Another Attack, eh?

Posted by Arcadios

Seems like a small airplane hit a building in NYC.
Some news channels say that it might be a terrorist attack and others say no.

BTW check this out.
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/4_year-old_boy_on_U.S._no-fly_list

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Whoa, really?

I'd like more info.

Posted by Arcadios

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/5922_1818367,0015002500000000.htm

Posted by Axis

Nope, it's not a terrorist attack. The plane belongs to New York Yankee's pitcher Corey Lidle, who was on board and is confirmed dead with 3 other people. 2 people on the plane, 2 in the apartment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6042306.stm

BBC are reporting two people are dead, and the FBI say it was not terrorism-related, although fighter jets are mobilised around the area.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

you people are doing the same crap that people get so ****ed off (myself included) at fox news for doing

Posted by Fate

Uh, what would that be?

Posted by Raptor

Now that's what I call a Bronx Bomber!

Posted by Porcupine

Assuming all plane crashes are terrorist related I'd assume, relating everything to 9-11, and the like.

Posted by junior senior

Cory Lidle from the New York Yankees is dead now.

rip :(

Posted by NES Queen

I find it funny that people over in Europe knew about this before us here in NY did (at my job at least). One of the staff scientists I work with got a call from a fellow researcher over in the UK asking if he was ok and if his appartment was damaged. We had no idea what he was talking about till we hopped onto the 'puter and saw.

It's definitely a bit nerve racking to hear "A plane just crashed into a building in the city" without knowing any other details.

So you didn't hear the massive explosion of firey death, then?

Posted by NES Queen

no, the sonic boom failed to penetrate through the walls of my laboratory after traveling the 25 miles from Manhatten to Port Washington. Or maybe I was just so enthralled with my western blot procedure for the quantitation of residual prion protein that I simply didn't notice....

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Princess Fate: Uh, what would that be?

tying everything that happens involving planes/cars/trains/people crashing with terrorism, saying "NO TERRORIST LINKS CONFIRMED AS OF YET" or "WE ARE STRESSING THAT THIS IS NOT TERRORIST RELATED" over and over ad nauseum to get the word ripping through people's minds to make them give a **** because it's more threatening. It's a typical news tactic, and it ****es me off because I see through it, and here people are doing it here. I just ASSUME that if "HOLY SHITBALLS TERRORISTS CRASH A PLANE INTO A BUILDING" isn't somewhere inthe heading then it isn't terrorist related, kthx

Posted by Fate

If this was terrorist related, I'd ask for my 9/11 security flight taxes back.

I was more shocked at the actual flight crash than the newscaster phrases like "this is not a terrorist attack". I said "OMG TERRORISTS" as a joke when I saw it. I didn't think for a second it could be actual terrorists.

But yeah, "another attack" seems to follow that news trend, and I don't like it.

Posted by s0ul

So the New York Yankees have been a secret terrorist organization all along. I should've known.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: tying everything that happens involving planes/cars/trains/people crashing with terrorism, saying "NO TERRORIST LINKS CONFIRMED AS OF YET" or "WE ARE STRESSING THAT THIS IS NOT TERRORIST RELATED" over and over ad nauseum to get the word ripping through people's minds to make them give a **** because it's more threatening. It's a typical news tactic, and it ****es me off because I see through it, and here people are doing it here. I just ASSUME that if "HOLY SHITBALLS TERRORISTS CRASH A PLANE INTO A BUILDING" isn't somewhere inthe heading then it isn't terrorist related, kthx

People need to just calm down and stop jumping to insane conclusions. The story will emerge with time, and ignoring the cable networks, especially Fox and Nancy Disgrace (CNN), are a good way to start. I mean, Fox put (D) for Democrat when they showed a picture of Foley, so they sure as Hell aren't innocent, but CNN really isn't any better.

Stupid ****ty media.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Did we really need to wait until the NEWS MEDIA told us that it wasn't a terrorist attack, to figure it out on our own? If this is a terrorist attack nowadays, then Bush would certainly be doing his job stopping terrorism! Last time they used planes for terrorism, there were four of 'em, and they were bigger than a freakin' Cessna. I mean, come on, it was a Yankee pitcher. How could he be a terrorist?

If it was a Dodger pitcher, on the other hand.....

Posted by Random

Even though it wasn't a terrorist attack, would terrorists even bother with such a small craft that would kill few if any?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

oh *** shaddup about terrorists already

Posted by KoH

Hey, it's only natural to assume it was a terrorist attack. I heard the news on the radio and immediately thought the same thing.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

[quote=KoH]Hey, it's only natural to assume it was a terrorist attack. I heard the news on the radio and immediately thought the same thing.It's only natural to assume that a single engine plane smashing into an apartment was a terrorist attack if you're STUPID, or if, unlike everybody else in the other 49 states, you actually care about what happens in New York.

Posted by Arwon

I agree with the peoples what said the things I agree with.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Imperial Phantom]It's only natural to assume that a single engine plane smashing into an apartment was a terrorist attack if you're STUPID, or if, unlike everybody else in the other 49 states, you actually care about what happens in New York.
New York has the stock market... the entire world has some dependency on the stock market. Yes, even you and your parents depend, to some extent, on the stock market. Obviously your arrogance has blinded you to the major historical even widely referred to as "The Stock Market Crash." If you don't recall such an event being spoken about during school, something which I can totally understand given your above post, then perhaps you can recall that it's taken years for the US stock market to restore itself up to this point since 9/11. You really don't care if your country is being attacked by terrorists? You miiight want to actually think a bit before you post again.

It's natural to assume that anything short of natural disasters occuring within the united states was caused by a terrorist faction. I know, you're sick of the thought that some guy out there wants to kill you. Boo-****ing-hoo. Grow up and understand what could potentially happen in life.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

A paper airplane just flew into my head. I fear it's the work of those dastardly terrorists. What do I do, VGC?! I'm too afraid to move.

Posted by ed elric

bomb the paper people of Clingar 5 right back

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Imperial Phantom: It's only natural to assume that a single engine plane smashing into an apartment was a terrorist attack if you're STUPID, or if, unlike everybody else in the other 49 states, you actually care about what happens in New York.

well given the fact that the only information initially available to us was that "A plane has just crashed into a building in Manhatten", it's perfectly logical to think back to five years ago when "Two planes have crashed into buildings in Manhatten" and assume something similar is going on.

When the first plane crashed into the towers 5yrs ago, everyone assumed it was some sort of accident, terrorism wasn't even in our mindset and no one believed that someone out there would intentionally do something as horrid as this. Until the second plane hit, followed by the one in Washington and the crash in PA. Nowadays, our mindset has changed. When you just hear that a plane crashed into a building, without knowing what type of plane, or which building, or any of the details involved, unfortunately our thinking now jumps to terrorism first and tragic accident second. That's just the way it is.

It's irresponsible of the media to run around trying to cause a panic in people without having the specific details of what truely is going on. But it certainly isnt "stupid" for people to naturally associate this crash with the ones from 5yrs ago, when they have no additional information about it at the time indicating otherwise. Yes, after hearing it was a small personal aircraft and it was an apartment building affected, that's different. But initially, no.

I'm not even going to touch your comment about not caring about what goes on in NY, since it would turn into an ugly argument about Christianity and egocentrism. But I personally do care about what happens here in NY, and even if I ever moved away to a far away land such as San Diego I would still care. But I guess that's just me and my stupidity.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'll never forget what my friend CK said about NY a few weeks ago. He said he was looking at t-shirt hell and saw the "I plane new york" shirt and thought it was funny. I admitted that, though it was very crude, it was a funny idea. Then he said "I've said it before and I'll say it again. . . 9/11 was a terrible thing, but it couldn't have happened to a better place." It seems many people don't like NYC

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

additionally: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Mj7A6_K39E

is a great view on how the media tends to. . . speculate too much

Posted by KoH

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lXtNrxo8FPg&mode=related&search=

That's the full episode. I prefer Colbert, but Jon Stewart's still funny as hell.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

why the hell is the first news link in this topic from the "hindustan times"? what the hell is hindustan?

a-rod should have been on that plane. that way it wouldn't have hit anything.

by the way, [URL="http://flickr.com/photos/minor9th/267206005/"]least-appropriately named eyewitness in the history of TV[/URL]

Posted by KoH

... What...?

Posted by Axis

That was a good capture by that guy.