IE7 is coming!

Posted by Proto Man

Yup, the final release is coming this month via MS Update, or Automatic Update! Microsoft hasn't said WHEN though

Posted by GameMiestro

Fantastic, an unessesary update for an obsolete browser!

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting GameMiestro: Fantastic, an unessesary update for an obsolete browser!

Obsolete? Please explain. IE7 is a major upgrade.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Can't say I really care. Wait, I do because now I'll have more perfectly fine computers coming into my shop because people can't figure out how this new fangled update works. Joy for a completely waste of my time.

Posted by Hyper

How did I know this was a Potatoman thread? Oh, right, the IE fellatio and the exclamatory fasion in which the title was written.

The only way this affects me is whether or not it'll read code right or not. I'm really hoping it will so my jobs will be less frustrating.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Hyper:
The only way this affects me is whether or not it'll read code right or not. I'm really hoping it will so my jobs will be less frustrating.

Seems to read code right so far...

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting GameMiestro: Fantastic, an unessesary update for an obsolete browser!

True, IE is becoming obsolete. Firefox for the win baby :cool:

[insert firefox opera argument for the rest of the thread]

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Proto Man: Seems to read code right so far...

I mean up to the same standards Firefox does, which I highly doubt is the case.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Hyper: I mean up to the same standards Firefox does, which I highly doubt is the case.

I wouldn't know.

Posted by Klarth

IE ****ing sucks in comparison to Firefox. Seriously, I don't really get how there's even a contest here.

Oh, and if you're going to invoke the fact that a new version is coming out soon, I have four words for you: Firefox three point zero.

Posted by higbvuyb

IE 7 with Vista should be a lot more secure than IE6, which is it's main problem. It's also copied many of the features Firefox/Mozilla copied off somewhere else. It's just that Microsoft went retarded and decided to move the title bar that I probably won't bother getting it, even though it's faster than Firefox.

And take this, Firefox fanboys: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

Because Firefox ****ing sucks in comparison to Opera, which is faster, more compliant, more secure, and less buggy. Seriously, I don't really get how there's even a contest here.

Anyway, IE is closing the gap with Firefox a bit more with IE7.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

finally someone posted something with some merit

Posted by Hyper

Opera is great. It is indeed faster and better overall. I just don't use it because I never got used to it. I still have it installed to check coding and such though. I have my firefox customized how I want it, and it's fast enough.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: I have four words for you: Firefox three point zero.

I have three for you: I don't care

I have never had any major problems with IE to make me want to ditch it. IE 6 worked fine, and IE7 works even better than ever.

Posted by Klarth

Just because you haven't had any problems doesn't mean that Firefox isn't an improvement. It's like saying "well, I've got no problems with eating loaves of plain bread, so I don't want to put any marmalade on it because plain bread nourishes me without any problems lol".

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=higbvuyb]Because Firefox ****ing sucks in comparison to Opera, which is faster, more compliant, more secure, and less buggy. Seriously, I don't really get how there's even a contest here.

Opera looks worse than Firefox, has much less support, and is not very user friendly.

You've got to look at both sides of the issue...

Posted by Fate

Some professional websites work better with IE. Also, if I missed an episode of Heroes, I can't watch it in my Firefox browser because the blockers work so **** well.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Princess Fate: Some professional websites work better with IE. Also, if I missed an episode of Heroes, I can't watch it in my Firefox browser because the blockers work so **** well.

1) Yeah, because the vast majority of people use IE, so it makes sense to make their sites work in it. That's no excuse for not supporing Firefox fully as well, however.

2) Yar, I use IE for videos when I have to.

Posted by Fate

Some of them don't know about Firefox! I think some websites are made specifically to show in IE. I couldn't access some of my accounts online because of the sites' need for IE.

Posted by Hyper

Yeah, like microsoft.com, msn.com, etc

Posted by Klarth

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/

Use the user agent switcher extension; lets you access IE-specific sites with no problem - it fools sites into thinking you're using a non-firefox browser.

Posted by Fate

There's IE Tab. :cookie:

Posted by Klarth

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Never used it.

Yeah, I have it, never used it. Forgot about it until just now. Probably because I haven't run into any problems where I'd need to use IE.

Posted by Hammered On

I can't stand firefox, frankly. For me, it's a battle between IE7 and Opera (they'll have IE7 for Windows ME, right?).. I can't wait to see how it goes.

Opera wins.

Posted by Raptor

People still use IE, what?

Posted by Klarth

It's got the highest market share because, sadly, it's bundled with XP and morons use it.

[quote=Hammered On](they'll have IE7 for Windows ME, right?)
Hahahaha oh wow

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro: Opera wins.

Opera ftw, etc. I honestly didn't know what was meant by "IE7" at first because I try to avoid it like the plague. And I never have liked FireFox.

Seriously, internet browsers are just about the most boring thing ever. Just pick one and forget about it.

Posted by Apathetic

The problem with me is im to n00b to use all the controls that firefox has. Tabs and fasterfox, what else is there? :(

Posted by Hammered On

Quoting Klarth:
Hahahaha oh wow

My computer's too crap to run XP. :( Ah well, I plan to get a new one eventually.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

I used to love Firefox but it's become too feature-loaded and that's beginning to slow it down. Hopefully, it becomes a lot faster by the time 3.0 is finished. I, for one, switched to Opera.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Hammered On: (they'll have IE7 for Windows ME, right?)

Eh... no.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: I used to love Firefox but it's become too feature-loaded and that's beginning to slow it down. Hopefully, it becomes a lot faster by the time 3.0 is finished. I, for one, switched to Opera.

"Feature-loaded"? Firefox is the most bare-bones, simply designed browser out there, and if you install Fasterfox the memory footprint is waaaaaaaaaay down there. Seriously, everything upwards of 1.5 is very, very thin on that front.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting Klarth: "Feature-loaded"? Firefox is the most bare-bones, simply designed browser out there, and if you install Fasterfox the memory footprint is waaaaaaaaaay down there. Seriously, everything upwards of 1.5 is very, very thin on that front.
You wanna explain why it ends up taking up 300-500 megabytes of CPU space after half an hour, then?

As for bare bones, no, it's not even close to true bare-bones browsers such as Links, and it has far more little tweaks, quirks and features than MSIE.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Captain Cleanoff]
You wanna explain why it ends up taking up 300-500 megabytes of CPU space after half an hour, then?
"megabytes of cpu space"

wat

Posted by mis0

I guess he's talking about RAM? Really, firefox looks and feels like IE... so I guess it just doesn't crash? Opera is sophisticated, it's got the tabs, download manager, etc. I haven't really messed with fox too much, but we have it on the college computers, and when I looked at it I thought "huh, looks like IE".

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: "megabytes of cpu space"

wat

megahertz more likely...

Well folks... IE 7 final ver. is here! I will be checking it out now, and let you know how it turns out.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Klarth: "megabytes of cpu space"

wat

Megabytes of ram. Firefox apparently has an intentional memory leak.

And Firefox is getting bloated. There's a cut-down version of Firefox somewhere too.

Between firefox, itunes and norton I'm suprised my computer hasn't slowed to a grinding halt by now LOL

Too bad I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=higbvuyb]It's also copied many of the features Firefox/Mozilla copied off somewhere else
Firefox's latest feature of session restoration after a browser crash sounds familiar, you know, perhaps taken from Opera? If you're going to say Internet Explorer is bad because it has lifted ideas from Firefox, then you may as well be ready to say the same for Firefox. What else is a better program than taking ideas that actually work and implementing them in a functional manner? No one ever stated that the tabbed browsing, session restore or built-in search field is to be used by only one company, who, might I remind you, are open source.

Everyone who ever improves off Microsoft is essentially taking their "ideas". How else could it be improved if there wasn't something there to begin with to improve on?

[quote=Proto Man]Obsolete? Please explain. IE7 is a major upgrade.
Considering that it has taken Microsoft several self-proclaimed "major upgrades" of their Internet Explorer browser to get transparencies working within their browser is enough to call it obsolete. Meanwhile, real web browsers had transparencies under their belt for several versions, if not since their first.

[quote=Princess Fate]Some of them don't know about Firefox! I think some websites are made specifically to show in IE. I couldn't access some of my accounts online because of the sites' need for IE.
It isn't that the web site creators don't know about Firefox, it is more likely that they were told not to consider creating a Firefox-friendly website because their simply isn't enough of their market consumers using that browser to access their information. As someone who works in an industry such as multimedia and web access, they would have to live under a rock not to know about other rather popular browsers on the Internet that are actually used by others. In fact, it is usually part of their training and qualifications to know what the latest technological advancements are in their field and have the abilities to support them.

Personally, I don't find it that difficult to design a website that is compatible with Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera equally. Professional websites are exactly that - websites created by professionals as opposed to the absent minded, non-technologically savvy people.