Tag, you're out!

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting The Edmonton Sun: Some local elementary schools have banned the game of tag on their playgrounds - and that has one public school trustee saying those schools aren't playing fair.

As officials at a Massachusetts elementary school recently banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase-game during recess in case they get hurt, Edmonton public school officials say some principals here are doing the same.

Spokesman Jane Farrell said some public elementary schools in the city have seen games like tag getting out of hand and have outlawed the game. She couldn't say how many schools have imposed a ban.

"We do have some schools where there's no tag and that's a result of what had happened on that playground," she said.

"Some schools have had problems in the past with tag getting too rough. It ceases to be tag and becomes something else. Then, the school will step forward and discourage the playing of that game."

In those cases, Farrell said students are given alternate games to play such as soccer or flag football.

"When tag escalates to a punch or a karate chop, it's not fun anymore," she said.

But Ward H Trustee George Nicholson says games like tag are all a part of being a kid and that scrapping the game isn't the answer.

"I don't believe that painting everything with the broad stroke of a brush ever solves anything," he said. "Deal with the troublemakers individually. Most kids have a lot of fun playing those games."

But Nicholson said he has heard some concerns about children growing out of touch with traditional playground games such as tag and hide-and-seek because they'd never been taught the rules at home.

"A few years ago, one of the schools indicated to me that they had to teach kids to play games during recess because (outdoor) games were unfamiliar to them," he said.

Meanwhile, The Academy of King Edward school vice principal Sharon Clark said rather than discouraging kids from playing tag, they are encouraging them to play other games to round out the playground experience.

"I wouldn't say we don't allow them to play tag, but we do encourage them to be creative and come up with other games to play," she said.

Meanwhile, Catholic school board spokesman Lori Nagy said the game of tag is not an issue within that system. "None of our schools have cancelled tag," said Nagy. "Tag is a very popular child's game and it's often played at recess."

Ug, I can't believe it. Bought a paper this morning when I was waiting for the bus(cover story on Paul McCartney's divorce) and I saw this. Just ug. A child hoos game being taken away. Pain was part of the play-ground. Y got hurt, you got up and kept on playing. It was funny, laughed even, then you went back on with the game. Not even TOUCH football. Sickening. I'm happy I have only 4 years left. And that I'm out of the Elemantary stage.
By the by, I realize I have lot's of spelling mistakes. But my hands were cold when I was typing and my keyboard batteries tend to click out then in. Bare with me until I get a new one.

Posted by The Judge

Hm. Perhaps we should have people wear padding to school as well as cooking mits just in case someone gets rowdy.

Posted by nich

What if some unsuspecting child tripped over their shoe-lace while walking home and scraped their knee on the side walk? This could lead to serious diseases such as AIDS and "the clap", this is why I propose a ban on concrete within 50 miles of children. And shoe-laces.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting The Judge: Hm. Perhaps we should have people wear padding to school as well as cooking mits just in case someone gets rowdy.

In the next 20 years, kids will probably be wearing padded suits to school. I can see it.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Oh no, what will this lead to? Having to wear five inches of Kevlar padding around our bodies at all times while playing the national sport?!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I remember playing tackle football during recess when I was in seventh grade =/

HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED

Posted by Lord of Spam

this entire trend is stupid. If kids dont learn their limits and tolerances when their young, then the risk of real injury gets a lot higher later. I say let the little bastards run rampant.

Posted by ed elric

[quote=Vampiro]I remember playing tackle football during recess when I was in seventh grade
you had recess in the seventh grade? it stopped at fifth grade for me.

[quote=Vampiro]HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Vampiro: I remember playing tackle football during recess when I was in seventh grade =/

HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED

All we have now is pussy tag football. =(

Quoted post: you had recess in the seventh grade? it stopped at fifth grade for me.

Had it until high school. Mind, you I never had "middle school" so it made sense that it carried over.

Posted by ed elric

for me i had school in this order:

primary-kindergarden, 1st, and 2nd
elemenatry-3rd, 4th, 5th (this is the last year we got to have recess)
middle- 6th
jr high- 7th, 8th
high-9th (now),10th, 11th, 12th

strange, i really never gave thought that other schools could be different.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I hope to *** that the next generation of kids never have to go into a war...or outside for that matter.

I mean, it's honestly getting ridiculous. You can't play simple children's games (started with dodgeball and worked its way up), can't watch movies or play video games (too much violent and sexual imagery!), and if everyone hasn't heard, if people come in to shoot up the school or what-not you're supposed to cower in a corner (at least that's what I've heard from the high school I went to, they actually call it Code C or something).

Anyway, I can understand the discouraging of games getting too rough and kids getting hurt, but what the hell are kids going to do now? Sit and stare at the wall? /blatent stealing of flash videos/ watch paint dry? watch the grass grow?

*shakes head*

Posted by ed elric

i prefer to stare into space for hours on end. it's safe, not illegal, more fun than watching paint dry, and boring as hell!!

lol

although it is a good way to think about all the aspects of your life, and organize them.

Posted by Slade

I'd like to see a group of kids at one of the schools where tag is banned organize a schoolwide game of tag during one recess. That'd make my day.

It saddened me the other day when I was planning on playing football with some friends and everyone wanted to play "two hand touch" because that's about the pussiest thing you can do. Imposing a ban on that means that someday maybe playgrounds will just be large round inflatable stuctures. Oh, but nothing over two feet in height. The poor kids might fall down.

tl;dr version: KIDS FALL DOWN

Posted by Raptor

I like how at least two of you have failed to spell "elementary" correctly. Perhaps children these days could use a little less fun and games.

Posted by Klarth

Boo ****ing hoo. Next thing you know these parents aren't even beating their children.

Posted by Killer Jordo

K so today something sucky happened. At lunch, most of the grade 9 boys(myself included) play football. Real football, not crappy touch, or flag football. But now the teachers are pretty much stalking us so we don't play. My friend Tyler brought out a football and had it taken away. We were just throwing it around at the time. But no, what if we don't catch the ball, it hit's us in the face, we stumble back, hit some kid that kid falls down, and has a button in his pocket for a bomb in the school. O NOES EVERYONE IS DEAD BECASUE OF THAT DARN FOOTBALL!

Yeah, our schools these days are more retarded every day.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Killer Jordo: But no, what if we don't catch the ball, it hit's us in the face, we stumble back, hit some kid that kid falls down, and has a button in his pocket for a bomb in the school. O NOES EVERYONE IS DEAD BECASUE OF THAT DARN FOOTBALL!

Yeah, our schools these days are more retarded every day.

No offense, but that is among the most random and nonsensical statements I've heard recently on the internet, and that's saying something. It wasn't even funny, either...

Quoted post: I hope to *** that the next generation of kids never have to go into a war...or outside for that matter.

They'll probably be far better protected, with better guns, ammunition, stronger materials, more high-tech equipment, etc. So it all plays into what's currently happening in school.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting Stone Cold Crazy: No offense, but that is among the most random and nonsensical statements I've heard recently on the internet, and that's saying something. It wasn't even funny, either...

It was supposed to be a sarcastic comment on the 'taking away of football' at my school. No offence

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Killer Jordo]It was supposed to be a sarcastic comment on the 'taking away of football' at my school. No offence
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/offense

Posted by Killer Jordo

I learned it as offence. Sorry.

Quoted post: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/offense

Americans are stupid and tend to spell it with a "c."

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting Vampiro: Americans are stupid and tend to spell it with a "c."

Win for living in USA for 3 years.

Before Bush came on. Go me!

Quoted post: Win for living in USA for 3 years.

Before Bush came on. Go me!

Canadian's are even worse and some feel the need to teach the American spelling because they don't know they difference. Thus, Americans are stupid.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting Vampiro: Canadian's are even worse and some feel the need to teach the American spelling because they don't know they difference. Thus, Americans are stupid.

I just got owned didn't I?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lord of Spam: this entire trend is stupid. If kids dont learn their limits and tolerances when their young, then the risk of real injury gets a lot higher later. I say let the little bastards run rampant.

I agree. I remember ages ago a Brit wanted to create a park where kicks would have to consider risks. Such as poles being further away so they would have to judge their own ability. It was turned down on the grounds of being too dangerous but even as a youngster when I heard about it I was eager.

Quoting Vampiro: Canadian's

[spoiler].[/spoiler]

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Vampiro: they difference. Thus, Americans are stupid.

[spoiler]spoiler alert[/spoiler]

Yeah, I'm too awesome to read my posts.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Quoting Vampiro: They'll probably be far better protected, with better guns, ammunition, stronger materials, more high-tech equipment, etc. So it all plays into what's currently happening in school.

Even with better protection and equipment, that would never make up for their crying because the gun hurts their ears.

Then get them right first time when you're typing them.

Quoted post: Then get them right first time when you're typing them.

Nah, that would require me to pay attention. Not a fan.