OH ***, I'VE GONE DEAF!

Posted by Zeta

k, for some reason, my speakers have stopped working, so now I can't watch anything online, listen to music, or even play VBA. According to the WMP help thing:

[quote]Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there may be a problem with the sound or video device, such as a sound or video card.

Your sound or video device may require an updated driver. To determine if an updated driver is available, see the Windows Update page at the Microsoft Web site, or see the sound or video device manufacturer's Web site.

So I go to the update page, and I don't see anything related to sound. What do I do? I'm no good with computers. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Right-click on My Computer, properties, device manager, see what's under audio. or look for a yellow "?"

that should tell you if a driver is missing. Assuming the actual speakers aren't busted, which they're not it seems.

and you might have to crack open your case, check out the audio card/motherboard, go to the site and download from there.

Posted by Zeta

This is the only thing that showed up with a yellow circle, but it has an exclamation mark. =/
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/trubleshoting.jpg

I'll get to checking the audio card.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Metal Sonic Zeta: This is the only thing that showed up with a yellow circle, but it has an exclamation mark. =/
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/trubleshoting.jpg

I'll get to checking the audio card.

That's what he meant. It definately is your soundcard having issues. Just follow what Vampiro said.

Posted by Boner

I've had this happen before. I think the problem was two different sound devices trying to do the same job. I had to manually turn one of them off. It happened after I unplugged my PC for a while to do some cleaning and plugged it back in. Perhaps this is your problem. It may not even be driver related.

Posted by Zeta

k, so my audio card is Avance Logic. Looking for the driver now.

[quote]I've had this happen before. I think the problem was two different sound devices trying to do the same job. I had to manually turn one of them off. It happened after I unplugged my PC for a while to do some cleaning and plugged it back in. Perhaps this is your problem. It may not even be driver related.

How would I check that?

Posted by Proto Man

Do you have onboard sound in addition to your sound card?

Posted by Klarth

Proto's asking if your motherboard has a built-in sound device.

Not patronising; just in case you didn't know.

Posted by Zeta

Not sure. :cookie:

Though for some reason, the sound on some stupid Captain Crunch game my sister recently installed still works. Would that have anything to do with this problem?

Ninja'd. But still, dunno. MY STUPiDITY WITH COMPUTERS KNOWS NO BOUNDS.

Posted by Proto Man

Yeah as opposed to being an expansion card. It would be on the motherboard itself. Like Boner said, if there are two sound devices on at the same time, they conflict. So if you have onboard sound AND a sound card turned on at the same time, they fight to be the main sound device.

If you only have one sound device, then I suggest going back to checking to see if there are any drivers.

Posted by Boner

Exactly. It's not odd for your sound to still work with certain software though. The best way to check if you have onboard sound as well (at this point, I'm guessing you do) is to check the back of your computer. If you see 2 separate sets of "headphone" jacks, then you have two audio devices. You will have to manually shut off the onboard one in your device manager.

Speaker jacks are green btw :cookie:

Posted by Boner

Get it fixed yet?

Posted by Zeta

No. >_>;

I've been fiddling around with it, though. It might be better to just have my grandfather come over and take a look at it.

Posted by Zeta

Wait, wait, nevermind. I installed some program that automatically updates drivers, and today everything seems fine and dandy.

lol double-post, i'm a bad boy.

People like you are the best.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Protoman]So if you have onboard sound AND a sound card turned on at the same time, they fight to be the main sound device.
Unless you actually specify which sound card you wish to use as the primary sound device, which can be set in Windows and most audio-related programs or driver software. I have two sound devices and they both work together in harmony.

Posted by KoH

There's a Captain Crunch game? What idiot thought that'd sell?