Who else sees this?

Posted by cool gamer dad

I've seen this for as long as I can remember, but I never bothered to ask anyone if they saw it too.

So, stare at an object, or better yet the wall. Do you see anything odd?

What I'm talking about are the little "floaty" things. They're always the same shapes for me. A few are squiggly and "wormy", and the rest are circles alone or masses of circles. They slowly drift downward if I continue to stare, but I can make them fly upward when I look up! And then they again start to fall.

They are not colorful themselves, but take on the color of whatever you're looking at. Transparent. I'm not talking about the flashy white things you see when you get your school pictures taken.

It's fun to play games with them.

And if other people also see what I'm talking about, I want a smart guy here to give me an explanation.

Posted by Killer Jordo

If I stare at a wall, or a roof when I'm listening to music. I'll start to see things relating to the song. Imagination.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Killer Jordo: If I stare at a wall, or a roof when I'm listening to music. I'll start to see things relating to the song. Imagination.

You're a fucking moron and you have the perceptual comprehension skills of a beheaded goat.

Stinger - they're called "floaters". They're small bundles of matter which float around inside the eye, between the pupil and the retina. They drift and move at a different rate to everything else you perceive because, obviously, they move when the fluid of the eye is agitated - when you look in a different direction. If you have them (I do), they're harmless. If you suddenly start seeing a LOT more of them, though, then there could be something up with your retina.

Complicated explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

Now, while we're still on the topic of eyes, I'd like to know if there's anyone else out there who can stare at the sun for an age and not be affected at all. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and apart from needing reading glasses, my vision is perfect.

Posted by Omni

Perfectly valid question: Who comes to this kind of forum to look for answers like this, anyway?

Posted by Fate

I see that stuff all the time. I thought I was just seeing ****. :(

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Stone Cold Crazy: Perfectly valid question: Who comes to this kind of forum to look for answers like this, anyway?

Perfectly valid answer: The same people who want to know about how much you love Aerosmith, the same people who like reading about your childhood bisexual experiences and the same people who care about your special water cooler internship at daddy's important office.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Klarth: You're a fucking moron and you have the perceptual comprehension skills of a beheaded goat.

Stinger - they're called "floaters". They're small bundles of matter which float around inside the eye, between the pupil and the retina. They drift and move at a different rate to everything else you perceive because, obviously, they move when the fluid of the eye is agitated - when you look in a different direction. If you have them (I do), they're harmless. If you suddenly start seeing a LOT more of them, though, then there could be something up with your retina.

Complicated explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

Now, while we're still on the topic of eyes, I'd like to know if there's anyone else out there who can stare at the sun for an age and not be affected at all. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and apart from needing reading glasses, my vision is perfect.

Neat. Many thanks.

Haha. I never stare into the sun, because my mom says it's bad for me. Or rather, I was told it was.

[quote=Stone Cold Crazy]Perfectly valid question: Who comes to this kind of forum to look for answers like this, anyway?
I was asking if anyone else saw what I saw, which is reasonable right? Is anyone here blind?

Posted by Speedfreak

Stop taking drugs and get a real hobby.

Posted by WackoHater2

Sometimes I look at patterned carpets and tiles and I will see faces or animals. Usually once I look away I cannot find it again though. I like doing it in school when I am done all of my work.

Posted by Speedfreak

Come to think of it, I get this sometimes. Only when I look at the sky, for some reason. When I was a kid I thought I could see atoms!

Posted by Arczu

But that could just be an optical illusion. It tends to happen with patterns like checkered square and such.

The floaters... well you tend to ignore them most of the time. Though I heard about the too many part. Better be careful.

Watching a screen in the dark could have some negative effects like that. I think so.

Posted by ed elric

I have always had a lazy right eye but like klarth my eyesight never gets worse when i stare at the sun, the oly thing that happens is i see spots for about a minute

Posted by Omni

Oh, yeah, I forgot about how Aerosmith is my favorite band. Maybe that's because I like about 5 of their songs. I like them so much. That's funny.

Posted by Slade

Yeah I notice floaters every once in a while. It really is entertaining to look up and not let one leave your sight for a while. "Juggling floaters" I will call it.

About the sun stuff- A couple years ago I read a book next to a glass door in my house for about an hour and a half by the sunlight that came through the door. Afterwards I realized that everything was green. It lasted for about twenty minutes, and was pretty scary at first. It's uncomfortable for me too look at the sun too long(it makes my headache worse), but sometimes its fun to try to pick out the roundness of the sun, or just watch it change shape as the rays hit your eyes differently.

Posted by junior senior

dude, when I'm riding my scooter outside, I always make in my mind a "line" that's in the pavement and I jump over it. I was just explaining that today. Like, just the colouring of the pavement makes it a huge line. It just happens naturally.

Posted by Linko_16

I have to pay attention to my floaters at this time... I have a hole in my retina, and getting too many of them is an early sign that my retina may actually detach.

Fun stuff.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Junior Senior: dude, when I'm riding my scooter outside, I always make in my mind a "line" that's in the pavement and I jump over it. I was just explaining that today. Like, just the colouring of the pavement makes it a huge line. It just happens naturally.

worf

but just 6o clarifty, this is no6 a mental vonditon, but a physical.

I like playing gMES like t6hat in class lmao

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

when I see women I my floaters spell out "bitch!" in huge comic book letters

Posted by Hyper

I've noticed these things since I was really young and they always puzzled me. It feels good to finally find out what they are. I think they're definitely more visible underwater. I used to go to a water park every now and then and when I'd get into the big pool and open my eyes I'd see them. They'd seem to form a sort of crosshair shape at whatever I was looking at.

Posted by Skitzo Control

All my life, I've had a problem with these, and researched it years ago. When I saw the explanation, I thought I was an idiot and that everyone had already figured that out. Now I don't feel so bad.

I often see them only when I look at large, open spaces; mostly, the sky. They're rather hard for me to ignore, because it's just such a rare occurrence for me to see them and I can't help but look at them. Like breasts!

Posted by Hyper

They've never really been a big deal to me. Puzzling, but not inhibiting.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoted post: Now, while we're still on the topic of eyes, I'd like to know if there's anyone else out there who can stare at the sun for an age and not be affected at all. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and apart from needing reading glasses, my vision is perfect.

Actually When I stare at the sun the sun looks away. Thats just how bad [COLOR="Navy"]a[/COLOR]ss I am.

In all seriousness not really, I look into the sun for one moment and I have a fricken green dot in my eye for ten minutes. You must be pretty tough eyes.

Posted by sniper

Noticed them ages ago, and only notice them on rare occasions anymore. Never knew what they were, and never really cared; I always dismissed them as insignificant.

Posted by Ant

I haven't seen the spots, per se. But sometimes my vision will just blur out certin spots of myi visional spectrum. It's a clear color, I suppose; considering I can't see the spots. But they are of the spotish shape. I want to call them blurbs. Yes, that'll do QUITE nicely.

Posted by muffla

I love my floties I've seen these ever sice i was about 5 and my dad told me just about the same thing klarth said, then when i tried to tell my friend he was like "your a moron, you dont see little organisms, you can see light look over there"

yea well whos the moron now
[SIZE="1"]dont awncer that[/SIZE]

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

I would awncer this post, but I'm too busy hateing.

Posted by NEMI

[COLOR=PINK] Ha....yes, our minds play a lot of tricks on us. I've seen those things....kinda funny :)[/color]

Posted by G-Sides

so why was my post in this thread deleted :|

Posted by higbvuyb

http://www.floatershell.com/floaters-v21.zip

lol, Floater simulator.

Posted by Yaviel

Quoting Stinger: I've seen this for as long as I can remember, but I never bothered to ask anyone if they saw it too.

So, stare at an object, or better yet the wall. Do you see anything odd?

What I'm talking about are the little "floaty" things. They're always the same shapes for me. A few are squiggly and "wormy", and the rest are circles alone or masses of circles. They slowly drift downward if I continue to stare, but I can make them fly upward when I look up! And then they again start to fall.

They are not colorful themselves, but take on the color of whatever you're looking at. Transparent. I'm not talking about the flashy white things you see when you get your school pictures taken.

It's fun to play games with them.

And if other people also see what I'm talking about, I want a smart guy here to give me an explanation.

I do see that **** but I always figured there was a scratch on the lens of my eye...

Posted by Delilah

I see floaters all the time. I asked my sister once what they were, and she said I was crazy, and gave me an awful wierd look- I always assumed it had to do with my previous vision problems, until I ran into an article about them online a year ago. Hell, I even see them now.