website isnt working now... ill post it later

What, the one where he keeps it behind the counter? That's an example of why CAD is becoming less and less appealing to me.

Posted by muffla

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20061027

that one

Webcomics suck.

TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW