Mega Man 6

Posted by Dexter

I beat Mega Man 6 this morning. It was an excellent game. Offered a good challenge and even some cosplaying. I found it to have the most interesting levels, too. More detailed backgrounds and fun themes. The two levels that stuck out to me the most were Tomahawk Man and Knight Man. The music for Tomahawk man was great, sounding as if horses were galloping.

The bosses were difficult, but you could beat any of them without the use of cosplaying or another weapon. As long as you're good at sliding and have the patience to keep dodging their attacks instead of simply charging and hoping their energy runs out before your own, you should be fine.

I was a fantastic hero. I rarely died from the robots, but instead was often taken out by one-hit death objects, such as falling into spikes or fire pits. Of course, those levels that involves lots of skilled jumping are often the levels that end up being the most difficult. Who can forget their troubles with those disappearing blocks or the eradicator beams that pop out of the walls on Quick Man's level in Mega Man 2? I remember as a young child spending hours in order to finally conquer that obstacle then mastering it near perfection. It doesn't seem that hard anymore, but there was certainly a time. Surprisingly, there were no disappearing blocks in any of the main boss levels of Mega Man 6, only the after levels, which is where the game truly becomes a challenge. The bosses in the after levels, such as Mechazaurus, Mettonger Z, and Tank-CS2 are easy, but the actual levels are tough stuff. It took many deaths to make it through.

And of course, there's always my favorite part towards the end when you get to fight all the bosses in a single stage. I always get the password so I can return here later in life when I feel like simply playing against the bosses. Most people don't appreciate this stage in the Mega Man games. They probably find them too repetitive and difficult. I'm usually pretty good at fighting the bosses by then so I don't find it too difficult and I like having another opportunity to fight against the bad guys and see how well I do. I can beat many of them without getting hit once and that is with using the regular weapon. Plant Man has the best style in costume but he was too easy to beat. I liked Flame Man's Arabian style, and his from-the-ground-fire was not an easy dodge. Flame Man was one of the few bosses I couldn't beat without getting hit at least once.

Now I just need to get and beat Mega Man 4, then I can move on to the Super NES Mega Man games!

[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cosplaydexterity/Nintendo/megaman6wolfy.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Megaman 6 was probably my least favorite entry of Megaman Games on the NES.

But that's doesn't mean that I don't like it. It's just that I LOVE Megman 1, 2 and 3 a whole hell of a lot, and I certainly like 4 and 5 a lot too.

But I do like 6, tremendously. It just seems like there wasn't much more that Capcom could do with the limitations put forth by the NES. It seems like by the time they started working on 6, they were tapped for ideas.

But Dex, I will say this. ALL of the NES Megaman Games are superior to the new Battle Network and all that stuff you see now. I didn't mind the SNES entries (and the X games) or even Megaman 8 for PSX, but I will always love the chubby 8-bit Megaman the best.

And you mentioned the stage in Wily's Castle where you have to fight all the bosses over again. I love that stage, in all of its incarnations. You see, not only do you have to beat all 8 bosses again. You have to do it without getting a game over. Normally, you can beat Centaur Man, then go attempt Knight Man, and if you fail, you don't have to do Centaur Man again; you just continue (w00t for passwords). But in the Wily Stage, you don't have that choice. You have to get them all without getting a game over, or you'll have to start over on them again.

Megaman Bosses aren't too challenging for me anymore, anyway. I can remember playing Megaman 2 when I was 7 years old, and getting so frustrated because of how difficult Crash Man was. Now, when I fight Crash Man, he usually doesn't touch me at all.

Plus, in the NES Megaman games especially, if you have that bosses weakness, you don't even have to avoid getting hit. You just fire the weapon in the right time and don't worry about getting hit yourself because he'll die before you do. It's not really like that in the X games

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Fei-on Castor: But Dex, I will say this. ALL of the NES Megaman Games are superior to the new Battle Network and all that stuff you see now.

What about the Zero Series? :(

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Arcadios: What about the Zero Series? :(

I'm not familiar with the Zero series, but I don't think it would be for me.

In a few of the X games, you're given the opportunity to play as Zero instead of X, and I don't like doing that because I like X more, even if he is weaker.

You know how in Megman X3, you could get that Gold Chip that gave X all four of the chip upgrades, instead of having to choose only one? It was cool and all, but I did not like that it made X all gold colored.

Posted by Dexter

I am so lost with the current Mega Man stuff. I lost track of where it was going a little before Mega Man 64 came out. I don't expect that it would ever be as much fun as the first 8 Mega Man games and that rad Mega Man soccer game.

It's difficult for me to decide what my favorite Mega Man game is. I really did like 6, but the rest were wonderful games, too. I didn't get the feeling that they lost ideas when they reached Mega Man 6. I remember Nintendo Power held a contest and people sent in their ideas for bosses and two of them were accepted. I think it was Knight Man and Wind Man that were accepted. That was amusing.

I probably have the most memories with Mega Man 2 and 3, but things seemed far more detailed in 5 and 6. I'm going to go on eBay now and see if I can find a good deal on Mega Man 4.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Interesting Megaman 4 fact. It was the first one where Megaman could power up his default weapon, "P" (or "Mega Buster"). He could power up the Heat weapon in MM2, but that was it.

I like the 8 "Megaman" games, the first 3 "Megaman X" games, and Megaman Soccer. I love Megaman Soccer. I actually managed to get my hands on a copy of it. Dr. Wily is a tough soccer player. He can block your super shots. He's the only one who can. I've beaten him a few times, with a lot of effort.

I remember the contest in question about Megaman 6.

I remember shortly before Megaman 3 came out, I lived in Phoenix. We used to go to the mall, and there was a store called "Captron". My understanding is that Captron was run by Capcom. You could just go in there and play the latest Capcom NES games, for free. There was a wall of TVs and a little push-button selector to pick what game you wanted to play. There were always lines for the good games, like Megaman. My brother Jason and I were down there in line for "Yo Noid!" one day, and some guy who claimed he worked for Capcom was taling to customers about Megaman. Jason mentioned to the guy that they should have a "Snake Man" in a Megaman game.

And sure enough! I can't guarantee there was any relationship at all. I was very young, so for all I know, that guy was just some simple mall employee. But it's weird, either way.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I'm not familiar with the Zero series, but I don't think it would be for me.

I think the Zero series is pretty good myself, as it continues the "classic" Mega Man gameplay and has a small link with the original games.

Congrats Dex! I never played MM6 myself. I want to pick it up, but I am debating whether I want the NES game or just pick up MM anniversary collection and get ALL 8 games in one swoop.

My favorite of them all BTW is 3. :cool:

Posted by Zapper

I don't think i've played any MM games past the first 3 :(
I probably should, since I liked the originals.
I've heard of the Zero series, but don't think I played any of those either.
Maybe i'll go play some MM games soon :p:

Posted by Supermario

I think Mega Man 6 is one of my favorite Mega Man games, it seems like most people don't like it as much. If I remember right the Mega Buster can charge for 2 times? I think you can find Proto Man in the game also? The games isn't that easy and it's not too hard, which is good. Mega Man 6 has pretty good graphics for the NES.

I don't know what my favorite Mega Man game is...

Posted by Dexter

Mega Man 6 is the best NES Mega Man game, graphically. I don't remember Proto Man being anywhere in the game. I didn't even notice.

Posted by Zeta

ProtoMan pops up in TomahawkMan's stage and gives you that item that gives picked up weapon energy to the weapon with the least energy.

Posted by Dexter

Strange how I don't recall that at all. I'll have to replay that level again to remind myself. I'll probably remember it once I see it again and go 'how could I forget this?'

Posted by Zeta

He's in a little hidden area. Near the end you have to bust some box with the Power Armor.

Posted by Dexter

Oh, I probably missed him entirely. There were a few secrets I missed along the way. I didn't think I missed anything that important though.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dexter: Mega Man 6 is the best NES Mega Man game, graphically.

Weren't all of them pretty much the same graphically (the NES games). I mean maybe over all level design might be better, but it seems that they pretty much used the same sprites for Mega Man and various enemies that re-occured in the series. It's not a bad thing though, cause 8 bit roxors! :cool: