Re: Favourite song titles

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Panic: Anything by Weird Al really. His parodies are hilarious. White and Nerdy, The Bong Song, and Amish Paradise are my three favorites.

I am 90-99% certain that "Weird Al" Yankovic has never released a song called "The Bong Song", at least not on any of his studio albums. He may have played it as a concert-only song if the copyright holders of the original song refused to allow him to parody it. He has a few other songs like that.

But you're right, White and Nerdy is really funny. As is Amish Paradise. I'm really looking forward to his new CD.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I am 90-99% certain that "Weird Al" Yankovic has never released a song called "The Bong Song", at least not on any of his studio albums. He may have played it as a concert-only song if the copyright holders of the original song refused to allow him to parody it. He has a few other songs like that.

But you're right, White and Nerdy is really funny. As is Amish Paradise. I'm really looking forward to his new CD.

I downloaded the song, and it's not live. I also couldn't find any album info on it.. so maybe it's unreleased?

Posted by Omni

Okay, Al has said that his main beef with file-sharing is that people always credit him for creating songs that he didn't make, and usually ones with bad messages. He said he tries to keep his music as family friendly as possible.

Here's a list of songs that he did not make that I got from his Wikipedia article:

[URL="http://free.house.cx/~eil/etc/notal_list.html"]http://free.house.cx/~eil/etc/notal_list.html[/URL]

Here's a list of his recordings from his own site:

[URL="http://www.weirdal.com/rcdgdate.htm"]http://www.weirdal.com/rcdgdate.htm[/URL]

Now, "Bong Song" is on the list of things he did not record, and I'm pretty sure it would violate his family friendly policies since it sounds like it's about doing drugs.

Posted by WackoHater2

I'm probably wrong then. Still a funny song.

Posted by Omni

It's funny some of the things that people attributed to him that wound up on that list, because some of it is stuff that he would never do...

Oh, and this to my list:

"Kyle Petty (Son Of Richard)" by Soundgarden!

Posted by Fei-on Castor

The Bong Song is pretty good example of that. Weird Al has tried to make a point to record family friendly songs, with only a few exceptions (like "Jerry Springer" and "Truck Driving Song"). Oh, and maybe Talk Soup. That one was kinda bad in parts. But generally speaking, he writes stuff you'd let your kids listen to. And a lot of the songs that are listed as "Weird Al Yankovic" on P2P clients are really profane.

I really respect Weird Al. He's a brilliant guy with his head screwed on straight.

Posted by Omni

He's a very underrated musical genius. I'm not a fan, but I have a lot of respect for him and the way he does things, such as the way he's willing to ask to do parodies of people's songs before he does them.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Fei-on Castor: The Bong Song is pretty good example of that. Weird Al has tried to make a point to record family friendly songs, with only a few exceptions (like "Jerry Springer" and "Truck Driving Song"). Oh, and maybe Talk Soup. That one was kinda bad in parts. But generally speaking, he writes stuff you'd let your kids listen to. And a lot of the songs that are listed as "Weird Al Yankovic" on P2P clients are really profane.

I really respect Weird Al. He's a brilliant guy with his head screwed on straight.

Did he do the Backstreet Boys spoof "We're All Gay"? Someone told me he did.. but singing about how a boy bang is gay isn't really family oriented.

Posted by Omni

No, that's also on the Not Al list.

Posted by WackoHater2

I didn't feel like looking at the list. Honestly, I forgot.. sorry. :(

Posted by Omni

I wasn't coming down on you or anything. I don't even remember if it's by that title, but I remember seeing it when I read through it. Some of the stuff on that list just makes you go, "Why would people think he made this song?!" A few of them sound like stuff he'd make, though.

Posted by Raptor

My fondness for Weird Al has dwindled over the years. I feel as if I have outgrown his work, for the most part. His last two or three albums have failed to capture my interest. I have and will always respect him as a truly talented parody musical artist, undoubtedly the best out there. He has been around for decades, after all, and was a staple of my childhood. I was heavily into him during my middle school years, and I'll never forget bringing my boombox on field trips then and blasting "Smells Like Nirvana" and "Amish Paradise" in response to all the ****ty rock and rap everyone was into. It actually ****ed people off who took Coolio seriously, and that pleased me. I also used to be an avid viewer of the Weird Al Show.

Posted by Arcadios

I like Weird Al, I think he should do more rap song parodies.

Posted by Vg200x

Weird Al will cross the line if he has to but it won't be on any of his album's because yes, weird al likes to make sissy albums(not that that's a bad thing) but he likes to promote his self in his own fashion, if someone else promotes something that he did usly he didn't do it.

Posted by Kit

I like Weird Al too, I like "Polkarama", his version of "Bohemian Rhapsody", and "White and Nerdy" best, I've only heard a few others though. Such as "The Night Santa Went Crazy", "eBay song" and One other I can't remember the name of, I think they're all fun. :)

Posted by Omni

There's a song on the Not Al list that I found amusing, called "Asshole Son", which is a parody of "Black Hole Sun"...

Posted by WackoHater2

I agree with Arc, he should do more rap song parodies.

Posted by Omni

Hey, I'd like to see him do a Nine Inch Nails song, which he might have done already, but I'm not sure, because I don't really listen to him.

Posted by Boner

Anything by Weird Al is worth seeing/listening to once, but no more than that (unless it's against your own will). Anything more than that is an automatic /phail at life.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Stone Cold Crazy: Hey, I'd like to see him do a Nine Inch Nails song, which he might have done already, but I'm not sure, because I don't really listen to him.

He had "Closer" in one of his polkas. The one on Bad Hair Day, I think. If it wasn't that one, it was the one on Running With Scissors, but I'm pretty it was the one on Bad Hair Day. Plus, he did that song "Germs" on Running With Scissors, which was a style parody of NIN.

Posted by Omni

Okay, I'll check those out.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Pretty sure its the polka on BHD. I never thought of germs as a style parody, but now that i think about it it is.:/

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Boner: Anything by Weird Al is worth seeing/listening to once, but no more than that (unless it's against your own will). Anything more than that is an automatic /phail at life.

A good point has been made. Replay value of Weird Al albums is generally pretty terrible, as far as private listening goes.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Raptor: A good point has been made. Replay value of Weird Al albums is generally pretty terrible, as far as private listening goes.

I suppose, but that's up to taste. I've listened to all of his albums, many times. And I'm not bored of them at all.

That could be true of any artist, depending on what you like. I like Weird Al's songs, and not just because they're funny. My favorite songs are usually his originals.

Plus, his music has been the soundtrack to many hours of video gaming.

Posted by Zeta

You play Polkamon while playing Pokemon, don't you?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Zeta: You play Polkamon while playing Pokemon, don't you?

The only Pokemon I ever liked was Red and Blue Versions, the originals. I played them before the song "Polkamon" was even around. Pokemon was definitely played while listening to "Off the Deep End"