Suicide and Suicidal Tendencies

Posted by Skitzo Control

With all the things going on in my life, from uncertainty, poverty, loneliness, feelings of being overwhelmed, depressed, ignored, forgotten, and so forth, it's hard to grasp a reason to keep going on. Suicide is not on my mind often, or for a very long time, but the occasional thought pops up when I'm up late at night (like right now) with nothing to do, nobody to talk to, and left to be alone with my thoughts.

How many others have felt or do feel this way, at times? Those that do, what do you do to overcome the depression? Those that don't, what do you think keeps you from such morbid thoughts? Mostly, I'm curious as to everybody's experience with suicide, be it their own, a friend's, family member's, neighbor's, or otherwise.

Posted by Raptor

I think about it sometimes, because it's such a fascinating subject. Destroying in a few moments something that took years and years of hard work to develop and maintain. I think about murder, too. It's a very compelling thing to think about.

I doubt any circumstances would ever drive me to do either, though. Both are most commonly done either out of desperation or stupidity, and I don't think I will ever lose so much self-control so as to end up attempting suicide or murder. Sometimes, when I am in a fairly reckless mood, and am short-tempered, I will go out and do dangerous activities, such as leaping across deep ravines, or jumping from high cliffs into pools of water whose depth I am uncertain of. I actually feel tempted to toy with fate, sometimes... restaining myself from doing so causes me to be so irritable I can't help myself from lashing out at everyone around me and myself, so I think it's better I give in to my strange urges. Sometimes, I feel invincible, other times, I gaze in wonderment down at the streamlets of blood flowing from my arms or legs, or my torn-up feet after a masochistic barefoot wander over jagged lava rock. As I revel in the pain, admiring my injuries and feeling eager for the physical and mental relief provided by self-administered medical attention, I am reminded of my own true mortality and fragility. It feels good and proper to get myself hurt sometimes, but I will never willingly force my own death.

Posted by Hyper

[quote=A friend of mine]If I ever commit suicide, I'm going to eat a bunch of Pop Rocks and drink a bunch of Coca- Cola first to play a joke on the guy who does my autopsy. He'll find them in my stomach and **** his pants with laughter.

Only posted a few hours ago. WHAT A COINCIDENCE.

I've only thought about committing suicide once, and that was a few years ago when I was more easily influenced by people on the Interwebz. And it wasn't even a cool suicide. I imagined jumping off my roof to do the deed. Looking back, I laugh at myself.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Maybe once I'm old and I've done everything I want to do I'll off myself (just to avoid the whole ****ty old age thing), but aside from that I've got too much **** to look forward to.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Eh, I went through a horribly rough period in my life where I seriously considered it more than once. The more you think about it, the more depressed you get, and the more you want to do it. So it's a pretty vicious circle. I just never went through with it because I didn't have the guts. Plus, it would have probably killed my mom. So I couldn't bring myself to do it, for those reasons and more.

As for getting over it, I didn't really do anything. I just waited until the various issues worked themselves out and things got better. After that, I changed my attitude allowing me to be a lot more apathetic about things, thus not really being affected. Which probably isn't a good thing, but oh well. Things improved, I'm happy now, my life is going well.

That's also definitely not how you want to handle the situation, because if you wait long enough, who knows what's going to happen. Best to seek some professional help, like a therapist, do something active that you enjoy to take your mind off whatever it is, while trying to fix them.

Posted by Fate

I just think it's all in my head and get over it.

Posted by Bebop

If I go down I'm taking you all with me!

Posted by maian

I've never had suicidal thoughts. I enjoy life too much to think about ending it.

And, I think of it from a logical point of view, as well. Many religions believe that suicide leads to Hell, or at least, not heaven. So, if you believe in that, it's getting you nowhere. And on the other hand, if you do'nt have religion, and don't believe in an afterlife, well then, you're ending the only thing you have.

Even if you end it, it's not like you'll be able to feel better, since you're nonexistant, amirite?

Anyway, a close friend of mine came close to commiting suicide. She was having a bad life. Her friends started forsaking her, she wasn't able to talk to her parents without ending up in fights, sometimes physical. Everything in her life seemed to be going wrong, and she ended up cutting a heart into her wrist. Turns out that several years ago, she was going through the same thing and she tried to cut the artery on her leg. She's happy now, and regrets ever thinking those thoughts.

Most people who consider suicide laugh or regret it later on. ;|

Quoted post: And on the other hand, if you do'nt have religion, and don't believe in an afterlife, well then, you're ending the only thing you have.

Even if you end it, it's not like you'll be able to feel better, since you're nonexistant, amirite?

You have to consider that, to get to the point where suicide is a realistic option, life probably isn't worth living, and being nonexistant sounds very tempting. Makes sense, yes?

Posted by Stalolin

supposedly I've got bad chemicals in my mind that make me think about suicide a few times a month. I've learned to just live with it, telling myself to stop being so pathetic and move on. Of course, I haven't really had any good reasons to commit suicide, I've just overexaggerated how I felt.

I generally feel better when I talk with someone a little bit and tell them how I'm feeling and why I'm feeling it. It gets a load of your shoulders when you tell people how you feel.

and no, I've never attempted it, but I have stopped at our medicine cabinet once or twice to pull something out, only to put it back a second later.

Posted by maian

Quoting Vampiro: You have to consider that, to get to the point where suicide is a realistic option, life probably isn't worth living, and being nonexistant sounds very tempting. Makes sense, yes?

Oh, I know. I've taken that into consideration. I guess that's only how I think. :)

I generally really suck at getting out what I'm trying to say, anyway.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I realize that I'm too good to go out like that

Posted by Lord of Spam

to get over my depression, I pretty much just forced myself to stop being a little ***** about thigns I couldnt control, and forced myself to go out and have fun until i was over it.

Worked pretty well.

Posted by The Judge

I'd never commit suicide. My boss always said it's a "permanent solution to a temporary problem." But even though some problems are permanent, I still wouldn't. I guess due to the fact that I'm religious and all. Thus, I believe if you commit suicide, regardless of circumstance, you burn in Hell for all eternity, so that's a no go for me.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting The Judge: Thus, I believe if you commit suicide, regardless of circumstance, you burn in Hell for all eternity, so that's a no go for me.

I like how I've never read that in any of the versions of any of the books of the bible I've ever read.

Which is ironicly more than most people have.

Posted by The Judge

Catholicism get, as well as various forms of Christanity. I'm scared to death of eternal punishment, so even if it's untrue, it's one less thing I'll be doing to temp da[COLOR="black"]m[/COLOR]nation.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Lord of Spam: I like how I've never read that in any of the versions of any of the books of the bible I've ever read.

Which is ironicly more than most people have.

it's the 5th commandment and it's in the catechism
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm

you either follow one, the other, or both, depending on which type of christian you are. Did you skip that whole Moses bit or something?

Posted by Anatomy Of A Ghost

i had thoughts of suicide a few years ago...i wasnt liked by many people and i would get the **** kicked out of me for no reason at all...my home life was pretty good but having no friends and comming home bleeding with black eyes every day was not my piece of cake, but since then ive learned to deal with those feelings and get over them... i still dont have many friends and i dont get the **** kicked outta me, but suicide isnt on my mind

Posted by Speedfreak

Honestly, most of you should seek medical attention and some form of therapy. It's not something built into you and it can be helped. It did wonders for me.

Posted by Gollum

My life has always been good. I've never considered it or had any experience with it.

Posted by Iris

I thought of it a few times when I was really young, as a way to get back at my parents when they ticked me off, since I knew they really cared about me. I haven't thought of it since though, and I don't really have a reason to.

Posted by mis0

I get depressed sometimes, but generally speaking things will get better at some point, so I just try to deal with things until they improve. And if things do not improve, then I'll lash out rather than hurt myself mainly because everything else is the problem and I shouldn't punish myself for the **** brought on by others. They can suffer too, if it comes to that.

Posted by Hammered On

I've been through a lot of horrible **** in my life and have thought about suicide numerous times. I realize that it's not worth it, though. Despite how ****ty life gets, there is so much to live for, and so much I haven't accomplished yet that I couldn't possibly end my own life. I just think to myself, I shall overcome this **** just like that last **** and the **** before that, because I am strong, and somehow still sane after everything I've been through. It isn't long before I'm up and fighting again, ready to take things on.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: it's the 5th commandment and it's in the catechism
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm

you either follow one, the other, or both, depending on which type of christian you are. Did you skip that whole Moses bit or something?

huh, i didnt even think about it an issue of killing, I was thinking of it as a specific thing against killing youself. Wow, disregard that.

Posted by GameMiestro

Therapy is for wackos, masochism is for emo folk, and suicide is for both. How some people can go throughout the day without a constant obsession for extending one's life is beyond me. :)

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting maian: I've never had suicidal thoughts. I enjoy life too much to think about ending it.

This man speaks for me.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

and I do second what speedfreak said. Therapy works. I mean, sure, it's a thought every now and then "I wish I was dead" or what have you, but dwelling on such things is a sign of needing some help.

Posted by sniper

Suicide is for gays.

Posted by Ant

Huh...never knew you were gay. Seriously...all these years, gay.

Posted by The Judge

You thought those were just playful kisses? Guys don't play that way.

Posted by Slade

Sometimes I'll feel down for a week or so because my headache hasn't let up and doesn't look like it's going to or something. It's usually a combination of agonizing chronic pain and a stressed relationship that make me want to end it. Most times just the seemingly endless pain is enough. I think, "Man if I have to live life feeling like this until I die, I'd rather just die now." I usually want to go to sleep and never wake up again. Cutting myself doesn't sound like fun. I've never acted on these urges because I figure they'll pass.

I have seen a psychiatrist about depression/chronic headaches before(they thought maybe the two were connected), but was never prescribed anything. I loathe seeing people on antidepressants. They act so out of it, so mindless...

My bleak outlook on life doesn't help. Everything is meaningless(lol we read Ecclesiastes in Sunday school today). I believe that I don't matter and that nothing I do matters. I used to say, "Well God loves me and because I'm part of his greater plan I should be thankful and joyous," but those feelings have almost completely gone. I still think living like Jesus did is a good idea, but all that other stuff... I'm losing it fast.

Okay, what do I do when I feel like that? I usually sleep for a long time or talk to one of my friends who puts me in a good mood(it helps if it's a girl). After an entertaining conversation I'll feel on top of the world again for at least a while.

Posted by Klarth

Haven't had anything close to a suicidal thought since I was eight or nine and was honestly considering it. I was going through a really, really grim phase back then and I came out as the totally apathetic person I am now.

I don't think I'd ever consider it in the future - Right now I have too much to live for.

Posted by Staev

Quoting Vampiro: You have to consider that, to get to the point where suicide is a realistic option, life probably isn't worth living, and being nonexistant sounds very tempting. Makes sense, yes?

Yes, but how short-sighted does one have to be to come to this conclusion! So many people have been through much, much worse situations than all the emo kids that kill themselves nowadays, and they sometimes think that life may not be worth living, but they press on and they find happiness and they die pleased that they didn't kill themselves before the bad times could end.

Don't even get me STARTED on how my grandpa had to survive the worst from the two worst regimes in 20th century history, only to ultimately find absolutely sublime happiness.

Seriously, though, it makes me positively apoplectic to think of kids who assume that, because the first sixteen years of their lives have sucked, the next seventy years won't be living. What ****ing hubris...:mad:

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Staev]Yes, but how short-sighted does one have to be to come to this conclusion! So many people have been through much, much worse situations than all the emo kids that kill themselves nowadays, and they sometimes think that life may not be worth living, but they press on and they find happiness and they die pleased that they didn't kill themselves before the bad times could end.

Don't even get me STARTED on how my grandpa had to survive the worst from the two worst regimes in 20th century history, only to ultimately find absolutely sublime happiness.

Seriously, though, it makes me positively apoplectic to think of kids who assume that, because the first sixteen years of their lives have sucked, the next seventy years won't be living. What ****ing hubris...:mad:

No one ever said the logic you use when your mind is in a state like that is actually anything genuinely logical.

Posted by ExoXile

You only live once, do what you can with it.

I say, suicide's just extremely stupid.
It's cowardly, you hurt everyone but yourself.

And also, we're all going away soon enough anyway, there's always a way to solve anything. Always.

Having that said, yes, I had some kind of suicidal thoughts when I was little.
The reasons I had them is beyond me.

Posted by Slade

I don't get the whole, "I had suicidal thoughts when I was little" thing. I don't remember anything like that, and my childhood wasn't too enjoyable.

Posted by ExoXile

There are few things I love more than life.

Posted by Staev

Quoting Speedfreak: No one ever said the logic you use when your mind is in a state like that is actually anything genuinely logical.

Granted, very good point; still, I find it hard to believe that EVERYONE, or even MOST people, who commit suicide are that far removed from reality.

Posted by The Judge

Most aren't, and see suicide merely as a quick cop-out without thinking of the consequences, and the fact that death is permanent. At the time, people simply see it as "the only way out" and choose it quickly and irrationally, whether it makes logical sense to them or not.

It's like when you decide a puzzle is too hard to figure out, and you give up, instead of looking for other possibilities. Odds are if you spent more time on it, you'd see something you didn't before. If people have horrid lives and decide on suicide, odds are there are much better ways out, they just didn't take long enough to see it at the time.

Quoted post: Most aren't, and see suicide merely as a quick cop-out without thinking of the consequences, and the fact that death is permanent. At the time, people simply see it as "the only way out" and choose it quickly and irrationally, whether it makes logical sense to them or not.

No, no... not really. Most people brood over it for months and years. It's very rarely a "hey, today kinda sucked... well, time to kill myself :cookie:" kinda thing.

It's usually a prolonged experience that builds and builds until they don't think there's any reason to keep living. There's no logic behind it because they've generally lost all faith in logic. Plus, you can't say "Oh well, my dad went through years of pain and torture and he never thought about it, not once!" since it's all pretty relative.

Posted by Staev

Quoting Vampiro: No, no... not really. Most people brood over it for months and years. It's very rarely a "hey, today kinda sucked... well, time to kill myself :cookie:" kinda thing.

It's usually a prolonged experience that builds and builds until they don't think there's any reason to keep living. There's no logic behind it because they've generally lost all faith in logic. Plus, you can't say "Oh well, my dad went through years of pain and torture and he never thought about it, not once!" since it's all pretty relative.

It may be relative, but that doesn't mean that there's no way out for really anyone.

Quoted post: It may be relative, but that doesn't mean that there's no way out for really anyone.

Of course, but you're looking at it from a perfectly healthy, logical position. The whole point is that these people are far from healthy, nor are they in any right mind to think logically.

It's like telling an insane man to stop ramming his head into a wall because it's just something normal people don't do.

Posted by Staev

Quoting Vampiro: Of course, but you're looking at it from a perfectly healthy, logical position. The whole point is that these people are far from healthy, nor are they in any right mind to think logically.

It's like telling an insane man to stop ramming his head into a wall because it's just something normal people don't do.

I'm not convinced that that's always the case, though. I mean, I know that depression is actually a cerebro-chemical condition, but I also know that it has varying degrees, and I'm not exactly convinced that everyone who kills him- or herself is always at the worst end of the spectrum.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

clinical depression is completely different. It's the equivalent of someone wanting to be happy but they just can't. That's a whole different ballgame.

Quoted post: I'm not convinced that that's always the case, though.

Of course it's not always the case. What's up, An Hero?

Posted by Killer Jordo

For matters I will not go into, I have considered it. But the thought died. I usually just kept going on. Keeping under the surface until it died out of mind. I've never thought about that stage in my life for while now.

Posted by Delilah

I think about it, quite alot. Bt not for the purpose of ending my life, but out of curiosity. Death is very interesting, to me- and I know nothing about it, other than ways to bring it. Hehe, you all should see my therapist's face when I get on this subject during our sessions... priceless. :) But, seriously, yeah, I think about suicide; I think about many things- the sky, homework, my future, my friends. Death just happens to be one of those things