What if the SNES CD WAS released?

Posted by Proto Man

Rewind back to 1991 when Sony and Nintendo were working together to develop the Playstation. What if the deal actually went through? What do you think would have happened if Sony and Nintendo would have stayed together, and released the Playstation as an SNES add-on? Do you think it would have been a good idea?

I personally think that if it would have worked out, Nintendo's position would have been strengthened. I wouldn't have wanted the Playstation add-on though, I would have rather seen the "Philips CD-ROM XA / SNES Nintendo Disc" because it involved both Philips and Sony. With the "Playstation" add-on, I could see Sony having more control and trying to take Nintendo in a direction where they wouldn't want to go.

Posted by Zapper

If Sony and Nintendo had of continued to work together I think they would have made a pretty strong company. Both of their consoles have great features - to see them together would be quite interesting.

Oh well, it'll probably never happen :(

Posted by Zeta

Nintendo would be gone. If I recall, in the contract or whatever Sony said they'd get all the profit, or whatever.

Or whatever.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Proto Man: What do you think would have happened if Sony and Nintendo would have stayed together, and released the Playstation as an SNES add-on?

That, alone, spells failure. Just look at how well it worked out for Sega. Sega+Sega CD+Sega 32x+Sega CD games that required you to have the 32x=Ultimate failure. Recent history has well proven that people like new systems. Not new systems in the form of add-ons to older systems. Though, I'm a huge fan and collector of odd 32 bit systems and the like, I can still see why people got a little annoyed with them.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Zeta: Nintendo would be gone. If I recall, in the contract or whatever Sony said they'd get all the profit, or whatever.

Or whatever.

Actually, your right. It was a bad deal and that's why Nintendo broke off the first time. The deal with both Sony AND Philips would have been better.

Quoting Boner: That, alone, spells failure. Just look at how well it worked out for Sega. Sega+Sega CD+Sega 32x+Sega CD games that required you to have the 32x=Ultimate failure. Recent history has well proven that people like new systems. Not new systems in the form of add-ons to older systems. Though, I'm a huge fan and collector of odd 32 bit systems and the like, I can still see why people got a little annoyed with them.

Hmm, yeah I see your point. I mean once you HAVE that add-on, what incentive do you have to keep making games for the lesser half of the system?

Posted by Zapper

Quoting Proto Man: Actually, your right. It was a bad deal and that's why Nintendo broke off the first time. The deal with both Sony AND Philips would have been better.

Yeah, now that I think about it, Sony would have taken over Nintendo.

[Quote=Proto Man]
Hmm, yeah I see your point. I mean once you HAVE that add-on, what incentive do you have to keep making games for the lesser half of the system?

That's also true. Why even make the addon when you can have a whole newer and better system that does just what the addon would do?

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Sega might have actually been more successful than they had been with the Saturn, because the Nintendo 64 never would have been released, so it would have only been the Sega Saturn vs the Nintendo Playstation.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: Sega might have actually been more successful than they had been with the Saturn, because the Nintendo 64 never would have been released, so it would have only been the Sega Saturn vs the Nintendo Playstation.

Actualy, Nintendo 64 hardly had anything to do with Saturn not doing so hot. It was more of the Sony Playstation than anything. Playstation had better apps. In fact even if it was Nintendo Playstation VS. Sega Saturn, that would be even worse for Sega. Without killer Apps, Saturn went down. Nintendo Playstation would have had not only Mario, but probably pretty much a lot of what the original Sony Playstation has today. As good as that may sound, in the long run it would have been bad for gaming IMO.

Quoting Proto Man: Actualy, Nintendo 64 hardly had anything to do with Saturn not doing so hot. It was more of the Sony Playstation than anything. Playstation had better apps. In fact even if it was Nintendo Playstation VS. Sega Saturn, that would be even worse for Sega. Without killer Apps, Saturn went down. Nintendo Playstation would have had not only Mario, but probably pretty much a lot of what the original Sony Playstation has today. As good as that may sound, in the long run it would have been bad for gaming IMO.

Overall, though, Sega would have had less to compete with. When you only have two systems to choose between investing in, rather than three, you have more money to spend, and gamers with that money will be more likely to invest in both. With three systems, that's more money for a gamer to invest in systems, especially when the third wheel, Nintendo's entry, is the cheapest.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: Overall, though, Sega would have had less to compete with. When you only have two systems to choose between investing in, rather than three, you have more money to spend, and gamers with that money will be more likely to invest in both. With three systems, that's more money for a gamer to invest in systems, especially when the third wheel, Nintendo's entry, is the cheapest.

This is true, but without killer apps, you can't get very far. Sega Master System was no match to the NES becasue of games, and they were pretty much the main players in the 8 bit days. Sure there was Atari, but they were pretty much down the tubes by then anyhow. It wasn't until Sega came out with Sonic the Hedgehog and other blockbuster titles that they picked up enough steam to combat Nintendo. Now fast forward, if Saturn would have had more Sonic games, and better games over all (and not so many darn internal issues) they would have been able to compete better in the 32/64 bit era. Even against a Nintendo Playstation! My previous scenario was based upon how Sega did though.

Quoting Proto Man: This is true, but without killer apps, you can't get very far. Sega Master System was no match to the NES becasue of games, and they were pretty much the main players in the 8 bit days. Sure there was Atari, but they were pretty much down the tubes by then anyhow. It wasn't until Sega came out with Sonic the Hedgehog and other blockbuster titles that they picked up enough steam to combat Nintendo. Now fast forward, if Saturn would have had more Sonic games, and better games over all (and not so many darn internal issues) they would have been able to compete better in the 32/64 bit era. Even against a Nintendo Playstation! My previous scenario was based upon how Sega did though.

I never said Sega would have won. However, my point is that if there was only one system to compete against, the Saturn wouldn't have died out as fast as it did. Of course Sega had a lot of problems, as well as the inability to focus on one project at a time, but if they had one system instead of two, the Saturn probably would have squeaked by until the fourth generation, the way the GameCube did in the last generation, rather than die out halfway through.