Censors

Posted by Skitzo Control

It's been on here for a long time, and there have been complaints about it, but I don't recall seeing any here on this board lately. Here it is:

Please, can we remove the censors of the words "damn," and "god?" The words used in unison, sure, I'd agree with, but there's no point in censoring them when words like "damnation" get ruined, or using "God" as an exclamation.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Skitzo Control: it's completely ridiculous to censor these two words

Which is exactly why he does it.

There's no point in even bringing it up.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I doubt that. I honestly see that Jesse just wants to keep this place "clean," which I'm all for, but the censoring of those two words alone is rather superfluous.

Posted by Hyper

He censored his home address. There's no hope.

Posted by Killer Jordo

I agree with Skitzo. People have been using *** in a diffrent text, and **** isn't really a swear at all.

Posted by Dexter

I moved this into the mod forum and I put a poll on it.

Posted by Hyper

And I voted to remove them, though I doubt Jesse will do anything no matter what the results are.

Posted by WackoHater2

I agree that they should be removed. I thought if I made this thread I'd be called an idiot though. It got made, so whatever.

Posted by muffla

I hate having to type G0d of war instead of *** of war so yes to ***

but **** i dont really care about

Posted by Killer Jordo

I think if it can make it onto prime-time TV it shouldn't be a swear since so many people are already exposed to it.

Posted by WackoHater2

The word "God" is censored so much, I think (probably wrong), because some people who do not believe in God, or have another superior being that they worship may be offended. Now, I do not believe in God, but I am not offended at all if someone uses the word around me. I dunno why some people are so uptight about it.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm fairly certain that this has been brought up in the past.

I honestly think that Jesse only does this to bother people. Perhaps if we would not let him know that we were bothered by it, there may be a chance of convincing him.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Well, I'm sure Jesse is, for the most part, lazy. The problem is, not saying anything gets even less done. What I'm sure he also realizes is that anybody with some computer knowledge knows how to get get around the censor with relative ease. Sure, the argument he'll bring about is, "But you all know how to get around it, anyway, so why take it off the list?" Yes, knowing how to get around the censor is one thing, Jesse, but if you didn't have certain words censored, for the most part, we wouldn't be overriding it. If the "damn" and "god" weren't censored, chances are, many people wouldn't see a need to override the censor, anymore.

Posted by Dexter

The poll is going in your favor, so he should change it eventually. Jesse listens to the results of a poll more than we realize.

Posted by Skitzo Control

A new word to add to the uncensor list!: "piss"

Posted by WackoHater2

Any news on whether they will be uncensored?

Posted by Arcadios

Never.

Posted by Sterling

So "cock" and "dick" aren't censored but *** and **** are?

Posted by Proto Man

lol

I think the a forum wide censor just doesn't work. VGC should have one of those individual censors so people can censor their own words.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

wait lol

Posted by G-Sides

i like the idea of going back to the autopsy pic as the censor 8-)

Posted by Proto Man

VGC should have an individual "per person" censor system. Then everyone would be happy and Jesse (or anyone else for that matter) could censor G[COLOR="White"]o[/COLOR]d all he wants while it won't affect the rest of us us.

Posted by Iris

I think he should censor the letter s again!

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Iris: I think he should censor the letter s again!

Are you tempting me!!! :wacko:

Posted by Iris

Do it. It's totally wacky!

Posted by lameboyadvance

Instead of asterisks, 'censor' all characters with their l33t equivalents. ;)

K1n9 0f d4 w4ck05!

Posted by Raptor

Make an off-topic message board for little kids, have the moderators be Big Bird and the Cookie Monster, and censor all forms of sexual suggestiveness there, no matter how subtle.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Iris]I think he should censor the letter s again!Or when he censored vowels, last April Fools' Day.

Posted by Supermario

Quoting Proto Man: VGC should have an individual "per person" censor system. Then everyone would be happy and Jesse (or anyone else for that matter) could censor G[COLOR="White"]o[/COLOR]d all he wants while it won't affect the rest of us us.

I would have to disagree, with only using the "per person" censor system the guests and logged off members, can't use it. And more members would curse (since the censor is an option) which would add to more spammed posts. I think a full censor system is good and the "per person" censor would work better if there was a full system censor also.

Posted by Slade

I think it's fine the way it is. It would be neat if God wasn't censored, though...

I would go for the personal censor idea, but I like to have my posts look the same to me as they do to everyone who reads them. Plus, I would inevitably censor all consonants, and I just want to avoid that whole thing.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Supermario: I would have to disagree, with only using the "per person" censor system the guests and logged off members, can't use it. And more members would curse (since the censor is an option) which would add to more spammed posts. I think a full censor system is good and the "per person" censor would work better if there was a full system censor also.

Huh? You know that's the system we use already, right? You seemed to like it before.

Quoted post: And more members would curse (since the censor is an option) which would add to more spammed posts.

Nah. Doubt that very much.

Posted by Supermario

Quoting Proto Man: Huh? You know that's the system we use already, right? You seemed to like it before.

Yeah, I like the user censor, it's a nice feature.:) The *** somtimes buggs me.

I just don't see the point in cursing, it's just distracting...

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Supermario: Yeah, I like the user censor, it's a nice feature.:) The *** somtimes buggs me.

I just don't see the point in cursing, it's just distracting...

I agree with you! I really don't like cursing myself. On the other side of the coin though, there is freedom of speech. This is why I like the "user censor" because it gives people a choice.

Most of my posts contain swearing. Asterisks make your posts look more dignified.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Proto Man: there is freedom of speech.

psst, there is no such thing as 'freedom of speech' on da internet!!!!!! :D Is this a govenment message board!!! :D I don't think so!!! :D:D:D

Posted by Random

Skitzo.. i'll **** your mom.. I self censored that before hand..

Posted by Random

Skitzo.. i'll **** your mom.. I self censored that before hand..

oh P.S. you like men

Posted by Skitzo Control

BUMP

Posted by Skitzo Control

Bump again.

Posted by S

Quoting Proto Man: I agree with you! I really don't like cursing myself. On the other side of the coin though, there is freedom of speech. This is why I like the "user censor" because it gives people a choice.

As a writer, I like to understand the concept of articulation. Cursing can be used in good respects, there is in fact nothing wrong with said words besides their original affiliations. The usage of them, however, has been altered. Their only "bad" words because society tells you so. I curse whenever I feel it conveys my point, and in person that's pretty often. Not so much in written script, though.

My personal thoughts is the board has a set system that makes it so words "X" "Y" and "Z" are censored for everyone. But you can turn that off, should you please, or make it more in depth.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Skitzo Control: Please, can we add more censores?" It's completely ridiculous to not censor very many words.

I agree. Now, give me a list of more words to censor!! :D

Posted by Omni

How about 'hell' for starters? If you're really being serious, I always found it weird that it wasn't censored.

Posted by Jesse Smith

er...that nasty word is listed all over the bible!!!!!!!!!! :D

Posted by Linkman

yeah, and so is 'god'. ;)

Posted by GameMiestro

WELL *** IS IN THE BIBLE A LOT AND YOU SURE DON'T LET US SAY THAT

edit: he beat me... :(

Why can't we say "d@mnation", when that is in the bible too? Check out Romans 13 verse 2.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Read da 10 commandments some time!! :D

Posted by Zeta

Plenty of words are synonymous with the censored words. Therefore I demand you censor all those synonymous words.

Posted by S

Quoting Jesse Smith: Read da 10 commandments some time!! :D

And if you're not of a Western religion?

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Lunairetic: And if you're not of a Western religion?

Put your hand in a burning oven to practice weeping, wailing, and gnashing your teeth!!

Posted by S

Quoting Jesse Smith: Put your hand in a burning oven to practice weeping, wailing, and gnashing your teeth!!

Metaphors. Doesn't change the fact that we can say ***, being that its in reference to a different "being."

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Jesse Smith;533763]Put your hand in a burning oven to practice weeping, wailing, and gnashing your teeth!!Hey, aren't the Jews the chosen people of The Lord? And aren't Mormons completely blasphemous for adding on to The Holy Bible?