OCD

Posted by WackoHater2

Anyone else here have OCD? I don't have it real bad. A lot of people think I am weird.. I can't help it though.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I have to do everything in multiples of three.

Posted by ed elric

I have it at a small level, bothers the crap out of me in long car rides.

Posted by billards

I don't think I have OCD but I have a wierd thing if I eat like chips or something I have to take two at time or if I take a lot out it has to be able to be divided into two's.

Posted by ed elric

that would be a low level of ocd

Posted by Brennivin

i dont believe in ocd

Posted by The Judge

I have it minorly in that I must complete sequences and raise things. Numbers such as 21, 23, 27, and 29 (or anything near an even number aside from 5) bug the hell out of me.

Posted by Omni

I'm OCD about making sure that I lock things, especially if they have things that don't belong to me in them. This one time, I locked a safe locker at work that had stuff belonging to this girl I work with in it, I share it with her, and then I was almost out of the place, and I was like, "****! Did I lock that?!" I went all the way back to check. It's usually not that bad where I do that, but I do like to always make sure with stuff like that a lot.

Posted by The Judge

The only other thing that bugs me is when I touch something with one part of my body and have another opposite part to touch. This can be as simple as I rub my finger on the doorknob on the right side, so I have to rub the left side. Other times, it can be embarassing, since one time I fell and hit the cold metal part of the table against my face and had to even it by touching the other part of my face to the table.

I would say that I constantly touch my face and pick and inconsistencies on my being, such as scabs and bumps, but that's from my ADHD.

Posted by Ant

Quoting The Judge: but that's from my AIDS.

fixed lol.

The only MINOR form of OCD I could think of is that anytime I get out of the shower, I flush the toilet. Although I don't have to, I just do it subconsciously.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Panic: Anyone else here have OCD? I don't have it real bad. A lot of people think I am weird.. I can't help it though.

Thanks for being specific.

Yeah. I have a few habits that may qualify as OCD-related:

-Periodically checking around my room to see if something is slightly out of place so I can adjust it.
-Getting up repeatedly to shift the TV slightly to the left or right so I feel I get just the perfect viewing angle.
-Ensuring that every last mp3 on my computer (16,000+) is perfectly tagged and organised.
-Always keeping all the doors locked while driving (I feel uncomfortable otherwise) and checking repeatedly to make sure they're still locked.
-Checking many times over (beyond reason) to ensure all chain link gates are locked and cells/compounds latched before leaving work.

Posted by Linkman

I don't really know of any OCD traits I have.

Quoting Raptor: -Periodically checking around my room to see if something is slightly out of place so I can adjust it.

That's not Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, that's Woman-Compulsive Disorder.

Posted by WackoHater2

Being more specific: I check to see if things are a little out of place, I know what I am wearing on every day of the week, etc.

Posted by Gollum

I'm reading the article about it on wikipedia, and it looks like I've got some of the symptoms.

-If I'm walking on a sidewalk, I can't step on the cracks. I change the size of my steps to make sure that I don't. The same goes with shadows. I avoid stepping on shadows.

Edit: God, look what I just read in the article:
"A need for both sides of the body to feel even. A person with OCD might walk down a sidewalk and step on a crack with the ball of their left foot, then feel the need to step on another crack with the ball of their right foot. Also, if one hand gets wet, the sufferer may feel very uncomfortable if the other is not."

That's exactly what I do. The different parts of my feet matter when walking and biking as well. That freaked me out.

-Blinking. If I blink more on one eye than the other, I have to blink hard on the other eye. But, if I blink too hard there, I have to even it out again. I've done this for very long periods of time.

- Touching my body. If I put my finger on the side of my lip, intentionally or not, I always have to touch the other 4 places on my lip, meaning both far edges, halfway towards the middle, and right in the middle. The same is true for touching anywhere else on my body, like having to scratch one hand if I've just scratched the other.

Edit: I just did the lip thing right now, unintentionally.

-Checking my answers when doing work 3 or 4 times, even when it's simple math or copying a word from a book. I always seem to think that I've done it wrong.

This is slightly frightening.

Posted by ed elric

you don't really notice it until you read up on it, after that it gets to be a real annoyance. while i hve ocd i feel that my body must NEVER be even. i must always have some imbalance on my person, if i don't i quickly think of something that could uneven my appearance. it really helped when i got one of my ears pierced about two years ago, now knowing that there is always an imbalance on my person i don't do it as much.

Posted by cool gamer dad

There's only one thing I can think of. I always have to have the doors closed when I'm in any room, even when I'm in a friend's room.

I'll close the door coming in, and they'll ask, "Why are you closing the door?".

Posted by Klarth

I have to have sex with exactly nine women every time I board a plane.

Posted by WackoHater2

I do the thing where I step on cracks with the balls of my feet, and the blinking thing. And sometimes I bite the joints of my fingers. Not hard, just playing with the skin on there when I get bored. Afterward, I gotta make sure the skin is perfectly back the way it was before.

Posted by The Judge

[quote=wikipedia]"A need for both sides of the body to feel even. A person with OCD might walk down a sidewalk and step on a crack with the ball of their left foot, then feel the need to step on another crack with the ball of their right foot. Also, if one hand gets wet, the sufferer may feel very uncomfortable if the other is not."
[quote=me]The only other thing that bugs me is when I touch something with one part of my body and have another opposite part to touch. This can be as simple as I rub my finger on the doorknob on the right side, so I have to rub the left side. Other times, it can be embarassing, since one time I fell and hit the cold metal part of the table against my face and had to even it by touching the other part of my face to the table.
zam

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Lord of Spam: I have to do everything in multiples of three.

Then why do you only rep me once? Jerk.

I have to close doors behind me impulsively, and I feel a need to wash my hands a lot.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting The Judge: The only other thing that bugs me is when I touch something with one part of my body and have another opposite part to touch. This can be as simple as I rub my finger on the doorknob on the right side, so I have to rub the left side. Other times, it can be embarassing, since one time I fell and hit the cold metal part of the table against my face and had to even it by touching the other part of my face to the table.

I do that too. But not as severly. Usually with my hands I do that.

Posted by mis0

I check that everything at work is locked or whatever it needs to be a thousand times before I decide that it's OK for me to go home. And I always double check the front door after I lock it. I don't really worry about any of those things at home though.

I also must have a nearly spotless car interior or I just feel wrong. I clean it daily, vacuum it as necessary, and Armour All it every weekend. I did the same thing with my old crappy car, too.

And I like to keep my DVDs in alphabetical order, while with books and CDs I couldn't care less.

Posted by Klarth

I keep all my music sorted by alphabetical order and date. Rush - A Farewell To Kings precedes Rush - Power Windows, then next in the rack is an artist beginning with S, etc.

Posted by Fate

Guys, OCD is serious. It's like an autistic kid hanging on to a single object and not getting rid of it. People with serious OCD should probably get on some medication. You could have OCD-like habits, but the real thing is a problem to have.

People are so quick to label themselves with disorders in order to appear more interesting. See: that chick who has a split personality/invisible friend named Fred.

Posted by mis0

You shouldn't generalize. I know I'm not OCD, I'm just weird. I sure most of the repsondants to this thread feel the same way.

besides, pix wh0ar threads, invalidate your opinion, etc

Posted by Speedfreak

Everyone has some amount of every mental illness, none of you are special. It's only a fully-fledged mental-illness when it's so severe that it begins to negatively impact your life.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Princess Fate:
People are so quick to label themselves with disorders in order to appear more interesting.

this is true. so i checked out wikipedia on OCD and found that i conform exactly to a couple of the symptoms, specifically this one, which scared me:

"A need for both sides of the body to feel even. A person with OCD might walk down a sidewalk and step on a crack with the ball of their left foot, then feel the need to step on another crack with the ball of their right foot. Also, if one hand gets wet, the sufferer may feel very uncomfortable if the other is not."

thanks, mel.

Posted by Fate

I do the same thing! I just feel uneven. But the rest of my actions are pretty haphazard, so all I can call it is "OCD-like".

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Princess Fate: People are so quick to label themselves with disorders in order to appear more interesting.

This is true. However, you dismiss things too quickly as well. When said actions aren't performed, I begin to breathe heavily and sweat a lot until I accomplish it. Imagine having a horrible horrible itch that just won't go away and keeps getting worse and worse. No matter how many times you tell yourself it's all in your head, it doesn't stop itching until you scratch it. While people often do exhibit OCD-like tendencies that are mostly out of habit or an odd quirk, genuine physical and mental discomfort resulting from not following these things is often a sign of it. But like all things, there are heavier doses than others. My twitches and quirks often go unnoticed by me but are almost always picked up by my friends, though it rarely truly impedes me in day-to-day life, unlike, for example, that woman who refuses to touch things with her hands. It's all in levels of severity.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Princess Fate: I do the same thing! I just feel uneven. But the rest of my actions are pretty haphazard, so all I can call it is "OCD-like".

do you do the same thing i do when i sleep? i always have to curl a blanket up against the ear that isn't on the pillow when i sleep on my side.

Posted by ed elric

i don't know about the rest of you but i have been labeled by many doctors as having a minor case of OCD, so i know for a fact i have it, it's just more of an irritant and not a serious problem as with most people that have it. although judge to me seems to do the same things i do, so he probably does have some minor level of it.

if you get down to the technicalities, pretty much everyone has a small form of every mental disorder just in some it is amplified more. like an average person and a person with down syndrome. the average one would seem "normal" and the one with the ailment would seem pretty messed up, when really it is just that the down syndrome in the average one is dormant and the one that would be labeled "retarted" simply has an amplified version of it.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting ed elric: i have been labeled by many doctors as having a minor case of OCD, so i know for a fact i have it

Don't use this as a personal indicator or reason to label yourself with it. Because OCD has a medication that can cancel it out, doctors can easiliy disagnose you with OCD-like qualities and then prescribe you with a pill to counteract it, and thus make money. The thing to concentrate on is the actual affect it has on you.

Posted by ed elric

I have many OCD like qualities that I even would diagnose as OCD.

RUNNING SELF DIAGNOSTIC CHECK...

OCD DETECTED IN HARD DRIVE

that enough for ya, and yes that was very retarted

Posted by KoH

You're an idiot.

OCD can be serious. However it seems more a trend for younger kids (up to the age of 16 or so) rather than a serious illness.

Personally I have a few ticks but nothing that I'd ***** about to people.

However, considering the topic of the thread it'd be very rude of me to simply call ed elric an idiot an idiot and then leave so I might as well state my mild quirks.

- If I change the volume on anything and it shows a number, that number has to be a prime number.
- I have eye ticks. Basically the muscles around my eyes tick when something bothers me. It's getting better and I rarely do it now.
- If I clean something it has to be completely clean. Of course this is just natural for a lot of people after a certain age and laziness leaves the younger mentality you once may have had.
- I require a constant state of balance and being centered. If something, like my arm is raised on the right hand side of my vision I have to lift up my left hand to the same amount that the right hand is revealed. I sometimes do this a few times trying to completely balance how much of the two hands are revealed.

Same goes for feeling. If I'm typing and I hit the shift key, I often have to hit the opposite side's shift key but eventually end up slamming the keys down.

- And of course, how could I possibly consider myself a little bit of an OCD freak if I didn't state my obsession with redoing something over and over? Buttons, alarm clocks, keyboard buttons, all that ****. I generally hit it 3 times because 3 is a prime number, duh!

And an old one I had which I'm getting better about: If I mispelled something or made a typo I had to correct it to some method or just completely erase it. I'm getting better!

Btw: lol I remember Judge's old name because I remember thinking to myself, "Who the **** would put underscores in their name instead of ****ing spaces?"

Posted by The Judge

Ironically, it was because I wanted my name to be on one line instead of broken and uneven on two lines if I'd put spaces on it.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Princess Fate: Guys, OCD is serious. It's like an autistic kid hanging on to a single object and not getting rid of it. People with serious OCD should probably get on some medication. You could have OCD-like habits, but the real thing is a problem to have.

Probably because most people don't know the difference between having Obsessive Compulsive Personality Traits and an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. OC Personality Traits are what most people have been describing, and they're perfectly normal. OC Disorder is when it's so outstanding that it actually gets in the way of your everday life.

Posted by KoH

[quote=The Judge]Ironically, it was because I wanted my name to be on one line instead of broken and uneven on two lines if I'd put spaces on it.

Oh, in that case I have to thank you. Because had it been broken into two parts I would've been annoyed.

Posted by Hyper

I have a severe case of having to highlight random bits of text when I'm reading. I usually try to make it even, such as leaving the same amount of words or characters on one end of the line/paragraph as on the other untouched. I go crazy highlighting, clicking out, highlighting again, clicking out again, etc. until I'm done reading whatever I am.

Also, I get the uneven feeling a lot. I think that's something almost all people get though.

Posted by Apathetic

I used to spin on every corner but I got over it. Now I just put my mouse on the right of the screen, I got it from wow >.<