If you make a movie and an actor smokes a cigarette in it, BAM! R-rating.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

http://smokefreemovies.ucsf.edu/solution/r_rating.html

I thought this was some kind of joke at first. There are actually people out there who think that any movie which depicts ANYONE using tobacco needs to have an immediate R-rating. There are even rumors that the movie would be preceeded by a surgeon general's warning, similar to the one on a pack of cigarettes.

Anti-smoking groups are seriously getting out of hand. I mean, I hate cigarettes myself. I think they're ridiculous and I have no clue why anyone would smoke them, but I can't believe that someone is actually fighting to make this happen.

What about television? Does that mean that no one on television can use tobacco? Typically the content that earns you an "R-rating" does not fly on cable TV. Nudity, excessive profanity, excessive violence and gore... And now smoking cigarettes?

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Ha, I guess many Looney Tunes episodes will now be rated TV-MA. :rolleyes:

Posted by Iris

Oh come ON. I know kids aren't that impressionable. This is just overkill.

Still, it's not like they need to smoke in movies. Sometimes it has a nice effect, but it's not really a necessity. They'll probably just be removed from the media completely, which isn't all that bad.

Posted by Slade

I guess it's alright if cigarettes are taken off TV, but I hope this doesn't deter films from having super badass dudes who smoke.

Those are my favorite. :(

Posted by The Judge

This is just pathetic. Anti-smokers need to take a reality check for just what actually influences people.

Posted by Arczu

That is going a bit far. I can think of countless scenarios where a side character (like the shifty mysterious types) would smoke a cigarette or a cigar, but that might be their only appearence.

If a movie is rated R, then a teen turns old enough to watch R-rated movies and finds nothing particularily offensive in the move to a younger viewer, that's not right. [/size]

Posted by Kit

I heard about them trying to stop the smoking scenes in Tom & Jerry cartoons a month or two ago, even though they've been running for at least 16 years. Kind of pointless, if you ask me.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Iris: Still, it's not like they need to smoke in movies.

Watch Thank You for Smoking, Boys Don't Cry, and Magnolia.

Nick Naylor: The message Hollywood needs to send out is 'Smoking Is Cool!'
Jeff Megall: Sony has a futuristic sci-fi movie they're looking to make.
Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank *** we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
Nick Naylor: Now what we need is a smoking role model. A real winner.
Jeff Megall: Indiana Jones meets Jerry Maguire.
Nick Naylor: Right, on two packs a day.

Posted by WackoHater2

Honestly, I agree. I HATE cigarettes. I think anyone smokes them is a total tard.

Posted by The Judge

You're not thinking about the subject at hand. We're saying it shouldn't be considered influential to young'ns.

Posted by WackoHater2

Well, it's not influental to some kids. I know it's not to my 3 and 5 year old cousins, because they see their mom do it and the smell makes them sick. But some kid who has no friends and is ridaculed by his parents may see some of the cooler people doing it. He may then wanna light up. I guess this arguement could go either way.

Posted by The Judge

No, because any moron who's so easily influenced deserves to be shot and shouldn't be considered such a part of an intelligent society.

Then again, who are we to call this society intelligent anyways.

Posted by Hammered On

Personally I'd rather see them smoke.. especially if the smoking itself is portrayed in a negative light.. But let's face it, people smoke... Lots of people.. You wouldn't believe how many packs of cigs I sell in a day. So protraying smoking is just like portraying golfing.. Sure, someone might pick up on golf after watching someone else do it, but, it's probably not going to affect people all that much. Especially if the parents sit down and talk to their kids about what's going on in the movie.. Especially explaining that smoking doesn't make someone "cool"..

e.g. "The main character in the movie is cool because he has charisma and can kick anyone's ***, not because he smokes. He would still be just as cool if he didn't smoke!"

Posted by Bebop

What is a R rating anyway? in England smoking is banned on stage performances. now i dont smoke and I dont like the idea but personally I wont brick myself over seeing a fag* in a film or on stage.

*[spoiler] I don't mean homosexuals.[/spoiler]

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Hammered On: You wouldn't believe how many packs of cigs I sell in a day.

HELLO MR. MERCHANT OF DEATH SIR.

This is incredibly moronic. I doubt too many kids start up smoking because a character in one of their favourite movies does it throughout. It a kid is influenced by a movie to start smoking, then he or she is just as if not more likely to be influenced by other sources, such as friends or family. Once again, effective parenting is the answer, not a push for more extreme forms of censorship.

What would the smokers in Waterworld be without cigarettes?

Posted by GameMiestro

Bob: "Hey Joe, I heard there's this awesome new movie where all the actors smoke. Want to go see it?"

Joe: "I wish I could, Bob, but we can't because it's rated R, and we're only 13. Every movie with with cigarettes is rated R now."

Bob: "You mean that only adults are allowed to know about smoking now? Maybe if we start smoking, everyone will think we are adults! Won't that be so cool?"

Joe: "You're right, Bob! Let's go buy a carton of Marlboros right now!"

[quote=Raptor]What would the smokers in Waterworld be without cigarettes?

Listening to Roxette, of course.

Posted by Colonel

Thats awful!

I'm Crying. Right now!

Posted by Zac

I agree with this

Posted by Bebop

What's an R Rating mean? In the Uk we have clearer certificates.

Posted by mis0

Quoting The Judge: No, because any moron who's so easily influenced deserves to be shot and shouldn't be considered such a part of an intelligent society.

Then again, who are we to call this society intelligent anyways.

*miso agrees, stuff, etc*

Seriously, if you're going to smoke, you will, and if you won't, you just won't. People who are pressured into trying things by their peers or are so incredibly impressionable shouldn't warrant this kind of protection. On the other hand, **** big tobacco, the lying bastards.

Posted by cas

People not that easily influenced? http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4460373

The not great movie "Sideways" has influenced enough people to make Merlot grapes no longer in demand.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Bebop: What's an R Rating mean? In the Uk we have clearer certificates.

"R" is the highest a credible movie can go without being grossly raunchy. Children with parents can go into an R-rated movie. NC-17 is for 17-year-olds and over, no children allowed at all. Team America was almost labeled NC-17 because of the lengthy puppet sex scenes, so they were cut down to get an "R" rating.

Posted by Omni

I always forget that I've never seen that movie, and people always tell me it's funny even though it's stupid. Anyway, I don't think we need to worry about cigarettes in movies. I've seen movies like that, and I don't smoke...

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Bebop: What's an R Rating mean? In the Uk we have clearer certificates.

"R" stands for "Restricted". There are several things that can get a film an "R" rating. Profanity, nudity, violence, gore...

There is one "worse" rating called "NC-17". It used to be called "X". But no film with an "NC-17" rating will ever be thought of as mainstream.

This group is insinuating that on-screen smoking falls into the same catergory as movies like "Sin City".

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Princess Fate: "R" is the highest a credible movie can go without being grossly raunchy. Children with parents can go into an R-rated movie. NC-17 is for 17-year-olds and over, no children allowed at all. Team America was almost labeled NC-17 because of the lengthy puppet sex scenes, so they were cut down to get an "R" rating.

Christ your rating system is dumb. Its basically a kid can see anything unless its too much. Our system is much better. R Rating sounds like a PG film. And to get a PG certifcate you need a few naughty words. Yours seems to broad. i mean in UK Team America was a 15 meaning no-one under 15 allowed. It's not this cigerrete thing thats dumb but the certificate system you have. You people are overreacting from the sounds of things.

Posted by ed elric

do now they are trying to deprive meh of meh anime? I mean almost every anime has a character that smokes for example:

FMA: leutenant havoc
trigun: almost everyone at one time or another

That's just the two in five seconds!!

that's it smoking is a disgusting habbit but when ya mess with my anime that tears it!!!! I'm about to go captain planet on their asses!!!!