Grudge 2

Posted by maian

As expected, was laughable. :)

Actually, the first time I had even seen the first Grudge was on thursday, and I didn't find it to be scary at all. Since many of my friends went, I decided to just go and see The Grudge 2. I never jumped, and there were only one or two parts that actually slightly scared me.

I did think it was better than the first, however.

Opinions?

Posted by Dexter

Ju-on > Grudge,

Not that the Japenese version's really scary, but it's definitely more amusing to watch. I'd say it's scarier, too, I suppose. I'm going to try and see Grudge 2 tomorrow, for I am actually interested in it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Every version sucks, as does the sequel. People need to stop making ****ty horror movies.

Posted by Dexter

What are some of your favorite horror films, Vamp? You seem to like the genre a lot but I don't think I've ever seen you mention any particular film you liked.

Top five:

Alien
Silence of the Lambs
Faust
The Night of the Living Dead
Audition

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and American Psycho are also pretty cool. The latter in part due to the book.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

. . . but those aren't scary movies?

Posted by Dexter

Alien and The Night of the Living Dead can be considered scary by many. Silence of the Lambs, Audition, and American Psycho are more about psychologically disturb people that do scary things to people or at least think they do. They could all be considered horror though. Torture is a scary subject.

Quoted post: . . . but those aren't scary movies?

They're all horror, though :cookie:

Posted by DarkBlade

[COLOR=Black]Well, for all those whom may think that its a bad horror movie could be wrong. IGN calls it a comedy when the right music is played.
I found this to be very funny and made even the "pop outa nowere, pale kid" not even to be abit jumpy.
[URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=WhSRYJ5Yg9A"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=WhSRYJ5Yg9A[/URL]

Very amusing.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Crazy K

Everyone I know pretty much wants to see it when I could care less for it. The first one was horrible in many ways, and I doubt the sequel will be any better. I will probably end up renting it though.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Vampiro: They're all horror, though :cookie:

silence of the lambs is more thriller or drama than horror (detective movie with a creepy overtone).

Alien. . . on an unrelated note Aliens is better and it's... yeah I guess Horror.

Faust- good? yes. scary? no
night of the living dead
auditon-had to imdb it, but looks good

nevermind. I realized that most of these are horror, but for some reason it's engrained in my skull that in order to be "horror" it must be "scary". shrug

SotL isn't horror though :P I see it as less scary and creepy and more intense and gripping action/dialogue

Posted by Raptor

Terrible movie.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: silence of the lambs is more thriller or drama than horror (detective movie with a creepy overtone).

Alien. . . on an unrelated note Aliens is better and it's... yeah I guess Horror.

Faust- good? yes. scary? no
night of the living dead
auditon-had to imdb it, but looks good

nevermind. I realized that most of these are horror, but for some reason it's engrained in my skull that in order to be "horror" it must be "scary". shrug

SotL isn't horror though :P I see it as less scary and creepy and more intense and gripping action/dialogue

Silence of the Lamb can be considered horror. Just like Seven :p:

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

seven is not a horror movie!

Yes it is. All the movies I listed are horror. None of them are scary, because no horror movie has scared me since I was six. Yet, they still fit in the genre. See?

And yeah, Aliens is better than Alien, I won't argue there. But it's far more of an action movie than it is a horror.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: seven is not a horror movie!

What makes a horror movie horror? Once you have the horror conventions youll find alot in Seven.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

seven is more of a psychological thriller. It isn't a horror movie. Horror movies are meant to scare people, creep them out, etc. Seven was tense, exciting, and had a good plot. It was totally NOT a horror movie. Sure, people got killed in it, but you weren't ever wondering WHO would get killed, a la horror movies. The main characters were never in danger of being killed, like in horror movies. The victims were merely names and faces, who were nothing more than props, propeling the plot forward.

As for the grudge 2, I liked it. It was creepy, which I enjoy, but not particularly scary. I wonder where it will go next. Interesting.

Posted by Bebop

Seven may be a pychological thriller but its does have alot of horror conventions like gore, darkness, the unkown factor, death and sexual imagery.
What 'scares' people is subjective. The Ring didnt scare me yet I can clearly see it's trying to be a horror.
WHO got killed was irrelevant. No one gave a **** about the first girl in Scream other than she was a goner. Alot of horror's use deaths of characters the audince never met. Think of 3 horror examples. i doubt you'll find one which doesnt do that.
The main characters were in danger of being killed. We just didnt know it. If John Doe could *[spoiler]kidnap and murder Mill's wife than I'm sure he was in danger[/spoiler].*
Every death in a horror is "The victims were merely names and faces, who were nothing more than props, propeling the plot forward." Jeez.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I see your point, but even in horror movies where people get killed left and right and nobody bats an eye, the focus is on the killing itself. The FOCUS in horror movies in on being scared and killing. The FOCUS in SotL and Seven and those type movies is more of the mystery, the chase, and seeing how the main character(s) (typically one though) will solve the crime. That's the driving different. Slasher movies, these new japanese copy movies, etc, all focus on people getting chased, killed, and crap jumping out at you. Granted, the Ring and the Grudge have detective-type aspecs now, where they're trying to figure out WHY people are dying and how to stop it, but the focus is still on creepy things and people GETTING killed. In what I dub "thriller" type movies, the focus is on people already dead, or particularly solving the crime. Granted, in SotL the kidnapped girl is the focus, and his slowly killing her, but she's not being chased. . . she's not being pursued. . . nothing jumps out at you except full frontal tuck-under nudity by Buffalo Bob. In Seven, you KNOW the main characters aren't in any trouble. . . they're pursuing the badguy. The focus is on FINDING the bad guy, not getting away from him. People seem more like cattle in horror movies and one might get lucky and kill the killer, as opposed to in thrillers, they're pursuing the bad guy. That's how I view it. The two are becoming more intermixed now, with beforementioned Japanese remakes, but I still think there are defining perks.

Posted by Bebop

A film doesnt have to be jumpy to be considered horror. Omen is an example.
The main focus of horror is , if anything, scaring the audience (which is subjective). Killing is not.
I agree that Seven is if anything more thriller but it does have an awful awful lot of horror conventions in it. It may not be a formualic text book horror but, whether unitentional or not, it is.
But one of the main problems with genre is that every film is supposadly an example of genre, and too often people are looking for similarites between films than differences for the sake of classifying it. I've seen countless films which I think I categorised incorrectly but at the end of the day, according to the rules of genre, if enough conventions are there it MUST be from said genre. Also, as far as the conventions of horror are concerned 'scaring the audience' isnt actually one of them. :p:

Fine, they're thrillers with horror elements. There.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

we'll just call them "hollers". Who wants to go down to tha holler?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

all in all, I will admit, seven is very hororish. I guess I just have certain prejudices that I hold to thrillers and horrors that I can't call one by the other. It's no big deal, call them what you like, Ijust wanted to show my perspective [spoiler]you fascists[/spoiler]