volcano

Posted by Klarth

Wednesday

See the column of people in the distance? That's about as far as I got before I turned back after it started sleeting. Never made it to the crater.

Ice axes are ****ing metal

Didn't take this one, but red circle marks about where I got to, and red line indicates the level I was on when I started to climb

Eight hours up, four hours down, after the grueling trek I sat in the hotel's sauna for a while and decided that I'd have to have one built when I'm living in the real world. <3 sauna forever

Posted by Lord of Spam

OH WAH I HATE THAT I GET TO TRAVEL ALL OVER THE PLACE BOO HOO POOR ME I HAVE TO HAVE KICKASS ADVENTURES WAH PITY ME PLZ

I hope you die in a plane crash on the way home.

Posted by Kit

hate saunas, too fu[COLOR="White"]c[/COLOR]king hot for my liking

Posted by ExoXile

I could outsauna you so guud, Jack.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Lord of Spam]OH WAH I HATE THAT I GET TO TRAVEL ALL OVER THE PLACE BOO HOO POOR ME I HAVE TO HAVE KICKASS ADVENTURES WAH PITY ME PLZ
Hey, I was expecting it to ****ing suck - Past experience does that. I was only pissed because the flight was booked without my knowledge or approval, thus ****ing up all the plans I'd made for my two-week break, and the last time I was forced down to this continent was on a trip to Uruguay, which I was led to believe would be awesome. I was misled. Never visit Uruguay. It blows. THERE IS NOTHING IN URUGUAY. IT IS A THIRD-WORLD WASTELAND.

Besides, count yourself lucky on always knowing you've got somewhere to go back to. I want a permament home more than anything, but you can't always get what you want, y'know?

Posted by ExoXile

KLARTH!
I OUTOCK THE SAUNAING YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Klarth

Scandinavia doesn't count.

Scandinavia never counts.

Posted by ExoXile

Sweden, is not scandinavia.
NOT.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Huh, that's certainly something I'll never experience, just because I know I couldn't walk for that long up a hill. Pretty **** cool though.

Posted by Klarth

Snow is a ***** to walk through, but it does have the benefit of traction - I started to slide back down on the way up, and wham, snowdrift broke my descent. Apparently it's a good deal harder in the summer.

Posted by Raptor

A couple of the photographs are terribly overexposed, but at least they still manage to capture the Majesty quite well. Volcanoes are wonderful to climb, and there is nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction and victory after finally making it to the summit. You are gasping for breath, entire body sore from extreme exertion and numb from the cold, but you made it. You raise up your arms in victory, when a strong breeze hits, prompty sending you slip-sliding to your doom.

I still want to climb to Mauna Loa's summit soon. It's possible to do it in a day, but the way up there is a grueling trek through a vast foreboding realm of lifelessness (like the internet lol), featuring endless fields of rock, extremely thin oxygen levels, and intense tropical UV exposure. I'm already talking myself into it again.

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, I had to make do with my mother's camera - No excuse for the horrible photography, but the battery was on the verge of dying and I was incapable of navigating Sony's horrible maze of menus when my hands were half-numb. Still, I ran two of the decent photographs I took through Photoshop - [url=http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5526/dsc00214copylargerc9.jpg]Here[/url] and [url=http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8055/dsc00216copylargevl6.jpg]here[/url].

I would've done some HDRI if I'd remembered to jot down the right exposure settings. Blast.

Posted by The Judge

I always hated trudging up snowy hills, though doing that seems really exciting. Pity you couldn't make it to the crater though. Props.

Posted by Klarth

Wouldn't have been able to see anything anyway; one of the Germans skiing from the summit told me that there was far too much sulphurous smog up there to actually make out the bottom of the caldera.

Google images gives me this photo from 1995, though:

Posted by Ant

Those are some awesome screenshots of your awesome adventure.

Posted by Klarth

warrior 17

Posted by Slade

That looks like it was fun. How many people were with you?

Posted by Klarth

Four - My mother, her partner and two guides we hired. The former two, however, tired out pretty quickly so I went on ahead with one of the guides, and wound up getting maybe 500 metres ahead of them - They didn't even cross the false brow, which was a shame for them.

I wouildn't say "fun" was the right way to describe it, but looking back on it... It really was one of the highlights of my life. It's something I'd love to do again someday, and maybe actually reach the top this time.

Posted by ExoXile

Sauna's like, one of the best things in the world.

Posted by Klarth

Ohhhh yes.

Posted by Dreadnought

Wow, sounds like a definite improvement on last time. I'm really jealous, and surprised your mother would actually let you do something fun in her presence. Be sure to take more awesome pictures before you leave the country.

[quote=Klarth]you can't always get what you want, y'know?

But if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need. :cookie:

[COLOR=DimGray]

You have'nt made an Agalloch reference yet.[/COLOR]

Posted by Apathetic

Sounds fun. I wouldnt mind doing something like that.