Blowing stuff up... 80's style.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

If you remeber, there was a time when an action movie followed a strict formula.

One hero, can't be killed, outnumbered by bad guys, realistically should be dead by now, outsmarts enemies, blows enemies up, gets the girl(s).

But look now. I mean, think of movies like First Blood, Die Hard, Big Trouble in Little China... These are examples of the 80's style action classics.

Now action movies are technical and sensitive like the Matrix. Watch Die Hard some time. It's crazy. The terrorists are GERMAN. How long has it been since we were afraid of Germans? Not middle-eastern, but German. Weird, eh?

Don't get me wrong. The Matrix was/is an excellent film. But it just doesn't have the excellent untouchable-hero-who-should-be-dead-yet-continues-to-blow-things-up feel.

I think that Daylight starring Stallone was probably one of the last 80's style films. It was actually released in the 90s, but it does hold that 80's feel I was talking about.

So does anyone agree? Does anyone else think it's time for another good old 80's style unrealistic action film?

Fei-on

Posted by Mixhael

Not to get off topic here, but the TV Show "The A-Team" is filled with episodes like what you described. They could be shooting back and fourth with some dude 5 ft away and never get hit.

The most recent example of what you describe that I can think of was XXX. If you've seen it, it reminded me a lot of Die Hard-ish 80s movies. I know its filled with 007 type gadget jargon at some points, but the basic one-hero-cant-be-killed-gets-the-girl-plus-millions-of-explosions concept is there. In fact, the 007 series is probably the only thing left keeping such a formula alive. I'm not sure if we need more cause I've never been a huge fan of these movies, but for entertainment's sake a few more wouldn't hurt.