Nas

Posted by Arcadios

Seriously, one of the greatest MCs ever.
Tell me what you think about Nas and post your favorite album of his.
I'd have to say Illmatic and then God's Son.

Nas has been on the Hip-Hop scene since 1991.
He has 7 solo albums and 1 currently in the making.
He first showed up on a song intitled "Live At The BBQ" with The Main Source.
He was the first to rap on the track and he basically killed it for everyone else to try.

His first solo, studio album, Illmatic, is considered one of the best hip-hop albums of all time.
Released on April 19, 1994.
Illmatic consist of 10 tracks which featured productions by DJ Premier, L.E.S., Pete Rock and Large Professor.
Each track was considered a classic and three of the most notable ones are N.Y State of Mind, The World is Yours and It Ain't Hard to tell.
The album went platinum even thou it was heavly bootlegged.
The album cover is the first of his many to have a symbolic meaning behind it.
It shows a picture of Nas in his childhood around ages 7 to 9 and behind is his home, Queens.
I highly recommend this album for any hip-hop fan.

It Was Written, Nas' second solo, sutdio album.
Released on July 2, 1996.
More comercially succesful then Illmatic, mainstream wise.
It contains 14 tracks.
The 3 most notable ones are The Message, Street Dreams and I Gave You Power.
The second of his album cover which features a picture of himself during his teens but with the same Queens background.

I Am..., Nas' thrid solo, studio album.
Released on April 6, 1999.
It contains 16 tracks.
The 3 most notable tracks are N.Y State of Mind Part 2, We Will Survive and Undying Love.
I consider it lesser to Illmatic and It Was Written but it was good none the less.
The thrid album which contains his home, Queens, in the back ground but now we see nas in the form of a pharaoh.

Nastradamus, Nas' fourth solo, studio album.
Released on November 23, 1999.
It terms of raw material it delivers less then any of this previous albums and has been criticized for it's lack of creativity unlike his past work.
The album contains 15 tracks.
The 3 most notable ones being Life We Chose, Quiet Niggas and New World.
The final album which features a picture of Queens in the background.
Now we see Nas take new personality.
His one being a Prophet, completeing his change from child to man to king to prophet.

Stillmatic, Nas' fifth solo, studio album.
Released on December 18, 2001.
This album has been said to have reemergence Nas atop the hip-hop scene.
The album contains 14 tracks.
The 3 most notable songs being Stillmatic (Intro), Ether and One Mic.
As the album conver we see nas standing on a wall and we see New York City in the back with dark, rain filled clouds above it representing an apocalyptic end to the city and the hip-hop scene.
We also see a pigeon beside Nas which has a biblical meaning behind it.

Gods Son, Nas' sixth solo, studio album.
Released on December 13, 2002.
Dedicated to his deceased mother.
The ablum contains 14 tracks.
The album is more personal then anything as he begins to enter a spiritual state of mind.
The 3 most notable tracks are Get Down, Thugs Mansion (N.Y.) and Heaven.
What we see in the album cover is Nas, alone with a blue back ground and a golden chain which is Jesus Christ.
Him being unclothed is a symbol of Nas being naked of sin, finally realising more of a spritiual mind.

Nas' seventh solo, studio album.
This being his first double album.
Released on November 30, 2004.
The first disc contains 12 tracks and the second containg 13 tracks.
The 3 most notable tracks on the album are A Message To The Feds, Sincerely, We the People, Just A Moment and Street's Disciple.
On the cover we see Nas on a table and 12 of his diffrent personalities.
It is shaped after The Last Supper.

To read more on the album covers go [url=http://escobartheory.blogspot.com/2006/07/deep-covers.html]here[/url].

Posted by WackoHater2

Nas is pretty good. I underrated him at first. I don't really have a favorite album. My favorite songs are Ether and One Mic. Ether is a really good dis.

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Panic: Nas is pretty good. I underrated him at first. I don't really have a favorite album. My favorite songs are Ether and One Mic. Ether is a really good dis.

Sort of lame now, since they're not hating on each other anymore. They went on tour together in 2005.

And yes, my favorite album is Illmatic also. I don't think he'll ever be able to top that, unless he's true to his word that his new album will be even better.

Posted by Desperado

You forgot sum albums on there tho....(The Lost Tapes being the closest one to match Illmatic's Status)

The Lost Tapes (featuring unreleased material)
The Lost Tapes 2 (featuring unreleased material)
QB's Finest (A Colabortion Album)
The Album (A Colaboration Album featuring Az, Foxy Brown & Nature)
From Illmatic 2 Stillmatic (A Remix Album)

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Desperado: You forgot sum albums on there tho....(The Lost Tapes being the closest one to match Illmatic's Status)

The Lost Tapes (featuring unreleased material)
The Lost Tapes 2 (featuring unreleased material)
QB's Finest (A Colabortion Album)
The Album (A Colaboration Album featuring Az, Foxy Brown & Nature)
From Illmatic 2 Stillmatic (A Remix Album)

Yea I was mostly looking toward the solo career but excluded The Lost Tapes since it was just to set the material out to the fans and less of an attempts for chart chances.
Same thing can be said about From Illmatic to Stillmatic since it only had remixes and 6 tracks. The Album was a group effort too and I just made it for solo and The Lost Tapes 2 hasen't been released yet.

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Arcadios: Yea I was mostly looking toward the solo career but excluded The Lost Tapes since it was just to set the material out to the fans and less of an attempts for chart chances.
Same thing can be said about From Illmatic to Stillmatic since it only had remixes and 6 tracks. The Album was a group effort too and I just made it for solo and The Lost Tapes 2 hasen't been released yet.

Yeh, albums for the hardcore fans of Illmatic & It Was Written. Stillmatic was a good effrot tho...

Posted by Arcadios

Heh, I highly enjoyed Stillmatic since it was alot better than Nastradamus.
Most don't consider God's Son as one of his greatest thou.
One of the reasons I like it so much was it had more to do with spirituality.

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Arcadios: Heh, I highly enjoyed Stillmatic since it was alot better than Nastradamus.
Most don't consider God's Son as one of his greatest thou.
One of the reasons I like it so much was it had more to do with spirituality.

g0ds Son reminds me of Illmatic in a way. More than Stillmatic cause like you mentioned...Nas was alot more personal here. Illmatic is on the same level because he once said that it took him his entire life to make that album. Think of it as Yin & Yang. On his first EP, he was full of sin..but on GS, he let all of it go.

Posted by Arcadios

It was mostly personal due to the fact that his mother died of cancer during the development of it. Thus why the song Dance was on the album. It was Hip-Hop album of the year from Times magazine.

Posted by Desperado

Yeh I know. Probably one of the best albums to come out in 2002.

Posted by brownoystercult

Can't wait for "Hip Hop is Dead".

I didn't like "Kingdom Come" all too much.

Posted by Arcadios

Heh, not many did but I enjoyed more than most of his albums.
It's not better than The Blueprints, that's for sure.

Posted by Desperado

I believe that Jay's best effort was Reasonable Doubt

Posted by Arcadios

I dunno why but I like The Blueprints more than Reasonable Doubt.
Don't get me wrong, I love em both but I think one of the reasons I'm a little turned away by Reasonable Doubt if because Jay modeled his flow after Nas' since he idolized him so much.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: I dunno why but I like The Blueprints more than Reasonable Doubt.
Don't get me wrong, I love em both but I think one of the reasons I'm a little turned away by Reasonable Doubt if because Jay modeled his flow after Nas' since he idolized him so much.

IMO, Reasonable Doubt >>> Blueprint

Something about that album is just great. The production is really on point, and flow wise/ lyrically its probably Jay's best. D'evils and Dead Presidents make it a classic in my books.

Blueprint had some great songs (Song Cry, Heart of the City, Renegade) but it wasn't as flawless as Reasonable Doubt was.

Posted by Arcadios

Heard that Nas might make a follow up album this year.
http://soundslam.com/articles/news/news.php?news=070111_nasmak
:)

Posted by WackoHater2

I have a new favorite song by Nas: Get Down.

Posted by Arcadios

You've been having the same song for some time.
=/

Posted by WackoHater2

Yeah. It's a good song though. I was actually gonna buy the "God's Son" album a few weeks ago. I put it back for Marilyn Manson's Greatest Hits though.

Posted by Omni

Arc, I remember I got this one song from you on AIM by Nas and Busta Rhymes called "Suicide Bounce" or something like that. Even though I'm not really a rap fan, I thought it was a cool song. I don't know where it went on my PC, though.

Quoting Panic: Yeah. It's a good song though. I was actually gonna buy the "God's Son" album a few weeks ago. I put it back for Marilyn Manson's Greatest Hits though.

LOL...Antichrist Superstar and maybe Mechanical Animals are his only albums worth listening to, but mainly Antichrist Superstar. Nine Inch Nails will always blow his material out of the water, since he's basically tried to model his music after Trent Reznor, largely with help from the man himself.