Sony Do Something Right For Once

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68677&page=1

Incredible. A unified online system that uses actual currency to buy things with and doesn't have the most ***awful text entry system ever.

Still not worth $600, but this seems more thought out than Live was when it was launched, and (pending a Dashboard update), I'm actually envious of the way it's set out right now for PS3 when compared to 360.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, not really surprising. They had to come up with something better than Live for it to really work. Sony was quite capable of it and I guess they kind of just proved it. But I have a feeling MS won't shove this under the carpet, rather, those updates we see will be more like a war between the two trying to out-best each other.

I have a feeling they'll roll out the fall update on about November 10th just so they can have a week before PS3 to say 'ooh look, we just added all tihs functionality'.

Posted by Axis

Xbox Live is going to be down Tuesday because MS is saying "that they're adding stuff".

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's not the update though, just maintenance. But yeah, they are add "lots of cool stuff" so it should ne interesting to see what that stuff is. Figures it's on the 17, the day when SC, comes out though.

It'll be stuff they're adding to fall into place when the update does come around. I doubt we'll see any major changes except maybe a faster download speed.

Posted by Big Boss

Yeah, I've heard overall good things about its online system. At a recent keynote (I believe it was at GDCE), Epic's Tim Sweeney (crazy genius) likes that its structure is more open for porting user-created content on PC to the PS3 compared to how Microsoft is with their 360, which is something the mod community has always complained about consoles for lacking.

That's interesting. I've heard a lot of people saying that PC content is really easy to port to 360, but I'm fairly sure that was just constricted to working within the XNA framework.