Optical camouflage

Posted by Xero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU5Joe_V5Xs

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]This is one of the many movies posted on Youtube about this new technology. I think it's cool, but I also know that I'll never have access to a peice of clothing like that. If everyone had that, the amount of crimes would go straight up.Although I believe that this will serve for the army when they attack.

I hope that no terrorists will manage to get one of those though. Just imagine...
[/COLOR]

Posted by junior senior

it looks as if they're walking in front of an overhead projector.

Posted by Ch

I say it's bullshat.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]It does look like it's a projector, but it's not.

2 guys in my group made a project about this. I don't remember how they explained it, but it has something to do with the light slipping around the clothes. Dah can't remember :(

Anyways, I don't think it's bullshat. I read something like this in the newspaper a while ago, but so far, it still needs work.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Ch

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: n 2003, three professors at University of Tokyo — Susumu Tachi, Masahiko Inami and Naoki Kawakami — created a prototypical camouflage system in which a video camera takes a shot of the background and displays it on the cloth using an external projector. The same year Time magazine named it the coolest invention of 2003. [1] With flexible electronics such as a flexible liquid crystal display that would permit display of the background image by the material itself, this form of optical camouflage may closely resemble its fictional counterparts.

How very impractical. BETTER NOT LET ANYONE GET THEIR HANDS ON IT!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Bullshat.

Posted by Klarth

Check his tie.

Posted by NeXidala

I CAN STILL SEE HIM!
Plus, his big *** shadow kinda gives him away....AND SO DOES THAT DAM TIE!

Posted by cool gamer dad

"light slipping around the clothes"

rofl

Posted by mis0

Otacon? OTACON?!

Posted by Killer Jordo

How in the hell does that work?

Quoted post: How in the hell does that work?

Quoted post: 2003, three professors at University of Tokyo — Susumu Tachi, Masahiko Inami and Naoki Kawakami — created a prototypical camouflage system in which a video camera takes a shot of the background and displays it on the cloth using an external projector.

How about you read the thread?

Posted by Ch

Then it really serves no purpose if you need a projector...

Posted by Fate

I think it's pretty cool.

Posted by Lord of Spam

idk, the thought of snake carrying around a projector with him through an enemy base is pretty funny

Quoted post: I think it's pretty cool.

It's not so cool when you can do the same at school with an overhead projector and a little imagination. There's a huge gap between this and "bending" light.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Lord of Spam: idk, the thought of snake carrying around a projector with him through an enemy base is pretty funny

More like the idea of Snake jumping off a bridge onto a boat and dropping his projector on the way is pretty funny.

I wasn't too impressed because all the shadows are so obvious. If this is leading to the real thing, though, then it's super neato.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting Vampiro: How about you read the thread?

Well I could, but then I'd take away the fun of you informing me.

Posted by ExoXile

I saw this on the kids channel, for like 5 years ago.
It's neither new technology nor new.

Posted by G-Sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuhzurPUx-g&mode=related&search=
that's a much better example of what we're talking about.

Posted by GameMiestro

It's called metametals. It does work. It doesn't exist yet. It probably won't for the next 20 years, and when it does, it will be put on things like armored tanks, not people.

What you need to know.

Quoted post: It's called metametals. It does work. It doesn't exist yet. It probably won't for the next 20 years, and when it does, it will be put on things like armored tanks, not people.

And robots.

Hm

Metametals... robots

meta... robots

meta... bots

METABOTS NO WAI!

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting GameMiestro: It's called metametals. It does work. It doesn't exist yet. It probably won't for the next 20 years, and when it does, it will be put on things like armored tanks, not people.

What you need to know.

You mean metamaterials? Not really, because you'd need a giant piece of stuff completely surrounding something for it to work.

Posted by ExoXile

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/projects/MEDIA/xv/oc.html

An thar, the secret is revieled!

PROJECTOR! >=0