PS3 ad

Posted by Bebop

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/first-north-american-playstation-3-commercial-the-wait-207717.php

Ha ha I thought it was something to do with child abuse at first.

Posted by Speedfreak

"The Wait"

Yes, that probably best describes what most PS3 fans are going to be doing for the next year for one reason or another.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

*** I hate you guys.

Posted by Axis

X2

Posted by TendoAddict

Its a bit creepy in my opinion.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

WHAT DID THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: WHAT DID THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

The PS3.

And being children being molested I think.

Apparently the PS3 is a huge 3 that will float around in the skies come November 17th then.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Apparently the PS3 is a huge 3 that will float around in the skies come November 17th then.

And touch boys, yes.

Ah ****, I can't wait!

Posted by Klarth

That was a great demonstration of the nano-ultracell processor interfacing with the gigalayer on a blu-ray superdisc with uberram and a 89320984-bit graphics chipset!! Wait, it's a game console? Oh. I thought it was a plumbing ad.

Posted by ExoXile

Gawd, and I thought Sony was better than Microsoft before. :(

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

You're all ridiculous. You realise that this ad has got you all talking about the PS3?

I'm leaving this thread.

Posted by ExoXile

Wings, ever since "Giant crab, and "All new motion crap" I've pretty much hated Sony.
And they showed that at E3, ever since than It's just been building.

Posted by Colonel

Quoting Bebop:
Ha ha I thought it was something to do with child abuse at first.

Yeah Sony's sneeky that way.

EDIT: If those people are looking for a PS3 they're looking in the wronge place, and they brought their backpacks because PS3 IS SO DANG HUG AND CAN'T BE CARRIED IN HAND.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Yeah it's playing as an ad for most major movies. I've seen it twice. The first time I saw it, I thought it was about cancer or something.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: You're all ridiculous. You realise that this ad has got you all talking about the PS3?

I'm leaving this thread.

We were all previously informed of the PS3, its release date, its specs, its price and its massive damage. Isn't advertising supposed to reach out to potentially unaware consumers, rather than reinforcing the negative perception of a product?

Quoted post: You're all ridiculous. You realise that this ad has got you all talking about the PS3?

You realise we bash and talk about Sony no matter what they do, right? This video has us talking, but we were going to talk whether it was good or bad. We don't matter, those that know next to nothing about it do. They're the ones that need to be talking about it.

At least with that ****ty Wii Japanese commercial it at least shows you the Wiimote and gives you some general idea what the console is about. It acually makes you want to go out and look it up, not sit back and say "what the f[COLOR="White"]uc[/COLOR]k was that?"

Posted by GameMiestro

If the PS3 is as dramatic and life changing to me as the kid in this ad, sure, I'll buy it.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: At least with that ****ty Wii Japanese commercial it at least shows you the Wiimote and gives you some general idea what the console is about. It acually makes you want to go out and look it up, not sit back and say "what the f[COLOR="White"]uc[/COLOR]k was that?"

WHAT IS THIS?
OH IT'S A REMOTE
IT'S A WII-REMOTE! HI MISTER WII REMOTE SEE YOU IN DECEMBERU

Yeah, exactly, still ****ty as hell, but my point stands.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Wings]You realise that this ad has got you all talking about the PS3?

Yes, just like all of their other cockups.

...IT WAS THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG.

... HOW UTTERLY BRILLIANT.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Wings: You're all ridiculous. You realise that this ad has got you all talking about the PS3?

Ah yes, Sony got us talking about...how much sony sucks even more .

Good job Sony, good job.
----

I know you are going down the "Theirs no such thing as Bad Publicity" route. But there is bad publicity and this commercial is cr[COLOR="SandyBrown"]a[/COLOR]p.

If we saw this commercial and no one told us it was a ps3 commercial I garentee you at least 85% of the population would be saying " WTF?!? Was the a PS3 commercial? '

At least the other Sony commercial said what the ps3 could do (though it lied). Hell at least the other one said the word PlayStation.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Klarth: We were all previously informed of the PS3, its release date, its specs, its price and its massive damage. Isn't advertising supposed to reach out to potentially unaware consumers, rather than reinforcing the negative perception of a product?
Who's "we"? All the internet nerds in video game forums? The majority of people don't know the PS3's release date, and the sole purpose is to inform them of that. It's a good idea to show it in movie theatres.

[quote]If we saw this commercial and no one told us it was a ps3 commercial I garentee you at least 85% of the population would be saying " WTF?!? Was the a PS3 commercial?Maybe if you have either no attention span, can't read, or you're just ****ing retared. Cause it clearly says at the end, PS3, Nov 17.

Its a decent ad in that respect as it builds interest and suspense the whole time. Then you find out at the end what its all about, after it has your full attention. And you all know how you'd praise it as genius if it was a Wii ad. But of course you know that and I know that, so whatever.

Quoted post: Who's "we"? All the internet nerds in video game forums? The majority of people don't know the PS3's release date, and the sole purpose is to inform them of that.

Yes, exactly. Since, you know, Wings was talking about those very nerds. Hence "You're all" and "you all."

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro: Yes, exactly. Since, you know, Wings was talking about those very nerds. Hence "You're all" and "you all."
Thats not my point.

Oh and [quote]Hell at least the other one said the word PlayStation." Are you ****ing stupid? Did you even watch the whole thing? And it doesn't need to spell out Playstation. If you dont know what PS3 means you're living under a rock and dont know jack **** about video games anyhow.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Last Fog]Who's "we"? All the internet nerds in video game forums? The majority of people don't know the PS3's release date, and the sole purpose is to inform them of that. It's a good idea to show it in movie theatres.
The people who know what it's about are more likely to talk about the product than the people who have absolutely no clue, what with the product not being mentioned at all or even shown.

Posted by Fate

Guys, it's an anticipation commercial, not a product showoff. All Sony needs to say to the mass market is "hey we got a new system" and people already know. Anticipation commercials tend to build interest without actually showing the product because it is usually known of beforehand. It's not really common, but it's not exactly rare.

Yeah, and it's a bad one. That's all.

Posted by Fate

It makes little to no sense, but that's the type of cryptic commercial it is. Notice how the clock and time is one focus of the commercial.

... it has a gigantic three floating over what we thought was an abused child. That's not cryptic, that's just lame.

Posted by Ant

Still not a big fan of the Spiderman Font.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It's still kind of sad that Nintendo hasn't started any ads for the Wii, though. Even vague ones that wouldn't tell someone who isn't paying the strictest attention to the commercial (99.999999999% of television viewers) what the ad is about.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: Maybe if you have either no attention span, can't read, or you're just ****ing retared. Cause it clearly says at the end, PS3, Nov 17.

I'm not talking about watching the commercial in a setting where that is the man focus Dumb ***. I'm talking about every day people Sitting at home and waiting for their show to come on and this piece of cr[COLOR="DarkRed"]a[/COLOR]p comes on.

Oh wait, I forgot that each and every TV view watches each and every second of each commercial. There is no way that an average TV goer could miss a two second flash of the name Play Station.

Most of the time people dont pay much attention to commercaisl anyways. It doesnt help that the commercial itself was bad.

Even if the average viewer saw the whole thing the commercial is so bad that it would probably take the viewer an extra ten seconds to piece the sh!t fest together to realize just how bad it was.

Quoted post: Are you ****ing stupid? Did you even watch the whole thing? And it doesn't need to spell out Playstation. If you dont know what PS3 means you're living under a rock and dont know jack **** about video games anyhow.

I'm going to guess you just didn't realize I was talking about its viability as a commercial to the masses and think you meant to gamers or myself.

Posted by GameMiestro

It's a very good ad. You're just old. :)

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting TendoAddict: I'm not talking about watching the commercial in a setting where that is the man focus Dumb ***. I'm talking about every day people Sitting at home and waiting for their show to come on and this piece of cr[COLOR="DarkRed"]a[/COLOR]p comes on.

Oh wait, I forgot that each and every TV view watches each and every second of each commercial. There is no way that an average TV goer could miss a two second flash of the name Play Station.it's going to be shown in movie theatres during the previews where it IS the main focus. For that setting its a good ad.

[quote]Even if the average viewer saw the whole thing the commercial its so bad that it would probably need an extra ten seconds to piece that sh!t feast together to realize just how bad it was. I have no clue what the hell you're trying to say here. Do you?

[quote]I'm going to guess you just didn't realize I was talking about its viability as a commercial to the masses and think you meant to gamers or myself.
Whats your point? You said "at least other ads said playstation" and therefore you're stupid because this one says just that. Which is why I accuse you of not even watching the whole thing.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I thought it was cool. Very cinematic.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: It's still kind of sad that Nintendo hasn't started any ads for the Wii, though. Even vague ones that wouldn't tell someone who isn't paying the strictest attention to the commercial (99.999999999% of television viewers) what the ad is about.

They have in Japan. It's just a Wiimote with a guy saying "what's this?" basically.

Posted by Fate

And if it's being shown in movie theaters, it's much better since there is nothing to do other than watch whatever's on screen.

Posted by Random

Was this commercial supposed to persuade anyone? Those kids were on roof tops huh?? I bet they wanted to commit suicide after hearing about the PS3.. Thats the commercial huh?? coz it made a lot of sense huh?? lots and lots of sense and now I either want to jump off a building or buy a $600 pile of **** huh huh?? is that it huh?? IS THAT IT SONY? UR PRODUCTS SUCK..

Posted by Aioros

[URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaRYMLr2YK4"]At least this ad doesn't tell people that video games are for nerds/kids.[/URL]

[COLOR="Yellow"]The nerd is the one who owns the game, and what was that you said announcer? Your parents'll help you hook it up?!?!? Well f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck you very much.[/COLOR]

Posted by Random

Quoting Aioros: [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaRYMLr2YK4"]At least this ad doesn't tell people that video games are for nerds/kids.[/URL]

[COLOR="Yellow"]The nerd is the one who owns the game, and what was that you said announcer? Your parents'll help you hook it up?!?!? Well f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck you very much.[/COLOR]

rofl well I got a laugh out of that and you made somewhat of a point but the Nintendo commercial still speaks more to me than the Playstation 3 commercial does..

Quoted post: And if it's being shown in movie theaters, it's much better since there is nothing to do other than watch whatever's on screen.

BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY PEOPLE WILL WATCH IT LOLOLOL

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Last Fog: it's going to be shown in movie theatres during the previews where it IS the main focus. For that setting its a good ad.

Where did you hear it was being shown in theaters?
Ive seen a ton of movies and never once have I even saw a video game system ad.

But if it IS I guess its medicore, Though I think it could of done better.

Quoted post: I have no clue what the hell you're trying to say here. Do you?

Actually no. You win this round.

[quote]Whats your point? You said "at least other ads said playstation" and therefore you're stupid because this one says just that. Which is why I accuse you of not even watching the whole thing.

This ad did not vocalize the name play station in any way.Heck the only thing that tied the ad to Sony was two short seconds at the end.

Posted by Fate

I've seen game ads at the theaters more than once, so yeah. :cookie:

It doesn't have to say the product's name to advertise. Do you know how advertising works? I'm not saying it's the best commercial ever, but "the wait is over" works, no matter how it's displayed. I don't understand the ****ing commercial, but it works.

Quoted post: Ive seen a ton of movies and never once have I even saw a video game system ad.

Then you haven't seen tons. Because I've seen more than a couple.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting TendoAddict: Where did you hear it was being shown in theaters?
Ive seen a ton of movies and never once have I even saw a video game system ad.

But if it IS I guess its medicore, Though I think it could of done better.I'll admit, it could do much better. But it gets the job done as long as it grabs attention until the last few seconds, which I think it should. The purpose of the whole thing is just to announce the release date to those who arent aware. Not to sell it to poeple who have never heard of the product.

[quote]This ad did not vocalize the name play station in any way.Heck the only thing that tied the ad to Sony was two short seconds at the end.
Ah, so by "saying" it you literally mean an announcer saying playstation. Well, thats not necessary, assuming the target audiance can read.

As for video game previews in theatres, I remember way back when a compliation preview of several gamecube games, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, etc. And not too long ago a preview for Gears of War, I think before Miami Vice. Terrible movie. But I digress.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Last Fog: I'll admit, it could do much better. But it gets the job done as long as it grabs attention until the last few seconds, which I think it should. The purpose of the whole thing is just to announce the release date to those who arent aware. Not to sell it to poeple who have never heard of the product.

Well I thought it was in the context of a at home TV ad. The original article never said anything about theaters. In the context of a theater it does work, but could be better.

Quoted post: Ah, so by "saying" it you literally mean an announcer saying playstation. Well, thats not necessary, assuming the target audiance can read.

Yeah now that I get the whole theater thing. You don't need to say it when its the only thing you can watch. Still they could of had a kid whispering the name Play Station, I think it could of added more ambiance.

[quote]As for video game previews in theatres, I remember way back when a compliation preview of several gamecube games, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, etc. And not too long ago a preview for Gears of War, I think before Miami Vice. Terrible movie. But I digress.

Well I have never seen a video game ad during previews. But g0d knows Id rather see metriod and Gears of War rather then another preview of a sh[COLOR="Sienna"]i[/COLOR]tty action movie or a Brain dead chick flick.

But the way, according to the article its just showing in Canada. Which means Vamp can tell us all about it. I think the Americans should still hold out for the gun fight and Explosions commercial.

Posted by s0ul

I never thought I'd see the day a fanboy is criticising Sony for a lack of ambience.

Looks pretty anti-drug at the beginning. Catering to the straight edge kids is actually not a bad idea...

Quoted post: Still they could of had a kid whispering the name Play Station, I think it could of added more ambiance.

You lost all credibility right there because that's the stupidest **** I've ever heard.

Quoted post: Which means Vamp can tell us all about it

Or... you could just watch it yourself by clicking the provided link. You could even toss your little brother infront of the screen and call your cell phone while imaging you're watching a ****ty commercial on a 50' screen to give you that certain theater ambiance.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: You lost all credibility right there because that's the stupidest **** I've ever heard.

Or... you could just watch it yourself by clicking the provided link. You could even toss your little brother infront of the screen and call your cell phone while imaging you're watching a ****ty commercial on a 50' screen to give you that certain theater ambiance.

Im sorry that my little idea to improve a bad ad didnt tickle your fancy and Im sorry that you can't take a joke.

Clearly I am a fool.

Posted by Fate

That clearly wasn't a joke! *oscar*

Posted by ExoXile

See? :cookie:

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: I never thought I'd see the day a fanboy is criticising Sony for a lack of ambience.

Well theres a first time for everything.

I just don't like ad's that don't say the name of the product, to me its its just like a medicine ad that doesn't tell you what the pill does.

Doesn't really matter, the ad's done. I just hope it kills two birds with one stone. One being a ad for the PS3 and one being a anti Child molesting ad.

Quoted post: to me its its just like a medicine ad that doesn't tell you what the pill does.

Except there's generally a reason for that.

What reason could there possibly be for making hypochondriacs ask their doctors about hundreds of medical products when there are commercials that go into varying degrees of detail about just about every disgusting disease known to man?

I was thinking more about "the pill" but all right.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: I was thinking more about "the pill" but all right.

Well yeah those of self explanatory.

Their's even more commercials that are brand new and don't say what they hell they do. They take the cake.

You know there's a couple smiling, a ButterFly flies by, and they tell you to buy some generic sounding pill. When you find out what it does (probably some thing horrible like anal warts) you wonder how it had any relation to the commercial other then the name.

*** I hate those.

What does this have to do with a ps3 ad with kids and a Gaint 3? Nothing. But still.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Aioros: [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaRYMLr2YK4"]At least this ad doesn't tell people that video games are for nerds/kids.[/URL]

Yes because comparing an ad from an era in which the culture openly embraced crappy rap jingles, oversized glasses and denim everything to something that's been in circulation for less than a week and is twenty years the former's senior is a perfectly apt way to draw parallels.

waht

Quoted post: Well yeah those of self explanatory.

Which was my point

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Klarth: Yes because comparing an ad from an era in which the culture openly embraced crappy rap jingles, oversized glasses and denim everything to something that's been in circulation for less than a week and is twenty years the former's senior is a perfectly apt way to draw parallels.

waht

[COLOR="Yellow"]LOL, crappy rap jingles and oversized glasses were never openly embraced and never will be. LOL who you trying to fool OLOLOL.[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

twenty years ago versus now

my point stands

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Which was my point

And my point was that theirs even more that cant get away with that and do it anyways.

Infact now that I think of it The Pill is the only one you can not tell the effects of and get away with it. Even other pills like Apsrin cannot get away with that.

(I think the threads dead when we go from a ps3 add to a pill talk)

Posted by KoH

Well that's got to be one of the lamest commercials I've seen.

Posted by Zeta

I don't even understand what the **** was going on in that commercial. =/ Did the PS3 steal the baby's soul or something?

Posted by Fate

It's supposed to not make sense. It plays on supernatural things, i.e., "the beyond".

GIANT FLOATING THREES

MASSIVE DAMAGE

Posted by Klarth

PS3 ADS ARE SOOOOO DEEP

LIKE LINKIN BIZKIT LYRICS. THEY TALK TO ME, MAN, DON'T MISUSE WORDS

YOU'RE KILLING THE WORDS

DON'T KILL THE WORDS.

Posted by Fate

It's the **** truth, considering the line of the PS3 is "Play Beyond". You retard.

Posted by Klarth

Me retard?

Just because a product's pretentious marketing slogan makes no sense doesn't mean the marketing itself has to be equally snobby and bizarre. This is NOT good advertising, no matter what your opinion is :/

Quoted post: It's the **** truth, considering the line of the PS3 is "Play Beyond". You retard.

Yes, and? It's still, as Klarth said, a bad advert. The reasoning is moot when the slogan itself is lame.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: It's supposed to not make sense. It plays on supernatural things, i.e., "the beyond".

Your basically saying if you understand the advert its a good one. This logic fails. Just because a message is or isnt clear doesnt mean its a good marketting campaign.

All right, **** the giant floating three:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJaGScKpZuU&mode=related&search=

Someone ****ing explain this commercial to me? If it's trying to generate interest or get people talking, it's failing horribly. If anything it makes me not want to buy it.

Posted by Last Fog

I don't know but that was the creepiest commercial I ever saw.

Posted by Ant

GENIUS!

Posted by Klarth

I'm actually outraged and offended by the stupidity.

Also check [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgU3S9XrmMk&NR]this[/url] out. A cluster of sunflowers being doubled in size DOES NOT AN INFINITE ****ING FIELD MAKE.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Klarth:
Also check [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgU3S9XrmMk&NR]this[/url] out. A cluster of sunflowers being doubled in size DOES NOT AN INFINITE ****ING FIELD MAKE.

I also liked how the BS with the "more time".

More time indeed, I can hardly find developers that push the maximum limit on the disc's we have now . Im sure theirs tons of people willing to make a Flower Field of gaming though.

Hahaha, wow. If HD-DVD is six flowers, wouldn't double be, uh, twelve? Christ.

The best one is the commercial about the Cell processor when they finish it with "Could it possibly be more smart than you?" or whatever they say. ****ing ridiculous.

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71WYjaJjZME&mode=related&search=]New PS3 advertisment consists of old woman being attacked by terrorists[/url]

IT'S SO REALISTIC YOU NEED TO SEE THE DOCTOR BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU GOT SHOT LOLOLOL

Besides the DNA thing which is actually really cool, it's complete garbage. Sony sucks at advertising.

Posted by Bebop

This adverts are actually awful.

Posted by Bebop

So PS3 is basically better looking than reality huh? I swear Sony said the eaxact same thing about PS2's graphical power.

Posted by Klarth

PLAAAAYSTATIOOOON NIIIIIINE

aka wishful thinking

because it doesn't have giant crab battle

Posted by Aioros

[URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaRYMLr2YK4"]Yet another PS3 ad i shall complain about cuz i've run out of things to complain about, lol.[/URL]

Posted by Klarth

Wait, why are you *****ing about a TV spot from 20 years ago? I don't get it.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Because it's funnah.[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

**** yourself, fanturd.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Aioros][URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaRYMLr2YK4"]Yet another PS3 ad i shall complain about cuz i've run out of things to complain about, lol.[/URL]

Oh, we haven't, Sony make sure of that.

Wait, Sony have stopped giving us things to complain about and make fun of? Huh, that's impossible at this point.

You have to be the biggest fanboy to even consider those halfway decent.

Posted by Drewboy64

wow, i loved how they showed anything having to do with playstation 3 at all in that commercial.
edit: The baby one was garbo, too, and the sunflower one was a little better.

But wow, these ads suck ***.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: You have to be the biggest fanboy to even consider those halfway decent.

I thought they were a little long and I'd prefer if they kept the beyondness to a minimum, but the gameplay footage was pretty good, if it was gameplay that is. So yeah, halfway decent. :/

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaRYMLr2YK4"]Yet another PS3 ad i shall complain about cuz i've run out of things to complain about, lol.[/URL]

Christ stop being a fanboy. The adverts suck.

Well, maybe sony's "logic" goes something like this: Their psp launch ads were actually pretty cool, and that system has failed to make them any money at all. Perhaps if their ads suck, they'll be more financially successful.

Posted by Bebop

Adverts I really like are the Xbox ones. Not the ones of ingame footage with cheesey annoying voice over but the slightly metaphoric ones. Like the one where police chase robbrers and when they catch them they switch clothes and badges and things and the cops starts counting. Thats a good un.

I've never seen that one before =/

Quoted post:
I thought they were a little long and I'd prefer if they kept the beyondness to a minimum, but the gameplay footage was pretty good, if it was gameplay that is. So yeah, halfway decent. :/

You mean the ten seconds of gameplay tucked away in two minutes of bull****? Yeah, ok. That's not halfway decent, that's far from anything resembling decent. And what about the baby one? You know, the one where they don't even mention what it is, they just show a doll crying? yeah, good stuff.

Posted by Fate

1/4 decent? :(

Actually, I thought that commercial was pretty cool. Not to show off the product or anything, but just because it's weird to watch. I like all system-specific commercials. They get me really excited.

Posted by Klarth

Being "weird to watch" isn't a factor in good advertising.

Yeah... decent as in it's a decent advert. Which it's not. The others that just talk about the console are bloated with exaggerations and embarrassing lines. But hey, at least they talk about the console.

Posted by Bebop

New ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qamwVJaYW8

... right.

So apparently the cell explodes?

Posted by Bebop

The laptop batteries do so why not? HIIII-OOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by KoH

These are some of the worst ads I've ever seen in my life. :( Only brainless spoiled 13 year olds would think such mindless images are worthwhile.

Posted by Speedfreak

I actually really liked that last ad. The [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR3tsTCZHus&eurl=]Japanese[/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21nK3K-Xz3M&eurl=]ads[/url] are also decent.

Posted by KoH

The thing I like about all these advertisements is that nothing really happens yet they make it seem like something did. Sony tries too ****ed hard to impress you with how "epic" PS3's gonna be so they end up making total dumbasses of themselves.

Oh, and the fact that nothing in the ads have anything to do with actual gaming or even the console itself.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Speedfreak: I actually really liked that last ad. The [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR3tsTCZHus&eurl=]Japanese[/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21nK3K-Xz3M&eurl=]ads[/url] are also decent.

What? Neither of those make any sense. A kid looking at smokestacks? A guy unplugging a razor? What the hell. :/

Besides, I now know I want a Rubik's Cube for Christmas. It levitates higher than a ****ing PS3.

Posted by Speedfreak

Wow. You know, another forum I go to didn't get them either, but I figured it was just them that were stupid!

People staring at a power* plant and a power* outlet.

OMG WUT CUD DIS MEEN!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?23q

*THESE ARE CLUES!

Posted by KoH

I uh, I actually assumed Sony would decide not to insult themselves... Unless they decided to try and show how awesome "power" is in general. As opposed to what I originally though when you said that which is, well, that it would require a power plant to power the PS3. :(

Quoted post: Wow. You know, another forum I go to didn't get them either, but I figured it was just them that were stupid!

People staring at a power* plant and a power* outlet.

OMG WUT CUD DIS MEEN!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?23q

*THESE ARE CLUES!

A deep meaning like that sure makes for a great commercial :rolleyes:

Posted by Speedfreak

Look, I'm sorry that America has absolutely no concept of subtltey, but these ads are for Japan. It's not that these ads are for super-smart people, because I understood them instantly. It's just that it's clearly not for the average American. :)

No, I got what they were going for. But as ads, I just find them terrible. It's not that I didn't get them, rather that I did get them. Is that really how you want to get your product out there, by showing smoke stacks and sockets? Because that's not how I, as a company, would want to generate interest and talk. The Rubik's Cube is far superior to those two as a commercial and even that one was fairly bad in my opinion.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Speedfreak: Look, I'm sorry that America has absolutely no concept of subtltey, but these ads are for Japan. It's not that these ads are for super-smart people, because I understood them instantly. It's just that it's clearly not for the average American. :)

No I get it, its just stupid.

Its a power thing, but unless they told you some thing spacific in the end of the commercial they point can be easily missed.

Quoted post: Its a power thing, but unless they told you some thing spacific in the end of the commercial they point can be easily missed.

No... no it wouldn't. What Speedy said is generally correct. Japs probably won't miss the point because, well, just look at movies that come out of there. They're not as simple as American movies because they're used to not having everything spelt out for them. Chances are they won't miss the point.

Even if the point is a lame one.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, I kow full-well that PS3 isn't the most powerful system of the 3. But Sony certainly want their fans to believe that. I don't think their focus on power is a bad decision at all, marketing-wise. People have known for 2 generations that Playstation is fun, it wouldn't make much sense to focus on that again. The main difference with PS3 is it's power.

I really hope Nintendo has ads as good as the Japanese PS3 ads that just have a very simple, clear message.

Quoted post: I really hope Nintendo has ads as good as the Japanese PS3 ads that just have a very simple, clear message.

What about that Wii one where the hold up the remote and say "what's this?" That's just as good as the smokestack one.

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, that ad's pretty lame too. Both show the product, but they don't show it in use...

Not even that. It's when your entire ad consists of "What's this? Ah, the Wii remote (or whatever)" I can't help but think it's just a really lackluster commercial and really lame overall.

Posted by Bebop

I think the Japanses ads are bettter. Wierd doesnt do well for PS3. I didnt think of the power thing. I thought it had something to do with 4s because that was the number of stacks and holes in the sockets. I figured the voice over would explain more. Now that I know there marketting angle is the console's power it makes more sense, but personally I can think of a better example than chimneys.

Posted by Unite

hmm they must be doing something right if they manage to get all of you to view them.

Posted by Klarth

And getting the attention of a load of cynical skeptics on an internet forum who vehemently dislike the PS3, are already aware of its existence and never plan on purchasing one generates exactly HOW many sales, again?

Posted by Speedfreak

That Wii ad was a mere teaser. It's being released later in Japan than in the US, so it's not yet the right time for a full-scale launch campaign.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: And getting the attention of a load of cynical skeptics on an internet forum who vehemently dislike the PS3, are already aware of its existence and never plan on purchasing one generates exactly HOW many sales, again?

Didn't a few of you say you would be buying one?

Posted by Klarth

That's not the point. Advertising is meant to appeal to a demographic of people who might want to buy the console, not a group who have already decided on not doing so.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: That's not the point. Advertising is meant to appeal to a demographic of people who might want to buy the console, not a group who have already decided on not doing so.

hmm I remember a few months ago you guys were telling me you were planning to buy one. It's nice to see you being honest for once.

Quoted post: Didn't a few of you say you would be buying one?

I am, but that doesn't stop me from thinking these commercials are completely **** and that the PS3 itself is nearly garbage at this point.

Sony getting us to talk about it is far from amazing. This is what we come here for, and on top of that, look at the responses. Aside from Fate and Aioriswhatever, it's all negative. That's not good, and that's not doing anything right. Those commercials aren't even meant for us. In this case, they're also not doing anything wrong. But to say they are doing something right because we are talking about it is just stupid.

Posted by Klarth

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4814501282951264192

Once upon a time, Sony had good advertising.

Pretentious, but cool.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Klarth: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4814501282951264192

Once upon a time, Sony had good advertising.

Wow, how could a company go from making good commercials to making ones about stereotypical Dust Bunnies and squirrels ?

Posted by XxLionheartXx

next the sequel.... Sequel: The Price