Star Wars Galaxies

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Okay, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I don't collect action figures or posters or anything, but I love all 6 movies and have seen them many times. I know a lot of the stuipd nerdy stuff, too. Like, a lot of the races and names of characters that don't matter.

But I was seriously disappointed with this game. I thought it would be sweet to play with other people in the Star Wars Galaxy, and visit all the places there. Plus, I heard it takes place between episode 5 and 6, so that means that you'll see Stormtroopers and such, a thing absent from many SW games like KOTOR (which was still awesome).

So I played it and made a Rodian Bounty Hunter. He got boring shortly after I arrived on Tatooine. By the way, Greedo was a Rodian, in case you want to know what they are.

So I tried making someone different, a Zabrak Jedi. I figured, "Darth Maul was a Zabrak, so a Zabrak Jedi will rule". I went through the tutorial again, and I was disappointed to learn that as a Jedi, I'd be fighting with a "Polearm" instead of Lightsabre. But I figured it was only for the tutorial. I'd get my sabre soon enough.

I never got one, and I asked other players how I go about getting one. I was told it's quite a chore and it's really common to see Jedi without Lightsabres.

At that point, I decided that my $20 on the game and my monthly subscription were totally a waste. I've tried to play a few times since then, and not had much more luck liking the game.

What about you guys? Anyone else play this game at all? Anyone like it?

Posted by KoH

I gave it a try 3 times with about 2 months inbetween the first and second tries and roughly 4-5 months between the 2nd and 3rd tries. Not once has this game been installed on my computer longer than 24 hours.

I think it's really ****ty to be utterly honest. It takes FOREVER to get anything and, like you pointed out, to actually try and get them is a *****.

My honest recommendation is stay the **** away from this game. Not only does it cost 30 or so dollars (now at least, I paid the full 50 when it came out) but it's 15 bucks a month. In comparison to such games as City of Heroes/Villains and World of Warcraft, this game is nothing. Hell, even ****ing Matrix Online's better than this ****.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I remember seeing TV ads for it when it was coming out, and I was thinking, "Oh my g*d, that's the coolest idea ever."

And an effective interactive MMO Star Wars Galaxy would be sweet. The problem with that is that MMOs have a few distinct characteristics, and one of them is that you can't require a storyline. Most of them have an optional storyline if you wanna care about it, but honestly, when I play an MMORPG, I finish the gay tutorial, then get into the game, doing as I wish, which so far has had nothing to do with the story.

And that's the inherrent flaw with SWG. The Star Wars films have a linear story, and if they didn't, they wouldn't be nearly as cool as they are. I understand that you can fight Darth Vader in SWG, which is peculiar because there really isn't supposed to be any Jedi roaming about. And can you kill him? I don't know, can you fight and kill Darth Vader? Somewhat conflicting, if my Return of the Jedi serves me.

MMO games need to be playable, even free from story. As soon as I finished the Tansarii station junk with Han, we headed out for Tatooine, and I was all stoked to be going to Tatooine. But then we got there, and I learned that although I was a Jedi, I probably won't ever pick up a lightsabre.

Good luck dueling Vader with a f*cking polearm.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Fei-on Castor:
Good luck dueling Vader with a f*cking polearm.

You just summed up everything I put into this game for 3 years with that phrase.

I, too, played as a Bounty Hunter and a Jedi (among many other classes)... and they'd be the most fun, right?

Wrong.

They're just as boring as all the other classes.

And no matter how hard you try or how long you play, on the off chance you see Vader or Luke or someone... you probably will not kill them.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Well, I was disappointed when I started my Jedi character and there was a Jedi at Tansarii Station to begin my training. I had been told that Vader was the last of their religion, excepting Luke who was more of a makeshift frankenstein'd Jedi.

So I go to start my training, awaiting the little ball thing that shoots lasers that you have to deflect with the blast shield down. And then I get a polearm. Which is almost as cool as a lightsabre, except that it's not even close.

I mean, come on. Even 4 year old Younglings get to use Lightsabres during training.

And I inquired about them on Tatooine and learned that I most likely will never have one. That's when I stopped playing.

Plus the game was super buggy. There's a part on Tansarii where you have to get into a gun pod and shoot down a few fighters. And you're supposed to push some button (Maybe "Q"?) to leave the gunpod when you're done. And I pushed Q, and nothing happened. So I pushed all the various menu buttons and got no response. But I could still look around and fire the gun, I just couldn't leave. I couldn't even sign out.

Much like The Sims 2, the funnest part about Star Wars Galaxies was the part where you make your character. All down hill after that.