Sony's attempt at price comparison

Posted by Klarth

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

So, users are apparently "required to buy" a hard drive, a wireless controller, a whole year's XBL gold subscription and an HD-DVD drive? Ahahahahahahaha hahahaha hahahahaha aahaha ahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahah aahahahahahahaaaaa. Also, they've stated that Nintendo's service is free for only the first six months, when, in reality, it's just the Opera download that'll cost cash six months after the console's launch - Up until then it'll be free.

Microsoft are apparently seeking legal action for this FUD.

Posted by higbvuyb

At this rate, Sony is so busy spewing bull**** that they'll never get around to actually making PS3s.

It's plain obvious that for a hundred dollars less, the Xbox 360 always did far more than the PS3 will ever do, other than play Blu-ray movies, which suck anyway.

Posted by Hyper

haha, look, we're talking about it so it must be a good thing!

Posted by Bebop

That's it! I've had it with these mutha****ing snakes on this mutha****ing plane!

Posted by Prince Shondronai

If you want your 360 decked out with all of that useless crap, then I suppose it does force you to buy it, whereas the ps3 is useless right out of the box. Good thinking, sony!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's like when people say "Oh well, if you buy three games eith the 360 it's the exact same price as the PS3... so really it's no different." **** always annoys me.

Posted by Klarth

What the **** kind of logic is that? That's like saying "oh, yeah, well you can go to a yard sale and pick up an Atari 2600 with 80 games for the same price as a 20GB PS3, so it doesn't make a difference."

wtf

Quoted post: What the **** kind of logic is that? That's like saying "oh, yeah, well you can go to a yard sale and pick up an Atari 2600 with 80 games for the same price as a 20GB PS3, so it doesn't make a difference."

Yet, I've heard it more times than I can count.

Posted by Proto Man

The Opera thing for Wii, that's just a one time price, right?

Posted by Klarth

For six months after the console's launch, it'll be a free download. After that, any new users wishing to grab Opera will have to pay a one-time fee.

Posted by GameMiestro

This looks more like Nintendo's attempt at price comparison... plus, "required to buy" doesn't mean anything.

Posted by Proto Man

Hmm... note that they don't try to say anything about Wii. Anyhow I probably won't buy the Opera Browser for Wii anyways. What's the point? I have IE7 on the PC.

Quoting Dave Karraker: Through our comparison chart we are not implying that you must purchase the myriad of peripherals and add-ons that Microsoft offers to play your Xbox 360. You don't. However, if you want to attempt to come close to the performance of the $499 PlayStation 3 by using your Xbox 360, Core or Premium, you could only do that through expensive add-ons -- that is what our chart is demonstrating. Once you add it all up, it would cost you more than our $499 unit, and you would still not come close to everything we offer, ie: free multiplayer gaming, 50GB storage capacity of Blu-ray disc, Blu-ray disc player for games AND movies, processing power of the Cell Broadband Engine

Blu-ray this Blu-ray that... that's all PS3 is about IMO. Either way, it looks like HD-DVD is leading just a tad anyways (for movies anyhow.)

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: It's like when people say "Oh well, if you buy three games eith the 360 it's the exact same price as the PS3... so really it's no different." **** always annoys me.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/TendoAddict/Sonylol.jpg[/IMG]
---

Well this is hardly surprising. One of these days Sonys lies are going to catch up to them and bite them on the butt.

Posted by Klarth

And that day is today.

Also yesterday and tomorrow.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: And that day is today.

Also yesterday and tomorrow.

Lol, I wish I could rep you... that statement is so true.

Posted by Zeta

Off-topic: What the hell? How did I rep Tendo twice in a row? O_o

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Zeta: Off-topic: What the hell? How did I rep Tendo twice in a row? O_o

Cuz I'm just that awesome.

No, Zeta would be just that awesome.

Posted by Speedfreak

Microsoft are preparing legal action against Sony for this crap.

[URL="http://forums.xbox.com/7498563/ShowPost.aspx"]http://forums.xbox.com/7498563/ShowPost.aspx[/URL]

Good luck battling the mot terrifying lawyers on the planet after losing twice to a small company that you robbed!

This is exactly why people hate Sony. You don't see Nintendo pulling this shit, nor Microsoft (at least in the gaming arena...). Why the fuck can't these guys play by the rules?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: You don't see Nintendo pulling this shit

Ninty has had their fair share of lawsuits, believe me. Although only a few of them were actually their fault.

Also, remember Microsoft AS WELL as Sony had to deal with that controller lawsuit. Except MS played smart and settled right away, while Sony fought it for a while.

Anyhow I think this time Sony has bit off more than they can chew... it's one thing to go against a small technology firm, it's another to go against a mega corp like Microsoft. Bill Gates has enough money to sink Sony 10,000 Leagues below sea level.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Proto Man]
Ninty has had their fair share of lawsuits, believe me. Although only a few of them were actually their fault.
Only one which comes to mind is the fiasco with ROM dumping utilities.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: Only one which comes to mind is the fiasco with ROM dumping utilities.

Nintendo has had about 15 lawsuits in the past 20 to 25 years.

Posted by Klarth

Such as?

And how many were won/lost?

Posted by Zeta

[quote]In November 2000, Uri Geller unsuccessfully sued Nintendo in U.S. federal court, claiming use of his likeness for a Pokémon character, "Yungerer" (also transliterated "Ungeller"), translated into English as "Kadabra".

lol, here's one.

I also think back in the day some mom sued Nintendo because her kid had a seizure while playing MegaMan X. I doubt it was successful.

Posted by higbvuyb

Didn't Sony say that the PS3 would last for 10 years? If we buy 4 controllers for it, and you have to buy a new set for $200 each every 1.5 years because the batteries, though they are rechargeable, degrade over time and are non-replacable, lets' just add $1300 to the cost of the PS3. HOLY **** NOW IT COSTS 2 TIMES MORE THAN THE XBOX 360

Posted by Klarth

The whole "ten year lifespan" thing is doubtful considering Sony's competitors are probably only going for half of that. They'll be left at the wayside.

Posted by Unite

Why would anyone buy the core pack over premium pack anyways?

Posted by Klarth

They wouldn't. And that's whatever the team of Sony PR people who threw this together are trying to ignore.

Posted by muffla

im against sony on this one but what is microsoft's ground for the lawsuit?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: The whole "ten year lifespan" thing is doubtful considering Sony's competitors are probably only going for half of that. They'll be left at the wayside.

Heh, my original SNES has lasted over 10 years, AND THAT'S WITH HARD PLAYING TOO! I doubt Sony could hope to beat that.

Quoting muffla: im against sony on this one but what is microsoft's ground for the lawsuit?

Misinformation, slander, and bad propaganda that would potentially deter customers from buying a 360 this christmas.

Oh and Klarth, I will have those lawsuits for you later after I get some shuteye.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Protoman]
Heh, my original SNES has lasted over 10 years, AND THAT'S WITH HARD PLAYING TOO! I doubt Sony could hope to beat that.
I don't think it's to do with the lifespan of a single physical console - It's to do with the length of time it'll continue to be supported. SNES was released in 1990, N64 in 1996, SNES had a lifespan of around half a decade - As seems the norm for consoles.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: I don't think it's to do with the lifespan of a single physical console - It's to do with the length of time it'll continue to be supported. SNES was released in 1990, N64 in 1996, SNES had a lifespan of around half a decade - As seems the norm for consoles.

Ok I misunderstood then... well in that case the Atari 2600 wasn't officially retired until 1992. Sony has a long way to go if they hope to beat that record.

Also, the NES lasted a decade itself.

Posted by Klarth

Then.

Now.

Quoted post: The whole "ten year lifespan" thing is doubtful considering Sony's competitors are probably only going for half of that. They'll be left at the wayside.

Much like the PS2. That was the plan, and now Sony seems to be backing out. Same will likely happen with the PS3.

Posted by Apathetic

Quoting Prince Shondronai: If you want your 360 decked out with all of that useless crap, then I suppose it does force you to buy it, whereas the ps3 is useless right out of the box. Good thinking, sony!

we have a winnar

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I think what they were trying to get at was that if you wanted your 360 to have similar functionality to the PS3, you'd buy all that crap on top of the base console.

What they aren't factoring in is the typical consumer doesn't want half of all the crap they're shoveling into the PS3.

Posted by Fate

Hmm, I don't know, the only thing I wouldn't use normally is the Blu-Ray on its own. I don't know what else they're really putting on it other than what a game system offers. So what is this shoveled stuff? :/

Posted by Klarth

Compulsory hard drive for one. If I were to ever buy a PS3, a simple 4GB memory card would leave me happy.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, hard drives are a big issue. Sony are going to learn like Microsoft did that Hard Drives don't scale down in price anything like silicon.

Posted by KoH

"My only question for this Christmas on Wii is the price point. Even though it's affordable, at $400 plus whatever you need to buy accessories-wise, I'm guessing you need to spend about $500 to take home a Wii and enjoy it. For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because $500 is a lot to fork out . . . I think the price for what it specifically does as a video games machine is a bit pricey, but I think that their strategy long term we have great respect for." - Sony Australian Executive

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/11/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-part-xv-sony-australia-exec-calls-the-wii/

I honestly can't wait until the PS3 launches and I hear some story about its power supply exploding some sort of molten acid on the spoiled rich kids who's parents bought it for them. That or it sends out some sort of EMP that breaks all the surrounding electronics. Either/or.

I've always wondered how a Sony rep can say that with a straight face, considering their system costs at least $500 without any software.

Oh, wait. Australian dollars. Um.

Posted by lameboyadvance

$829AUD for the 20GB and $999AUD for the 60GB.

Yay for us. :shake:

Holy jesus.

So a Sony rep said people wouldn't be comfortable spending half the amount that their high-end system costs? Nice move.

Quoted post: I honestly can't wait until the PS3 launches and I hear some story about its power supply exploding some sort of molten acid on the spoiled rich kids who's parents bought it for them. That or it sends out some sort of EMP that breaks all the surrounding electronics. Either/or.

Apparently it uses double the power of a 360 (about 80 dollars a year of energy.) SO EXPLODING COULD VERY WELL HAPPEN LOL

But yeah, that's ****ing ludicrous... 1,000 dollars just for a PS3? Something I could get for half the price in the States? Wow. Though, not even that, like Wings said, yeah the Wii might cost 500 bucks with everything included, but that's still cheaper than a PS3 without any games or extra controllers.

Posted by KoH

I remember when someone came on VGC and posted a thread based on how using the 360 would double your electric bill. (this was pre-360 release) Oh man, that got me laughing. Of course, based on that belief the PS3 could very well require the use of a nuclear power plant in order to even power on.

Could this be the end of humanity as we know it?

Actually, the 360 is an absolute power hog, and it does add a significant amount to your electric bill. We have a token meter to pay for ours instead of a monthly billing system, and it cost us roughly £20 per week when I had my 360 plugged in - even when it was turned off. When I unplugged it when I wasn't using it, the price dropped immensely. I have no idea why it uses power when it's off, but there you have it.

Also Vamp, it's not exactly twice the price - one AUD is about 77 US cents. It's still more expensive, but not as much as that.

whatevs, he said $1,000 I figured that was converted. It's closer to one half than I care to calculate.

Posted by Alan

Thing is, it is correct, if you get a premium PS3 you get built-in wi-fi, xbox360, an extra

Yes, the difference being is that it's built-in. Not everyone wants wifi, just like not everyone wants a Blu-ray drive or an HD-DVD drive.

Posted by KoH

Am I the only one that didn't understand Alan's post?

[quote=Arms]Actually, the 360 is an absolute power hog, and it does add a significant amount to your electric bill. We have a token meter to pay for ours instead of a monthly billing system, and it cost us roughly £20 per week when I had my 360 plugged in - even when it was turned off. When I unplugged it when I wasn't using it, the price dropped immensely. I have no idea why it uses power when it's off, but there you have it.

Oh I'm not debating whether or not the 360 is a power hog. My point though was that unless you live in some rat cage utilizing a single light bulb right light and kept all other electronical use to a minimum I would never understand how someone's electric bill would somehow double.

It wouldn't double. That's insane.

Posted by KoH

Your avatar's freaking me out Vamp. I just now bothered to look at it.

Last week our bill for the week was £20. I started unplugging my 360 whenever I wasn't using it, and the bill for this week was £12.

I'm jus' sayin'.

Posted by Unite

wow i guess for you wings , you need to save every little bit of money you get.

Posted by Klarth

People don't like shitting money down the drain when they don't have to do so, no matter how alien a concept that might seem to you.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: People don't like shitting money down the drain when they don't have to do so, no matter how alien a concept that might seem to you.

Just difference in income and situation for him ever little bit counts. I don't like to waste money also, it just needs to be a much bigger saving before i care.

He's saving 200 bucks a year. I make a decent amount and live at home and I still wouldn't want to waste 200 dollars a year on absolutely nothing.

Posted by Klarth

That's like using a £5 note to light a cigar, and saying it doesn't matter because you have hundreds of them.

:/

Don't worry. When I become a well-known philanthropist game designer and pimp, I'll make sure Unite is one of my better-treated whores.