Probably the biggest reason to despise Sony

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoted post: Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

[URL="http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901"]http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901[/URL]

Total fucking assholes, this is absolutely despicable.

Posted by Klarth

CLOSED DOWN?

OH HOLY **** NO. This is ****ing out of order.

Posted by Lord of Spam

K, this is a valid reason to be ****ed at them.

Posted by Hammered On

Holy ****.

Posted by Fate

When was the ban on imports thing brought up? If it was brought up ex post facto in a U.S. court, Sony may not have won. I don't know if England has an ex post facto law. If it does have something similar, then the ban on imports should've been paid attention to.

If the timeline is right, it should go like this:

Sony bans imports - Lik-San sells imports - Lik-San gets sued

If the timeline is screwed up, like this:

Lik-San sells imports - Sony bans imports - Lik-San gets sued

...then I can understand how people would be upset, seeing as how I'd think it would be pretty pricktastic. But if this lawsuit came after the ban, it's just the law.
:/

Posted by Klarth

The import ruling was to do with consoles not meeting safety standards. Thing is, though, the consoles carried CE marks and EVERYTHING in this case. :/

Sony never banned imports. They don't make laws, dear.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Princess Fate][COLOR=skyblue]Sony bans imports

it's just the law.[/COLOR] :/

SONY ARE NOT BE ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION THE LAW. GET THE HELL OUT.

Posted by Fate

It's their product, so I thought they had all the rights on how and where to sell it. Makes a lot of sense.

I didn't say Sony made the law, dick. Copyright is copyright.

Posted by Klarth

No. No, no, it doesn't.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Princess Fate: If the timeline is right, it should go like this:

Sony bans imports - Lik-San sells imports - Lik-San gets sued

If the timeline is screwed up, like this:

Lik-San sells imports - Sony bans imports - Lik-San gets sued

...then I can understand how people would be upset, seeing as how I'd think it would be pretty pricktastic. But if this lawsuit came after the ban, it's just the law.
:/

[COLOR="Yellow"]If it's the former, then Sony has all the right to take legal action concerning it's own copyrighted product.[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

Sony

can't

ban

imports.

Should I put it in bold next time?

Posted by Proto Man

Lol, they needed money to cover their butts for the big MS lawsuit, which will probably sink THEM down a couple notches.

Quoting fnool: Sony

can't

ban

imports.

Should I put it in bold next time?

Here, I'll do it for you...

[SIZE="7"]SONY CAN'T BAN IMPORTS![/SIZE]

This really stinks though. What are they going to do next... sue eBay?

Posted by Fate

Grey importing means it's not intended for sale there [yet]. It's specifically for Europe (which I find odd). Apparently, Sony can dictate when, where, and how the product is being sold, otherwise the law wouldn't be in their favor. Sony gave a reason, and it didn't matter what, and the judges agreed.

Edit: Grey imports aren't illegal at all. But I think there's some loophole to it that says the manufacturer has a right to dictate where stuff sells, etc.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Princess Fate: Copyright is copyright.

That has NOTHING to do with importation. Lets rewind back to the late 90's. Super Mario RPG comes out. Poor Speedy can't buy it, because it wasn't released in the UK. Now lets say I happen to be a retailer, who happens to also export to other country's. I ALREADY PAID NINTY FOR THE PRODUCT. So there should be nothing stopping Speedfreak from buying a US SNES and Super Mario RPG. Same thing goes for Lik-sang. If they already paid for the products, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD SONY GRIPE?

Or lets say I want to get a PS3 game or product BEFORE it comes out in US. There really shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

So...sony makes their products unsafe for Japanese and American gamers so that they can't be sold in Europe? No wonder their products are so faulty.

On Lik-Sang closing down...Yes. sony will burn for this. Not that I'm for communism or China's general arrogance or anything, but it seems to me that Lik-Sang and the Chinese courts should have just laughed at sony's European legal action and ignored it. "We pay later! Later!"

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Princess Fate][COLOR=skyblue]It's their product, so I thought they had all the rights on how and where to sell it. Makes a lot of sense.

I didn't say Sony made the law, dick. Copyright is copyright.[/COLOR]

Sony have absolutely no right to tell retailers who they can sell to, Lik-Sang weren't brought to court based on this. They were brought to court based on the fact that Japanese PSPs aren't EU safety certified (which, if ANYTHING, is Sony's fault and not Lik-Sang's), which is why it was in a UK court. Not only is this the most hypocritical thing to bankrupt an honest fucking company on, it's also wrong. Everything sold was safety certified!

All because Sony can't handle the fact that a few thousand people at most got PSPs in the UK before the rest of Europe, WHICH IS SONY'S OWN SCREW-UP IN THE FIRST DAMN PLACE.

This has absolutely nothing to do with copyrights, you're just utterly blindly defending them. They are so far in the wrong here it's absolutely unreal.

Posted by TendoAddict

You know theres a few moments when I think Sony might just be in it for the customer and are really dedicated ( a few)

Then this sh[COLOR="White"]i[/COLOR]t comes up and I see that Sony is a bunch of Business elitist pricks.

Oh well, I guess its funny to see the fan boys try and make this ok. Like trying to say that the sky is green, either you're so stupid that you don't know better or your flat out lying.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting TendoAddict: Oh well, I guess its funny to see the fan boys try and make this ok.

Yeah, I just checked GFAQs' PS3 board, (Always good for a laugh.) and there's a ton of idiots going "Lik Sang deserved it."

Sony must hate the UK or something. =/

Posted by Klarth

FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE UK POUNDS STERLING
GIANT ENEMY BULLDOG

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Jesus Christ, this is retarded. Lik-Sang was actually pretty good, and I've used them more times than I can count. **** Sony...

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Metal Sonic Zeta:
Sony must hate the UK or something. =/

Well you know what??? THE UK HATES SONY TOO! :mad:

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

This isn't new. Lan-Kwei was shut down a few years ago and now only sells unofficial enhancements and obsolete stock. What I hate about this is Lik-Sang's reaction. It's unbelievably unprofessional.

Actually, scratch that. What I hate about this is the fact that it's happened at all. What really interests me is what's going to happen to Play Asia and whether the whole importing scene is going to destroy itself.

Posted by Zeta

Kinda stupid for the PS3 to be region-free if Sony doesn't want importing.

Posted by Hyper

I was gonna make this topic this morning. Ugh. I can't believe this. Lik-Sang were so good :( Let's just hope the best for PlayAsia.

edit: doesn't this belong in general gaming?

Posted by lameboyadvance

...Well f*ck. :eek:

I used to treat Sony as a rival, like in the days of Nintendo vs Sega, but with their recent actions in the past couple years they are now my enemies instead. :mad:
Lik-Sang was one of the best importers. Period. Their service and stock was second to none.

They will be missed.

...And what really p*sses me off is the fact I didn't get a Dreamcast coder cable while I had the chance... :(

Posted by ExoXile

I wonder in Sony wants to be hated...

Posted by Unite

Since i almost never buy imported games this isn't really a big deal to me at all.

Are import companies / stores really that rare?

Posted by ExoXile

It's the principle.

Posted by Klarth

And Lik-Sang were probably the most reliable of these stores. Playasia are good, but not nearly quite as much.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, of course, nothing matters if it doesn't directly affect you.

Could not Lik-Sang make a triumphant return should they defeat this legal action in court? Most of sony's other lawsuits have resulted in Spectacular Failure in recent times, after all.

Posted by Unite

Lik-Sang sounds like a korean company , is it?

Posted by Bebop

It cant be because Americans use it :p:

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Could not Lik-Sang make a triumphant return should they defeat this legal action in court? Most of sony's other lawsuits have resulted in Spectacular Failure in recent times, after all.

Can't afford it. If they could have done that, they would have by now, considering that Sony's case against them was completely falsified.

Posted by Bebop

Oh Christ the reailty of this Sony madness has finally hit me! I was planning to import ol Elebits from lik Sang (which had free gobal posting) but now I cant! Thanks Sony, you ruined Christmas for me!

Posted by Klarth

Do we yet know whether the Wii is region free or not?

Not. Region-locked, though I believe they once said it was region free.

Posted by Speedfreak

We still don't really know, actually. Gamespot did a rumour control on it after the UK boss said it was region-locked, and they found it was in fact region-free. That leads me to believe that it could be region free in the US and Japan but region-locked in Europe.

As far as I know the situation has never been completely cleared up.

Yeah, that's what a figured so I threw in that last bit just in case. That would suck for Europe if they were the only territory to be locked though.

Posted by Bebop

Considering how badly Europe gets treated by Nintendo I wouldnt be too suprised.

Current rumours are that the Startup Disc contains the region locking. If so, I am annoyed. I like the fact that I can get asian versions of Activision or Ubisoft games for half the price and they'll still work on my 360.

Pfft. If the startup disc contains the region coding, all you would need to do is get your hands on the Japanese startup disc and reformat your system whenever you want to play imports. 'Slong as you keep your game saves and Virtual Console games on an SD card, you'll be fine.

Bugger that. It's a weak workaround at best, and it shouldn't have to be implemented.